PDA

View Full Version : 40 Man Roster

The Deacon
11-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Ryan Sweeney and Josh Fields were 2 notable people left off the 40-man roster. Is there a rule I'm not aware of that says teams can't come in and draft certain people left off the roster?

Fredsox
11-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Don't know about that, but what I thought was interesting was they put a 22-year old knuckle baller on the roster, Charles Haeger. Evidently the guy did a nice job in A and AA last season. I would LOVE to see us put a knuckle ball artist on the staff. I think they epitomize pitching versus throwing.

From the Sun Times "Haeger, 22 and the only knuckleballer in the Sox organization, was a combined 14-5 with a 3.50 ERA between Winston-Salem and Birmingham."

Entire article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox19.html)

julio-cruz
11-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Have Sweeney and Fields even been in the organization long enough to merit them on the 40-man? They were drafted 2-3 years ago.
Haeger! This will kick ***! :cool: Can't wait to see him pitch. Could be a cool bullpen option in 2006 (ala Bobby Jenks). Definitely need to keep the knuckleball tradition alive. It's crazy to see how many pitchers had a knuckleball in their repertoire back in the early 1900's.

rmusacch
11-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Ryan Sweeney and Josh Fields were 2 notable people left off the 40-man roster. Is there a rule I'm not aware of that says teams can't come in and draft certain people left off the roster?

Players who were 18 or younger on June 5 preceding the signing of their first contract must be protected after four minor league seasons. Players 19 and older must be protected after three seasons. By my count, Ryan and Josh wouldn't have to be protected until after the 2007 season if it is full seasons in the minors.

caulfield12
11-19-2005, 10:11 AM

As mentioned, it is just a procedural move and has nothing to do with what the organization thinks of these two guys.

As for the other post, not sure that knuckleballer would be a great bullpen option, as it would take him somet time to get his location. You could not bring him in with runners on...that is for sure. I see Haeger as one of many options for those last three bullpen roles that are being held by El Duque, Marte and Vizcaino at current time. Haeger would obviously be a swing man, spot starter and innings eater in blowouts one way or the other.

The Deacon
11-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Players who were 18 or younger on June 5 preceding the signing of their first contract must be protected after four minor league seasons. Players 19 and older must be protected after three seasons. By my count, Ryan and Josh wouldn't have to be protected until after the 2007 season if it is full seasons in the minors.

Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Fredsox
11-19-2005, 12:00 PM
As mentioned, it is just a procedural move and has nothing to do with what the organization thinks of these two guys.

As for the other post, not sure that knuckleballer would be a great bullpen option, as it would take him somet time to get his location. You could not bring him in with runners on...that is for sure. I see Haeger as one of many options for those last three bullpen roles that are being held by El Duque, Marte and Vizcaino at current time. Haeger would obviously be a swing man, spot starter and innings eater in blowouts one way or the other.

Who said anything about bullpen? I've seen some knuckleballers win a lot of games as starters and they're a lot of fun to watch. I go back a ways, I don't know how many of you got to see Wilbur Wood versus Vida Blue in the 70's. Add on to that the Niekro brothers, Willhelm, Wakefield, you've got some pretty good pitchers. It's good baseball and I'd love to see us have that aspect in the next year or two. Hell, we used to have 2 of 'em (Wood and Eddie Fischer) at one time.

jcw218
11-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Don't forget about Charlie Hough.

johnny_mostil
11-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Right. It's all about clocks. Gio Gonzales, Ray Liotta, Sweeney, Fields, Broadway, Hernandez... none of them need to be protected, yet.