PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie vs. Schmidt

RichH55
12-17-2001, 12:28 PM
Well JR and KW seemed to be willing to add FAs as long as they are allowed to play semantics. Erstad would have had FA looming over his head like the Sword of Damacles, and yet it appeared that the braintrust would have signed him long-term which would have added substancially to the payroll albeit for a good cause(Lead-off hitter, improved CF, and leverage when Durham becomes a FA since he wont be the only game in town at lead-off)

So that brought me to Schmidt who signed a 4 year, 31 million dollar deal which averages out to like 7.5 million a year, so assuming how contracts escalate thats roughly 6.25-6.75 million for this year. From what I've read about Ritchie i'm assuming 2.8-3.0 million a year, so essentially all things being equal those 3 pitchers we dealt saved us 3.25-3.75 million in payroll. Not exactly that great. I know JR hates 4 year deals on pitchers but Schmidt is only 28-29 and probably better than Ritchie than I assumed they were equal for the sake of analysis. Ritchie did pitch about 50 more innings last year, but also at a higher ERA....Well i don't think that staying out of the FA market is neccessarily a bad thing(I would be scared if my team was talking about Tino Martinez), but to say it publically backs you into a corner....I'm telling you send KW a copy of The Art of War for Christmas

Spiff
12-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well JR and KW seemed to be willing to add FAs as long as they are allowed to play semantics. Erstad would have had FA looming over his head like the Sword of Damacles, and yet it appeared that the braintrust would have signed him long-term which would have added substancially to the payroll albeit for a good cause(Lead-off hitter, improved CF, and leverage when Durham becomes a FA since he wont be the only game in town at lead-off)

So that brought me to Schmidt who signed a 4 year, 31 million dollar deal which averages out to like 7.5 million a year, so assuming how contracts escalate thats roughly 6.25-6.75 million for this year. From what I've read about Ritchie i'm assuming 2.8-3.0 million a year, so essentially all things being equal those 3 pitchers we dealt saved us 3.25-3.75 million in payroll. Not exactly that great. I know JR hates 4 year deals on pitchers but Schmidt is only 28-29 and probably better than Ritchie than I assumed they were equal for the sake of analysis. Ritchie did pitch about 50 more innings last year, but also at a higher ERA....Well i don't think that staying out of the FA market is neccessarily a bad thing(I would be scared if my team was talking about Tino Martinez), but to say it publically backs you into a corner....I'm telling you send KW a copy of The Art of War for Christmas

Yeh I don't know why they just made a declaration like that. If you don't think you're gonna sign anyone, ok, but keep your options open.

Ohhhh to be a fly on the wall during a JR/KW meeting...

LongDistanceFan
12-17-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

So that brought me to Schmidt who signed a 4 year, 31 million dollar deal which averages out to like 7.5 million a year, so assuming how contracts escalate thats roughly 6.25-6.75 million for this year. From what I've read about Ritchie i'm assuming 2.8-3.0 million a year, so essentially all things being equal those 3 pitchers we dealt saved us 3.25-3.75 million in payroll. Not exactly that great. I know JR hates 4 year deals on pitchers but Schmidt is only 28-29 and probably better than Ritchie than I assumed they were equal for the sake of analysis. Ritchie did pitch about 50 more innings last year, but also at a higher ERA....Well i don't think that staying out of the FA market is neccessarily a bad thing(I would be scared if my team was talking about Tino Martinez), but to say it publically backs you into a corner....I'm telling you send KW a copy of The Art of War for Christmas good points, and i agree