PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones

getonbckthr
11-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Is renegotiating his contract to free the needed money to resign Furcal and go after a closer.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9049551

veeter
11-18-2005, 09:48 AM
An organizational move from one of the good guys in baseball. Although, he's still going to get his money.

RallyBowl
11-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Now that right there is a MAN. Nice work Chipper, way to take one for the team.

SOXPHILE
11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
...but...but...no ! Furcal is going to the Cubs anyways. He's always wanted to play here. It's his life long dream. He wants to play for a winning team for a change. One with history. Besides, it's his and all the other team's duty to do everything they can to ensure that the Cubs get all the best players. Doesn't Chipper know that ?

cbrownson13
11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Supposedly the Mets are certain he will sign with the Cubs.

ssirish317
11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
J/C, are they just deferring the amount of his salary reduction?

SouthSoxFan
11-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, just deferred. He can't reduce the overall value of his contract - players' union says no. Remember that was a big issue in the A-Rod to Boston negotiations a couple years ago.

Unregistered
11-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Now that right there is a MAN. Nice work Chipper, way to take one for the team.Yep. Other than cheating on his wife with a Hooters waitress and having an illegitimate kid, he's a real M-A-N. :cool:

Nice of you to defer your millions of dollars, Chipper.

getonbckthr
11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Yep. Other than cheating on his wife with a Hooters waitress and having an illegitimate kid, he's a real M-A-N. :cool:

Many of us have dreamed of this accomplishment (hooters girl) minus the kid and all.:wink:

skobabe8
11-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Yep. Other than cheating on his wife with a Hooters waitress and having an illegitimate kid, he's a real M-A-N. :cool:

Nice of you to defer your millions of dollars, Chipper.

That post really made me laugh out loud for some reason. :smile:

fquaye149
11-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Many of us have dreamed of this accomplishment (hooters girl) minus the kid and all.:wink:

Hmm...most of my fantasies don't involve cheating on my significant other.

But honestly - this is a nice gesture, but really it's not that much of a self-sacrifice. It's not like he's giving up any money (besides inflation, I guess)

ChiSoxRowand
11-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Without the cheating and without the kid-yes I have.

getonbckthr
11-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Without the cheating and without the kid-yes I have. See i'm not the only 1.

Hendu
11-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Wow. For all the empty talk from guys like A-Rod about wanting to win a championship...if he had agreed to do something like this, things might have turned out differently in Texas. Of course, he flirted with the idea in the media but then didn't put his money where his mouth was.

Nice to see that one of the marquee players cares as much about winning as the size of his paycheck.

fquaye149
11-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow. For all the empty talk from guys like A-Rod about wanting to win a championship...if he had agreed to do something like this, things might have turned out differently in Texas. Of course, he flirted with the idea in the media but then didn't put his money where his mouth was.

Nice to see that one of the marquee players cares as much about winning as the size of his paycheck.

Wait though - Chipper Jones has already made tens of millions of dollars. He will not make any less money by renegotiating. Therefore, making less this year probably won't effect him all that much. It'd be about the equivalent of me deferring about 10 dollars of my next paycheck until next month.

veeter
11-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Actually, deferring money should be looked at as a good thing for some of these guys. It's like a giant savings account, so they can't blow everything they make. I wish the Fridge would have deferred some money. Maybe he wouldn't be laying bricks now. But he didn't make the cash these guys make.

Hendu
11-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Wait though - Chipper Jones has already made tens of millions of dollars. He will not make any less money by renegotiating. Therefore, making less this year probably won't effect him all that much. It'd be about the equivalent of me deferring about 10 dollars of my next paycheck until next month.

Right, but if that deferment can in any way help the Braves sign a major league closer, then it'll have a huge effect on his team.

There's really not much more that Chipper can do, considering the Union would scream bloody murder if he deferred too much of his salary, or agreed to have any amount cut from it. But at least, unlike some of the big money players, he's willing to do what he can.

Brian26
11-18-2005, 10:56 PM

Before I even opened this thread, I had the over/under at 10 posts before this topic came up. :D:

fquaye149
11-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Right, but if that deferment can in any way help the Braves sign a major league closer, then it'll have a huge effect on his team.

There's really not much more that Chipper can do, considering the Union would scream bloody murder if he deferred too much of his salary, or agreed to have any amount cut from it. But at least, unlike some of the big money players, he's willing to do what he can.

I agree - it's all he can do, and it sure is nice he's doing it. However, I would caution against making too much of it.

It's not like Favre taking actual paycuts so that the Packers can stay under cap (and for the record i'm not a packer fan...before all that bull**** starts up:smile:)

soxfanatlanta
11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
The guy was raked through the coals over his past...er..."transgressions"; in this town (Atl), he could save a kitten from a tree and still get bad press for it. No there is no skin off of his nose, as he has his coffers full, but if you look at financing, money today is worth more than money 10 years from now. The one thing this is telling me is that he wants one more shot at a ring before he is put out to pasture, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Is there?

buehrle4cy05
11-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I wish more players were like Chipper Jones and were willing to take less money in favor of having a good team.

bigfoot
11-19-2005, 08:25 PM
I wish more players were like Chipper Jones and were willing to take less money in favor of having a good team.

IIRC, the usual method in these circumstances is for the team to increase the $ amount, but spread it out over more years and give a sizable signing bonus. Don't know if this is true in this specific case, but......