PDA

View Full Version : Scoop Jackson on Rome Wearing (I think) Sox Gear

MarySwiss
11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Hard to be sure because the cap's on backward, but I think I saw a glimpse of the Sox logo. Also, the sweatshirt looks like it says something about "World Series Champions."

This is probably okay, but I hope to hell I don't see Brantley or Boomer wearing any Sox gear, or I may be sick.

Or take to drink. Oh, wait.... :gulp:

RallyBowl
11-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Did you know he is from the southside?

house215
11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Did he mention anything about the White Sox?

The Deacon
11-17-2005, 06:08 PM
He's from the SouthSide. He wrote a bunch of articles on ESPN.com about the SOX during the playoffs.

MarySwiss
11-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Did you know he is from the southside?

Yes, I know he is from the South Side. That's why I said I was okay with the Sox gear. But, as I'm sure you realize, there are folks from the South Side who are Cub fans. And I don't recall Scoop making a big deal about his Sox allegiance, at least, not until recently. That's why I give props to Rich King, John Kass, and Richard Roeper. We always knew where they stood.

MarySwiss
11-17-2005, 06:30 PM
He's from the SouthSide. He wrote a bunch of articles on ESPN.com about the SOX during the playoffs.

See my response to RallyBowl. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he works for ESPN, but I just wonder what took him so long to emerge as a Sox fan. In all fairness, I must admit he was not alone, but during the second half of the season, when the Sox were being excoriated on a regular basis by the national media, it would have been nice to have someone on our side speaking out. I don't remember seeing him do so, but if I'm wrong, then good for him.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Scoop Jackson tends to bring race into every subject that he writes about. I don't often read him for this reason. When I do I usually regret it.

Lip

TheOldRoman
11-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Scoop Jackson tends to bring race into every subject that he writes about. I don't often read him for this reason. When I do I usually regret it.

Lip
I agree, he is a moron. He is barely a journalist, as all his articles I have read are garbage.
Last night he was on Outside the Lines talking about the Pistons-Pacers fight last year, and he said "We was in the crib watchin' the game". I don't care where you "was", even if it was in a crib. However, if you are going to be a journalist you should speak properly in professional situations. Then again, it was ESPN. I don't know if they are really "professional" anymore. Their anchors might as well wear cutoff jeans and sleeveless shirts with gigantic foam novelty cowboy hats, it couldn't possibly lose any more legitimacy.

Erik The Red
11-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Lip
Took the words right from my mouth.

NardiWasHere
11-18-2005, 02:43 AM
His articles don't even make much sense. I wouldn't mind about the subject matter or his stance on issues, if I was able to figure out what he was trying to say.

ElevenUp
11-18-2005, 03:57 AM
Scoop Jackson on Rome

2 guys I could give a rat's arse about.

rmusacch
11-18-2005, 08:53 AM

Lip

There is a guy like that here in the Dallas Morning News, named Kevin Blackistone.

Shafe72
11-18-2005, 09:04 AM
There is a guy like that here in the Dallas Morning News, named Kevin Blackistone.

I wouldn't put Blackistone and Scoop in the same category, at least not based on Blackistone's appearances on "Around the Horn." I'm not sure what he's like in print, but on TV he seems okay.

asindc
11-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Yes, I know he is from the South Side. That's why I said I was okay with the Sox gear. But, as I'm sure you realize, there are folks from the South Side who are Cub fans. And I don't recall Scoop making a big deal about his Sox allegiance, at least, not until recently. That's why I give props to Rich King, John Kass, and Richard Roeper. We always knew where they stood.

Most journalists (with the notable exceptions of the Sports Guy and the PTI guys) don't make a "big deal" of their allegiences, especially when it comes to pro teams they root for. Yes, many an ESPN anchor has mentioned his alma mater here and there, but it is rare that a sports journalist will prominently wave the flag for his pro teams. With that said, Scoop began writing about the Sox in his column early this year, at least since May.

As for the ESPN types, I didn't know Dave Revsine grew up a die-hard Sox fan in the Northern suburbs until he was interviewed on Mike and Mike the morning after the Series clincher. My lack of knowledge of his allegience didn't make me immediately suspicious of him.

My guess from reading some of these posts is that Sox fans living in the Chicago area are dealing with a lot of Cubs fans trying to jump on the bangwagon. If so, well your reaction is understandable. But there are probably quite a few public figures who are Sox fans that none of us are aware about. Heck, none of you knew me to be a Sox fan until I registered for this board earlier this year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Scoop or any other individual as much as I want to point out that there are millions of Sox fans out there, and not all of them are known to us. Winning the World Series tends to bring them out of the woodworks, at least because the media will seek them out to talk to (see Revsine, Dave).

skottyj242
11-18-2005, 12:49 PM

Maybe Scoop didn't want to show his true colors. He may want to run for Senator in New York one day.

MISoxfan
11-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Do you mean to tell me that Michael Wilbon isn't a die-hard White Sox fan?

asindc
11-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Do you mean to tell me that Michael Wilbon isn't a die-hard White Sox fan?

As he himself has pointed out many, many times.:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
11-18-2005, 06:50 PM
As he himself has pointed out many, many times.:rolleyes:
How true is this? I really, really got annoyed at seeing that guy show up in Sox gear. Although I suspect he did it almost as much--if not more--to piss off Kornheiser. So we have to cut him some slack for that!

kevin57
11-18-2005, 10:12 PM
The most disgusting, hypocritical, and infuriating sight was none other than Jay Marriotti sporting a Sox jersey and cap on "Around The Horn" the Monday after the WS.

:puking:

MISoxfan
11-19-2005, 04:41 AM
I'm not sure if he did it only to piss off Kornheiser, but he definatelly seems to be a Cub fan first.

Stroker Ace
11-19-2005, 05:48 AM

LipSame here. Can't ******* stand Scoop.

Stroker Ace
11-19-2005, 05:48 AM
The most disgusting, hypocritical, and infuriating sight was none other than Jay Marriotti sporting a Sox jersey and cap on "Around The Horn" the Monday after the WS.

:puking:In all likelyhood, he lost a bet.

asindc
11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
How true is this? I really, really got annoyed at seeing that guy show up in Sox gear. Although I suspect he did it almost as much--if not more--to piss off Kornheiser. So we have to cut him some slack for that!

It's very true. I Tivo PTI, so I have followed closely Wilbon's comments on the Sox over the years. Even before this year, Wilbon has repeatedly stated that he is a Cubs fan first and foremost, but "roots for Chicago" whenever the Sox are not playing the Cubs.

As for Mariotti, who knows what that's about...:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
11-19-2005, 12:06 PM
It's very true. I Tivo PTI, so I have followed closely Wilbon's comments on the Sox over the years. Even before this year, Wilbon has repeatedly stated that he is a Cubs fan first and foremost, but "roots for Chicago" whenever the Sox are not playing the Cubs.

As for Mariotti, who knows what that's about...:rolleyes:

Whoops, sorry! When I said, "How true is this," I should have used teal. I was being sarcastic; I've heard him say this repeatedly as well.