PDA

View Full Version : Mike North "Prominent Role" in WSCR's Coverage of our White Sox

SouthSide_HitMen
11-19-2005, 01:55 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051118sherman,1,4200320.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

Meanwhile, Mike North will host the debut of "White Sox Weekly" at 11 a.m. Saturday on WSCR-AM 670. While he probably won't be the full-time analyst, this is another sure sign North will have a prominent role in the station's coverage of the Sox next year.

SoxSpeed22
11-19-2005, 02:09 AM
!@$#*&%#!:cuss::cuss::puking::thud:

Nellie_Fox
11-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Oh please, spare us. Are they totally tone deaf? Do they not understand the hatred North engenders? I get WSCR up here in the evening and early morning, and even to hear Sox talk I won't listen to North.

HotelWhiteSox
11-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Gotta find someway to make him earn that 1.8 mil("earn" used very loosely)

The Deacon
11-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I actually don't mind Mike North. That being said, I don't want him anywhere near a serious analytical SOX broadcast. He definitely has the wrong personality.

RallyBowl
11-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I actually don't mind Mike North. That being said, I don't want him anywhere near a serious analytical SOX broadcast. He definitely has the wrong personality.

I agree with you. I drive a hour to work, and in Central Illinois I don't have many radio options in the morning. So I ususally listen to North. And while I'm sure he's not as great as he probably thinks he is, I don't dislike him. I could see how you could, though. Having said that, I really don't think he is the right guy for a full time Sox gig. I hope that is not where this is heading.

Fredsox
11-19-2005, 09:56 AM
At this point I don't care who does the weekend radio shows. I'm dying for some radio hot stove talk. Even though North is an established putz I will at least try to listen and hope he has some good guests.

julio-cruz
11-19-2005, 10:32 AM
North epitomizes the worst stereotypes of Chicago.:angry: It is amazing that people actually give him a platform to spew his simplistic ideas on human relations. He is as useful Jim Belushi.

duke of dorwood
11-19-2005, 10:55 AM
He has had enough opportunities with me-you guys break down the shows for me, OK? Thanks :D:

RedPinStripes
11-19-2005, 11:03 AM
This will end up in a big soap apra. Someone with the Sox weather it's a player, Hawk, or whoever will end up giving North a swift kick in the balls before 06 is over.

I like the move to the score just because it's not a Yankee/RedCubs station whenthe Sox aren't on it, but they're asking for trouble here.

julio-cruz
11-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Isn't North a Hiney-bird? Did I spell that right?

hawkjt
11-19-2005, 11:33 AM
North is a guy who now claims to be a bog sox fan. I remember him saying he would never actually attend a sox game in person in years past altho he and the wife had season tickets to cubs games. Always amazed me how someone who would get free tickets to sox games and despite being a ''big'' fan of the sox would not bother to go to the games. Poseur of the worst variety. As well as being just dumb.

flo-B-flo
11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Now that the games will be on the score, they will feature this Chicago windbag. The signal will be better out here so I'm looking forward to that. But, this is disheartening. I just can't listen to that caricature of that " da this and da dat" bull****. Please mike go watch the c---.:mad:

Lip Man 1
11-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Gang:

Two things.

First...you can make your displeasure known to the folks at WSCR and more importantly the advertisers.

and more importantly, two.....you STILL don't see or hear anybody from the Sox confirming this do you? Until then (and I don't think it's going to happen) don't worry. The White Sox management isn't that stupid. Mike North will NOT be doing color during the broadcasts.

Lip

NardiWasHere
11-19-2005, 01:17 PM
:whocares

Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape? If you all hate North as much as you say that you do, don't listen to the show. This is not saying he is gonna be in the booth, or even do pre/post games. ITS A ONCE A WEEK SHOW! And for those who say he's gonna get into a fight with hawk or that north is a 'hiney-bird' are mistaken. Hawk likes him and always has been a frequent guest of his. North is an idiot. I'm not denying the fact that some people might not like his radioshow.... but no one is forcing you to listen to some saturday morning Sox recap show!! It'll most likely be like the old "Dick Jauron Show" or the one they have with Tillman and Moose now.... just a recap show of the past few games. Every one needs to relax.

chisoxfanatic
11-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Mike North were given the pre-game and post-game shows. Fortunately, I listen to Comcast's coverage instead, so I don't listen to the radio for Sox games.

MikeKreevich
11-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Mike North is a bad choice, I'd pick Mike Murphy.

:chunks

Dick Allen
11-19-2005, 07:48 PM
North is a guy who now claims to be a bog sox fan. I remember him saying he would never actually attend a sox game in person in years past altho he and the wife had season tickets to cubs games. Always amazed me how someone who would get free tickets to sox games and despite being a ''big'' fan of the sox would not bother to go to the games. Poseur of the worst variety. As well as being just dumb.Mike North IS a life-long Sox fan, as he has stated many times since the Score first went on the air. However, his wife is a Cub fan (better him than me) :D:.

MarySwiss
11-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Mike North IS a life-long Sox fan, as he has stated many times since the Score first went on the air. However, his wife is a Cub fan (better him than me) :D:.

Believe it or not, I also have one of those mixed marriages. (That's what happens when you marry someone you haven't known for very long! He also likes Led Zepplin, while I am an Arlo Guthrie fan.)

However, Mr.MarySwiss swears he's a "Chicago fan." I cut him slack because we've been married for 30 years. And because he knows that I come from generations of Sox fans and will stand my ground. Whereas he, like most Cub fans, will--if challenged--fold like a cheap suit!

LongLiveFisk
11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
North epitomizes the worst stereotypes of Chicago.:angry: It is amazing that people actually give him a platform to spew his simplistic ideas on human relations. He is as useful Jim Belushi.

I agree with that. Especially his whiny, overly nasal voice. Everytime people outside the area hear him, they must think we all talk like him. His is not a fair representation of the Chicago accent (thank God for that!)

JayBeast
11-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Anything but George Offerman!!!

TONY23
11-19-2005, 09:23 PM
MIKE NORTH IS NOT MY GUYY!!!:mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MILTMAY5
11-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I like Mike North for the same reasons I like Hawk and loved Harry Caray, there not those boring, generic announcers that you see/hear doing Fox NFL or on most of the Fox Sports Net broadcasts.

dugwood31
11-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I can't imagine North being the color analyst for the Sox next year. That's comforting. But I hate the idea of having to listen to him if I want to hear the weekly, hour-long weekend show. First time we have a four game losing streak, he'll be calling for someone's head. This guy is clueless, has no perspective, and appeals to the lowest common demoninator. I'd take Cangelosi, Kittle, Bernstein...anyone but North.

chisox77
11-20-2005, 12:00 AM
I can tolerate Mike North - but as a radio talk show host with an equal partner (if possible) who sticks to a variety of sports topics. I cannot stand him in his present role as a morning drive personality who is allowed to talk about anything. It has made him very hard to listen to.

I'm not sure what the White Sox are thinking, but even if they do give North this chance, he may hang himself at some point. As for his integrity as a real Sox fan, I think he is, because North has stated it from the start of the Score back in 1992.

Perhaps the thing many of us can't stand about him anymore is that his ego has grown, and his bulldozing of colleagues and guests seems to be getting worse. North is a proven ratings performer, but the thing that got him this high may eventually sink him.

HotelWhiteSox
11-20-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't like his radio shows and hate how he compares himself to the common man when he makes millions of dollars and goes home to a mansion (he may have used to be one, but things have changed).

That said, I wouldn't mind him in the booth. He'd bring honesty, and him and Farmer wouldn't sugarcoat anything, unlike the TV booth. It'd also be fun to listen to a Farmer/North argument, as neither would give in to the other. I already heard them bickering at each other a couple weeks ago about some stupid little issue when Farmer was on his show.

That said again, this is just a weekly radio show, and doesn't mean he'll be the pre/post guy or the analyst in the booth

julio-cruz
11-20-2005, 10:03 AM
What made me want to vomit was listening to him go over the potential 2006 lineup on the new WSCR Sox show. I haven't felt that violated since my last doctor's visit!:o:

TommyJohn
11-20-2005, 11:00 AM
I believe Marlon Brando said it best at the end of "Apocalypse Now":

The horror......the horror.....

PaulDrake
11-20-2005, 11:05 AM
ego has grown, and his bulldozing of colleagues and guests seems to be getting worse. North is a proven ratings performer, but the thing that got him this high may eventually sink him. He didn't bulldoze Ozzie, that's for sure. One can only hope that he is about to "sink".

kevin57
11-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I can't count myself in the "Hate Mike North" crowd. I don't think he would make a good analyst in day-by-day play. I think everyone would grow weary of his endless opinions on everything. Also, I couldn't imagine him playing second fiddle to anyone.

That said, he has professed his loyalty to the Sox years ago, and I think he is down-to-earth and pretty common-sensical in his views. I can take him in regular, if only bite sized, doses.

Fake Chet Lemon
11-20-2005, 05:19 PM
The flagship station is usually loaded with kiss-arses. North is anything but that, and that's great. If Ozzie ticks us all off with some bizarre moves in April, North will listen to us complain and give us our voice. Do you think John Rooney would have ripped the team or manager if deserved on his weekend show last season? Heck no! Give me a guy like North on the flagship not afraid to rip the organization when deserved. What until DumbArseO Marte blows his third game by April 10th and you'll all agree with me 100%! Remember when Hawk Harrelson would always get on the air and defend Jerry Manual publically, even though you knew he couldn't stand Manual either? North won't lie to us like that.

markopat
11-20-2005, 07:04 PM
I can't count myself in the "Hate Mike North" crowd. I don't think he would make a good analyst in day-by-day play. I think everyone would grow weary of his endless opinions on everything. Also, I couldn't imagine him playing second fiddle to anyone.

That said, he has professed his loyalty to the Sox years ago, and I think he is down-to-earth and pretty common-sensical in his views. I can take him in regular, if only bite sized, doses.

North is like Howard Stern...Sometimes he makes a great point and is relentless, and other times, you GOTTA shut him off or you'll hurl...He is A SOX backer though and I do like that!

Word...

TornLabrum
11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
North is like Howard Stern...Sometimes he makes a great point and is relentless, and other times, you GOTTA shut him off or you'll hurl...He is A SOX backer though and I do like that!

Word...

I've yet to hear Mike North make a great point about anything.

duke of dorwood
11-20-2005, 08:12 PM

His head comes to a great point

Dick Allen
11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I agree with that. Especially his whiny, overly nasal voice. Everytime people outside the area hear him, they must think we all talk like him. His is not a fair representation of the Chicago accent (thank God for that!)One of his sidekicks, Ann Maxfield, is the one who has the nasal voice. Her, I can't tolerate, even if the content of anything she said interested me in the least, which it doesn't.

gforce
11-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't worry about North broadcasting Sox games. You have to be a 150% bonafide homer. If not, they get rid of you. Just ask Steve Stone.

The Critic
11-21-2005, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't worry about North broadcasting Sox games. You have to be a 150% bonafide homer. If not, they get rid of you. Just ask Steve Stone.

Wait a minute - Stone worked the Sox games, and they fired him????
....I must've missed it....
:tongue:

gf2020
11-21-2005, 12:34 AM
I really hate North, but I have to give him credit for how he jumped on the Scott Skiles situation this summer. It's one of the few times that I've seen a Chicago sports media personality make a positive difference.

Nellie_Fox
11-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Years ago, I coined a phrase for North: aggressively ignorant. Even when he's absolutely proved wrong, his response is something like "I don't care, I still think..."

He also did WAY too much Cubs butt-smooching over the years to convince me that he's a Sox fan. It takes more than a declaration.

MillerSoxFan
11-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I can tolerate Mike North - but as a radio talk show host with an equal partner (if possible) who sticks to a variety of sports topics. I cannot stand him in his present role as a morning drive personality who is allowed to talk about anything. It has made him very hard to listen to.

I'm not sure what the White Sox are thinking, but even if they do give North this chance, he may hang himself at some point. As for his integrity as a real Sox fan, I think he is, because North has stated it from the start of the Score back in 1992.

Perhaps the thing many of us can't stand about him anymore is that his ego has grown, and his bulldozing of colleagues and guests seems to be getting worse. North is a proven ratings performer, but the thing that got him this high may eventually sink him.

I agree, North used to be easier to stomach before this morning show debacle. I used to listen to WSCR all the time but in the past few years they have let all the quality broadcasters go and promoted all the bigmouths. Julie Swieca used to be decent (and a huge Sox fan) and they let her go because she refused to talk about acquiring Greg Maddux for her entire show.

cheeses_h_rice
11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
One of his sidekicks, Ann Maxfield, is the one who has the nasal voice. Her, I can't tolerate, even if the content of anything she said interested me in the least, which it doesn't.

I agree. She has the worst Chicago accent of anyone on the radio today, and she can't even talk that well. Apparently she owes her placement on the Mike North Morning Trainwreck to the fact that her husband and North are good friends.

Listening to her and Mike discuss politics is like sticking your crotch into a flaming cauldron of hot oil.

Dick Allen
11-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree. She has the worst Chicago accent of anyone on the radio today, and she can't even talk that well. Apparently she owes her placement on the Mike North Morning Trainwreck to the fact that her husband and North are good friends.

Listening to her and Mike discuss politics is like sticking your crotch into a flaming cauldron of hot oil.Actually, her husband is Harvey Wells, who's a bigwig at the Infinity stations. I hate nepotism.

AZSoxFAN
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Years ago, I coined a phrase for North: aggressively ignorant. Even when he's absolutely proved wrong, his response is something like "I don't care, I still think..."

He also did WAY too much Cubs butt-smooching over the years to convince me that he's a Sox fan. It takes more than a declaration.

You got it! He's a know it all who's act has grown thin.

John Barrett
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Maybe we can nip it in the bud.... Infinity must hear what sox fans want!
programming@670thescore.com

SoxFan78
11-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Don't go speaking for all Sox fans. I happen to like Mike North!

Nellie_Fox
11-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Don't go speaking for all Sox fans. I happen to like Mike North!So, you're the one!

Fenway
11-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Maybe we can nip it in the bud.... Infinity must hear what sox fans want!
programming@670thescore.com

The guy you need to write to is

Joel Hollander, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (http://www.infinitybroadcasting.com/about/joel_hollander.php)
Infinity Broadcasting
1515 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
212-846-3939

He made his mark at Infinity with sports

Hollander was General Manager of WFAN-AM New York. An original member of the WFAN team, Hollander played a major role in the steady yet spectacular rise of WFAN to its current position as one of the most successful radio stations in the country. Under Hollander's leadership, WFAN rode an unprecedented 11-year streak as the leader in sports talk radio and became the number one revenue generating station in America.

Dan Mega
11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
So, you're the one!

:boston

"Who me? Oh, him! Yes, he was the 'one' I picked!"

gobears1987
11-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't go speaking for all Sox fans. I happen to like Mike North!Excuse me for asking, but are you freaking insane?

chaerulez
11-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Mike North has nothing intelligent to say and no credibility as a broadcast journalist. Having him on the pregame show or even using him in any official white sox broadcast capacity I think lowers the integrity of the whole production.

pauliemvp
11-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Mike North has nothing intelligent to say and no credibility as a broadcast journalist. Having him on the pregame show or even using him in any official white sox broadcast capacity I think lowers the integrity of the whole production.

That says it all. No Mike North, ever.

antitwins13
11-21-2005, 08:19 PM

and I thought I was the craziest poster at WSI. :kukoo:

pissonthecubs
11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
To a certain point, I too like North. I don't blindly agree with everything he says and think he is the greatest ever, but I do listen to him. There are times when I don't care for what he is talking about and that is when I use my power of hitting the button to change over to XM and listen to something else. If there is one person I can't stand listening to, it is Bernstien telling me that everyones opinion is wrong compared to his. All that being said, I think that having North doing either pre/post, or game broadcast would be a bad idea. He just doesn't fit the part in my mind. Whether he does it to just get people fired up or it is how he really thinks, something little sways how he thinks about that thing way too much. A 3 game loosing streak in late April, and its the end of the world. Win one game by 10 runs, and they won't lose another game ever. A guy like Stiener would be great, but I don't see it happening. I hate Farmer, to me he doesn't bring anything to the table. Listening to all the other radio teams on XM next year will remind me how good some teams have it and how we let a great guy like Rooney get away.

ShoelessJoeS
11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
I just emailed my 2 cents. C'mon Sox fans, we need to keep MN as far away from the production of a White Sox game as possible!!!

TornLabrum
11-21-2005, 08:54 PM

You're the one!

IronFisk
11-21-2005, 09:21 PM
You're the one!

:rolling:

Personally, I have no use for North. Apparently, many do, but he should NOT be involved in any official broadcasting capacity for the Sox, period. WAY too emotional for anyone's taste. Hey, that's me too - but I won't pretend to keep an even keel either!

Palehose13
11-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Does North actually talk about sports? But seriously...I don't care for North. I don't think he offers any sort of insight. It's like listening to some guy at the end of the bar who thinks he knows what he's talking about, but he doesn't and everyone just rolls their eyes when he talks. However, I do think North has one skill...he is a pretty good interviewer.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
So you're saying Mike North is Cliff Clavin? :smile:

Lip

Palehose13
11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
So you're saying Mike North is Cliff Clavin? :smile:

Lip

Absolutely. Great call, Lip.

tebman
11-21-2005, 10:05 PM
What he said.

Ditto.

Hear, hear.

Leave North to his low-rated morning rant-fest, and let us hear someone who knows baseball and can convey the game as it unfolds. The possibility of North being involved in the game broadcasts makes me twitch. Ugh.

SoxFan78
11-22-2005, 10:24 AM
and I thought I was the craziest poster at WSI. :kukoo:

This coming from a Packer fan!!

Anyways, yes I like Mike North, and no matter what i say on here on why I like him you guys will rip on me and tell me im retared, stupid etc.

I dont know why I like him, maybe cause he gives his opinion and im entertained by it. No I dont agree with everything he says, but hearing opinions different then mine wont skew my views in any way.

Do I think he should be on Sox broadcasts? Hell no, hes not a color/play by play guy, he's a talk show host. Should he be on pre/post game? Well I dont even think he would do it. No way he could host his morning show and do the pre/post game, it would take a toll.

Nobody can deny that Mike North is a huge Sox fan. If you need evidence, go on the Score web site and listen to his interview with Ozzie.

For all the North haters, it sucks that you are forced to listen to him every morning....Oh wait, you are not forced to listen to him, you can just change the station.

Nellie_Fox
11-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Nobody can deny that Mike North is a huge Sox fan. If you need evidence, go on the Score web site and listen to his interview with Ozzie.One interview is evidence? The guy is a bandwagon jumper who slobbered all over the Cubs and "my guy" Sammy Sosa for years. That, my friend, is not a Sox fan.

TomBradley72
11-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I could probably tolerate North is his focus was purely on sports. But when he starts to migrate into politics, current affairs, etc...he's completely useless.

A few years ago...when the WSox had Olivo/Alomar/Paul as their three catchers....and they released Paul...he pretty much said that KW made the decision based on race....he took about 100 steps back in my book...

soxfan1965
11-23-2005, 10:22 AM

I tend to agree. By the way, what is his background / credentials? I know he was in the service but any kind of formal education?

spiffie
11-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I tend to agree. By the way, what is his background / credentials? I know he was in the service but any kind of formal education?
He saw a book once. It scared him. He never approached such a thing again.

tstrike2000
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Anyways, yes I like Mike North, and no matter what i say on here on why I like him you guys will rip on me and tell me im retared, stupid etc.

I would never say that about anyone. Of course North's over the top personality and comments some people like and/or find entertaining. You're right though that North is bascially a talk show host. I've never cared for him and always thought his opinions were unresearched or just for ratings. Hopefully, he has nothing to do with Chicago White Sox radio broadcasts in any form.

Nobody can deny that Mike North is a huge Sox fan. If you need evidence, go on the Score web site and listen to his interview with Ozzie.

One interview is evidence? The guy is a bandwagon jumper who slobbered all over the Cubs and "my guy" Sammy Sosa for years. That, my friend, is not a Sox fan.

Have to agree with Nellie. I've never really heard North having an allegiance to anyone except who is popular and/or winning in Chicago. He would talk about Sammy over and over and over again...to a sickening degree. Thank God those days are over. Whatever the city gives him to talk about in his blabbering voice, he'll do.

SoxFan78
11-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Have to agree with Nellie. I've never really heard North having an allegiance to anyone except who is popular and/or winning in Chicago. He would talk about Sammy over and over and over again...to a sickening degree. Thank God those days are over. Whatever the city gives him to talk about in his blabbering voice, he'll do.

The reason why I brought up North's interview with Ozzie is because North talks about how he has been a fan of the sox since way back. I dont have the exact quotes but he was knowledgeable. As long as I have listened to him, he has always been a fan of the Sox first, Cubs second. Has he ripped the Sox? Of course he has. I bet most people on this board have ripped our Sox on occasion, myself included, but hes still a fan.

Im not arguing that North should be on the Sox broadcasts, he shouldnt. He's a talk show host, not a color/play by play guy.

But I also think that if, and this is a very small if, if North is involved in the broadcast of our World Champion White Sox in 2006, just don't listen. Turn on Hawk and DJ instead.

The product is still the same.

Alright, im done, let the Mike North bashing continue.

Lip Man 1
11-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Sox Fan:

You mean as 'knowledgeable' as he was on Chicago Tribune Live! where he pontificated on how 'all the Sox needed to do was win one game the last week in 1967 and they'd have won the pennant'?

Lip

miker
11-23-2005, 03:05 PM
C'mon...it's Mike North...the name says it all!

If you find him entertaining, good for you, keep listening.

Personally, he doesn't do anything for me except annoy me (and from the postings here, quite a few other people) and for that reason I am not in favor of him being involved or identified with the White Sox or their broadcasts.

That having been said, is ABC 7 political reporter Andy Shaw still in the running?:o:

JorgeFabregas
11-23-2005, 11:32 PM

High-school dropout, GED (I assume), and he went to community college for a little bit to shoot outside jumpshots on the basketball team. Not that any of this necessarily makes him a bad broadcaster. I'm just not a big fan.

TommyJohn
11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Sox Fan:

You mean as 'knowledgeable' as he was on Chicago Tribune Live! where he pontificated on how 'all the Sox needed to do was win one game the last week in 1967 and they'd have won the pennant'?

Lip

He said it on the radio, too. I knew he was an idiot doofus jackass blowhard
dumbass jerk gorilla baboon racist swine before then, but hearing that tripe
from a guy who claims to be a big Sox fan who remembers that season just
confirmed it.