PDA

View Full Version : Another WS Patch Question...

Red Barchetta
11-17-2005, 08:59 PM
...Does anyone know where we can purchase on-line the World Series Champions Patch that is the same as the World Series 2005 patch but with the word "Champions" underneath? This is the one they supposedly have on the sleeve of the parade jacket.

Thanks!

The Deacon
11-17-2005, 09:34 PM
National Emblem is the company that makes MLB patches, they should have them available on their website.

rocky biddle
11-17-2005, 09:57 PM
The Baseball Hall of Fame store has this patch. They have some other cool stuff too. Here's the link (http://www.nbhof.org/products/578439.htm).

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-74646242217766_1870_1828691

EastCoastSoxFan
11-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I bought that patch from FogDog, and it had a hard plastic back to it that was impossible to sew through.

I don't know if that one is just a patch or a patch glued to a hard piece of plastic. It would be good to find that out before buying if you plan to have it sewn onto anything...

ChicagoHoosier
11-18-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm waiting to see what the OFFICIAL patch will be and then I'll get one and sew it to my jersey. Was the one in this thread the only one, or do you think the Sox will declare one as their official WS Winner patch?

Law11
11-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I bought that patch from FogDog, and it had a hard plastic back to it that was impossible to sew through.

I don't know if that one is just a patch or a patch glued to a hard piece of plastic. It would be good to find that out before buying if you plan to have it sewn onto anything...

I bought mine off of Ebay. How does this thing apply? It almost looks like some kind of adhesive plastic on the back. You'd need a jackhammer and thread to sew this on to a jacket or jersey...

steff
11-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I bought mine off of Ebay. How does this thing apply? It almost looks like some kind of adhesive plastic on the back. You'd need a jackhammer and thread to sew this on to a jacket or jersey...

Iron on.

Iwritecode
11-18-2005, 01:35 PM
When I bought my patch it had a little slip of paper with it saying that if it was applied to anything it would lose "value" and that it was illegal anyway.

IIRC, you can't even sew player names/#'s onto the back of a jersey...

Bobby Thigpen
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm waiting to see what the OFFICIAL patch will be and then I'll get one and sew it to my jersey.

Mlb.com is advertising this patch as the one that will be worn on the field by the Sox next season.

I bought mine off of Ebay. How does this thing apply? It almost looks like some kind of adhesive plastic on the back.

I hope that is not the case. I think I'm getting a black Buehrle jersey for Christmas that I was hoping to put this patch on.

anewman35
11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Mlb.com is advertising this patch as the one that will be worn on the field by the Sox next season.

I doubt the Sox even know what (if anything) they are going to wear on the field, so I don't see how MLB.com would.

Law11
11-18-2005, 02:44 PM
If this thing irons on is there something covering the adhesive/glue or do you just iron as is? And for how long??

skobabe8
11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
When I bought my patch it had a little slip of paper with it saying that if it was applied to anything it would lose "value" and that it was illegal anyway.

I bought a patch for a jersey and it had to be applied by a official retailer. The patch itself had some kind of hard backing that couldnt be peeled off, and if you tried to just sew it on it would break your needle. I had to bring it back to Grandstands, along with the jersey, and pay them to put it on for me. I just wish they would have told me that when I bought the thing from them in the first place. :angry:

Law11
11-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I bought a patch for a jersey and it had to be applied by a official retailer. The patch itself had some kind of hard backing that couldnt be peeled off, and if you tried to just sew it on it would break your needle. I had to bring it back to Grandstands, along with the jersey, and pay them to put it on for me. I just wish they would have told me that when I bought the thing from them in the first place. :angry:

So you would think then, that any decent tailor or sporting goods store that sells/makes team jersys could adhere the patch to a jacket in my case or a jersey. Lets hope, or I just wasted $20.

CredeGoldGlove
11-18-2005, 03:50 PM
is this the "collectable backing" that mlb.com speaks of?

Law11
11-18-2005, 03:53 PM
is this the "collectable backing" that mlb.com speaks of?

It has to be.. If this stuff peels off I cant get it.

DumpJerry
11-18-2005, 04:52 PM
When we clinched the AL, I went to MLB's online shop and ordered a genuine home Sox World Series jersey. They had two options for it:
1. Have a present player's name and number on it (there was drop-down menu which you clicked on to the name of choice).
2. You could customize it with a different name.

I ordered it with number 13, but did not want the name "Guillen" on the back, I wanted the name "Ozzie" on the back. That is how I ordered it.

They cancelled my order because licensing would not let them deviate from what the players actually wore. They would not send me a number 13 jersey without a name, either (licensing). For $70.00 less, they sent me a jersey without name or number. I'll be taking it to Grandstand this winter for the "13" "Ozzie" lettering.

Chez
11-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I purchased the World Series patch from patchcollectibles.com. The owner, a real nice guy named Richard Feltoon, sent me instructions on how to get rid of the backing. He said to make an X or + with an exacto knife across the back of the plastic backing, then press hard enough to penetrate the backing but not too hard to get into the patch. Then hold the patch and bend it to make sure the plastic breaks and then peel. Hope this helps.

Iwritecode
11-18-2005, 05:41 PM
When we clinched the AL, I went to MLB's online shop and ordered a genuine home Sox World Series jersey. They had two options for it:
1. Have a present player's name and number on it (there was drop-down menu which you clicked on to the name of choice).

I ordered it with number 13, but did not want the name "Guillen" on the back, I wanted the name "Ozzie" on the back. That is how I ordered it.

They cancelled my order because licensing would not let them deviate from what the players actually wore. They would not send me a number 13 jersey without a name, either (licensing). For $70.00 less, they sent me a jersey without name or number. I'll be taking it to Grandstand this winter for the "13" "Ozzie" lettering.

That's the kind of thing that I don't understand. When did names and numbers become copyrighted?

steff
11-18-2005, 05:58 PM
That's the kind of thing that I don't understand. When did names and numbers become copyrighted?

What I don't understand is that there are many other places you CAN get this done.. it makes no sense.

MiamiSpartan
11-18-2005, 10:21 PM

find a local sports store who does customization of jerseys and they'll do it for you for a small price....

DumpJerry
11-19-2005, 09:27 AM

What I don't understand is that there are many other places you CAN get this done.. it makes no sense.
*puts on lawyer hat*

I think it is not a copyright issue. MLB probably has a licensing agreement with the players or teams which states they will not diminish the value of each player's individual name. If MLB then proceeds to produce a product with an official White Sox logo, the number 14 on it with a name that is not "Konerko" on it, then the name is diminished because the team name and jersey number are no longer strongly associated with the name "Konerko" (resisting temptation to joke about FA status). MLB also won't do lettering of former players, so this tells me that this is probably what is going on here.

Once MLB turns the merchandise over to the buyer, it is no longer within the control of MLB. Since retail stores are not MLB licensees, they can customize the Buyer's purchase without any legal ramifications. The only way I can see MLB being able to prevent retail stores from doing this is to get Congress to pass a law prohibiting the practice (has to be a federal law instead of a state law because it would be too easy to ship your jersey to a state without the law to get the lettering). Don't worry, there is no way Congress would pass such a law since it would completely unenforceable as people would just go out and buy the requisite letters and numbers and turn on their irons or sewing machines at home and do it themselves. Congress cannot pass a law prohibiting someone from doing the lettering in the privacy of their home because such a law is beyond the scope of their power to legislate under the Constitution and could be protected by the Free Speech provisions of the First Amendment (even though this is probably commercial and not political speech).

Given how easy it is to circumvent the MLB license, it looks silly, but it actually makes sense because a large percentage of the products sold by MLB either cannot be altered (tee shirts) or a lot of the buyers of jerseys will not go through the trouble of changing their purchase.

Maybe there is an IP lawyer out there who has a better understanding/theory about this policy....

DumpJerry
11-19-2005, 02:52 PM

Follow up: I saved $10. Grandstand is charging me $60 for the lettering!

Iwritecode
11-19-2005, 07:38 PM
find a local sports store who does customization of jerseys and they'll do it for you for a small price....

My wife's best friend works at a local sporting goods store and she has the job of sewing high school numbers and letters onto jackets and such. She's the one that told me that I can't put a MLB player's name on a jersey.

BTW, I finallly opened up my patch and on the back is says "Attachment of this emblem to another product by sewing, adhesives, or any other means will immediately ruin it's collectable value, and is not permitted without approval of Major League Baseball Properties, Inc.

How can MLB tell me what to do with something I've purchased? :dunno:

Red Barchetta
11-19-2005, 09:02 PM
It has to be.. If this stuff peels off I cant get it.

I think all the "collectable" patches are attached to the hard display plastic. I bought the World Series 2005 patch and wanted to sew it onto my majestic fleese pullover from 2003. I went to spring training and it had the All-Star patch on the left sleeve so I had the World Series patch sewed onto the right sleeve.

Although my local tailor did a nice job, I noticed the patch is very hard and not flexibile, primarily due to the hard plastic underneath. What's interesting is that I have the exact same patch on the sleeve of the Majestic zip sweatshirt I bought that also has "White Sox" block stitching on the front. The patch on the sweatshirt is much softer and flexible, but the same patch. I guess the secret is removing the hard backing as described earlier.