PDA

View Full Version : Cubs desperate???

deck27
11-16-2005, 04:39 PM
"The Cubs "are pretty serious" about their interest, Tanzer said.

"[General manager] Jim Hendry gets it," Tanzer said. "I get the sense this has to be their year."

This in regard to their interest in Scott Eyre.

SOXPHILE
11-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Agents always say things like this to whichever hometown paper they are talking to. They're not going to tell the Cubs, or whomever, "Oh, my client does NOT want to come here to play". They're always going to say to whichever columnist from whichever town that their guy wants to go to said team, and that that team looks like "it wants to win" etc.

DumpJerry
11-16-2005, 04:56 PM
:santo :nandrolone

We can state with full confidence that the Chicago National League Baseball Organization has never done anything out of desperation.

buehrle4cy05
11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
What really pissed me off about that was that it was in an article about Scott Eyre being interested in the SOX. So kiss Jim Hendry's ass somewhere else.

TomBradley72
11-16-2005, 06:21 PM
"[General manager] Jim Hendry gets it," Tanzer said. "I get the sense this has to be their year."

Why? Because it's their "turn"? Give me a break....as long as Dusty Baker is the manager and they are relying on the best starting rotation ever....."their year" will always be "next year".

MadetoOrta
11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I hope all the jagbags in this town take the "You'd better win it this year" posture with the cubs. It'll make their failure even more enjoyable and our success that much sweeter. Seriously, unless they buy Burnett, Eyre, bring in Pierre, a closer, Brian Giles and a partridge in a pear tree AND Carrie Wood and Pryor stay healthy for the entire year, there's no chance in hell they'll beat out both the Cardinals and the Astros.

jackbrohamer
11-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Tanzer's that moron who represented Jason Bere when he demanded a trade from the Sox in 1998:

"Bere was demoted to the bullpen June 24 after struggling in his 15 starts with the club. Although he was 3-7 with a 6.34 earned-run average, Bere protested manager Jerry Manuel's decision to make him a reliever. Tanzer not only requested a trade, he lashed out at Manuel. He called him a "clown" and half-jokingly threatened to show up at his office to start a fight....As it turns out, it was all part of Tanzer's plan to get his client traded or released...."Either way, his ($700,000) salary goes with him," Tanzer said. "If he doesn't get claimed, the Sox have to write a check for the balance."

Manuel was a clown, but Tanzer's a bigger one. I can't believe newspapers report what he says as though it means anything

Tekijawa
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
I thought it was funny that the Article says 4 teams are interested, names the 4 teams, and at the end says the Cubs are interested too... So are they not a team, or are they not interested?

1951Campbell
11-17-2005, 09:18 AM
If Scott Eyre is going to make or break your team, yes, that is desperation.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Why would the Cubs be desperate? So long as the bewildered herds keep coming to the northside ballpark, they will be business as usual. So long as there are buyers, the Cubs have a perpetual supply of false hope to peddle.

1951Campbell
11-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Why would the Cubs be desperate? So long as the bewildered herds keep coming to the northside ballpark, they will be business as usual. So long as there are buyers, the Cubs have a perpetual supply of false hope to peddle.

Not that I live in Chicago, but I go the impression that the Cubs' fandom was starting to adopt the "you'd better win this year" posture that MadetoOrta alluded to. I got more than just a whiff of that on NSBB a few weeks ago.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Not that I live in Chicago, but I go the impression that the Cubs' fandom was starting to adopt the "you'd better win this year" posture that MadetoOrta alluded to. I got more than just a whiff of that on NSBB a few weeks ago.
But if Cub fandom continues to hypocritically pack the stadium day after day, what kind of message are they really sending? "We are pissed off at you, but we cannot stay away!" It's like an abusive relationship. Makes you almost feel sorry for the hardcore Cub fans surrounded by the hordes who are there to socialize.

peeonwrigley
11-17-2005, 09:32 AM

Well, there's a segment of Cub fans (real, good fans, believie it or not) that pay attention to the offseason. They're the ones who took the Sox victory the hardest, and have the "gotta win now" mantra. But, there are not that many of them.

The rest are oblivious until the beer starts flowing and the Woo Woo starts wooing.

DaleJRFan
11-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Scott Eyre + Long Term, Big $$$ Contract = Mike Remlinger Part 2

He's 33 years old and 05 was his first season with an ERA below 4.

I'll take my chances with Marte.

MisterB
11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I thought it was funny that the Article says 4 teams are interested, names the 4 teams, and at the end says the Cubs are interested too... So are they not a team, or are they not interested?

I'd have to go with the first choice. :D:

MadetoOrta
11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
But if Cub fandom continues to hypocritically pack the stadium day after day, what kind of message are they really sending? "We are pissed off at you, but we cannot stay away!" It's like an abusive relationship. Makes you almost feel sorry for the hardcore Cub fans surrounded by the hordes who are there to socialize.

I wrote awhile back about it was OK to cheer for the "lovable losers" when the alternative [the Sox] weren't exactly stacking up championship trophies. The table has been turned on its head after the Sox won the World Series. Will it mean 18,000 on a Friday afternoon at the Urinal? Heck no. It's a hangout. It will affect the number of bandwagon-jumping yuppies who find the 30 minute "L" ride to the Cell to be not as inconvenient as once advertised. The majority of their fans are bandwagon-jumping transplants from other cities who either went to college in Chicago or now work in Chicago. Their loyalty to the cubs is paper thin. They're obnoxious and, should the cubs continue to blow [a real possibility], they'll be showing up at the Cell en masse. People like winners! Get ready for 'em.

TDog
11-17-2005, 10:35 AM

The White Six have raised the bar for baseball success in Chicago. Winning the division would be exciting, but now Chicago baseball has been beyond the threshold of getting within five outs of getting to the World Series. The Cubs are certainly more profitable than the Six, considering the North Side team can "resell" its own tickets for many times the face value, but the profitability may have peaked if people see how much fun winning baseball can be.

The Six need to have a strong season in 2006. Last year people were told the success was this-happens-for-a-couple-of-months-every-five-years illusion. Many didn't come to enjoy the season until there was little left to enjoy.

The offseason can create the illusion of fun if management overpays underachieving talent, but despite the low ratings we keep hearing about, more people in Chicago watched the World Series than watched the last Super Bowl.

SoxSpeed22
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
There is a TON more pressure on the Cubs to win then there ever was before. Both of their main division rivals, the Cardinals and Astros, have reached the World Series and the other "cursed" teams have won the Series. They need to start with their pitching staff. The pressure will come nationally, especially since they're getting closer to the century mark for the last time they won the Series. Anybody care to imagine the mood in St. Louis if that happens?
Also TDog, this site (http://www.spellcheck.net/) is good for spell check. Because I didn't know you root for the White Six.

GoSox2K3
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd like to throw the whole "attendance issue" back in Cubs fans faces:

I hear all this talk about Cub fans "no longer putting up with losing" and taking a "we better start winning attitude. As far as I'm concerned that is all total B.S. as long as the lemmings keep showing up to Wrigley regardless of the team's success. Why would the Tribune Co. feel pressured to do anything different if they know that their customers are more fans of their ballpark than of the team on the field?

I'm not sure that reaching the century mark w/out a world series win is going to feel like such an embarassment to them. Remember, they have embraced their losing image since 1969. It's part of their "mytique" that has help them build a huge fan base. I love how Cub fans are now saying "losing isn't lovable anymore". Ha! They're the fools who went along with the idea that it ever was lovable.