PDA

View Full Version : Speed and more speed

bigredrudy
11-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Even during the 2005 season Ozzie mentioned that he wanted more speed. Now he has stated once again that he wants a team with more speed, most specifically in the second spot in the order. Ozzie has also said that he is going to attempt to use some of the players who were in the minor leagues last year.And he has commented that he likes Jerry Owens after having him watched him in Venezuela. I also believe that Joey Cora is managing the team that Owens is playing on. Owens is continuing to hit in Venezuela after a good season in AA ball. What does this mean? It could mean that Owens will be a factor next year. I can't imagine how that would work. Owens has a weak arm and is best suited for left field and that is where he played in AA and that is where he is playing in Venezuela. I don't think you would want an outfield with Pods in center and Owens in left or the reverse.They would have the speed but not the arms. The only thing I can think of is Owens would DH or play left field. This seems incredible but that is the only way something like this would work.

Chicken Dinner
11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
And your point is?????

caulfield12
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Even during the 2005 season Ozzie mentioned that he wanted more speed. Now he has stated once again that he wants a team with more speed, most specifically in the second spot in the order. Ozzie has also said that he is going to attempt to use some of the players who were in the minor leagues last year.And he has commented that he likes Jerry Owens after having him watched him in Venezuela. I also believe that Joey Cora is managing the team that Owens is playing on. Owens is continuing to hit in Venezuela after a good season in AA ball. What does this mean? It could mean that Owens will be a factor next year. I can't imagine how that would work. Owens has a weak arm and is best suited for left field and that is where he played in AA and that is where he is playing in Venezuela. I don't think you would want an outfield with Pods in center and Owens in left or the reverse.They would have the speed but not the arms. The only thing I can think of is Owens would DH or play left field. This seems incredible but that is the only way something like this would work.

Jerry Owens is a raw but athletic baseball prospect, now at age 25. He still has to have one more season of success in AAA before he gets a shot, probably a September call-up.

He could be a replacement for Pods when Scot gets expensive for us to retain, but that´s at least two years away.

He duplicates too much of what Pods does to make sense in our outfield...the Sox are still much higher on Chris Young and Anderson to be starters, with Sweeney potentially moving to 1B if he can hit for enough power.

I think the only place that we can really get more speed without sacrificing too much power is in CF. All the other ideals involving trading or benching starters (or DHing them) like Furcal for Uribe or bringing in another 2B, with Iguchi DHing.

Other than that, you´re not going to get more speed out of 3B with Crede there for at least 1 1-2 more years....so you have to look at CF and DH for improving the speed...Dye won´t be going anywhere either.