PDA

View Full Version : City Flag Patch on uniforms?

lths06
11-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I remember last year someone e-mailed Brooks and he said that he was considering putting the city flag patch on the uniforms, but the uniforms had already been ordered and it was too late. Has anybody heard anything reguarding the city flag patch being put on the uniforms for this coming year?

ewokpelts
11-16-2005, 05:57 PM
I emailed him about it.

I suggest we all start emailing him again.
Gene

Hendu
11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I would love to see the Chicago Flag on Sox unis. Not only is it a symbol of civic pride, but it looks cool too.

link (http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/chiflag.html)

I want Mags back
11-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Just what i want a flag in cubs colors on our awesome unis. It wopuld be neat if they made it with flag stripes and silver stars or something

SaltyPretzel
11-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Maybe they'll add a 5th star in honor of the 2005 White Sox. :smile:

Hendu
11-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Just what i want a flag in cubs colors on our awesome unis. It wopuld be neat if they made it with flag stripes and silver stars or something

Well then I guess we can never have the American flag on Sox unis either.

VivaOzzie
11-16-2005, 07:27 PM

It's the Sox' city now. Plus, I would think Daly would be all for it.

It's Time
11-16-2005, 07:34 PM
It's the Sox' city now.

Don't kid yourself. As soon as the North Side team signs a free agent, it will be back to normal.:rolleyes:

kevin57
11-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm for the city flag on the uniform. Let's do it!

Sox35th
11-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I would love to see the Chicago flag on the uniforms!!

Also......dose anyone out there know where I could find a Chicago flag? (is there a store that sells them in the city) I am looking for 3X5 or something around that size. I would like to add it to my Sox flag for taligating in 2006.

Thanks

VivaOzzie
11-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Don't kid yourself. As soon as the North Side team signs a free agent, it will be back to normal.:rolleyes:

Well, we definitely deserve the flag more than they do.

It's Time
11-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Well, we definitely deserve the flag more than they do.

I'm not going to disagree with you. I'm just saying don't expect anything other then a Cubs lovefest if they have a good offseason. It's not like the White Sox won the series or anything like that.

Brian26
11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the flag on the back of the helmets like they did in the early 90's, but it really doesn't belong on the uniform sleeves.

TheDarkGundam
11-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Where would they put it? The grey and black unis have (or will have next year) a patch on both sleeves. The world series one, and the "sox diamond"

JimmyJoe
11-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I completely agree! Let's get this done.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2005, 10:58 PM
If I had a vote (which I don't) it would be no. I don't see any reason to clutter up a great looking uniform.

Milw
11-16-2005, 11:39 PM
There's currently no patches on the pinstripe jerseys. Assuming the Sox add a patch of some sort commemorating the World Championship, they can still add the Chicago flag to the other sleeve. I don't mind if it's left off the black and gray jerseys.

The Sox should take their newfound popularity and position themselves as Chicago's Team. Let the Cubs have the tourist and trendy markets ... the Sox are the team of true Chicagoans, and nothing would drive that point home more than adding the city flag to the jerseys.

monkeypants
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Another spot where they could add the Chicago city flag is the spot where they put the American flag after Sept. 11. On the back, above the player's name.

paciorek1983
11-16-2005, 11:46 PM

The Sox should take their newfound popularity and position themselves as Chicago's Team. Let the Cubs have the tourist and trendy markets ... the Sox are the team of true Chicagoans, and nothing would drive that point home more than adding the city flag to the jerseys.

agreed!!:D:

chisox77
11-16-2005, 11:49 PM
As much as I love the Chicago City Flag, I feel that the awesome uniforms of the White Sox be left alone, leaving room for the occasional commerative patch on one sleeve and the diamond sock on the other (for the road grays).

However, variations to the main uniform for special throwback or theme games can be indulged, for instance:

*The Half-Way to St. Patrick's green pinstripes - pretty good uniform
*Perhaps a game where the Sox where the red pinstripes (from early 70s) - pretty good uniform
*How about a Silver/Gray home uniform with black pinstripes, and the same large Sox logo on the front (and the silver/beaked cap to go with them)?
*All Black uniforms with white belt, white socks, white pintripes, with either large modern Sox logo, or 1919 logo on the front, and the regular cap to go with them?

I'm getting carried away. Maybe this is another sign of White Sox Withdrawl that I'm going through, just thinking about the possibilities of adding some alternative unis to our awesome looking uniforms.

doublem23
11-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Also......dose anyone out there know where I could find a Chicago flag? (is there a store that sells them in the city) I am looking for 3X5 or something around that size. I would like to add it to my Sox flag for taligating in 2006.

Thanks

www.ebay.com

scottyl
11-17-2005, 12:18 AM
Our uniforms look great now. Why do we need a flag patch?

Sox&Springsteen
11-17-2005, 06:49 AM
I wear one of these on my Sox warmup jacket. No one here knows what it means, but whenever I'm asked "What part of the States are you from?" and I happen to be wearing my jacket, I say "I'm from Chicago," then I point to my right shoulder and say, "This is the flag of the city of Chicago." Neat. :smile:

NorthSideSox72
11-17-2005, 08:43 AM

This nails it on the head, I think, as far as the best reason to do it. Chicago pride aside, it's a fabulous marketing idea.

If you want somewhere to put it, if both sleeves are taken, here are some ideas:

--high chest, left or right, similar position to the Captain "C" you see on uniforms in some sports
--Back of the helmet, as mentioned before, from the 90's
--Replace the Sox "Diamond" with a logo something like this: The caligraph Sox with the big S, imposed over a city flag. very symbolic, no? :cool:

As far as making the flag black and silver or similar, I doubt the city would be very happy with their flag being altered.

Jenks4Pres
11-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Awesome idea!! I'm all for it!

Start the emails!!!

DaleJRFan
11-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Is there a flag for the south side?

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
No flag.........it wouldn't look good at all. Leave that for the northsiders. Stick with tradition.

Procol Harum
11-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Thumbs down on the flag--it would distract from the rest of the uni.

Foulke You
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
I like the Chicago flag too but I have to wonder, outside the Chicago city limits, how many people are going to know what that flag is?:?:

oeo
11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
No flag.........it wouldn't look good at all. Leave that for the northsiders. Stick with tradition.

Yeah, like it's going to be a huge flag on the front of the uniform. Give me a break, it's a small flag on the sleeve, what makes it not look good? Why can't we start a new tradition?

I like the Chicago flag too but I have to wonder, outside the Chicago city limits, how many people are going to know what that flag is?:?:

So what? The A's have an elephant on a ball, and I still don't know what the hell that is. You care that no one would know what it is? I don't even think it would get noticed.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-17-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm all for it. Keep it on the home white's only. I'm not in favor in removing the sox patch off of the gray away's.

I want Mags back
11-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Another spot where they could add the Chicago city flag is the spot where they put the American flag after Sept. 11. On the back, above the player's name.

I'm pretty sure that spot is reserved throughout for the MLB logo

you can see it above Dye's name here
http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2360726nm.jpg (http://mvp.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2144978&cp=715323.1452347)

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the flag on the back of the helmets like they did in the early 90's, but it really doesn't belong on the uniform sleeves.

I emailed Brooks about this, and he said MLB wont let them put the City Flag
there anymore. Cant see why, but If I were Brooks, Id be persistant about this. It looked great when it was on our helmets

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I wear one of these on my Sox warmup jacket. No one here knows what it means, but whenever I'm asked "What part of the States are you from?" and I happen to be wearing my jacket, I say "I'm from Chicago," then I point to my right shoulder and say, "This is the flag of the city of Chicago." Neat. :smile:

The 4 red stars all represent a significant event in the history of Chicago.
the 2 blue stripes represent the North and South branches of the Chicago River.
One star is for the Columbian Exposition. Another star for the Chicago Fire.
Bet someone here knows what the other 2 stars are for .......

Fenway
12-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Bet someone here knows what the other 2 stars are for .......

The four red stars represent major events in Chicago history:

The first star represents Fort Dearborn. Added in 1939.
The second represents the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
The third, the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893.
The fourth, the Century of Progress of 1933. Added in 1933.

The three white stripes represent each geographic region of Chicago:

The top represents the North side.
The center symbolizes the West side.
The bottom represents the South side.
http://www.inficad.com/~ksup/chicago.html

SaltyPretzel
12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
They should add a fifth star for another great moment in Chicago history that happened very recently. :wink:

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 04:56 PM
They should add a fifth star for another great moment in Chicago history that happened very recently. :wink:

Thats a great idea Kurt. We also should make the "south side" border
of the flag a bit bigger too ........

ChiSoxLifer
12-02-2005, 05:04 PM

The signing of Bob Howry?

Chisox003
12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
The signing of Bob Howry?
Actually, I was thinking Scott Eyre :?:

SaltyPretzel
12-03-2005, 01:16 AM
:tealpolice: