PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans Who Live Elsewhere, What's Happening?

MarySwiss
11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Reviewing the threads, it occurs to me that Sox fans who live outside the Chicago metro area are having an experience that's a tad different from those who don't. I've already talked about my difficulty in obtaining Sox WS paraphenalia--including breakfast cereal, dammit!

I'm in Arizona. And soon the snowbirds--that's what we call our "winter visitors"--will start to arrive. In years past, I've seen far too many people wearing "Cubbie Blue." Be interesting to see how many of them will be sporting brand-new Sox WS gear.

So, what's going on in your neck of the woods? Anyone? Anyone?

RKMeibalane
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
In a word, nothing. Most people are focused on the Colts right now. There are a fair number of Sox fans in the Indianapolis area, but not enough to generate any kind of impact. Most of the people I've talked with didn't even watch this season's World Series, and even fewer of them cared that the Sox won.

krohnjw
11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Nothing here (but what can be expected in the land of cigarettes and college basketball).

I had to load up on Sox stuff at the grandstand and bookstores when I was back in chicago at the end of October. That will have to do me until Soxfest, then all bets are off :D:

Hokiesox
11-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Not a thing here in D.C. Everyone thinks I'm a martian for still being excited about the White Sox. The only place I can get my championship news is from good ol' WSI. I'm so happy Mr. Bova, et al provide this beautiful website. Otherwise, I would not be able to share my joy and revelry with any other Sox fans.

samram
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Nothing doing here, not even a wayward Cubs' fan to say something negative. For people here, it's football and college basketball, and I've already heard the predictions of a Panthers blowout this weekend.

chisox
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
i got into an argument with a 'stros fan this weekend. he ended the conversation by asking, "yeah, well...how much did you guys pay the umps??"

other than that the only source of sox news that i get is from wsi. i've heard some pk free agency talk, but nothing else...

IotaNet
11-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Nothing happening here in Minneapolis.

People are politely congratulatory but most of the focus is on the Vikings and their woes.

Fuller_Schettman
11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
All quiet here in SF, where baseball ended on Labour Day. I think the A's may be firing Ken Macha again this week. Then they will re-hire him on December 25. Think of it as Festivus for the rest of us!

I am certainly enjoying the Major Suckitude of the Bay Area football teams. I have been a Niner-hater since the 80s, so I am living it up! I did at least get to see my one Bears game for the year on Sunday. So I got that going for me.

Speaking of 80s, that is where the weather and my golf game is lately! Gotta love NoCal! Now if I could only find a job...

Stroker Ace
11-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Don't see any WS stuff, but today I enjoyed butting into "A-Rod deserved the MVP" conversations and saying that he may have won 2 MVP's, but he doesn't have a World Series ring.

goofymsfan
11-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Not much doing here in Seattle either. Most are focused on the Seahawks who seem to have finally figured out how to play as a team. I finally got rest of the MLB stuff I had ordered in the mail.

dividedsk717
11-15-2005, 09:24 PM
In a word, nothing. Most people are focused on the Colts right now. There are a fair number of Sox fans in the Indianapolis area, but not enough to generate any kind of impact. Most of the people I've talked with didn't even watch this season's World Series, and even fewer of them cared that the Sox won.

To add to this: I saw four people at the Colts game against Houston wearing Sox attire (either a hat or a shirt), and that was an improvement (no teal).

I see nothing happening in the Indy area either ... no fan reaction, no championship merch, no cereal boxes ... nothing. Kinda sad considering you can get from Indy to Chicago in less than 3 hours, and the Sox are the second closest team to Indy (Reds).

Oh well. There's lots of Cubs stuff on clearance in the stores, though.

gaelhound
11-15-2005, 10:58 PM
I work in a walk in medical clinic primarilly serving occ health issues. A few peoplke have come in in Sox gear and I loudly announce that there is no waiting for Sox fans and then I take them ahead of the mopes in their Packer or Badger gear. I have to keep myself amused!:tongue:

Palehose13
11-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Champs in the mall has the official WS and AL champs shirts. The Jewel near my house had unofficial Sox champs shirt shortly after theWS, but they are gone now. Other than that, pretty quiet here. Oh...I did get my Wheaties box yesterday at the store. MarySwiss, am I going to have to ship one down to you? :cool:

SouthSoxFan
11-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Down here in Texas its all about football. However, my son is still sporting his array of Sox championship gear at school on a daily basis!

WSDaytonOH
11-15-2005, 11:09 PM
There's a Chicago Hot Dog Stand here that Chuck cooks up the dogs and beef and sausage sandwiches. I love stickin' it to all the Indians fans! I can't wait to make it up the JAKE and hear all those winers.

I'll be goin' home for Thanksgiving and loading up on stuff and CEREAL!

antitwins13
11-16-2005, 12:33 AM
It's all Chiefs football out here in southern Iowa.

michned
11-16-2005, 12:39 AM
I do see various Sox hats and shirts around town, something I have NEVER seen down here (even with all the ex-Chicagoans down here). Groundskeeper at the park - Sox hat. Guy shopping at grocery store - Sox AL Champs shirt. There is even a Chicago-style pizza place down here that I have previously suspected to be Cub-centric - what's on their marquee? Two words: Steve Perry.

Of course, my eight-year-old had fall ball practice tonight, and screw the normal practice jersey and team cap. He's decked out in a Sox WS Champs shirt and cap.

Ed

pudge
11-16-2005, 12:50 AM
For as much pub as Boston gets, I'm out here in the Northwest and there wasn't a peep about Boston after last year either. I expected to see *some* Red Sox championship stuff somewhere considering how big their fan base supposedly is, but there was surprisingly little. I've worn plenty of White Sox stuff these past few weeks, and when my World Series Champs fleece gets here, that sucker is going to be worn A LOT.

InContention
11-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Nothing down here in Tide Country, not even in our school paper, which so adeptly predicted the Red Cubs sweeping us. They did not even mention us winning the Series, as in, not even the typical AP blurb, but had a huge back page article detailing more love for Roger Clemens than one man should have :angry:

saltwater farmer
11-16-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm convinced now that I am the only Sox fan in Portland, Maine, but everyone I know is aware of my allegiance and I've been on cloud nine for weeks.

I have my Champs hat and t-shirt and I'm keeping an eye out for BuehrleWheaties. The simpe fact of the matter is that MY TEAM, the team I've been loyal to since I was six years old is THE WORLD CHAMPION!

I must say that the Red Sox fans I know have been very cool. They know better than anyone how I feel and they have all gone out of their way to tell me how impressed they are with the way the Pale Hose won.

:gulp: :bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

goofymsfan
11-16-2005, 08:12 AM
For as much pub as Boston gets, I'm out here in the Northwest and there wasn't a peep about Boston after last year either. I expected to see *some* Red Sox championship stuff somewhere considering how big their fan base supposedly is, but there was surprisingly little. I've worn plenty of White Sox stuff these past few weeks, and when my World Series Champs fleece gets here, that sucker is going to be worn A LOT.

Actually, I'd see quite a bit of Red Sox stuff last year at the M's games, even when Boston wasn't in town. I'd even see it at the Seahawk games. gaw :puking:

boiler up
11-16-2005, 08:24 AM
it sucks, plain and simple. i go home and everyone has celebrated and stuff. instead, i have the memories of watching the world series by myself on a couch in a living room of the house i live in by myself.

lame, at least i got to experience it though.

1951Campbell
11-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Nothin' doin' here. It's been all T.O. all the time since football season started.

soxfanatlanta
11-16-2005, 09:08 AM
I saw a Sox hat yesterday, and it wasn't mine. That makes 3 I've seen this month! Most people in Atl are either loving or hating Mike Vick right now.

tulsasoxfan
11-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Not much happening in Tulsa...this is college football USA. I get quite a few compliments on my White Sox World Series hat though.

Baby Fisk
11-16-2005, 09:17 AM
In Toronto, if it doesn't involve the Maple Leafs, it doesn't exist... :rolleyes:

Although one person gave me a "Go White Sox!" when he spotted my hat coming out of a movie theatre last week. Those moments are very rare.

PaulDrake
11-16-2005, 09:24 AM
This is Gamecock country and all you hear about is Spurrier and his resurgent football team. In good times and bad, South Carolina football dominates the papers and the airwaves. South Carolina has an excellent NCAA baseball program, but Ray Tanner and his boys get nowhere near the hype of the football team. South Carolina has never had a top ten football team, but this is the football crazy south. I should say college football crazy. A couple of years ago when the Panthers were in the Super Bowl I didn't see one banner or sign of acknowledgement anywhere in the vicinity. For a big city Yankee this is a very tough inhospitable environment. Oh one more thing. A local sports talk show occasionally has a host from the Chicago area. He's a die hard fan of the baby blues.

MarySwiss
11-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Champs in the mall has the official WS and AL champs shirts. The Jewel near my house had unofficial Sox champs shirt shortly after theWS, but they are gone now. Other than that, pretty quiet here. Oh...I did get my Wheaties box yesterday at the store. MarySwiss, am I going to have to ship one down to you? :cool:

Thanks, but let's give it more time. It'd probably cost more to ship it than it would to buy a case of Wheaties! :D:

Trav
11-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Here in Norfolk the buzz around the Sox is generated by me. At work the people who have given me a hard time since I got here were congratulatory. After I got back from game 1 everyone was pretty happy for me. From the sound of people's "good job" you would have thought I did something to help.

Around town my car plates (CHSOX1) have garnered some interest. Quite a few people who claimed the Cubs as their favorite team have switched but those people don't even like baseball so it isn't a big deal to them.

tlebar318
11-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I may be the only Sox fan in Orlando! That's ok I wear my gear loud and proud! Down here is all about college football and the Magic this time of year! Well, at least its warm! :cool:

wilburaga
11-16-2005, 11:03 AM
All quiet on the Eastern Front.

Couldn't find the SI Commemorative World Series edition anywhere around NYC so I got it off ebay. It's a keeper.

Been sporting my Sox cap at various cross country meets around New England and have gotten lots of positive feedback.

Life is good.

W

AZChiSoxFan
11-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Mary,

My wife and I went up to Flagstaff this past weekend, and I saw 3 people there wearing Sox gear. I go to Flag about 5-6 times a year, and I have never seen anyone wearing Sox gear there, until this time.

Paulwny
11-16-2005, 11:05 AM
In Toronto, if it doesn't involve the Maple Leafs, it doesn't exist... :rolleyes:

Although one person gave me a "Go White Sox!" when he spotted my hat coming out of a movie theatre last week. Those moments are very rare.

Substitute Bills and Sabres for Leafs and you are not alone.

bluestar
11-16-2005, 11:24 AM
A few of my co-workers said something congratulatory a week or so after the World Series was over, but most people here in Nashville that talk about sports just complain about how bad the Titans and the Tennessee Vols are. The day after the World Series ended, I listened to some local sports talk radio and there were only a couple of passing mentions of the Sox winning.

I am also trying to find the Wheaties box. Everything I have found here is either Kirk Gibson or Roberto Clemente so far.

bobbythigpen
11-16-2005, 11:40 AM

which store did you find the buehrle wheaties box? nothing doing at the east side pick n' saves or the sentry on oakland.

TDog
11-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Mary,

My wife and I went up to Flagstaff this past weekend, and I saw 3 people there wearing Sox gear. I go to Flag about 5-6 times a year, and I have never seen anyone wearing Sox gear there, until this time.

I never found any White Sox love in Arizona. Even the transplanted Chicagoans were typically Cubs fans. A couple of years ago I was in Tucson riding in a friend's rental car getting gas. He didn't know know where the gas cap was, and another man at the island found it. Noting our Sox caps, he incorporated the team into his parting insult. I'm hoping to get more respect in Sox gear when I visit Tucson again in January.

As for Alaska, to quote a movie filmed in Juneau at the end of the '90s, disco hasn't made it here yet. I was buying groceries a few weeks ago in my Sox jacket with a 1917-style logo and a woman asked me which Sox. When I said white, she said she was cheering for them in the Series. So it isn't as hostile as I'm led to believe by the Cubs hat my supervisor wears in the office. I didn't see any cruise ship passengers in Sox gear this summer. Lots of Cubs hats though.

Maybe next summer will be different.

southpaw40
11-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Here in Norfolk the buzz around the Sox is generated by me. At work the people who have given me a hard time since I got here were congratulatory. After I got back from game 1 everyone was pretty happy for me. From the sound of people's "good job" you would have thought I did something to help.

Around town my car plates (CHSOX1) have garnered some interest. Quite a few people who claimed the Cubs as their favorite team have switched but those people don't even like baseball so it isn't a big deal to them.

After a Sox game in Baltimore a few years ago, in a White Castle, a guy asked the crowded little restaurant who owned the car parked outside with the Virginia issued "CHISOX" license plates. When I said it was mine, he said he lived in the Norfolk area and had tried to get those plates, only to find out they had already been issued. Was that you?

southpaw40
11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Not a whole lot of noise here about the Sox winning the World Series....not surprising. That's o.k. though, because I appreciate the feeling of knowing that MY TEAM is the 2005 World Series Champion!!

I did get one of the t-shirts that the team wore in the locker room celebration from a guy who works for the company that made them because he knew my dad and I are Sox fans!:D:

samram
11-16-2005, 12:53 PM
This is Gamecock country and all you hear about is Spurrier and his resurgent football team. In good times and bad, South Carolina football dominates the papers and the airwaves. South Carolina has an excellent NCAA baseball program, but Ray Tanner and his boys get nowhere near the hype of the football team. South Carolina has never had a top ten football team, but this is the football crazy south. I should say college football crazy. A couple of years ago when the Panthers were in the Super Bowl I didn't see one banner or sign of acknowledgement anywhere in the vicinity. For a big city Yankee this is a very tough inhospitable environment. Oh one more thing. A local sports talk show occasionally has a host from the Chicago area. He's a die hard fan of the baby blues.

Yeah, there's been little talk here about the Bears-Panthers game this week. The Panthers just don't generate a lot of excitement. The Cowboys and Redskins fans here are far more passionate. There's been a ton of NASCAR talk (ick) and lots of questions about why the South Carolina-Clemson game is only being shown in South Carolina. Oh, and more NASCAR. I'm sure the Hurricanes' good start will soon be the talk of NC though.

HITMEN OF 77
11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Not much here. I get a lot of "Congratualtions" from friends I haven't seen in a while, on the Sox winning the WS. All focus right now is on the Apple Cup this weekend. Go WAZZU!!

TheBull
11-16-2005, 01:46 PM
There is not much Sox stuff going on in San Diego. The bar where we watch the Bear games has a two or three other Sox fans, but Cub fans are the majority. I have noticed a few of them sporting Sox hats now, which disgusts me. It was cool to receive congratulatory e-mails from long lost coworkers and friends, but it took a week or so to get over the let down after returning from the buzz in Chicago.

The wife and I frequent a pizza place (“Lefty’s” on 30th and Upas for those of you in San Diego) which is owned and operated by recently transplanted Chicagoans and die-hard Cub fans. We pickup from there about twice a week and enjoy friendly jousting regarding the teams. Since I spent 20 days of October in Chicago, I did not make it to Lefty’s until after the Series. Fearing there might be unwanted “special sauce” added to my pizza due to ill will towards the Sox and my leaving numerous anonymous “Kiss Him Goodbye” and “Let’s Go White Sox” messages on their answering machine during my stays in Chicago, I ordered my pizza under the name “Ozzie.” Much to my surprise, we received a standing ovation in honor of the Sox from the pizza guys and owner when we walked in. Granted they were all standing anyway, but we thought it was pretty cool of them because I would not have been nearly as gracious if roles were reversed.

nebraskasox
11-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Here in Omaha, it's Husker football country where the state has agonized over at least becoming bowl eligible with six wins. The Huskers reached that with a close win over another struggling team, K-state.

But there are Sox fans here. I occassionally see a Sox cap other than my own. There was an article in the Omaha World Herald about Husker coach Bill Callahan who is a Sox fan from the S Side. In fact, he went to the same H.S. as me, Mendel Catholic on the far S. side. In the pre-WS article, Callahan said, "it's our turn" and talked about the Sox team attitude with no superstars and their work ethic and how they play baseball the "right way".

Also, my kids went to Millard North HS in Omaha. That football team will be in the state championship game for the 4th straight year I believe. Their coach, Fred Petito, sometimes wears a Sox cap on the sidelines and I believe he is also from the S side.

To the Tulsa fan: I lived many years in Tulsa so I know there are not a lot of Sox fans there. Mostly Cardinals and Rangers since the Tulsa Drillers are in the Texas system. Too bad the Pizzaria UNO on 61st & Memorial closed. It was a slice of Chicago in Tulsa.

EastCoastSoxFan
11-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I've been pretty busy laughing at T.O. as the Iggles' season slowly goes down in flames. If they're smart they'll put McNabb on IR right now so he can get that abdomenal (or whatever) surgery done and get a head start on his rehab in preparation for next year.
Also, new Phillies GM Pat Gillick has one of the toughest jobs in baseball -- to find the 2 or 3 players the Phillies need to get into the playoffs and somehow get something for Jim Thome. From what I hear he (Gillick) is sometimes a bit too willing to gut his team's farm system to achieve success, as he did in Toronto, Baltimore, and Seattle.
So far I have bought only the 2005 World Series Champions jersey patch and a belated 2003 All-Star Game patch (so I can have one patch on each sleeve) for my authentic home jersey. I shall sport them proudly in opposing ballparks next year -- hopefully Baltimore, New York, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. I will certainly pick up complete World Series (and hopefully complete post-season) DVDs when they are available.
In the meantime it's been fun to accept congratulations from people around here who know me well enough to know my sports loyalties...

gowhitesox
11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
I only know one other person in San Antonio who loves the White Sox as much as I do. After winning the World Series I kept my White Sox shirts on all week and several people congratulated me for the Sox winning the World Series. Although I am only a mere fan I was proud to accept the congrat's on behalf of our World Champions!

Leading up the World Series, I kept my Sox shirts on as a way of telling Astros fans that were in for the fight of their lives and that the Sox would prevail.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!

mccoydp
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
You wouldn't even know the Sox existed here by just going around town. I'm the only Sox fan around here; I did get hearty "congrats that your team won" for the WS win here in the office, but that's just because I publicize the fact that I'm a Sox fan.
I checked the sporting goods stores in the malls to see if anything has changed...no luck. The stores are still inundated with Yankmees, Scrubs, and Red-Cubs gear. Of course, the Washington Nationals are popular, but that's due to our proximity to DC.
I can't even find the SI commemorative issue of the WS win at Barnes and Noble!
I do think about (moreso recently) my wonderful year as a Sox fan at Illinois tech, from '92-'93, and I think about all the fun that you Chicagoans had with this win.

Coolpapa
11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
My Sox hat and jacket are usually met with a warm reception, I have discovered at least a dozen more fans here than I expected. Downside is having the San Antonio Spurs Wheaties box in the cereal aisle.

SOX LA Mikey
11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Very Little Sox Love in SoCal
I have met quite a few Bitter Angels fans who come right out with
"cheater" remarks, ...I reply with the Angels had NOTHING

on WS game 4 night, I was hoping to get somebody anybody over to
watch the game on my BIG Screen -no interest from anybody :(
so I celebrated alone, but I couldn't take it so I headed to Burbank
just for a little Sox Love, I got there an hour after the game and
found a few stragglers.

I work in a medical clinic and many of the patients know my White Sox
loyalty, So every day I get one or two congrats from the old folks
and that warms my heart. I also have 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS!
on the side door of my van, look for me in Tucson in Feb and March....
-Mikey:bandance:

sox84
11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
All the sports reporters here in Central Illinois gave the Sox due props after the series, but make no mistake that this is primarily Cardinal/cub country. Hoping that changes now, but not holding my breath. Get good classy comments from Cardinal fans, but havent seen many Cub Fans, They hide their little blue hats around here until they manage to win a few during the season, then they pop out all over the place. All in all Its been positive. Real glad they are on the score next year, because I can finally pick up Sox games on the radio.

PKalltheway
11-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Nothing much here in Cincinnati except for tons of Bengals coverage. All in all, most people I talk to here are glad that the Sox won.:D: There are still some people here who still do not like the Sox though.

CHEESESOXER
11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Nothing ever happens here in cheeseville that doesn't involve the gb pukers and, they whine that the Bears still suck even though we're in 1st and they're only reading about playing.

I don't think these beerheads even know who the Sox are.

Add to that that it's freezing up here with that frozen white piss on the ground.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING TRAINING!!!!!!!!:(:

goofymsfan
11-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Not much here. I get a lot of "Congratualtions" from friends I haven't seen in a while, on the Sox winning the WS. All focus right now is on the Apple Cup this weekend. Go WAZZU!!

I don't mean to change topic, but did you see that the Space Needle is decked out in Wazzu Colors and has the Wazzu flag flying above it for the Apple Cup Week?

Just got the Sun Times Hard cover book in the mail today and ordered the Cubune one today. It's the only way I can find anything White Sox out here.

HITMEN OF 77
11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't mean to change topic, but did you see that the Space Needle is decked out in Wazzu Colors and has the Wazzu flag flying above it for the Apple Cup Week?

Just got the Sun Times Hard cover book in the mail today and ordered the Cubune one today. It's the only way I can find anything White Sox out here.

I haven't seen any photos of the Space Needle yet. I'll have to surf the www and see if I can find some. I can't believe that in Seattle where Udubb is they would decorate the most famous thing in Seattle in Wazzu colors. Too funny!! :D:

How did you order your books? What do you think of the the Sun Times book?

DieTrying79
11-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Like Fuller Schettman said, not alot happening in the Bay Area. I do get alot of looks and even some kind comments when I'm rocking my Sox gear, which usually strikes up a good baseball conversation.

My boss is a Giants season ticket holder, and a rabid fan of the game. He was very supportive and happy for me when we did what we did (aww yeah!), and his eyes lit up when he found out I went to ALCS game 2, aka the "Pierzynski Game"...

Otherwise, gotta keep rockin' the Sox pride, and love the looks from the sour A's, Angels, and Giants fans...

greenpeach
11-16-2005, 09:52 PM
I saw a Sox hat yesterday, and it wasn't mine. That makes 3 I've seen this month! Most people in Atl are either loving or hating Mike Vick right now.

I'm sure I must have been one of those three. :D:

goofymsfan
11-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I haven't seen any photos of the Space Needle yet. I'll have to surf the www and see if I can find some. I can't believe that in Seattle where Udubb is they would decorate the most famous thing in Seattle in Wazzu colors. Too funny!! :D:

There was a contest to raise money for Hurricane victims and the Wazzu fans raised quite a bit more than the Husky fans....From the PI: COUGARS WIN! WSU fans donated more than $30,000 more than Huskies fans to the Space Needle's Hurricane Katrina relief effort, and as a result the Seattle landmark will be painted crimson and gray for Apple Cup weekend with the message "Go Cougars!"

How did you order your books? What do you think of the the Sun Times book?

I ordered the Sun Times one online and I called the number 1-800 number to order the Cubune book. Someone mentioned that both are available on Amazon.com for less than ordering directly....Wish I would have known that before I ordered mine. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-6741549-9343855

Ron Karkovice
11-17-2005, 12:25 AM
I wore my White Sox Nation tshirt today (club at U of I), and people were confused because the "series was weeks ago" :rolleyes:

antitwins13
11-17-2005, 01:51 AM
I wore my White Sox Nation tshirt today (club at U of I), and people were confused because the "series was weeks ago" :rolleyes:

I thought there was no White Sox Nation?

:churrosarmy:

IlliniSox4Life
11-17-2005, 03:20 AM

I still see tons of White Sox stuff on campus. More than Cubs and Cardinals even. Not too much more, but I think it is more (then again, maybe I only notice when its White Sox gear). It's usually after baseball season when I switch to Bears gear, but I'm wearing White Sox stuff at least untill the Bears make the post season. Even then it'll probably be at least a white sox t-shirt under my Bears jersey.

Trav
11-17-2005, 07:00 AM
After a Sox game in Baltimore a few years ago, in a White Castle, a guy asked the crowded little restaurant who owned the car parked outside with the Virginia issued "CHISOX" license plates. When I said it was mine, he said he lived in the Norfolk area and had tried to get those plates, only to find out they had already been issued. Was that you?

No that wasn't me but I did wonder how many Sox fans are in VA after trying almost every combo I could think of. I haven't seen any Sox plates yet but I know that there must be about a dozen out there.

Jurr
11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I thought there was no White Sox Nation?

:churrosarmy:
Don't worry. There isn't.

All's quiet in Memphis. Funny thing happened..the night the Sox won the series, me and a bunch of buddies were all out acting like hooligans on Beale St, each person decked out in one of my Sox jerseys. We actually taped plastic to the walls and and doused one another in champagne. One of the funniest things that happened was my friend Trey (who was totally blasted) was diving over bars and rails replaying the Uribe catch. Here's a link to the picture...
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3060/891/1600/DCFC0195.jpg

Since then, it's been quiet.

AZSoxFAN
11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Reviewing the threads, it occurs to me that Sox fans who live outside the Chicago metro area are having an experience that's a tad different from those who don't. I've already talked about my difficulty in obtaining Sox WS paraphenalia--including breakfast cereal, dammit!

I'm in Arizona. And soon the snowbirds--that's what we call our "winter visitors"--will start to arrive. In years past, I've seen far too many people wearing "Cubbie Blue." Be interesting to see how many of them will be sporting brand-new Sox WS gear.

So, what's going on in your neck of the woods? Anyone? Anyone?

Well, since I live 2 blocks from Chandler, I guess my experience is the same as yours. By the way, the best way to avoid contacting Cubbie blue snowbirds is to stay away from the swapmeets in east Mesa and the bar that used to belong to Stonie and Harry - or better yet, just stay out of Mesa altogether.:wink: There are quite a few ex southsider around, and I bet they get some black and silver Xmas gifts from "home."

asindc
11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
I went up to Atlantic City this past weekend and I wore my World Series Champions hat at the table when I played in a poker tournament. Lots of Yankess and Phillies fans as usual, and everyone who commented congratulated me. The Yanks fans in particular were rather gracious (who knew?).

At one point, on my right was a Yanks fan, then a Red Sox fan sat to my left. His parents are season ticket holders and he was really chatty. The Yanks fans gave him a hard time about our sweep, but he was a good sport about it. A little later, an Indians fan sat at the table! He just offered a quiet congrats. Soon after he sat down, though, I was knocked out of the tournament! I blame his karma!:smile:

I've worn my Sox cap in AC many times before, but I only recall one other instance when it became the topic of conversation at the poker table. It's good to be King.:cool:

MarySwiss
11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, since I live 2 blocks from Chandler, I guess my experience is the same as yours. By the way, the best way to avoid contacting Cubbie blue snowbirds is to stay away from the swapmeets in east Mesa and the bar that used to be long to Stonie and Harry - or better yet, just stay out of Mesa altogether.:wink: There are quite a few ex southsider around, and I bet they get some black and silver Xmas gifts from "home."

Never go near swap meets, and normally I wouldn't be caught dead in that bar. However, I do like to stir things up sometimes, so I just might pick a day during spring training, put on all my World Series Champions stuff, and drop over there, see what's going on. Maybe right after one of their home games, preferably one they've lost by a lopsided margin. That could be fun!

24thStFan
11-17-2005, 12:11 PM
I live in Tallahassee, which is about 30 miles from Cairo, Georgia, the hometown of Willie Harris. About two weeks ago, I learned that Cairo High School had a Willie Harris day, and Willie spoke at the pep rally and was the guest of honor in a parade. I was invited to attend, but couldn't make it because of a work-related meeting.:mad:

Other than that, I think I'm the only Sox fan in North Florida. I'm constantly wearing my Sox gear around town and I've gotten several positive comments from folks who see me. People here seem to appreciate the postseason dominance and the end of our 88 years of frustration.

HITMEN OF 77
11-17-2005, 01:20 PM
There was a contest to raise money for Hurricane victims and the Wazzu fans raised quite a bit more than the Husky fans....From the PI: COUGARS WIN! WSU fans donated more than $30,000 more than Huskies fans to the Space Needle's Hurricane Katrina relief effort, and as a result the Seattle landmark will be painted crimson and gray for Apple Cup weekend with the message "Go Cougars!"

Thanks for the info. Now if WAZZU can only win this weekend.

shaunburnette
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Here in the Bay Area I had to witness the Bulls put up a sorry performance vs. the Warriors on Monday. Glad that was my only chance to see them this year.

gowhitesox
11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
After searching all over finally found the book put out by the Chicago Tribune titled Believe It! San Antonio is pretty much all football, expect some on the south part of town where the AA San Antonio Missions play (Mariners farm club). So Sox merchandise is hard to come by down here.

MarySwiss
11-17-2005, 04:42 PM
After searching all over finally found the book put out by the Chicago Tribune titled Believe It! San Antonio is pretty much all football, expect some on the south part of town where the AA San Antonio Missions play (Mariners farm club). So Sox merchandise is hard to come by down here.

This made me wonder about spring training. Last year, the souvenir stands at TEP had almost nothing when I was there for the Cubs/Sox game. That may have something to do with the fact that they share the facility, including the souvenir stands, with the D'Backs, but I think I'll e-mail Brooks and suggest they stock up this year. Of course, he probably already thought of that! :cool:

TheKittle
11-17-2005, 04:57 PM
There's mostly crying by Angels fans here in the LA/OC area. I try to remind the crybabies that the AJ call wouldn't have won the game for the Angels. All it meant was the game was going to extra innings. Angels fans then start stuttering and changing the subject real quick after that.

As for championship stuff, until Grandstand starts doing mail order, I won't see much White Sox championship stuff.

Red Barchetta
11-17-2005, 08:56 PM
It figures the year I move from Chicago to Sarasota that the White Sox win the World Series. Anyway, I still managed to attend 10 games this year in Chicago (including Opening Day and3 playoff games) and all 3 in Tampa Bay so I definitely got my SOX fix for 2005. The Local cable HD broadcast for the playoffs also helped.

With the exception of the ALCS hat I bought at the Cell, it's been all MLB.com for merchandise. As to the Sarasota, south Florida area, it's ALL college football. That's OK as I like football, but man, it's crazy.

I received a few congratulations from co-workers who knew I was a SOX fan, however nothing near what the Chicagoans must have received.

I did run into another SOX fan at the local Home Depot (we were both wearing SOX hats) and we had a nice chat. He moved here about 20 years ago and has remained a loyal SOX fan. We congratulated each other on a great season.

flo-B-flo
11-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Saw a few Sox hats around. Mostly folk I knew were fans. Haven't seen too much Sox stuff. When the Sox swept boston, the local papers' headline was something like "Boston doesn't comeback this year". I haven't read the sports section since. There are some Sox fans in the South Bend TV media. And a couple guys from the local rag are Sox fans. I wondered where they were.

lbtigerfan
11-17-2005, 11:03 PM
All I hear down here is how the Sox are just lucky... of course, everyone down here is a big Astros fan (AND BIG CHUBS FANS). I bought a Sox license plate to go on the front of my car back in July and it's just now that people are noticing it. Everyone keeps telling me to take that crap off my car.. but I refuse to. I love being one of the only Sox fans in the state.. haha. I feel... unique. I find the only other Sox fans are people who used to live in Chicago. I

was certainly the ONLY person I know of that rooted for Chicago in the WS.

Well, my mom did:D:

CluelessJoe1919
11-18-2005, 12:36 AM
I meant to start this thread a while back and I'm glad to see a few other Arizona Sox fans out here...
I watched the final WS game at a sports bar called McDuffy's in Tempe, where just about everyone was a Sox fan and the tears and beers were flowing...
Later, I took my Sox jersey to a Famous Sam's in Chandler and let different musicians and fans at local performer Chuck E. Baby's open mic nite wear the Sox jersery for a minute or two...
Chuck, who is partly a comedian, added these words in parentheses during a rendition of John Cougar Mellenkamp's "Little Pink Houses": "...and there's winners (like the White Sox) and there's losers (like the Cubs)."
A few nites later, Chuck picked on his Cub-fan guitar player by the name of Billy by forcing him to pose for a picture with my Sox jersey and Sox cap. He later posted the picture on his website under the caption "Billy goes to the dark side."
Yes, we were rockin' in Arizona...

TheKittle
11-18-2005, 06:37 PM
It will be interesting to see next week when the Blackhawks play the Kings and Ducks, how many White Sox fans I'll see. I'm sure I'll get comments about the White Sox at the Pond.

MiamiSpartan
11-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Was up in Boca Raton for the opening of a new store and I ran into someone with a World champs cap. We talked for a bit....Still have not rec'd mine from mlb.com... :(

grizzbr
11-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Can't wait to get home to Chicago for the Holidays and see everything that's still going on.

Here in Minny, most of the Twins fans have congratulated me but state that next year it's their turn (stupid prediction indeed).

Next Friday the 25th, the family is coming up for Thanksgiving and the local VFW post is having a "Toast to the White Sox" night with signs etc. congratulating the Champs.

Should be interesting.

MHOUSE
11-19-2005, 04:00 PM
it sucks, plain and simple. i go home and everyone has celebrated and stuff. instead, i have the memories of watching the world series by myself on a couch in a living room of the house i live in by myself.

lame, at least i got to experience it though.

I know what you mean boiler. I go to school at Mizzou, deep in the heart of Cardinal country. I heard more cheers when Pujols hit that jack off Lidge in Game 5 than I did the entire week of the World Series (except from me). Aside from a few innings with the girlfriend, I watched most of the playoffs by myself as well.

As far as Sox merchandise, I saw a few White Sox hats and one sweatshirt since they beat the Red Sox. All of last school year I saw maybe two Sox caps around campus. Since the World Series, people have dug up some stuff, but my brand new White Sox cap with WS05 patch is the best in town. Last winter there was a large influx of Red Sawx hats, but they all blend in with the Cardinal red seen everywhere.

PKalltheway
11-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I just came from the massive Cincinnati Mills mall (the largest mall in Cincinnati) and I was able to get a World Series plaque of the 2005 White Sox. I was feeling more relief than joy in finding this because I had looked in all of the sports collectibles stores in that mall and what did I find? I found several bumper stickers of meaningless teams such as the Devil Rays, Tigers, and yes, even the defunct Montreal Expos, but no White Sox bumper stickers.:angry: I even saw a shelf of Houston Astros t-shirts, but nothing (and I mean nothing beyond generic hats you can get anywhere) White Sox. Then, as a last resort, I decided to look through all of the basball World Series Champion plaques they had there (a massive collection from about 1972 onward) and I lucked into finding this year's champions! Just when I thought I had lost all respect for the city of Cincinnati, they came through in the clutch.

ChiSoxLifer
11-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Very Little Sox Love in SoCal
I have met quite a few Bitter Angels fans who come right out with
"cheater" remarks, ...I reply with the Angels had NOTHING

on WS game 4 night, I was hoping to get somebody anybody over to
watch the game on my BIG Screen -no interest from anybody :(
so I celebrated alone, but I couldn't take it so I headed to Burbank
just for a little Sox Love, I got there an hour after the game and
found a few stragglers.

I work in a medical clinic and many of the patients know my White Sox
loyalty, So every day I get one or two congrats from the old folks
and that warms my heart. I also have 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS!
on the side door of my van, look for me in Tucson in Feb and March....
-Mikey:bandance:

My gf and I went to the Hooters in Burbank for game 5. There were maybe a handful of White Sox fans but we were definitely the loud ones. There's a restaurant called "Taste Chicago" on Verdugo and Hollywood Way that was packed with White Sox fans and the local news stations broadcast from there afte the games. I managed to get tickets to the ALCS game 5. Sounds kinda nerdy but it was one of the best experiences of my life thus far. I debated with a few Angels fans but they didn't have a leg to stand on. I basically pointed out they batted .200 and averaged 2 runs a game during the series. For the most part people are congratulatory about the World Series. I recently attended the Bulls/Lakers game and I saw hundreds of people with White Sox gear.

Tannerfan
11-25-2005, 08:34 PM
With all the troubles in Dodgerland, several baseball writers in the L.A. Times have been using the White Sox as an example of how to build a winning team. It's an awful lot of fun to see our guys being used as the gold standard of baseball!

WSoxFanForever
11-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Up here in rural Wisconsin I'm still wearing my Sox stuff and people are still puzzled. They don't care much for baseball in Wisconsin; it's all football. I had to go visit my family in Chicago to pick up some really good Sox apparrell and reading material. I had to call my family in Illinois to get anyone to talk to me about the Thome trade. Nobody up here even knows it happened.

HaroldBaines
11-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Here in the land of the Yankee/Red Sox fan (Rochester, NY), I get looks of sheer bewilderment with my Chisox bumper sticker and window decals. It simply hasn't registered that the White Sox have finally "grabbed the baseball brass ring".

Any talk of baseball invariably goes back to "well, whose gonna win it in 2006 - Yankees or Red Sox"?

Incredible. What arrogance. :(:

Oh well, I'm certainly enjoying this off season!!! Dream come true!!!:gulp:

WSoxFanForever
11-27-2005, 10:50 AM
This post above (Harold Baines) reminds me of what my brother said. He's been a W Sox Fan Lifer and moved to NJ. He teaches High School there. He said his students and peers have said to him, "Wow. I didn't know the White Sox HAD any fans." I asked if he was serious, and he said, "Yes, they tell me that all the time when I wear my White Sox stuff."