PDA

View Full Version : Jason Bay - Signed for 4 years, $18.25 mil

SouthSide_HitMen
11-17-2005, 03:05 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051117&content_id=1269482&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Bay agrees to four-year extension

11/17/2005 12:21 PM ET

By Ed Eagle / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Pirates have come to terms with All-Star outfielder Jason Bay on a long-term contract extension.

The four-year deal is believed to be worth $18.25 million in guaranteed money with the possibility of another $750,000 in bonuses.

"Obviously, this means the world to me," said Bay. "When you are five years old, you don't say [you want to play] in the big leagues because it is going to make you a lot of money. But at the same time, that's the reality.

"Never did I ever think that something like this was going to happen. That makes it equally special. It's almost like getting called up to the big leagues again, because I never expected any of this."

Bay, who had his contract renewed at $355,000 last season, would not have been arbitration eligible until next winter. The four-year deal gives Bay financial security while also providing the Pirates with cost certainty for Bay's three arbitration years.

I've seen the future of Major League Baseball and his name is Jason Bay!!!

In all serious he is one of the top outfielders in baseball and I hope he gives the Bucs four more excellent seasons.

MUsoxfan
11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Good. I'd like to see Pittsburgh start competing. Step #1 is lock up the best player on the team. Good job, Pitt

SOXintheBURGH
11-17-2005, 03:26 PM
That's absolutely brilliant. He could have made a lot more elsewhere, too.

It's Time
11-17-2005, 03:32 PM

:lynch&mcfail (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=15#)

"I think it's time we call Hendry and tell him to offer up Jose Macias and a player to be named later for Bay".

munchman33
11-17-2005, 04:01 PM

Not right now. He's not arbitration eligible yet. This makes sense for Bay because its security in case he gets hurt or starts to regress.

DSpivack
11-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Not right now. He's not arbitration eligible yet. This makes sense for Bay because its security in case he gets hurt or starts to regress.

$4 mil a year, though? If he just keeps on putting up the same numbers that's a steal. .306/.402./559 is pretty darn good.

Giles put up good numbers in Pittsburgh, but they got Oliver Perez and Bay in return. Trade is looking good now.

munchman33
11-18-2005, 02:50 AM
$4 mil a year, though? If he just keeps on putting up the same numbers that's a steal. .306/.402./559 is pretty darn good.

Giles put up good numbers in Pittsburgh, but they got Oliver Perez and Bay in return. Trade is looking good now.

But they could have paid him next to nothing this year. And he could get hurt. Or regress. And then the Pirates pay $16 million for nothing.

I'm not saying I wouldn't try to ink him to the same deal. I just saying that there's a reason Bay took the deal as well.

HotelWhiteSox
11-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Just keep him out of the HR derby!

dropkick371
11-18-2005, 04:47 AM
But they could have paid him next to nothing this year. And he could get hurt. Or regress. And then the Pirates pay $16 million for nothing.

I'm not saying I wouldn't try to ink him to the same deal. I just saying that there's a reason Bay took the deal as well.It definitely makes sense for him and there is, of course, that risk, but the general sentiment among the Bucs fanbase is that it'd be nice if McClatchy & Co. would start doing things that actually benefit the team.

And the Ollie/Bay for Giles deal only looks good if Perez can avoid laundry carts all of next year.

NonetheLoaiza
11-18-2005, 07:35 PM
With Bay, Day, and Perez, the Pirates are certainly on the right track, but I hope they can shore up their other problems as well.

SOXintheBURGH
11-18-2005, 07:38 PM
With Bay, Day, and Perez, the Pirates are certainly on the right track, but I hope they can shore up their other problems as well.

New manager as well. Would said other problems refer to the need of a new GM and ownership?

Corlose 15
11-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Good. I'd like to see Pittsburgh start competing. Step #1 is lock up the best player on the team. Good job, Pitt

Step 2: Sell the team to Mark Cuban.