PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro rips teammates in Japanese media

Baby Fisk
11-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Uh-oh...

Suzuki ripped the Mariners in Japanese newspaper last week, saying some of his teammates gave up on last season too early and questioned their commitment to game preparation, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports. linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-chirouzukinhappywith&prov=rotowire&type=lgns)

Ol' No. 2
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Uh-oh...

linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-chirouzukinhappywith&prov=rotowire&type=lgns)I think we all know where this is headed.

samram
11-16-2005, 04:50 PM
No way- Adrian Beltre is Mr. 110%! Well, you just wonder if this Ichiro's way of letting the M's know that he would rather continue his career elsewhere.

DumpJerry
11-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Ichiro criticized teammates for playing cards before games instead of preparing, and was dismayed a veteran player didn't call anybody out for it. He also said he is tired of having to set personal goals to motivate himself rather than being motivated by playoff contention. Ichiro (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6615/) still likes Seattle, but it's clear the losing is weighing on him.
Where have we heard this before?

buehrle4cy05
11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, now trading for him will be easy.

RKMeibalane
11-16-2005, 08:57 PM
There's virtually no chance of this happening, but I think KW should try to go after him. If he can work out a trade for Ichiro, the Sox can put him in RF and move Dye to DH if Frank's health remains a question mark. Again, I don't think it's going to happen, but Williams should at least make an inquiry.

Brian26
11-16-2005, 09:31 PM
If he can work out a trade for Ichiro, the Sox can put him in RF and move Dye to DH if Frank's health remains a question mark.

Can you imagine penciling him into the #2 slot after Pods every night? Wow.

MarySwiss
11-16-2005, 09:37 PM

"Wow" doesn't even come close! That's a pitcher's worst nightmare, that is!

DumpJerry
11-16-2005, 10:16 PM
"Wow" doesn't even come close! That's a pitcher's worst nightmare, that is!
Depends on who we would have to surrender for him. Having said that. Pods and Ichiro 1 and 2 with Gooch at number 9 and Konerko/Thomas/Dye/Thome in the three hole and four hole combined with our pitching staff equals 110-120 wins! That would be REGULAR SEASON wins.:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2005, 10:16 PM

TWO guys who will drive the opposing pitching crazy, plus a guy in right with a CANNON of an arm! Me likey!

DumpJerry
11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
TWO guys who will drive the opposing pitching crazy, plus a guy in right with a CANNON of an arm! Me likey!
How do you spell d-y-n-a-s-t-y?:D:

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2005, 10:27 PM
How do you spell d-y-n-a-s-t-y?:D:

Haha, I can so hear it now at Comiskey next year...

"D-Y-N-A-S-T-I-E...that's the way we spell Dynasty! Dynasty! Let's have a dynasty! WOO!"

:D:

MadetoOrta
11-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Pods and Ichiro at 1 and 2? Iguchi in the 3 spot drives in 105 runs.

DumpJerry
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Haha, I can so hear it now at Comiskey next year...

"D-Y-N-A-S-T-I-E...that's the way we spell Dynasty! Dynasty! Let's have a dynasty! WOO!"

:D:
Sigh....see the problem with bandwagoneers?

SouthSide_HitMen
11-17-2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.webvillage.org/Jp/MEMBER/ichirou/images/photos/hitting/813-ichiro.jpg + http://www.highwayimage.com/images/mlb_WHITE-SOX.gif =

HotelWhiteSox
11-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Psshh:

Pods, Suzuki, Thome?

Too many lefties!

TheOldRoman
11-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Well, if Ichiro becomes available, Kenny will go after him hard. That would be an unbelievable lineup, but it would probably be too expensive for the Sox. It would be great if Ichiro could play CF (with his speed and instincts, I would imagine he can), that way Rowand could be traded and Dye could still remain in RF. However, unless Ichiro can play CF, we would have to trade Dye, resign Konerko AND find a huge bat for DH to make up for the power difference between Dye and Ichiro. Payroll would increase by probably $25 million. I don't think there is a remote possibility that he will come here, but it is fun to imagine it.
Hell, for once in my lifetime, I don't have to spend the offseason dreaming of unobtainable lineups. I can just remember last year!

IlliniSox4Life
11-17-2005, 01:47 AM
You think Kenny could get the Japanese media to chip in some cash for Ichiro? Just think of all the extra newspapers and magazines they can sell from all the hype over Ichiro and Iguchi being on a team that's contending for the world series. I'd actually think about leading off Ichiro and putting Pods at #2. I don't really think you could go wrong either way.

But damn that lineup would be scary after moving Iguchi out of the 2 hole where he can concentrate more on hitting and less on moving Pods over.

SOXintheBURGH
11-17-2005, 02:55 AM
I don't care how good Ichiro is, Gio Gonzalez is the future of this club.

Banix12
11-17-2005, 03:16 AM
If i'm the Mariners right now I'm going around the league asking for at minimum

1 current front rotation starting pitcher
1 quality prospect starting pitcher

They could definitely get more that that. Leadoff men are the rarest commodity these days it seems. Fleece the market for what it is worth.

Ichiro is not the reason the Mariners are a bad team, that's far from the truth, however they actually could get better by trading him if they get the right package.

There is a part of me that would be willing to give up a guy like Garland to get him. Then the other part of me wants to beat up that part of me for thinking that way.

soxfanatlanta
11-17-2005, 08:05 AM
There is a part of me that would be willing to give up a guy like Garland to get him. Then the other part of me wants to beat up that part of me for thinking that way.

Don't hate yourself man, you had a moment of weakness.

:wink:

I cannot see Seattle wanting Garland unless they can sign him for a long term contract, which is not likely. Like PK, JG will be looking for his payday next year when he is a free agent; the Mariners would be getting a one year rental, not enough for Ichiro.

Besides, what are you going to do with 2 leadoff hitters with similar OBP? Granted, it's an interesting problem to have; if he is willing to bat towards the bottom of the lineup, great - but I doubt that he would.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Ichiro criticized teammates for playing cards before games instead of preparing, and was dismayed a veteran player didn't call anybody out for it. He also said he is tired of having to set personal goals to motivate himself rather than being motivated by playoff contention. Ichiro (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6615/) still likes Seattle, but it's clear the losing is weighing on him. Where have we heard this before?

:KW
"First guy I catch sitting on the bench wearing gym shoes gets a one-way ticket to Milwaukee!"

:hitless
"Hey don't look at me. I wasn't even on the team!"

:von
"And they were watching Meet the Parents on the clubhouse TV, too!"

:wink:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Ichiro criticized teammates for playing cards before games instead of preparing, and was dismayed a veteran player didn't call anybody out for it. He also said he is tired of having to set personal goals to motivate himself rather than being motivated by playoff contention. Ichiro (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6615/) still likes Seattle, but it's clear the losing is weighing on him.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/1999/1021/photo/a_bonilla.jpg

"What's wrong with that?"

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/1999/1021/126594.html

Thursday, October 21, 1999
Mets veterans reportedly ignored game

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- While their teammates struggled to hold onto a one-run lead in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series, New York Mets outfielders Rickey Henderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/profiles/profile/1650.html) and Bobby Bonilla (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/profiles/profile/3805.html) played cards in the clubhouse in a show of defiance against manager Bobby Valentine, according to a published report.

The Record of Hackensack reported that, according to people in the organization, the two spent the last three innings in the clubhouse ignoring the game.

voodoochile
11-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Hey, this is the team that took Olivo and Reed for Garcia. The Sox can probably get away with Rowand and a couple of "prospects". Seattle is going cheap these days and riding their popularity in the 90's to some hefty profits.

Find some scrubs and make the trade, KW...

1951Campbell
11-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey, this is the team that took Olivo and Reed for Garcia. The Sox can probably get away with Rowand and a couple of "prospects". Seattle is going cheap these days and riding their popularity in the 90's to some hefty profits.

In that case, give Rowand and Lance Broadway plane tickets to Seattle now.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 10:29 AM
If i'm the Mariners right now I'm going around the league asking for at minimum

1 current front rotation starting pitcher
1 quality prospect starting pitcher

They could definitely get more that that. Leadoff men are the rarest commodity these days it seems. Fleece the market for what it is worth.

Ichiro is not the reason the Mariners are a bad team, that's far from the truth, however they actually could get better by trading him if they get the right package.

There is a part of me that would be willing to give up a guy like Garland to get him. Then the other part of me wants to beat up that part of me for thinking that way.I agree. This isn't a salary dump. They would only trade him to get good pieces in return. And the Mariners need nothing more than they need pitching. I'd expect Garland to be the guy they want. At best you might negotiate them down to McCarthy. They might take an OF prospect in addition instead of a pitching prospect, but it would have to be Young or Owens. They'll get at least that much from any other team.

pythons007
11-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Sorry to be blunt but, this is not going to happen.

Mr. White Sox
11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
I agree. This isn't a salary dump. They would only trade him to get good pieces in return. And the Mariners need nothing more than they need pitching. I'd expect Garland to be the guy they want. At best you might negotiate them down to McCarthy. They might take an OF prospect in addition instead of a pitching prospect, but it would have to be Young or Owens. They'll get at least that much from any other team.

Right, and it's not going to happen. They'd want Buehrle and McCarthy, or Buehrle and Young. This is basically the best leadoff guy in the majors, and he's still in his prime with another couple of years on him. A guy entering arbitration won't do it.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Right, and it's not going to happen. They'd want Buehrle and McCarthy, or Buehrle and Young. This is basically the best leadoff guy in the majors, and he's still in his prime with another couple of years on him. A guy entering arbitration won't do it.I think Buehrle is a bit over the top. I don't care if it is "the best leadoff guy in the majors". No team is going to trade them a #1 or #2 pitcher for him.

Banix12
11-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I agree. This isn't a salary dump. They would only trade him to get good pieces in return. And the Mariners need nothing more than they need pitching. I'd expect Garland to be the guy they want. At best you might negotiate them down to McCarthy. They might take an OF prospect in addition instead of a pitching prospect, but it would have to be Young or Owens. They'll get at least that much from any other team.

If I'm the Yankees right now and desperate for OF help. I would put together really nice package. something like

Carl Pavano (+cash)
Shawn Chacon or Chien Ming Wang
a few good prospects

For
Ichiro
a prospect or two.

Personally though i wouldn't give up Ichiro if I had him if only for the additional revenue and cache he brings the team from Japan. I would trade a bunch of other guys on the team before him.

Flight #24
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM

Find some scrubs and make the trade, KW...

They may be scrubs, but they're cheap scrubs and they all have high MICs and KEYs! And they could all be solid, above average major leaguers (if the players ever go on strike again)! In our peerless evaluation system, KE just got fleeced....again! When will Chicago ownership learn that you just can't hold onto a guy like this when proven championship caliber GMs like DePodesta are walking the streets! KW and the Sox were just lucky that MLB decided to award it's "title" to the team with the most wins in the "playoffs" instead of the far superior method if identifying the team with the highest OBP, K-BB, and EIEIO!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

rmusacch
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Pods and Ichiro at 1 and 2? Iguchi in the 3 spot drives in 105 runs.

Can I have some of what you are smoking?:smokin:

TheOldRoman
11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
I think Buehrle is a bit over the top. I don't care if it is "the best leadoff guy in the majors". No team is going to trade them a #1 or #2 pitcher for him.
I agree. Ichiro is a great hitter, dont get me wrong. However, he doesn't get on base any more than Scotty does. Last year Ichiro had an OBP of .350 and Scotty's was .351. Obviously, Ichiro had a higher average (.303-.290) even in a very down year for him, but he still got on base at the same clip as Scotty. The old adage is a walk is as good as a hit. That isn't always true, because hits can drive in runs walks cant. The point is, Ichiro makes outs just as much as Podsednik does. Even if Ichiro returns to his career average of .332 with a .377 OBP, he still isnt worth close to the $12.5 millions he made in 05. That money can be better spent.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 02:41 PM
They may be scrubs, but they're cheap scrubs and they all have high MICs and KEYs! And they could all be solid, above average major leaguers (if the players ever go on strike again)! In our peerless evaluation system, KE just got fleeced....again! When will Chicago ownership learn that you just can't hold onto a guy like this when proven championship caliber GMs like DePodesta are walking the streets! KW and the Sox were just lucky that MLB decided to award it's "title" to the team with the most wins in the "playoffs" instead of the far superior method if identifying the team with the highest OBP, K-BB, and EIEIO!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

:fobbgod:
"Why is that in teal?"

bobowhite
11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know what Japanese newspaper this was in? I've looked in the Youmiri, Chunichi and Asahi and haven't seen it ?

Thank you.

Man Soo Lee
11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
I'd expect Garland to be the guy they want. At best you might negotiate them down to McCarthy.

That's negotiating them down? Six years of McCarthy (including three pre-arbitration) vs. one year of Garland. Even if a team could be certain of signing Garland to an extension, McCarthy might be more valuable.

Banix12
11-17-2005, 11:15 PM
If I'm wrong in the following post correct me please, I'm not totally clear on where certain revenue streams, like merchandising, go in baseball. i was an english major, not a business major.

Anyway, I was thinking, for people talking about how Ichiro would cost way too much for the white sox at his current salary, Ichiro is the kind of player who makes money for a team because of all the additional revenue he can bring in from Japan. I don't know any exact figures or where I would get them, so I don't know the difference between his salary and additional revenue generated, but clearly adding a player like Ichiro to the White Sox, or any team for that matter, would increase that teams worldwide visability. And even though the white sox do have a foothold in the japanese market already, Ichiro is the most popular japanese player so there would certainly be some increase.

That said I think a deal is unlikely, but I don't think cost of player should be too big an issue in a player like Ichiro. The players that seattle would take back to make the deal are the greater issue.