PDA

View Full Version : Question?

RichH55
12-17-2001, 09:36 AM
Who was slower in their prime? Karkovice or Konerko? Those Killer K's....I honestly have no idea...the only thing I remember was that Karko was the oldest looking 25 year old EVER, older than Rod Beck looked at 29 when with the Flubs...

Soxboyrob
12-17-2001, 10:54 AM
Konerko is probably slower right now in his prime than Karkovice is right now in his retirement. In his prime, Karkovice was considered quite fast for a catcher. Konerko is just plain molasses.

harwar
12-17-2001, 11:22 AM
Yea,Kark would win the footrace.I remember he was having a great year at the plate,one year(a lot of doubles),then he tripped over the firstbase bag and separated his shoulder.When he came back from the DL he reverted back to his old form of ,great defense-no offense.

duke of dorwood
12-17-2001, 11:47 AM
Karko was quick down the first base line too. Question is, who is faster with a can of beer?

Huisj
12-18-2001, 10:20 PM
Karkovice . . . remember when he hit that inside the park homer at Minnesota?? I don't think Konerko could have done that . . . of course, it helped that whoever the heck it was out in left field that day for the Twins (Dan Gladden maybe?? can't remember) stumbled and then tried to flip the ball to the passing center fielder . . . oops! That was one of the funniest plays I can remember.

seventytwo
12-18-2001, 10:22 PM
Robin Ventura. Now, that man was slower than the second coming. Still one of my favorites, though.

Daver
12-18-2001, 10:23 PM
There are Tree slugs that are faster than Pauly.

:walnuts

C'mon guys I'm notthatslow.

MikeKreevich
12-18-2001, 11:28 PM
Sherm Lollar, now that was one speed impaired human being.
Konerko could have smoked him.

voodoochile
12-18-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Karkovice . . . remember when he hit that inside the park homer at Minnesota?? I don't think Konerko could have done that . . . of course, it helped that whoever the heck it was out in left field that day for the Twins (Dan Gladden maybe?? can't remember) stumbled and then tried to flip the ball to the passing center fielder . . . oops! That was one of the funniest plays I can remember.

Didn't Konerko hit the last inside the park homer for the Sox? It was here in Chicago if I'm not mistaken.

raul12
12-18-2001, 11:39 PM
what about john kruk? although he was pretty fast with the chew...

Daver
12-18-2001, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by raul12
what about john kruk? although he was pretty fast with the chew...

Kruk was quick to duck when facing Randy Johnson,but him and Walnuts would be a good footrace.

OfficerKarkovice
12-18-2001, 11:51 PM
KARK IS THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE!!!!!!!!! In all seriousness though he actually was pretty fast for a catcher in his time.

raul12
12-18-2001, 11:52 PM
here's a random question--who was the fattest man ever to play baseball? (I have no idea...just wondering if anyone has any ideas...)

OfficerKarkovice
12-18-2001, 11:53 PM
here's a random question--who was the fattest man ever to play baseball? (I have no idea...just wondering if anyone has any ideas...)

Prime Time was pretty damn fast.

raul12
12-18-2001, 11:58 PM
largest, not fastest...although i'd like to see a really big guy who's got prime time's speed (not that there is anything wrong with being big...)

Kilroy
12-19-2001, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Didn't Konerko hit the last inside the park homer for the Sox? It was here in Chicago if I'm not mistaken.

I think you are mistaken. I don't know for sure if that's the last inside the park homer the Sox have gotten, but PK did get one. My memory says it was in Tropicana field. He hit a gapper that woulda gone out had it been a foot higher. The LF and CF were converging on it and as it came down it clanged off a rail and went sideways instead of bouncing back towards the plate. As far as the ball went away from the fielders, there was still enuf of a play at the plate that Pauly needed to slide. PK = slow.

kermittheefrog
12-19-2001, 12:26 AM

That was against Tampa in the Sardine Can. The ball went over the wall, bounced off some weirdass pole that was technically in play and riccochetted way away from the centerfielder. So Konerko got an in the parker on ball that really should have been called a HR on the fly based on where he hit it. That's just the Sardine Can for you.

"Oh damn, it hit the catwalk, what do we do now?"

Dadawg_77
12-19-2001, 12:29 AM

The pitcher on the Dodgers in the 80's. Can't recall the name but was close to a South American country.

nut_stock
12-19-2001, 12:45 AM
are U referring to Mario Valenzuela (spelled wrong of course)?

Myself, I always thought Cecil Fielder was a giant tub of lard.

RichH55
12-19-2001, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
are U referring to Mario Valenzuela (spelled wrong of course)?

Myself, I always thought Cecil Fielder was a giant tub of lard.

Er...Fernando isn't just an ABBA song my friend...hint hint

Dadawg_77
12-19-2001, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Er...Fernando isn't just an ABBA song my friend...hint hint

Yeah, Fernando Valenzuela (I can't spell either)

Jerry_Manuel
12-19-2001, 07:14 AM

I think it might have been in Tampa Bay.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-19-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
That was against Tampa in the Sardine Can. The ball went over the wall, bounced off some weirdass pole that was technically in play and riccochetted way away from the centerfielder. So Konerko got an in the parker on ball that really should have been called a HR on the fly based on where he hit it. That's just the Sardine Can for you.

"Oh damn, it hit the catwalk, what do we do now?"

Yep. That same "sardine can" nearly became the home of Uncle Jerry's Florida White Sox. That was quite a dog and pony show he orchestrated for the benefit of the Illinois legislature. He got everything he wanted back in 1988 thanks to that monstrosity in St. Pete.

Hell, they even had homeplate located on the wrong end of the field. Genius!

Huisj
12-20-2001, 10:30 PM
Isn't Mario Valenzuela the name of the outfielder in the sox system that hit a bunch of home runs in the Arizona Fall League this fall? Peter Gammons was saying he had a wicked quick bat if I recall coreectly.