PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting...

IronFisk
11-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Okay, I hijacked this image from another post. Fans celebrating the 1959 pennant...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/sox59crown.jpg

Now, just about a month ago...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/data/media/12/smll_005.jpg

Other than the advent of color photography and abundance of women, notice another profound difference?

Didn't they sell Sox merchandise in 50's? If there was truly an example to make the case that marketing has overrun our society, these pics make it.

Not that I'm arguing...next up, a Sox wind chime! :redneck

chisoxfan64
11-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Notice the little kid standing on the table in the first picture.:?:

The Critic
11-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Notice the little kid standing on the table in the first picture.:?:
He is now the guy underneath the Daily Specials sign in the 2005 picture....
:D: :redneck

TornLabrum
11-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Didn't they sell Sox merchandise in 50's?

Not to adults. Kids wore that kind of stuff. I always had a cap before I was 10-12 years old, and I remember around '59 having a jacket like the retro one they sell now to adults with the red shoulders and Sox logo. Adults didn't wear that kind of stuff.

veeter
11-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I didn't notice anything except the girl right in front. WOW.

paciorek1983
11-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I didn't notice anything except the girl right in front. WOW.

Double WOW!! Hey, where was that taken? I need woman:dtroll: :smile:

Red Barchetta
11-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Not to adults. Kids wore that kind of stuff. I always had a cap before I was 10-12 years old, and I remember around '59 having a jacket like the retro one they sell now to adults with the red shoulders and Sox logo. Adults didn't wear that kind of stuff.

Different times back then. Not as much disposable income.

johnny bench
11-18-2005, 09:19 PM

That would explain the Schlitz, then. :D:

Daver
11-18-2005, 09:23 PM
That would explain the Schlitz, then. :D:

Back then Schlitz was premium beer, as was Blatz.

Brian26
11-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Someone brought this topic up a couple of weeks ago, and it was a really interesting, profound discussion. A lot of it has to do with disposable income, but I also think much has to do with the availability of product now. Even going back 20 years, it was really difficult to get an authentic hat or jersey or a nice t-shirt. I didn't own my first New Era fitted hat until around '89.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Someone brought this topic up a couple of weeks ago, and it was a really interesting, profound discussion. A lot of it has to do with disposable income, but I also think much has to do with the availability of product now. Even going back 20 years, it was really difficult to get an authentic hat or jersey or a nice t-shirt. I didn't own my first New Era fitted hat until around '89.

Appearantly it still is a problem - your thread is 58 posts and counting

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62287

santo=dorf
11-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Double WOW!! Hey, where was that taken? I need woman:dtroll: :smile:

I took that picture at Legends down at U of I.

Hitmen77
11-18-2005, 10:15 PM
It's not represented in the picture above, but did you ever notice that in pictures from ballgames from the 50s, all the men were wearing ties and hats. Very different from today.

FedEx227
11-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Nice to see Bill Russell is a Sox fan.

soxfanatlanta
11-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Um...you should have thought about hitting the submit button just a bit longer on this one.

Professor
11-19-2005, 08:46 AM

Or, perhaps, adults didn't dress in such attire? In general, people didn't dress like walking billboards back then, even for their sports teams.

Tragg
11-19-2005, 09:15 AM

Until the mid-late 1870s, Schlitz was neck and neck with Bud for the top regular beer. And almost overnight, Schlitz was off the map.

TornLabrum
11-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Until the mid-late 1870s, Schlitz was neck and neck with Bud for the top regular beer. And almost overnight, Schlitz was off the map.

Wow! That waws about 130 years ago!

Seriously, though, there was a slight problem with Schlitz then. The brewmaster died, taking the recipe with him. The new brewmaster apparently thought people would love the taste of swill.

Then there was the ill-fated "drink Schlitz or I'll kill you" advertising campaign that came out about the same time. Suddenly Stroh's and Miller were bigger names than Schlitz.

Tragg
11-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Wow! That waws about 130 years ago!

Seriously, though, there was a slight problem with Schlitz then. The brewmaster died, taking the recipe with him. The new brewmaster apparently thought people would love the taste of swill.

Then there was the ill-fated "drink Schlitz or I'll kill you" advertising campaign that came out about the same time. Suddenly Stroh's and Miller were bigger names than Schlitz.

Whoops - little typo there.

Interesting - I had always wondered why Schlitz died so quickly. Strohs has never done much business down south. Coors began to go national in the 1980s, which also accelerated their demise I suppose. Isn't Old Milwaukee from the Schlitz brewery?
Surprised the guys in that picture weren't drinking Old Style?

IronFisk
11-19-2005, 03:38 PM
:rolleyes:Whoops - little typo there.

Interesting - I had always wondered why Schlitz died so quickly. Strohs has never done much business down south. Coors began to go national in the 1980s, which also accelerated their demise I suppose. Isn't Old Milwaukee from the Schlitz brewery?

I just love how these posts tanget! Old Style? Hasn't that always been banned on the south side?

Oh yeah, I have to second that comment a bit back...that does look like Bill Russell in the middle...add a foot to him and dead ringer.

fusillirob1983
11-19-2005, 11:31 PM
And I recognize nobody in that picture, wow.

santo=dorf
11-20-2005, 05:47 PM
So that's why Fenway originally posted the picture. :tongue:

ZachAL
11-20-2005, 07:22 PM

Also I saw an article recently where the author argues that tshirts are the new pennants for this day and age. Because back in the 1950's etc. pennants were all the rage and tshirts werent as freely printed so the sale of them was more abundant. Now people can collect tshirts rather than just pennants.

MarySwiss
11-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Whoops - little typo there.

Schlitz is actually available out my way. Although why anyone would want it....

MarySwiss
11-20-2005, 07:30 PM

Yup, here's the slogan (sing it out if you know it!) --"Blatz is Milwaukee's finest beer."

voodoochile
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Different fashion statements too for different eras. Men wore suits back then all the time. Now most offices are casual.

Women mostly wore dresses in the 50's and on into the 60's even. Watch old dance programs and you will see teenage boys in suits and girls in dresses.

you dressed up by society standards to be seen in public.

Now a nice pair of jeans and a matching fancy t-shirt with color matched baseball cap and you are "done to the nines".

It is funny how times have changed, but not shocking that no one was wearing a baseball cap or t-shirt in the 50's photo.

IggyD
11-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Schlitz is actually available out my way. Although why anyone would want it....

Schlitz was popular back in the day...My dad would drink it...he like the idea of being able to put it on the rocks because it is a malt liquor and the potency.

Baby Fisk
11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
They sell Schlitz up here and it's the only American beer I like. Is something wrong with me? :unsure: