PDA

View Full Version : Sosa & Palmeiro officially told thanks but no thanks

SouthSide_HitMen
11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5082368

Orioles won't bring back Sosa, Palmeiro

/ Associated Press
Posted: 9 hours ago

BALTIMORE - The Baltimore Orioles have officially announced that they will not be bringing back outfielder Sammy Sosa or first baseman Rafael Palmeiro.

Palmeiro and Sosa have indicated that they would like to return to baseball in 2006.

But the prospects of either re-joining the Orioles dwindled dramatically after both suffered through terrible seasons....

Sosa.. hit just .221 with 14 homers (his fewest since 1992) and 45 RBIs in 102 games....

Palmeiro, 41, continues to deny he intentionally took steroids, but he has no concrete proof as to why stanozolol was found in his system during a May drug test. Both players are now unrestricted free agents. Palmeiro is expected to attempt a comeback to help restore his reputation, and Sosa needs just 12 homers to reach the No. 600 milestone.

While I would love for both to be gone from MLB for good, I am sure a Tampa Bay or some other team will at minimum take a chance on Sosa be it for supposed gate purposes. The free agent market is so weak this year, I see Sosa and possibly Palmeiro get a spring training invite at worst and a 1 or 2 year guaranteed contract at best.

Madvora
11-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Double retire?

I'd say 99% that Palmiero is done and 75% that Sosa is done. I can't imagine anyone who would pick up Sosa though.

tebman
11-15-2005, 10:37 AM
I can't imagine anyone who would pick up Sosa though.

Oh, I do -- these guys (http://www.corkqc.com/cqfstat.htm) might be looking for a spokesman:

http://www.corkqc.com/corklg4.jpg

Baby Fisk
11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Sosa will be back somewhere, prolly with Tampa or dare I say the Black Jays.

NonetheLoaiza
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM

Yea, Sosa probably still thinks he could play. Plus, there are always teams looking for a low risk, high reward power bat in the lineup, so long as they aren't going to pay through the nose.

Palmeiro, I feel, is definitely done. I can't see anyone taking a chance on him at all because of the positive steroids test. Unless someone used 'Boo Rafael Palmeiro Day' as a promotion, I can't imagine a team getting much use out of him.

SOXPHILE
11-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Could be. Is Canadian law more lenient in regards to wife beaters ?

SoxSpeed22
11-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Konichiwa Sammy.
As for Palmeiro, "the heckler" did this a while ago and I find it hilarious...
http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4697/raffyweb0508025071xy.jpg
No MLB team will touch him after this year.

daveeym
11-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I liked the headline for the link supplied on Fark

Baltimore Orioles dump steroid tainted slugger. And Raphael Palmeiro too

cheeses_h_rice
11-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Knowing Sham-ME* and his Antarctica-sized ego, I predict he'll wind up in Japan next year, where he'll be greeted like a king.

Remember when people talked about Sham-ME* breaking Hank Aaron's HR record? Thank god that never came to pass.

Sox of White
11-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I actually hope Sosa stays in the bigs. He is so close to overtaking Reggie Jackson for most carreer strikeouts. You can do it Sammy, just believe.

Baby Fisk
11-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I actually hope Sosa stays in the bigs. He is so close to overtaking Reggie Jackson for most carreer strikeouts. You can do it Sammy, just believe.
Haha. Haven't seen the Sosa Whiff-o-Meter here in a long time. Can't remember who maintained that.

TheOldRoman
11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Knowing Sham-ME* and his Antarctica-sized ego, I predict he'll wind up in Japan next year, where he'll be greeted like a king.

Remember when people talked about Sham-ME* breaking Hank Aaron's HR record? Thank god that never came to pass.
I agree. I don't think Sosa will play in the majors again.
As we have said before, Sosa is the smartest of the steroid sluggers. He was the only one smart enough to stop pumping roids when testing started. Palmiero couldn't, and Bonds and Giambi switched to HGH. Sosa knew that he could play the "I am old and breaking down" card to describe his horrible numbers and shrinking body size after stopping steroid use. As much as I wish he would get caught, he never will.
I think Sosa will go to Japan and start pumping the roids again. In his press conference he will say "All I have done for American baseball, and they didn't take a chance on me this year. They will regret it, I am not done." He will go on to hit 40-50 homers with the roids in Japan, and the morons at ESPN will say "Sosa is unbelievable! All the GMs on MLB feel like morons now because he is back!"

antitwins13
11-15-2005, 01:08 PM
I bet he goes to KC.

Chips
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I bet he goes to KC.

Which one? And why?

RKMeibalane
11-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Palmeiro is finished.

Sosa will be back, but the question is, with whom? I agree that Tampa will try to go after him, as will the Royals. I can't see a National League team having any interest, because Sosa's ability to play the field is all but gone. It wouldn't surprise me if the Angels tried to sign him if they can't work something out to get Manny. Worst case scenario, Sosa is done and contributes nothing to team, and the Angels are no worse off than they were before signing him. Best case scenario, he rebounds and puts together a solid season, making Angels' management look like they got a steal.

Beyond that, I don't really care. Liars and cheaters have no place in baseball.

Paulwny
11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
This frees up quite a bit of money, O's will try to swing a trade for Delgado.

doublem23
11-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Haha. Haven't seen the Sosa Whiff-o-Meter here in a long time. Can't remember who maintained that.

That was me. Man, that was a while ago.

Anyways, I am sure some idiot GM will give Sosa a deal with some incentives in it. I would be shocked to see Palmeiro sign with anyone else.

antitwins13
11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Which one? And why?

Sosa because they were in the running for him last time he was a free agent, but were outbid by the Cubs. So, now that he is more afordable he would be a power bat to add to that line-up.

soxfanreggie
11-16-2005, 03:26 AM
I have a feeling we'll see both of them. If TB signs them, it'll just give me something to boo when I see the Sox play them. What Sox fan wouldn't want another chance to boo Sosa a few more times. Maybe this time he would actually play in Chicago...or he might sneeze or cough out his back before the game and suddenly not be able to play.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Sham-Me will DH next year. I wonder if the Twinkies are a possibilty? It's a hitters park.

Banix12
11-16-2005, 04:35 AM
I could see the Mariners as a dark horse to get Sosa, maybe put him at DH. They just hired his hitting guru, former cubs hitting coach Jeff Pentland, and may think it is worth the risk if the cost is small enough.

I think Fred McGriff makes a comeback before a major league team gives Palmeiro another chance. No good team wants him and no bad team can afford the PR hit.

Ol' No. 2
11-16-2005, 09:18 AM
This frees up quite a bit of money, O's will try to swing a trade for Delgado.Actually, it doesn't really free up much. Palmeiro was only making $3M and the Cubs were paying almost all of Sosa's salary. But they do need a 1B. I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard about them being interested in Konerko.

Paulwny
11-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Actually, it doesn't really free up much. Palmeiro was only making $3M and the Cubs were paying almost all of Sosa's salary. But they do need a 1B. I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard about them being interested in Konerko.

I haven't a clue how much the cub's ate. Sosa was earning $17 mil, the O's may be paying $7 mil of it. I don't know if the O's won their breech of contract against Ponson, if they did the total for these three could be > $18 mil.
I guess they may want a left hand bat, it is strange that they don't appear to be in the PK hunt.

Ol' No. 2
11-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I haven't a clue how much the cub's ate. Sosa was earning $17 mil, the O's may be paying $7 mil of it. I don't know if the O's won their breech of contract against Ponson, if they did the total for these three could be > $18 mil.
I guess they may want a left hand bat, it is strange that they don't appear to be in the PK hunt.It looks like the O's paid more than I thought for Sosa. From the BA announcement (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/050202sosa.html):

Sosa will make $17 million in salary this year, of which Chicago will pay $8.15 million. The Cubs also agreed to pay for a $3.5 million severance fee and a $4.5 million assignment bonus. Sosa agreed to give up an $18 million option for 2006 that was to automatically vest if he were traded, and the assignment bonus replaces the $4.5 million that would have been required to buy out that option.

Chips
11-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Sham-Me will DH next year. I wonder if the Twinkies are a possibilty? It's a hitters park.

I was talking to my grandpa about this the other day. I think Minnesota would be the best place for him.

PaulDrake
11-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Why would anyone want Sosa? He hit .221 with very little power last year. He's a shrunken shell of his former self without those flintstone vitamins. He's beyond washed up and it would be a waste of time and money for any team to take him on. No one will want Palmeiro after he tried to pin the rap on a teammate. At least that's what people think. Forget about both of these guys. It's over for them.

bobowhite
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Konichiwa Sammy.

I actually have heard there is some interest from Japanese teams this off-season. Possibly in the Pacific League for Sosa (DH used.)

pythons007
11-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Sosa will sign with a NY little league team (Almante, if anyone remembers that scandal) and show how many homers he can hit off of 12 year olds, metal bats, and 200 feet fields. Blare his salsa music in the dugouts get interviewed by Harold Reynolds.

Blancos Medias
11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
"Konichiwa Sammy"

My new favorite line. :D:

gowhitesox
11-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Someone will pick up Sammy Sosa, granted he is probably close to the end of the line, but he can still pop some out of the ball park. Would like to see him go to a National League team so he can haunt the flubbies. (Cubs)

gowhitesox
11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
I actually have heard there is some interest from Japanese teams this off-season. Possibly in the Pacific League for Sosa (DH used.)

Just read on the Baltimore Orioles website that Sosa has denied rumors about playing in Japan. He says he wants to get to the 600 mark in homeruns