PDA

View Full Version : Delgado?

twsoxfan5
11-15-2005, 12:20 PM
-Per Bruce Levine on AM 1000
Silvy and Carmen asked him what his best hot stove nugget was and he said watch the White Sox and Delgado. he said reguardless if they re sign Konerko or not they still want a power left-handed bat. I know he is owed a lot of money of the next few years but could you imagine how great our line-up would be with him as DH. I personally love Frank but think he should be a last resort at DH. What do you guys think?

CHIsoxNation
11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
-Per Bruce Levine on AM 1000
Silvy and Carmen asked him what his best hot stove nugget was and he said watch the White Sox and Delgado. he said reguardless if they re sign Konerko or not they still want a power left-handed bat. I know he is owed a lot of money of the next few years but could you imagine how great our line-up would be with him as DH. I personally love Frank but think he should be a last resort at DH. What do you guys think?

I think Levine is an idiot.

But I would love for this to be true.

Domeshot17
11-15-2005, 12:24 PM
The problem is, when he was a FA, he would not consider a deal to DH, only to play the field. Makes me think 2 things, he either has the superstar personality we try to avoid, or he is a hitter than struggles when he doesnt play the field.
So the biggest hurdle is getting him and paulie to agree to split time between DH and First
If we could get him to agree to DH 3 times a week, play first twice, and maybe RF once, its ideal.

Figure we let Frank DH 3-4 times a week, and give paulie and dye a breather.

Madvora
11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Haven't the Sox been after Delgado for years? I thought he didn't want to come here.

samram
11-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Haven't the Sox been after Delgado for years? I thought he didn't want to come here.

Things change when the team wins the World Series with one of the most likeable managers in the game.:cool:

Tekijawa
11-15-2005, 12:35 PM
If we could get him to agree to DH 3 times a week, play first twice, and maybe RF once, its ideal.

I agree Lavine is an Idiot, but what has me more concerned are the people on this board who think players can play just about any position in the OF if they have stepped on a baseball field before... If he wants to play First good but RF shouldn't be an option, and Dye at first shouldn't be brought up either.

santo=dorf
11-15-2005, 12:37 PM
The problem is, when he was a FA, he would not consider a deal to DH, only to play the field. Makes me think 2 things, he either has the superstar personality we try to avoid, or he is a hitter than struggles when he doesnt play the field.
So the biggest hurdle is getting him and paulie to agree to split time between DH and First

Figure we let Frank DH 3-4 times a week, and give paulie and dye a breather.

Tough ****.

The Mariners are interested in making him their DH too. When he was in Toronto he had a no-trade clause, now he doesn't. The only thing I worry about is if he is unhappy after 2006, he could demand a trade.

Go get him Kenny.

samram
11-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I agree Lavine is an Idiot, but what has me more concerned are the people on this board who think players can play just about any position in the OF if they have stepped on a baseball field before... If he wants to play First good but RF shouldn't be an option, and Dye at first shouldn't be brought up either.

Right. There's a reason Delgado came up as a catcher and ended up at first- he's not a good defender. Still a hell of a hitter though.

CHIsoxNation
11-15-2005, 12:39 PM
... and Dye at first shouldn't be brought up either.

I would love it everyone started realizing this. Maybe Dye is a pretty good athlete, but he is a RIGHT FIELDER.

I'll stop myself now because I know there have already been tons of threads on this topic already. Bottomline - Dye will be starting in right field next year.

D. TODD
11-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree Lavine is an Idiot, but what has me more concerned are the people on this board who think players can play just about any position in the OF if they have stepped on a baseball field before... If he wants to play First good but RF shouldn't be an option, and Dye at first shouldn't be brought up either. I agree, but as a dh/1b he is as good as it gets. We will see, but if big Carlos does come to the southside I will be happy with or without Paulie. Paulie & Carlos I'll be ecstatic!

D. TODD
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Tough ****.

The Mariners are interested in making him their DH too. When he was in Toronto he had a no-trade clause, now he doesn't. The only thing I worry about is if he is unhappy after 2006, he could demand a trade.

Go get him Kenny. Tough**** won't work. He has a guaranteed contract and if he does not want to dh, you can force him, but that would be detrimental to the team. If it will be a problem you can't take on that type of money just to have a disgruntled star in the clubhouse.

nodiggity59
11-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Tough**** won't work. He has a guaranteed contract and if he does not want to dh, you can force him, but that would be detrimental to the team. If it will be a problem you can't take on that type of money just to have a disgruntled star in the clubhouse.

No, actually, tough **** is right. If you have the wherewithal to get Carlos Delgado, you do it and worry about the consequences later. That situation working out less than perfectly is much better than most options.

infohawk
11-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Acquiring Delgado would also fit into KW and Ozzie's philosophy that rosters should be flexible in that several guys should be able to play a couple of different positions. In Delgado's case, he could play first and DH. Assuming PK stays, we wouldn't need a back-up first baseman on the bench. Both PK and Delgado would be in the line-up producing on a daily basis. Not to mention that he is the power lefty bat we've been seeking. Blum's value was that he could play anywhere on the infield, including first base. Pablo and Willie would be the only back-up infielders we would need since they wouldn't have to play first. This also means no Ross Gload. I like Ross, but getting Delgado would free up a roster space that would go to either a guy like Blum or Gload.

TheOldRoman
11-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Once again, NO!
He didn't "not want to come here" specifically. In the middle of 2004, Kenny worked out a trade for Delgado, and he rejected it using his no trade clause. It was not that he didn't want to come to the Sox, but he said that he would veto any trade unless that team wanted to sign him to an extention. He didn't want to have to move his family for two months and then move them again in the offseason.

It doesn't necessarily mean any of that. From everything I have heard about Delgado, he doesn't have the superstar personality. He is a quiet man who doesnt seek attention. He is not a "me first" player.
Also, it doesnt mean that he hits worse when he isnt playing first. He wanted to play firstbase. He likes playing firstbase. He wanted to go to a team that would let him play firstbase. As a free agent, he had the right to do so. It isn't like a manager asked him to DH for the good of the team but he was too selfish. There is nothing wrong with him going to a team that wouldn't DH him. By your reasoning, we could say that any player that didnt sign with the Sox for whatever reason was selfish.

voodoochile
11-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Acquiring Delgado would also fit into KW and Ozzie's philosophy that rosters should be flexible in that several guys should be able to play a couple of different positions. In Delgado's case, he could play first and DH. Assuming PK stays, we wouldn't need a back-up first baseman on the bench. Both PK and Delgado would be in the line-up producing on a daily basis. Not to mention that he is the power lefty bat we've been seeking. Blum's value was that he could play anywhere on the infield, including first base. Pablo and Willie would be the only back-up infielders we would need since they wouldn't have to play first. This also means no Ross Gload. I like Ross, but getting Delgado would free up a roster space that would go to either a guy like Blum or Gload.

Well, by that definition, Steve Lyons can play 10 positions...:wink:

D. TODD
11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, by that definition, Steve Lyons can play 10 positions...:wink: I think Jose Oquendo may have a couple of good years left in him as well.:D:

oeo
11-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I would love it everyone started realizing this. Maybe Dye is a pretty good athlete, but he is a RIGHT FIELDER.

But he played an inning of SS as well this year, I think he'd be great at short! We can put Delgado in RF, and move JD to to SS, and keep Paulie at first. Everyone's happy!

infohawk
11-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Well, by that definition, Steve Lyons can play 10 positions...:wink:
Not only can he play 10 positions, but he could fill in during broadcasts if Hawk or DJ can't make it! We need to sign this guy!!!:tongue:

Domeshot17
11-15-2005, 03:03 PM

First- Completely agree with Dye not at first base.

Second- My point there was, There was a ton of teams, Mariners Marlins and several AL teams that tried to get Delgado and Sexson to buy into the idea of alternating between 1b DH and RF, Sexson has done all 3, and those teams believed Delgado could as well for whatever reason. I am assuming he wouldnt be as versatile as Texiera is, whos a standout at several positions, but if there was serious consideration by teams to try and get delgado to play half in the OF half at first, there must have been some reasoning behind it. So my thinking was if he could handle it out there once every 2-3 weeks, give Dye a Day off, then thats even better. Basically, Between Frank-Delgado-Paulie, You would like to find a way to get all of them in a game 4-6 times a week. So if Delgado can handle the OF, which some teams had suggested in the past, that may help the team just to get Dye some rest.

MadetoOrta
11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Please make this happen Kenny.

mdep524
11-15-2005, 03:18 PM
You people with your "Dye can't play 1B" rally cry. :rolleyes: Dye will play 1B in the majors before his career ends. Book it. It won't be this year, but if he wanted to and the Sox had that need (they won't) he could. Easily. (with some prep work in the offseason) End of story.

Jerome
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
:)

I would LOVE to get Delgado, I would rather have him than anyone else on the FA / trade market. A LH power bat was our number one need during the year. (hence the Griffey "trade") Put him at DH or first if Paulie leaves, how about a Frank/Delgado/Dye middle of the order? Or Paulie/Delgado/Dye?

Jerome
11-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Second- My point there was, There was a ton of teams, Mariners Marlins and several AL teams that tried to get Delgado and Sexson to buy into the idea of alternating between 1b DH and RF, Sexson has done all 3, and those teams believed Delgado could as well for whatever reason. I am assuming he wouldnt be as versatile as Texiera is, whos a standout at several positions, but if there was serious consideration by teams to try and get delgado to play half in the OF half at first, there must have been some reasoning behind it. So my thinking was if he could handle it out there once every 2-3 weeks, give Dye a Day off, then thats even better. Basically, Between Frank-Delgado-Paulie, You would like to find a way to get all of them in a game 4-6 times a week. So if Delgado can handle the OF, which some teams had suggested in the past, that may help the team just to get Dye some rest.

With those amazing bats in the lineup, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some D on occasion. Frank / Paulie / Delgado in the same lineup could not be stopped. (just not every day, I have a feeling the ERAs would climb up up up).

Foulke You
11-15-2005, 06:02 PM

I'll stop myself now because I know there have already been tons of threads on this topic already. Bottomline - Dye will be starting in right field next year.
Not only is Dye a right fielder, he is a pretty damn good one too. Why mess up a good thing? Our outfield defense was the best its been in years and a big part of our championship success.

Taliesinrk
11-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Can Paulie play 3B still? Otherwise I don't think it'd be possible to get Delgado/PK/ Big Hurt in the same line-up.. but I got really excited when I read it.. It's laughable to think that Delgado can play RF/OF.. no way..

Furthermore.. who would we give up for Delgado? Is money a big enough deal to Florida to give him up strictly for prospects?