PDA

View Full Version : Jays making a pitch for A.J. Burnett

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
5 years, $50 Mil (per ESPN sources)

linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2227230)

MUsoxfan
11-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I think anything over $7m/per is too much money for a guy with less than spectacular numbers

Unregistered
11-17-2005, 03:33 PM
I think anything over $7m/per is too much money for a guy with less than spectacular numbersApparently he's demanding a 5 year contract. What's that about a sucker born every minute?

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Apparently he's demanding a 5 year contract. What's that about a sucker born every minute?
I hope the Black Jays sign him. It will rattle the Skankees and Red Cubs into doing something ludicrous (see Damon's ludicrous contract demand). Plus a Halladay-Burnett 1-2 punch with Chacin also in the mix will help the Jays win more series over the season. I'm not a raving Jays fan by any means, but would love to see a shakeup in the AL East. Tampa and Baltimore, it ain't gonna happen there...

TheOldRoman
11-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Apparently he's demanding a 5 year contract. What's that about a sucker born every minute?
Well, I would offer him a 5 year contract if I were KW...

for $25 million. Burnett has loads of talent, and I think Coop is one of the few coaches who could make him realize his potential. However, GMs fawn over potential, and he will get a monster contract somewhere else. For $5mil a year and his upside, he would be worth the risk. For the $12-15 mil he will receive, I wouldn't go near him even if we had a gaping hole at the front of the rotation.

TheOldRoman
11-17-2005, 03:50 PM
I hope the Black Jays sign him. It will rattle the Skankees and Red Cubs into doing something ludicrous (see Damon's ludicrous contract demand). Plus a Halladay-Burnett 1-2 punch with Chacin also in the mix will help the Jays win more series over the season. I'm not a raving Jays fan by any means, but would love to see a shakeup in the AL East. Tampa and Baltimore, it ain't gonna happen there...
I don't mind the Jays anymore (I have forgiven them for 93), but I cant possibly root for them until they change their uniforms. The championship unis were so great, they should have never dumped them to begin with. They need to get back to those.
BTW, Baby Fisk, what has the reaction been of the natives to the uni/logo change? I can't imagine anyone liking it. It has to be the worst concieved idea for team identity ever. The logo is horrible, the unis are horrible, the color scheme has nothing to do with the city or the team's history. It looks like the logo/unis were designed by a braintrust in some LA office who had no knowledge of the team, its history, or the city of Toronto. I would be surprised if they even knew that the Jays played baseball.

Foulke You
11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I would offer him a 5 year contract if I were KW...

for $25 million. Burnett has loads of talent, and I think Coop is one of the few coaches who could make him realize his potential. However, GMs fawn over potential, and he will get a monster contract somewhere else. For $5mil a year and his upside, he would be worth the risk. For the $12-15 mil he will receive, I wouldn't go near him even if we had a gaping hole at the front of the rotation.
I agree 100% Old Roman. I also think that KW is smart enough to know that a five year multi-jillion dollar deal for a guy like Burnett is not a good idea. I think his interest in Burnett last year was primarily for a "Pennant Drive" rent a player. I'm not sure how much interest they'd have in Burnett at that price.

Honestly, the Blue Jays could probably fill multiple holes in their team with the kind've money they are set to throw at Burnett. Also, did we ever get a bargain on Freddy Garcia at $9 million per for 3 yrs. If A.J. Burnett gets 5 years, $50 million...imagine what Freddy would have been worth if he were a free agent this year...probably about 5 years $70 million on the open market.:o:

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't mind the Jays anymore (I have forgiven them for 93), but I cant possibly root for them until they change their uniforms. The championship unis were so great, they should have never dumped them to begin with. They need to get back to those.
BTW, Baby Fisk, what has the reaction been of the natives to the uni/logo change? I can't imagine anyone liking it. It has to be the worst concieved idea for team identity ever. The logo is horrible, the unis are horrible, the color scheme has nothing to do with the city or the team's history. It looks like the logo/unis were designed by a braintrust in some LA office who had no knowledge of the team, its history, or the city of Toronto. I would be surprised if they even knew that the Jays played baseball.
Everything you said is bang on. The reactions up here went like this:

Hipsters with disposable income: "Wow! Cool black hats! I gotta get me one!" :cool:

Everyone else in Canada: "*** have you done to the uniforms?! You idiots!" :angry:

Worst current uniforms, easily.

TheOldRoman
11-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Everything you said is bang on. The reactions up here went like this:

Hipsters with disposable income: "Wow! Cool black hats! I gotta get me one!" :cool:

Everyone else in Canada: "*** have you done to the uniforms?! You idiots!" :angry:

Worst current uniforms, easily.
Not just current uniforms, worst uniforms ever in the history of mankind.
These make the old Canucks V sweaters look like Yankees pinstripes. The Astros old rainbow unis were hideous, but the logo wasn't bad, and the unis had meaning to the fanbase and the franchise. The colors and the style were in homage to the "futuristic" Astrosdome and the name Astros itself.

The Jays unis from 97-03 were crap, but at least they were somewhat similar to the old unis. The designers just crapped their pants trying to "modernize" the old look. The current ones have nothing to do with Blue Jays history of the fanbase. As the only team in Canada, the Jays should do more to reach out to the entire country. Instead, they removed all red from their pallete and took the maple leaf off the logo. Instead, they go with black jerseys, black hats, GRAPHITE HATS, and grey letters on grey jerseys?!?! Dumb dumb dumb.

I know this isn't the only team to overlook the desires of the fanbase. San Diego Chargers fans dont like their current look. The consensus is: they absolutely love the powder blue. They liked the royal blue, and would even take those over the current unis, but they hate the current navy ones. Managment wont listen. That is surprising, considering I have heard that the powder blue throwbacks outsell the current unis in the San Diego area.

The Brewers fans have been very vocal for a while about wanting the royal blue and yellow colors back along with the ball-and-glove logo. The team is finally giving in, with a throwback home alternate for 06.

KRS1
11-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Not just current uniforms, worst uniforms ever in the history of mankind.
These make the old Canucks V sweaters look like Yankees pinstripes. The Astros old rainbow unis were hideous, but the logo wasn't bad, and the unis had meaning to the fanbase and the franchise. The colors and the style were in homage to the "futuristic" Astrosdome and the name Astros itself.

The Jays unis from 97-03 were crap, but at least they were somewhat similar to the old unis. The designers just crapped their pants trying to "modernize" the old look. The current ones have nothing to do with Blue Jays history of the fanbase. As the only team in Canada, the Jays should do more to reach out to the entire country. Instead, they removed all red from their pallete and took the maple leaf off the logo. Instead, they go with black jerseys, black hats, GRAPHITE HATS, and grey letters on grey jerseys?!?! Dumb dumb dumb.

I know this isn't the only team to overlook the desires of the fanbase. San Diego Chargers fans dont like their current look. The consensus is: they absolutely love the powder blue. They liked the royal blue, and would even take those over the current unis, but they hate the current navy ones. Managment wont listen. That is surprising, considering I have heard that the powder blue throwbacks outsell the current unis in the San Diego area.

The Brewers fans have been very vocal for a while about wanting the royal blue and yellow colors back along with the ball-and-glove logo. The team is finally giving in, with a throwback home alternate for 06.

Did u forget about the collered jerseys and shorts? Those leave us no room to rip on another teams unis., excluding the Boz blues from the northside.:tongue:

munchman33
11-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I know everyone thinks he's overrated, and there is a pretty good chance he'll fail to live up to that contract in some fashion.

But with his talent, you just never know. He's got the ability to be the top pitcher in the league. 5 years $50 million could end up being the steal of the decade if he can figure it out.

Look at Contreras. Until the second half of last year, he looked like a big money bust. But he eventually put it together, and he probably is one of the top three starters in the A.L. now. And for the money, he's definately a bargain now.

DSpivack
11-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Not only are those uniforms absolutely hideous, but they look downright unprofessional.

In a division with Boston and NY, I root for the Jays to win the division; 1993 was a long time ago.

Banix12
11-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I know everyone thinks he's overrated, and there is a pretty good chance he'll fail to live up to that contract in some fashion.

But with his talent, you just never know. He's got the ability to be the top pitcher in the league. 5 years $50 million could end up being the steal of the decade if he can figure it out.

Look at Contreras. Until the second half of last year, he looked like a big money bust. But he eventually put it together, and he probably is one of the top three starters in the A.L. now. And for the money, he's definately a bargain now.

I agree, and it's not like he is right now as bad as contreras was when the sox obtained him. For a period of time this past season Burnett was as dominant as any pitcher in the league.

Durability may be an issue but certainly he has the talent to be a front line major league starter.

TheOldRoman
11-18-2005, 01:59 AM

Well, the difference is, Contreras was a "big money bust" making $8 million a year, of which the Sox paid $6 million. Burnett will get at least $12 million a year.

munchman33
11-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Well, the difference is, Contreras was a "big money bust" making $8 million a year, of which the Sox paid $6 million. Burnett will get at least $12 million a year.

When he signed it, $8 million was pretty much top dollar for a starting pitcher.

Banix12
11-18-2005, 03:38 AM
When he signed it, $8 million was pretty much top dollar for a starting pitcher.

Top Dollar especially when you consider he had never pitched a single game of MLB ball.

Baby Fisk
11-18-2005, 08:35 AM

I was very disappointed when the Jays turned black and removed the maple leaf from their uniforms (which had been on every variation of the uniforms dating back to the team's first season). :angry:

Around mid-season, those brutal graphite hats seemed to vanish, and the Jays stuck with black hats all the time. What a train wreck.

Actually, the subject of uniforms is very touchy on the Jays board that I occasionally visit. Some folks despise them, some folks think they are cool, some folks (especially the Mods) are sick of repeated vitriolic threads on the subject. "Uniforms" is a bad word on the Jays boards, just like "Attendance" is here. :cool:

Have the Brewers made an official release about the throwback alternates? There's nothing on their official site.

TheOldRoman
11-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Top Dollar especially when you consider he had never pitched a single game of MLB ball.
Yes, but he was dominant at a high level before. I am not going to say Cuban league hitters are as good as MLB hitters, but Jose has at least dominated there. Also, the only time he faced a major league team, the Orioles, he dominated them. Burnett is just another bonus baby who hasn't proven he can dominate at any level.

TheOldRoman
11-18-2005, 11:33 AM
I was very disappointed when the Jays turned black and removed the maple leaf from their uniforms (which had been on every variation of the uniforms dating back to the team's first season). :angry:

Around mid-season, those brutal graphite hats seemed to vanish, and the Jays stuck with black hats all the time. What a train wreck.

Actually, the subject of uniforms is very touchy on the Jays board that I occasionally visit. Some folks despise them, some folks think they are cool, some folks (especially the Mods) are sick of repeated vitriolic threads on the subject. "Uniforms" is a bad word on the Jays boards, just like "Attendance" is here. :cool:

Have the Brewers made an official release about the throwback alternates? There's nothing on their official site.
The Brewers havent made an official release yet. However, it has been leaked to the press. On another site I frequent, a peron has access to the mlb style guide for next year (he runs a logo site) has said that not only will the Brewers bring back the throwback alternate. The Royals are changing also. The home and road jerseys will have sleeves. The home will say Royals in script, but the road will say Kansas City in script. Black is removed from the jerseys, except for the black road alt which will now say Kansas City instead of Royals. This is good because the KC fans hated the black in the unis. I thought it looked really sharp, especially the black jerseys, but not for the Royals. The KC front office has also said that they are looking into powder blue jerseys as either an alternate or a road jersey, and they may reappear as early as 07. They may be ugly, but at least they will be the Royals again. There is hope for the Blue Jays.