PDA

View Full Version : Why no Brewers for 2006?

brewcrew/chisox
11-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Can someone explain the method for choosing opponents for interleague? The Sox haven't played the Brewers in a "meaningful" game since 2001. It would seem to me that every time the Sox play the NL Central, they would have to have the Brewers on their schedule somewhere, as the teams are so close geographicaly and it would be good for MLB. But alas, this year the Crew is nowhere to be found. Can someone please help me out here?

Palehose13
11-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Can someone explain the method for choosing opponents for interleague? The Sox haven't played the Brewers in a "meaningful" game since 2001. It would seem to me that every time the Sox play the NL Central, they would have to have the Brewers on their schedule somewhere, as the teams are so close geographicaly and it would be good for MLB. But alas, this year the Crew is nowhere to be found. Can someone please help me out here?

Dunno, but it sure pisses me off.

NonetheLoaiza
11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I'd love to see Sox fans invade Miller Park, and I would love to see the Crew play at US Cellular. I forget where they played last, but I love seeing the Sox and Brewers match up because that was the first game my dad and I went to, so it brings back some memories.

antitwins13
11-15-2005, 11:16 PM
I'd love to see Sox fans invade Miller Park, and I would love to see the Crew play at US Cellular. I forget where they played last, but I love seeing the Sox and Brewers match up because that was the first game my dad and I went to, so it brings back some memories.

I think the Sox played the Crew at Miller as the last spring games in 2005. As for regular season I have no idea, but I think it was the first year that they were in the NL.

brewcrew/chisox
11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
I think the Sox played the Crew at Miller as the last spring games in 2005. As for regular season I have no idea, but I think it was the first year that they were in the NL.

The Sox played the Crew in interleague play at Miller Park in 2001. Since then, they've only played in exhibition games--and only at Miller Park--at the end of spring training

kjkobs
11-15-2005, 11:25 PM

Last regular season meetings were in July 2001 at Miller Park. Sox swept the three-game series :cool:

fquaye149
11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I always assumed it was because the AL central/Nl central teams would always have the guaranteed rivarly games every year, and therefore AL Central interleague would be v. the NL west or East. However, that theory seems to be incorrect as we're playing the NL Cenrtral coming up sooner than later, right?

Maybe it's that the Brewers don't want to play us. Can't really blame them for that. :smile:

SaltyPretzel
11-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Since the Sox play the Cubs twice a year, one team had to be dropped. Unfortunately, it was the Brewers. :angry:

mandmandm
11-16-2005, 09:59 AM
I always assumed it was because the AL central/Nl central teams would always have the guaranteed rivarly games every year, and therefore AL Central interleague would be v. the NL west or East. However, that theory seems to be incorrect as we're playing the NL Cenrtral coming up sooner than later, right?

Maybe it's that the Brewers don't want to play us. Can't really blame them for that. :smile:

Must have been the brilliant hindsite of Bud the Dud to get the Brewers out of the AL central before the Sox would be crowned world champions. That, or the cheap bastard did not want to pay for a DH.

Chicken Dinner
11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately for Chicago peeps, schedules are not made so the opposing teams fans can "invade" the other teams park. The NL Central has the most teams in it in all of baseball. The cross-town classic isn't going anywhere so something has to give. If you want to see the Sox play the Brewers it looks like you'll have to go to spring training, or is that too far for ya.

mandmandm
11-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately for Chicago peeps, schedules are not made so the opposing teams fans can "invade" the other teams park. The NL Central has the most teams in it in all of baseball. The cross-town classic isn't going anywhere so something has to give. If you want to see the Sox play the Brewers it looks like you'll have to go to spring training, or is that too far for ya.

I wonder if that would be different had Bud the Dud still owned the team. A pretty good chance at a three game sell out at Miller park. Cha-Ching to Bud's bottom line.

Ol' No. 2
11-16-2005, 11:07 AM
There's a limited number of interleague games, and it's not enough to play all the teams in a division because of the two "rivalry" series. Last year the Sox did not play the Giants.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
If you want to see the Sox play the Brewers it looks like you'll have to go to spring training, or is that too far for ya.

or in the 2006 World Series

C-Dawg
11-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Would the Cubs really be missed if we didn't play them 6 times each season? In my opinion the novelty has worn off. How about they substitute the Brewers for one of those series each year?

anewman35
11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Would the Cubs really be missed if we didn't play them 6 times each season? In my opinion the novelty has worn off. How about they substitute the Brewers for one of those series each year?

The White Sox and Brewers would very likely not sell out 3 games every year, while Cubs/Sox is guarenteed to. Therefore, there's no way they'd ever do this.

Chicken Dinner
11-16-2005, 01:46 PM

The Brewers will be too busy playing the Twins.

Ol' No. 2
11-16-2005, 02:05 PM
The White Sox and Brewers would very likely not sell out 3 games every year, while Cubs/Sox is guarenteed to. Therefore, there's no way they'd ever do this.I, for one, would not miss having thousands of idiots invading the park three times a year, barfing in sinks, pissing in wastebaskets, vandalizing statues and generally acting like obnoxious pigs. But unfortunately, money talks, and three guaranteed sellouts a year talks loudly.

Law11
11-17-2005, 08:43 AM

Here, here.. I'm with ya' I look forward to the games but its so overblown.
Id rather play them 3 and rotate venues yearly.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-17-2005, 05:21 PM
:offtopic:

When i went to school in milwaukee it was fun watching the whole city get in an uproar when they'd play the cubs.

They hated the fact that 95% of that stadium was filled with cub fans, and I hated it too. But i did scalp my $5 ticket for $50 bucks, so that was cool.

I also had to constantly remmind everyone i knew up there that i was a WHITE SOX fan and not a dorky schlubs fan

JohnBasedowYoda
11-17-2005, 05:22 PM

agreed. those two weeks are bloody ones between me and my cub fan friends. once a year is fine with me.

itsnotrequired
11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
In case anyone missed it, the start times for next season's games have been published.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/prices.jsp

LongLiveFisk
11-17-2005, 05:48 PM

Me too, but again, money talks. By the way, is it just the Chicago teams doing this 6-game thing or are the Yanks/Mets, Angels/Dodgers, etc doing the home and away thing as well??

Lip Man 1
11-17-2005, 06:01 PM
LL Fisk:

Yes the natural rivals play each other six times a season. Also includes San Fran / Oak.

Lip

Hitmen77
11-18-2005, 08:43 AM
I agree too. I really don't care for the Cubs/Sox series anymore. I'd rather see it cut down to one series a year.

Norberto7
11-18-2005, 08:53 AM
I'll also agree that the "rivalry" games should be kept to once a year. Think about it, if Cubs-Sox is getting old, then what about that Tigers - Diamondbacks "rivalry"?

That reached the boiling point yet? :?:

Give it up, one series a year, max.

SoxFan78
11-18-2005, 09:20 AM
I like the two series vs. the cubs every year. Some of my buddies are Cub fans, so we will get tickets to see Sox/Cubs at the urinal, and then they come down to Comiskey to see a game.

DenverSock
11-18-2005, 09:21 AM
or in the 2006 World Series

Brewers ain't making the playoffs.

:roflmao::roflmao::rolling::rolling::rolling:

I personally hate interleague play, it leads to the unbalanced schedule, neccesitates a second round of playoffs meaning the regular season is devalued, etc. I'm sure everybody here is familiar with all the arguments.
I know we can't go back, there are too many teams. Ah well!