PDA

View Full Version : Yanks ink Matsui

KRS1
11-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Per rotoworld
Yankees agreed to terms with outfielder Hideki Matsui on a four-year, $52 million contract.
The Yankees confirmed the agreement tonight. Matsui just finished up a deal that paid him $21 million, plus $1.5 million in incentives. The new contract puts him among the game's highest-paid outfielders and gives him an annual salary matching that of teammate Gary Sheffield. Most importantly, he surpasses Ichiro Suzuki to become the highest-paid player from Japan

kittle42
11-15-2005, 10:41 PM
If Matsui gets 13 per for 4, what does that say about Konerko's projected value?

soxwon
11-15-2005, 10:50 PM
If Matsui gets 13 per for 4, what does that say about Konerko's projected value?

thats what we offered PK.

in a way we would overpay paulie.

Brian26
11-15-2005, 10:52 PM
thats what we offered PK.

in a way we would overpay paulie.

No, Kittle is saying that based on Matsui's contract, PK probably deserves 16 million a year for 5 yrs. However, Steinbrenner's over-inflated payscale doesn't necessary count outside of NYC. That Matsui contract is insane.

DickAllen72
11-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Nothing.

doublem23
11-15-2005, 11:12 PM
:o:

Wow... I mean, he's the best outfielder they have, but jeeeeeeeeesus.

veeter
11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Shouldn't have any effect.

SouthSoxFan
11-15-2005, 11:31 PM
In addition to being a talented player, Matsui was immensely popular in Japan. He has value as drawing card for a different segment of the fan base. The Yankees understand that.

nodiggity59
11-15-2005, 11:38 PM
He's proven he can play in NY and still in his prime years. You can't put a price on that. I definitely would've paid him whatever he wanted rather than risk some newbie in the Bronx. Matsui is a rock who draws Japanese fans. A good deal for both sides.

ChiSoxRowand
11-15-2005, 11:42 PM
He's proven he can play in NY and still in his prime years. You can't put a price on that. I definitely would've paid him whatever he wanted rather than risk some newbie in the Bronx. Matsui is a rock who draws Japanese fans. A good deal for both sides.

Exactly, the Yankees make a lot of money off him. So they were able to overpay him. Although I hope this doesn't drive up the market value for other key free agents.....

duke of dorwood
11-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Matsui has better production than Konerko, and is left handed. I was worried he'd get more-this bodes better right now

fquaye149
11-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Matsui has better production than Konerko, and is left handed. I was worried he'd get more-this bodes better right now

Exactly - a lot of people dogging Matsui, just assuming Paul is a much better hitter than him. Maybe they should look at the stats: Matsui actually did have a pretty decent year.

.305/.367/.406 23HR/116 RBI/ 78 K's

Paulie was at

.283/.375/.534 with 40HR/100 RBI/109 K

clearly Paulie has the power edge, but asides from that, considering that Matsui plays the OF (not well, of course, but certainly serviceably) and is a left-handed hitter, their relative value isn't too far apart.

When you consider career averages, the two ballplayers get closer together in value.

I don't think this pushes Paulie's value up at all. The only thing is that Paulie is a little higher profile as a free agent. I think Steinbrenner will offer him around 15 per for 4+ years. I REALLY doubt Kenny's going to match that. I also think that will be high offer, so I guess it will come down to if Paulie is willing to go to NY for like 8 or so odd million dollars.

Frankly, I expect him back here for somewhere around 55/4 years.

Knock on wood.

ilsox7
11-16-2005, 12:20 AM
If it weren't the Yankees, this would mean PK would top out at 4 years, 52 million. Matsui is more valuable in a vacuum b/c his production offensively is better and he plays a position other than DH/1st. However, it is not a vacuum. That being said, PK should not get more than 13 million a year after seeing this deal. But he probably will.

peeonwrigley
11-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm in agreement with those who posted above per Matsui and his value to the Yankees. He's an all star caliber player who also has considerable value as a drawing card. He got about what I expected he would.

MUsoxfan
11-16-2005, 01:19 AM
The Yankees have a tradition of overpaying players. Just wait until they want to unload Matsui

Steelrod
11-16-2005, 02:22 AM
No, Kittle is saying that based on Matsui's contract, PK probably deserves 16 million a year for 5 yrs. However, Steinbrenner's over-inflated payscale doesn't necessary count outside of NYC. That Matsui contract is insane.

Intelligent quotes like that from Kittle will pretty much lock up him getting the Sox radio job! lol.

soxfanreggie
11-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Well, this is less money the Yankees would have to spend on PK if they were after him. But, it is the Yankees. They're the only ones with the ability to overpay so many players. Some teams do over pay a few players, but it catches up to them. George just seems to want to acquire anybody with a contract over $15 million per...

I don't think that a lot of teams will have the money to lock up PK to a long-term deal past what Matsui gets. The Angels have a log jam at 1B and most other teams don't have the room in their payrolls.

kittle42
11-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Intelligent quotes like that from Kittle will pretty much lock up him getting the Sox radio job! lol.

That's what I'm working on. :rolleyes:

bobowhite
11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Agree that Matsui is over-paid. Agree that it locks in popularity with Japanese fans.

Hope this settles all the Matsui really watched the Sox with interest and would like to pair with Iguchi garbage. Anybody who wrote that stuff or believed it for a second doesn't know a thing about Japanese baseball.

Flight #24
11-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Hope this settles all the Matsui really watched the Sox with interest and would like to pair with Iguchi garbage. Anybody who wrote that stuff or believed it for a second doesn't know a thing about Japanese baseball.

Ummmm....regardless of what he might/might not have wanted in terms of playing for the Sox & with Iguchi, I think there's a fairly simple fact that the Sox were NOT going to pay him in excess of $12M/yr and the Spankees were. So that he took more money in NY than he'd have gotten elsewheredoesn't really tell you much of anything except that he likes money.

Much like if Paul Konerko takes a 5-yr/$15M offer from someone over a 5-yr/$13M offer from the Sox it doesn't mean that he didn't mean it when he said he'd rather stay. It means that might rather stay, but not over taking that much extra $$$.

Chisox003
11-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Agree that Matsui is over-paid. Agree that it locks in popularity with Japanese fans.

Settle down.

We're not all experts on this board, like you.

:rolleyes: