PDA

View Full Version : Is Rowand Expendable?

Jurr
11-17-2005, 10:10 AM
According to this news article, the Yankees are exploring three way trade opportunities to bring Rowand to New York. I didn't know he was even on the block!

This does make sense, due to the fact that his power numbers were WAY down and Anderson's waiting in the wings. But previously, there had been NO indication that he was being shopped. I like the sell high buy low mentality in this, but it's still a shock (pending any type of validity to this)!

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4MTcyNDkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

Jurr
11-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Though this is "kind of" a rumor thread, it is a good question. Do the Sox NEED to go ahead and get Anderson up here and in the everyday lineup? Will he move to left and let Pods take over in center? What's the deal here?

Madvora
11-17-2005, 10:16 AM
If you think about it, he's probably the most likely to go. We have Anderson as a backup or if they were to trade for a much bigger bat in the outfield it would be Rowand to go.

I hope they keep him, but if they happened to land a guy like Ichiro Suzuki, then I'd definitely accept that.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 10:18 AM
If you think about it, he's probably the most likely to go. We have Anderson as a backup or if they were to trade for a much bigger bat in the outfield it would be Rowand to go.

I hope they keep him, but if they happened to land a guy like Ichiro Suzuki, then I'd definitely accept that.
Yeah, I'm digging the Rowand-Ichiro talk in another thread. If Rowand can be part of a deal that brings Ichiro to Chicago, get her done Kenny!

mikesouthside
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
I like Rowand. Yes he goes into funks...OK like month funks...but isn't his "attitude" key to the Sox 2005 success? If it means getting an all-star type guy in a 3-way trade I'm all for it.....but just to get a soso and move Anderson up...NO WAY.

HChappasJr
11-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I like Aaron, but he's completely expendable. What did he hit, .270 with 13 homers, something like that? Every team has a 4th outfielder capable of putting up numbers like that. If the Yankees fell in love with him because of the series he had in NY, than more power to them. Of course, it would be difficult to deal him and get something better without having to spend some more $$$. I'm not sure what Aaron makes but it can't be very much, so he is a pretty good bargain. So, what's my point? I forgot.

DaleJRFan
11-17-2005, 10:48 AM
I think it will be a mistake to trade Rowand. Look what happened with Podsednik. He had an amazing 2003, a lackluster 2004, and came back in 2005. Rowand was arguably one of the best centerfielders in all of baseball in 2004, both offensively and defensively. He had an off year in 2005 with the bat, but played great defense. Who's to say that the same scenario couldn't happen with Rowand that occured with Podsednik? I'm not willing to trade away Rowand unless the player the Sox replace him with has put up better #s than ARow's 2004 numbers and can play better CF defense.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
This question boils down to how confident are you in Brian Anderson. IMO, you have to consider him unproven, and unless you have a viable backup in case Anderson struggles, you have to keep Rowand.

bobowhite
11-17-2005, 11:05 AM
The one area that the Sox farm system is strong is the outfield. There are guys behind Anderson and even should Dye or Pods have significant injuries this coming year, the Sox will not be hurting for outfielders. Rowand makes $3.3 million /yr IIRC. While he has definately turned up a notch the play, he's definately not an All-Star. As for expendable, I really don't like that word. The Sox need to get value for him. If that is a few decent prospects to shore up IF or if Rowand goes in part of a deal to replace PK (should he depart) as long as the Sox get quality then I'm okay with a deal. Given that by three years from now the Sox are probably looking at an entirely new outfield I don't think a sell high attitude is a bad thing to have. I have a lot more faith in KW and OG now than before last season.

tstrike2000
11-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Is Rowand expendable? That word is too strong. Is he good trade bait? Yes, he is.

Jurr
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
The one area that the Sox farm system is strong is the outfield. There are guys behind Anderson and even should Dye or Pods have significant injuries this coming year, the Sox will not be hurting for outfielders. Rowand makes $3.3 million /yr IIRC. While he has definately turned up a notch the play, he's definately not an All-Star. As for expendable, I really don't like that word. The Sox need to get value for him. If that is a few decent prospects to shore up IF or if Rowand goes in part of a deal to replace PK (should he depart) as long as the Sox get quality then I'm okay with a deal. Given that by three years from now the Sox are probably looking at an entirely new outfield I don't think a sell high attitude is a bad thing to have. I have a lot more faith in KW and OG now than before last season.
One of the questions I have had about Rowand (and I HATE to say this) is steroid use. The guy was absolutely huge two years ago, and he subsequently hit nearly 30 bombs. This year, he was slimmed down a good bit, and he hit 13 or 15. This could just be a drop off, or a move to streamline himself for defensive improvement, but I've wondered all year if he had in fact used the juice at some point.

ilsox7
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
One of the questions I have had about Rowand (and I HATE to say this) is steroid use. The guy was absolutely huge two years ago, and he subsequently hit nearly 30 bombs. This year, he was slimmed down a good bit, and he hit 13 or 15. This could just be a drop off, or a move to streamline himself for defensive improvement, but I've wondered all year if he had in fact used the juice at some point.

I doubt it. Remember, the Sox were the team who wanted to refuse to take the steroid tests a couple of years back to trigger the mandatory tests the following year b/c a refusal to take a test was the same as a positive test. It seems to me that most of our guys have been clean...and as Aaron has been around for a while and is seemingly a leader in the clubhouse, I don't see the Sox throwing this idea around if he is on the juice. But who really know.

Madvora
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Is Rowand expendable? That word is too strong. Is he good trade bait? Yes, he is.
Good point. I think the only thing this team needs to do is this...
- Drop Marte
- Hernandez to the bullpen
- McCarthy as 5th starter

I love Rowand out there. Get Suzuki? Great, anything else... who cares. Keep em.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 11:20 AM
One of the questions I have had about Rowand (and I HATE to say this) is steroid use. The guy was absolutely huge two years ago, and he subsequently hit nearly 30 bombs. This year, he was slimmed down a good bit, and he hit 13 or 15. This could just be a drop off, or a move to streamline himself for defensive improvement, but I've wondered all year if he had in fact used the juice at some point.His power numbers last year are not that much below his career numbers. He clearly had an above-average 2004, but players have good years and bad years, and this doesn't look to be outside normal variation. It's not like he had a Brady Anderson breakout.

kittle42
11-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Rowand is, in my opinion, an average player overall for his position. Excellent defense, OK bat, OK speed, great guy. But it's certainly a position the Sox *could* upgrade at.

AZSoxFAN
11-17-2005, 11:25 AM

Ya Think!

MadetoOrta
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
LOL! Az, I thought the same thing. If Rowand brings us Ichiro, I'll soil myself from joy. Pods and Ichiro, 1 and 2? Iguchi could drive in 105 runs. Finally, EVERYONE IS EXPENDABLE ........ FOR THE RIGHT DEAL.

buehrle4cy05
11-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Rowand is expendable if the deal is right. I wouldn't like to see him go unless they get a good offensive force in the lineup (see Delgado, Ichiro, Helton, etc.)

Randar68
11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
The one area that the Sox farm system is strong is the outfield. There are guys behind Anderson and even should Dye or Pods have significant injuries this coming year, the Sox will not be hurting for outfielders. Rowand makes $3.3 million /yr IIRC. While he has definately turned up a notch the play, he's definately not an All-Star. As for expendable, I really don't like that word. The Sox need to get value for him. If that is a few decent prospects to shore up IF or if Rowand goes in part of a deal to replace PK (should he depart) as long as the Sox get quality then I'm okay with a deal. Given that by three years from now the Sox are probably looking at an entirely new outfield I don't think a sell high attitude is a bad thing to have.

Well said. Agree 100%

mdep524
11-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Off topic, but before reading that article I had no idea Mike Mussina make $19 million. :mg:

LauraJ14
11-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Here's the thing, if Frank and Carl don't come back, you can use Dye at DH and put Anderson in RF. I am not ready to hand centerfield over to Anderson and trade Rowand away unless there's a Torri Hunter or Ichiro coming back to us. I also don't want to see Joe Borchard on an everyday basis either.
To me Rowand is a grinder and one of the players that I most enjoyed watching play this year so if he's traded and Konerko doesn't resign, I won't be a happy Sox fan.

buehrle4cy05
11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Here's the thing, if Frank and Carl don't come back, you can use Dye at DH and put Anderson in RF. I am not ready to hand centerfield over to Anderson and trade Rowand away unless there's a Torri Hunter or Ichiro coming back to us. I also don't want to see Joe Borchard on an everyday basis either.
To me Rowand is a grinder and one of the players that I most enjoyed watching play this year so if he's traded and Konerko doesn't resign, I won't be a happy Sox fan.

IMO, I'd start Dye in right over Anderson. Dye has a cannon for an arm and Anderson hasn't had too many chances in right. I'd like to see Dye start maybe 60-70% of the games in right, with BA filling in the rest and DH'ing the rest of the time.

julio-cruz
11-17-2005, 01:02 PM
The problem is that they need more left-handed/switch-hitters in the Line-up. We are getting into the same quandry that we had a few years ago: no variety! The pitchers have the same approach to every hitter. We need to move Iguchi to the 3 hole and get a good # 2 hitter. That is why a big trade (Delgado,Abreu or Ichiro) or signing (Furcal) is needed.

IggyD
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't know about all that other stuff...but if he is gone...the 2 stooges does not sound as good :D:

Garland_IS_God
11-17-2005, 01:20 PM
The only way I trade Rowand is for Ichiro. It's that simple.

Garland_IS_God
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM

Thats a good option putting Dye at DH. Carl's and Frank's return are huge question marks. Rowand's the General in that outfield. He is so under appreciated. Like I said before, the only way you trade Rowand is for an Ichiro.

Madvora
11-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Case closed

DaleJRFan
11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Rowand's the General in that outfield. He is so under appreciated. Like I said before, the only way you trade Rowand is for an Ichiro.

He takes bad routes. Trade him.

bobowhite
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
The only outfielder I see the Sox going after anywhere near seriously is Pierre. Ozzie knows him and he'd fit in with the more speed and alternate lead-off man that the Sox have expressed desires for. Anybody else just gums up the works for the Anderson-Sweeney-Young era.

Randar68
11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
The only outfielder I see the Sox going after anywhere near seriously is Pierre. Ozzie knows him and he'd fit in with the more speed and alternate lead-off man that the Sox have expressed desires for. Anybody else just gums up the works for the Anderson-Sweeney-Young era.

Pods-Pierre in LF and CF might be the worst defensive LF-CF pair in the game.

Randar68
11-17-2005, 01:55 PM

LOL! ok. :rolleyes:

antitwins13
11-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I'm digging the Rowand-Ichiro talk in another thread. If Rowand can be part of a deal that brings Ichiro to Chicago, get her done Kenny!

Rowands is expendable. If we can bring in a guy like Ichiro to lead off with speedsters like Iguchi and Podsednik to back him up in Ozzie's smart ball offense we'd be unstopable, but even if we can't land him I still think he's expendable because Anderson is ready to start in the bigs.

kevin57
11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
The "To Trade or Not To Trade Rowand" thread has been appearing and reappearing since the end of the season.

Aaron is a fan favorite. He was and will be a very positive clubhouse influence (i.e., part of our famed chemistry). His defense is very good. These +++ should not be minimized.

That said, no doubt his offensive numbers were down. Will they rebound next year. I think so, but that's only a hunch and I don't think he'll be more than a .290 hitter. I also think Anderson can match these numbers and be more than decent in CF.

So, it boils down to what the Yanks might be willing to give for getting him. I wouldn't trade him unless we would clearly get someone of proven higher caliber.

The Deacon
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Did anyone watch Rowand run in the bases in the playoffs?? Ship him out of here. He may be a fan favorite but he also the most overrated player on the team. He K's too much and he can't bunt. In the field, he can get to the ball in the gaps and against the wall but he never gets the short balls in front of him.

If other teams will take him, we have 4 people that can take over internally if necessary. If Rowand can help bring us Thome, Helton or Delgado. He Gone!

Jjav829
11-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Rowand is probably the most expendable player on this team, at least the most expendable hitter. We have Anderson who can take over in center right now. We have Young and Owens in the minors.

If the Yankees can manage to help us put together a 3-team deal where maybe they trade players to get Thome, Delgado or Helton, eat some of that players contract and ship him to us, they can have Rowand. Obviously we would have to give up more, but it would be nice if we could get the Yankees to throw in some cash for the contract of one of those three.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Frank Thomas is probably the best Sox player in anyone's memory. And they just won a World Series without him. No one is irreplacable.

If the Sox signed Brian Giles, then hell yes, Rowand is expendable. But if instead they put Anderson in CF and Timo Perez becomes your 4th OF, that's obviously quite a different situation. It's not a question of being expendable. It's who you're repacing him with.

Randar68
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
If the Sox signed Brian Giles, then hell yes, Rowand is expendable. But if instead they put Anderson in CF and Timo Perez becomes your 4th OF, that's obviously quite a different situation. It's not a question of being expendable. It's who you're repacing him with.

How is that a different situation if they resign Konerko and acquire one of Thome/Delgado/Helton?

The point being, either Rowand or Anderson is not being asked to do anything more than hit 6th ro 7th at the very most. If they play equivalent defense, what's the big deal?

Break guys in gradually (meaning break guys in one by one if possible, instead of these youth movements that bring 2-3 new unproven players in at any given time). It's a lot different if you're not asking said player to be a primary cog in your offense.

nevr say dye sox
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
I think we should trade him! People keep writing that Jerry Owens will be ready after this year, and I would rather have him come up with a year under Anderson's belt, than to stick to guys in the outfield with no experience.

MsSoxVixen22
11-17-2005, 02:40 PM
OK, first off Rowand on 'roids? :rolleyes: I'd rather have Aaron any day of the week! Yes, Brian Anderson is good but I'd keep him as backup. If he does get traded and thats a BIG if, I'll be sorry to see him go. So what if he has his "slumps?" If I remember correctly, PK's first half of '05 wasn't exactly sparkling and 2cd half he was on fire. Rowand can get it going again and he's a great CF. Just MHO. I wouldn't trade him but I have faith in KW/Ozzie to do what they feel is best for the team.

Chisox003
11-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I think we should trade him! People keep writing that Jerry Owens will be ready after this year, and I would rather have him come up with a year under Anderson's belt, than to stick to guys in the outfield with no experience.
So you want to trade Rowand, and have Anderson as our starting CF?

But, you don't want to stick guys out there with no experience....?

I don't follow

Keep Rowand, unless we can get a stud in return. I think the real decision comes in whether or not to keep Anderson as the 4th OF or send him back down so he can actually get some PT.

getonbckthr
11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Well remember the accident he had and the injury. Most rehabs involve some form of a steroid. Now i'm not a doctor, or a weight lifting freak, but I would assume that the prescription roids would have the same effect during a workout that the street roids would have. Also if it was discovered, under the new steroid rules, that someone was using prescription steroids to rehab would they be subject to suspension?

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
How is that a different situation if they resign Konerko and acquire one of Thome/Delgado/Helton?

The point being, either Rowand or Anderson is not being asked to do anything more than hit 6th ro 7th at the very most. If they play equivalent defense, what's the big deal?

Break guys in gradually (meaning break guys in one by one if possible, instead of these youth movements that bring 2-3 new unproven players in at any given time). It's a lot different if you're not asking said player to be a primary cog in your offense.I'm not sure I quite understand your question. If they sign Giles and trade Rowand, then Anderson becomes the 4th OF. He'll get plenty of playing time rotating in with the others, and especially if Giles DH's some of the time. That's a lot different than having Anderson as the primary CF and having Timo Perez as the 4th OF. I'm don't see how signing PK and acquiring another 1B/DH makes a difference.

I agree with breaking young players in gradually. Optimally, they'd be a 4th OF playing 3-4 days a week. If they're your primary starter, at least you need a more competant backup than Timo Perez.

MisterB
11-17-2005, 03:07 PM
So you want to trade Rowand, and have Anderson as our starting CF?

But, you don't want to stick guys out there with no experience....?

I don't follow

Keep Rowand, unless we can get a stud in return. I think the real decision comes in whether or not to keep Anderson as the 4th OF or send him back down so he can actually get some PT.

I think he left out a 'w' in there:

I think we should trade him! People keep writing that Jerry Owens will be ready after this year, and I would rather have him come up with a year under Anderson's belt, than to stick two guys in the outfield with no experience.

Randar68
11-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand your question. If they sign Giles and trade Rowand, then Anderson becomes the 4th OF. He'll get plenty of playing time rotating in with the others, and especially if Giles DH's some of the time. That's a lot different than having Anderson as the primary CF and having Timo Perez as the 4th OF. I'm don't see how signing PK and acquiring another 1B/DH makes a difference.

I agree with breaking young players in gradually. Optimally, they'd be a 4th OF playing 3-4 days a week. If they're your primary starter, at least you need a more competant backup than Timo Perez.
That's not a very good plan for success for most young baseball players. They need to play every day or damn near it.

Where did I ever mention Giles in my post? I didn't. If you sign Giles, where does he play? I'd rotate Giles/Dye RF and Giles/Pods in LF and have Anderson in CF every day with Konerko at 1st. Anderson doesn't need to sit, he needs to play. Giles and Dye (and possibly Pods) would benefit most from days off in the field.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
That's not a very good plan for success for most young baseball players. They need to play every day or damn near it.

Where did I ever mention Giles in my post? I didn't. If you sign Giles, where does he play? I'd rotate Giles/Dye RF and Giles/Pods in LF and have Anderson in CF every day with Konerko at 1st. Anderson doesn't need to sit, he needs to play. Giles and Dye (and possibly Pods) would benefit most from days off in the field.I agree that it's not good to bring up young players and sit them on the bench. Rowand was a good example of that his first full year when he sat behind Kenny Lofton. He hit in the low .200's IIRC, then took off after Lofton was traded and he started playing regularly. But I don't think they need to play every day. I think 3-4 days a week is enough, as long as they're still getting coached on those other days.

I mentioned Giles originally and you quoted that post. I like Giles as a better alternative to Delgado for all the reasons we've discussed before. He'd DH a significant number of games, so Anderson would still get plenty of playing time even if Giles played CF most of the time.

kevingrt
11-17-2005, 03:33 PM
The Yankees must have been very, very impressed when he was amazing in New York late in the year. That's a huge complent to Rowand to be involved in trade rumors with the Yanks.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Yes, Rowand is expendable. After playing full time in 2004, the league figured him out in 2005. Don't expect him to return to those levels again. (It's not a steroid issue). He is average on the basepaths, with a number of significant blunders in the playoffs, and if all we need is a defensive centerfielder, then there are others out there.

Unfortunately, we need more from a centerfielder than defense if we get no power from left field.

So let's trade Rowand to free up cash to get a left-handed outfielder or a number two hitter.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
The Yankees must have been very, very impressed when he was amazing in New York late in the year. That's a huge complent to Rowand to be involved in trade rumors with the Yanks.

I'll give them Rowand for Robinson Cano. If they don't take that I'll throw in Marte. And we make Cano a DH. Cano is going to be good.

fquaye149
11-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I'll give them Rowand for Robinson Cano. If they don't take that I'll throw in Marte. And we make Cano a DH. Cano is going to be good.

Where on earth would Cano play? Are we going to trade for him to DH him? Keep in mind he plays a below average second base and has not proven he can play anywhere else.

Frater Perdurabo
11-17-2005, 04:42 PM
As much of a hard worker as Rowand is, and as much as he seemed to be a part of the Sox "Three Stooges" along with Crede and A.J., I think Rowand could have value in building a package to get the Sox some left-handed hitting. I believe Anderson can produce close to what Rowand did in 2005, perhaps with better defense but a slightly lower average. Perhaps Crede and A.J. would adopt Anderson as the new "Stooge," as well. If the Yankees want him bad enough, maybe KW can parlay that into a left-handed bat and/or free up salary to get two among Giles/Furcal/Delgado/Helton. Or, more directly, Rowand for A-Rod, straight up.... :redneck

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
As much of a hard worker as Rowand is, and as much as he seemed to be a part of the Sox "Three Stooges" along with Crede and A.J., I think Rowand could have value in building a package to get the Sox some left-handed hitting. I believe Anderson can produce close to what Rowand did in 2005, perhaps with better defense but a slightly lower average. Perhaps Crede and A.J. would adopt Anderson as the new "Stooge," as well. If the Yankees want him bad enough, maybe KW can parlay that into a left-handed bat and/or free up salary to get two among Giles/Furcal/Delgado/Helton. Or, more directly, Rowand for A-Rod, straight up.... :redneckGiven that the Yankees really seem to want Rowand and their historical willingness to badly overpay, KW would be dumb not to explore the possibilities of a 3-way deal. Trouble is, the Yankees have very few players that anyone else wants, so the possibilities are limited. Wang and Cano are the only two really desirable players they have to trade.

I can see it now...Yankees send player A + cash to the Marlins for Carlos Delgado, then trade Carlos Delgado + cash to the Sox for Aaron Rowand. And that's not in teal.:redneck

nodiggity59
11-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Given that the Yankees really seem to want Rowand and their historical willingness to badly overpay, KW would be dumb not to explore the possibilities of a 3-way deal. Trouble is, the Yankees have very few players that anyone else wants, so the possibilities are limited. Wang and Cano are the only two really desirable players they have to trade.

I can see it now...Yankees send player A + cash to the Marlins for Carlos Delgado, then trade Carlos Delgado + cash to the Sox for Aaron Rowand. And that's not in teal.:redneck

Philly and Florida, and maybe Colorado, would be interested in Pavano. For the right price, of course. It just depends if the Yanks want to dump as much of his deal as they can.

Randar68
11-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Given that the Yankees really seem to want Rowand and their historical willingness to badly overpay, KW would be dumb not to explore the possibilities of a 3-way deal. Trouble is, the Yankees have very few players that anyone else wants, so the possibilities are limited. Wang and Cano are the only two really desirable players they have to trade.

The Yanks are rumored to be in the market for a 1B so Giambi can DH 100% of the time. Delgado would be a beast in Yankee Stadium. Not sure why they'd turn around and trade him to us. Hell, who knows, they may just trade for Delgado AND Pierre and kill 2 birds with one stone, LOL!

Paulwny
11-17-2005, 06:29 PM
The Yanks are rumored to be in the market for a 1B so Giambi can DH 100% of the time. Delgado would be a beast in Yankee Stadium. Not sure why they'd turn around and trade him to us. Hell, who knows, they may just trade for Delgado AND Pierre and kill 2 birds with one stone, LOL!

Interesting, I hadn't heard about them looking for a 1B. I guess Torre can't live with his defense. Giambi has the Frank oddity, much better offensive numbers when playing 1B.
Is there a team the yanks haven't had a discussion with concerning a cf? I read that they talked to the Tigers about the availabilty of Craig Monroe.

Canadian_SoxFan
11-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Good point. I think the only thing this team needs to do is this...
- Drop Marte
- Hernandez to the bullpen
- McCarthy as 5th starter

I love Rowand out there. Get Suzuki? Great, anything else... who cares. Keep em. Marte isn't all that bad, give him a break. There is a very good chance he will be on the opening day roster next year.

CluelessJoe1919
11-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Apparently, because of a couple of nice catches in a series in New York, the Yankees have apparently over-valued Aaron Rowand, meaning the Sox could take advantage and retrieve more in a trade than Rowand's value...
If dealing Rowand could bring either Pierre, Delgado or Ichiro in a deal, I'm all for it...
It also shows how stupid an organization the Yankees have become.

Theanticub
11-18-2005, 04:58 AM
According to this news article, the Yankees are exploring three way trade opportunities to bring Rowand to New York. I didn't know he was even on the block!

This does make sense, due to the fact that his power numbers were WAY down and Anderson's waiting in the wings. But previously, there had been NO indication that he was being shopped. I like the sell high buy low mentality in this, but it's still a shock (pending any type of validity to this)!

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4MTcyNDkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

In one word...no. He is far from expendable. He is the best fielding outfielder we have..and it would be sad to see him go no matter who we got.