PDA

View Full Version : "Stab in the Dark" '06 roster anyone?

doctor30th
11-15-2005, 03:48 AM
I thought it would be funny to see what people come up with now for the '06 roster. Here's mine:

SP: Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland, McCarthy
RP: El Duque, Hermanson, Cotts, Jenks, Marte, Politte
Starters:
1b-Konerko (signs for 4 year 55 million with option for 5th)
C- AJ (signs 3 year Deal)
2nd Iguchi
3rd - Crede (signs 2 year deal)
SS- Uribe
CF- Rowand
RF-Dye
LF-Pods
DH- Erubiel Durazo (coming off of Tommy John, Signs 1 year 2.5 mil contract)

Bench: Ozuna (SS, 34d, LF), Widger (C), Harris (2nd, SS, CF), Timo (OF), Gload (1st, Rf, LF).

Vizcaino and Borchard will be traded and Willie might not be to far behind.

caulfield12
11-15-2005, 06:50 AM
El Duque...50-50
Marte...25% chance of return
Hermanson...good chance he will not retire
Konerko...I think those numbers are a little higher than the Sox will go to

Durazo...no
Timo...adios, not for $1 million
Harris...35% chance of return

Borchard will be one of many fighting for time at DH and as the 4th OF if we donīt sign anyone...he would not bring anything back in trade, so we have nothing to lose with bringing him to ST and giving him his final opportunity.

Deuce
11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Dude, what's the score?

Canadian_SoxFan
11-15-2005, 08:56 AM
SP- Buehrle, Contreras, McCarthy, Garland, Garcia

RP- Jenks (CL), Cotts, Politte, Vizcaino, Marte, Hermanson

C- Pierzynski
1B- Konerko (5 year 65 mil)
2B- Iguchi
3B- Crede
SS- Uribe
LF- Podsednik
CF- Rowand
RF- Dye
DH- Thomas

Bench- Ozuna, Widger, Borchard, Anderson, Gload

- Most of the money spent will be to lock up Garland, Crede and AJ, long term.

bobowhite
11-15-2005, 08:58 AM
My try:

RP: Hermanson, Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Eyre, Vizcaino
Starters:
1b-Konerko
C- AJ
2B Iguchi
3rd - Crede
SS- Uribe
CF- Pierre
RF-Dye
LF-Pods
DH- Anderson
Bench: Ozuna, Widger, Blum, Timo, Borchard.

Harris will leave. El Duque and Rowand will go in trades and Pierre will arrive in one. Eyre will sign FA (why not sign with the world champs?)

Chicken Dinner
11-15-2005, 09:04 AM
BORCHARD CAN"T HIT!!!!! He couldn't even make it in the mexican league last winter. NO BORCHARD!

Flight #24
11-15-2005, 09:38 AM
IMO

RP: Jenks, Hermanson, Cotts, Politte, Vizcaino, Eyre

IF: Konerko(1B) - Iguchi(2B) - Uribe(SS) - Crede(3B) - AJ(C)
OF: Podsednik(LF) - Rowand(CF) - Dye(RF)
DH: Thome (trade of prospect pitchers/Marte to get Thome down to $10M)

Bench: Blum(IF), Ozuna(IF), Anderson(OF), Borchard(OF), Widger(C)

Payroll: $88M

Unfortunately, while I'd love to get Giles, all signs point towards KW looking at Delgado/Thome/Helton and Giles being focused on STL. That combined with my guess that Thomas' injury will not have enough certainty around it by 12/7 make me think that it's unlikely they'll be able to keep him, unless possibly he's slow-healing enough that he waits it out until May and is willing to come back and share time with Thome/Konerko.

EDIT: If Levineline's right about the Sox & Delgado, then I could see Duque & Marte being moved or Duque/Marte/Rowand being moved for Delgado+cash. Same impact on Frank & Eyre, Anderson starts and they probably bring back Timo.

NorthSideSox72
11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
** = new, moved, promoted or off-DL player

SP: Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, McCarthy**
RP: Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Vizcaino, Scott Eyre**, Hernandez

C: Pierzinksi
1B: Konerko (not sure what deal, but I think they'll get him)
2B: Iguchi
SS: Uribe
3B: Crede
LF: Owens**
CF: Pods
RF: Dye
DH: Thomas** (or if not healthy, put Thome here)

Bench:
Gload** (1B, DH)
Ozuna (corner OF, 3B)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Widger (C)
Anderson** (all OF)

People who will leave and why:
Rowand (traded, probably, to make room for Owens, our speedy prospect who is tearing it up in winter league)
Marte (traded, most likely)
Hermanson (will opt for surgery on back)
Timo Perez (too pricey for underperforming back-up OF)
Everett, Blum (just no room for them)

Other notes:
Scott Eyre, or some lefty reliever, is I think the most likely player we get in the off-season outside our own system. BUT, if Frank is not healthy, that changes things, and we may pick up someone else for that spot. If he is healthy, then he gets spelled by Gload as needed. Likely Frank replacement: Jim Thome. Also, if Pauly leaves, then again, we need a replacement (Thome or maybe someone else). Owens will fill the need Oz has stated for a fast, #2 hitter. Pods move to CF, his old position. El Duque may also, possibly, get traded away.

caulfield12
11-15-2005, 11:56 AM
** = new, moved, promoted or off-DL player

SP: Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, McCarthy**
RP: Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Vizcaino, Scott Eyre**, Hernandez

C: Pierzinksi
1B: Konerko (not sure what deal, but I think they'll get him)
LF: Owens**
CF: Pods
DH: Thomas** (or if not healthy, put Thome here)

Bench:
Gload** (1B, DH)
Ozuna (corner OF, 3B)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Widger (C)
Anderson** (all OF)

People who will leave and why:
Rowand (traded, probably, to make room for Owens, our speedy prospect who is tearing it up in winter league)
Marte (traded, most likely)
Hermanson (will opt for surgery on back)
Timo Perez (too pricey for underperforming back-up OF)
Everett, Blum (just no room for them)

Other notes:
Scott Eyre, or some lefty reliever, is I think the most likely player we get in the off-season outside our own system. BUT, if Frank is not healthy, that changes things, and we may pick up someone else for that spot. If he is healthy, then he gets spelled by Gload as needed. Likely Frank replacement: Jim Thome. Also, if Pauly leaves, then again, we need a replacement (Thome or maybe someone else). Owens will fill the need Oz has stated for a fast, #2 hitter. Pods move to CF, his old position. El Duque may also, possibly, get traded away.

Owens isnīt ready yet. We canīt have Pods in CF, he gets bad jumps and takes incorrect routes and his arm is very suspect. Heīs above average for LF, but a definite minus in CF.

Owens cannot throw well enough to play CF either, and he is very inexperienced as a ballplayer, coming off his football background at UCLA.

I will put it this way...the organization choose to play Chris Young in CF in AA over Owens, and Young doesnīt have a great arm either.

I see Owens more as a 4th OF-bench player than a starter at the major league level...he would bring a little of the Willie Harris-Ozuna element, heīs versatile, can hopefully steal a base when pinch-running....bunt, LH, slaps the ball. Timo Perez with less experience but more potential to fit into small ball down the road.

CluelessJoe1919
11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
BORCHARD CAN"T HIT!!!!! He couldn't even make it in the mexican league last winter. NO BORCHARD!
Borchard looked like an entirely different hitter last year.
Just watch him this spring.

OzzieBall2005
11-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Starters: ($32.25)

Buehrle ($7.75M)
Contreras ($8M)
Garcia ($9M)
Garland (Arb.~$7.5)
McCarthy (?, not much to factor)

Bullpen: ($9.5M)
Jenks (?, couldn't find anything about the new guys)
Politte ($1.2M)
Cotts ($0.3M)
Vizcaino ($1M)
Hermanson ($3M)
Eyre ($4M)

Fielders: ($39M)
C: Pierzinski (Arb.~ $4.5)
1B: Degado ($13.5M)
2B: Iguchi ($2.4M)
3B: Crede (Arb.~ $3.5M)
SS: Uribe ($3.2M)
LF: Podsednik ($1.9M)
CF: Anderson (?, cheap; Rowand and El Duque go for Delgado)
RF: Dye ($5M)
DH: Thomas (filled w/ incentives~$5M)

Bench: ($1.8)

OF: Young (?)
C: Widger ($0.7M)
UTL: Ozuna ($0.3M)
1B: Gload ($0.3M)
INF: Speedy, LH, but not Willie Harris ($0.5M)

Team Salary: ($82.55M)

NorthSideSox72
11-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Starters: ($32.25)

Hermanson ($3M)

INF: Speedy, LH, but not Willie Harris ($0.5M)

Team Salary: ($82.55M)

I mostly agree, and even though I had Owens starting, I could easily see Anderson there instead, with Owens on the bench.

My two disagreements are above. First, good luck finding a speedy LH for .5M who can play both middle infield positions who ISN'T Harris. I think he really is the best option there, as he is speedier than Blum who he essentially replaces. Second, I think Hermy is having too many back problems, and won't be back. He'll either take the year to recover from surgery, or be traded, is my guess.

Chips
11-15-2005, 05:59 PM

:LTP "I believe I led the team with a .417 average"

JB98
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
:LTP "I believe I led the team with a .417 average"

No. Cliff Politte batted 1.000.

nodiggity59
11-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I WANT FRANK THOMAS ON THE 06 SOX!!! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

sorry for caps, had to say it :redneck

gr8mexico
11-15-2005, 10:24 PM
C: A.J
1B: Konerko
LF: Abreu (Trade Garland and a Minor league player)
CF: Rowand
DH: Podsednik
Starting Pitching Mark,Freddy,Jose,Washburn (4 year deal 28Million),Brandon
Bullpen stays about the same

ATXBMX
11-15-2005, 10:34 PM
no offense, but some of you need an economics lesson.

5 years, 65 million for Konerko? I don't think that will happen...

3.5 million for Crede? There's no way in hell that Crede gets a $3.1 million raise.

MyLifePeakedAt21
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM

If the White Sox deal Garland, a young strong right hander building to the prime of his career for the AGING highly overrated Mr. Abreu I honestly don't know what I'd do with myself....

gr8mexico
11-16-2005, 06:23 AM
If the White Sox deal Garland, a young strong right hander building to the prime of his career for the AGING highly overrated Mr. Abreu I honestly don't know what I'd do with myself.... Why is the guy overrated he knows how to get on base and steals bases.If Abreu came to the south side he would easily have a 30/30 season. I think if Washburn came to the South Side he would be awesome he would also be closer to home.

OEO Magglio
11-16-2005, 06:42 AM
Why is the guy overrated he knows how to get on base and steals bases.If Abreu came to the south side he would easily have a 30/30 season. I think if Washburn came to the South Side he would be awesome he would also be closer to home.
Washburn would get absolutely lit up here, he's an extreme fly ball pitcher. I agree on Abreu though, that being said I think it'd be dumb to trade any of our starting pitchers minus the Duke at all this offseason.

fquaye149
11-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Washburn would get absolutely lit up here, he's an extreme fly ball pitcher. I agree on Abreu though, that being said I think it'd be dumb to trade any of our starting pitchers minus the Duke at all this offseason.

Kind of like how Freddy got lit up here?

Pitching ability is far more important than "fly ball" or "ground ball" pitching being appropriate to park.

Washburn's a hell of a pitcher...but then again I see no real need to pursue him - I don't think he's much of an upgrade over any of our six starters (only over El Duque because of health).

OEO Magglio
11-16-2005, 07:21 AM

Pitching ability is far more important than "fly ball" or "ground ball" pitching being appropriate to park.

Washburn's a hell of a pitcher...but then again I see no real need to pursue him - I don't think he's much of an upgrade over any of our six starters (only over El Duque because of health).
I never thought Freddy would get lit up here and I agree that a lot of times that fly ball ground ball stuff won't always mean something. That being said Washburn has been pretty damn inconsistant throughout his career and he is a guy I'd see letting up a lot of homers here but who knows...that might not necessarily be true, that's obviously jmo.

Tragg
11-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Why is the guy overrated he knows how to get on base and steals bases.If Abreu came to the south side he would easily have a 30/30 season. I think if Washburn came to the South Side he would be awesome he would also be closer to home. He's hit 30 twice in 8 tries, and at that only 30 and 31; 24 last year. I doubt he's good for 30. Still a very good player, but signficantly overpaid (16 mill or so he's owed?).
If we eat that salary we should NOT have to pay Garland-level talent - this should be a Carlos Lee type of trade where we get the talent edge.

caulfield12
11-16-2005, 08:06 AM

The Phillies would only trade for Garland if they knew they could sign him long-term, like the Garcia deal for us. Thatīs a big assumption, especially since we all assume Garland would be on the Left Coast if he didnīt stay in Chitown. Abreu would be a good acquisition for the Sox...but I donīt see the wisdom of trading a younger Garland for a pitcher that we would pay the same amount in Washburn. Washburn is very similar to Buehrle, and Garland, at this point in his career, has the much higher upside over the next 3-5 seasons than Washburn.

caulfield12
11-16-2005, 08:10 AM

I do think that Garcia has slipped a little from where he was 3-4 seasons ago...heīs been extended 200 plus innings in almost every season of his career, and has lost 2-4 MPH off his fastball.

He has learned to pitch as a result, though, and his slider has improved to compensate for the loss in velocity. OTOH, he is not quite the dominant 1-2 type of starter many envisioned...more of a 3 on this staff. Thatīs fine, maybe our expectations were unrealistic. He has hung tough in the games we needed, like the Boston-El Duque game that he left in th 6th with a 5-4 lead.

I think the smaller park has definitely caused his ERA to balloon into the high 3īs as opposed to the low to mid 3īs.

ChiSoxIn06
11-16-2005, 08:17 AM
C-AJ
1B-Konerko
2B- Iguchi
SS-Uribe
3B-Crede
LF-Pods
CF-Griffey
RF-Dye
DH Thomas

SP-Buerhle,Garcia,Garland,Jose,McCarthy
RP- Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, Jenks, Vizciano, BJ Ryan

Bench
Widger, Anderson, Ozuna, Harris (sigh), Gload

caulfield12
11-16-2005, 08:31 AM
C-AJ
1B-Konerko
2B- Iguchi
SS-Uribe
3B-Crede
LF-Pods
CF-Griffey
RF-Dye
DH Thomas

SP-Buerhle,Garcia,Garland,Jose,McCarthy
RP- Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, Jenks, Vizciano, BJ Ryan

Bench
Widger, Anderson, Ozuna, Harris (sigh), Gload

Who, besides Rowand obviously, or Marte, are you going to trade to the Reds to get Griffey? Do you really think he can play CF everyday...as most see him DHing at least half-time?

ChiSoxIn06
11-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Who, besides Rowand obviously, or Marte, are you going to trade to the Reds to get Griffey? Do you really think he can play CF everyday...as most see him DHing at least half-time?

They could swing El Duque, marte, rowand or a top prospect to the reds for girffey...im sure if the sox took some of the salary from the reds im sure they could make something work. and as far as him no playing everyday...you could DH him a few times a week to give Frank a day or two off....and then use anderson or one of the up and coming prospects in CF...it COULD work but it PROBABLY wont.

santo=dorf
11-16-2005, 06:53 PM
They could swing El Duque, marte, rowand or a top prospect to the reds for girffey...im sure if the sox took some of the salary from the reds im sure they could make something work. and as far as him no playing everyday...you could DH him a few times a week to give Frank a day or two off....and then use anderson or one of the up and coming prospects in CF...it COULD work but it PROBABLY wont.
The Reds wouldn't need Rowand if they were to trade Griffey. They have Dunn, Kearns, and Pena

fquaye149
11-16-2005, 06:56 PM
I do think that Garcia has slipped a little from where he was 3-4 seasons ago...heīs been extended 200 plus innings in almost every season of his career, and has lost 2-4 MPH off his fastball.

He has learned to pitch as a result, though, and his slider has improved to compensate for the loss in velocity. OTOH, he is not quite the dominant 1-2 type of starter many envisioned...more of a 3 on this staff. Thatīs fine, maybe our expectations were unrealistic. He has hung tough in the games we needed, like the Boston-El Duque game that he left in th 6th with a 5-4 lead.

I think the smaller park has definitely caused his ERA to balloon into the high 3īs as opposed to the low to mid 3īs.

Exactly - the point being that pitching in a hitter's park WILL make a pitcher's numbers worse BUT if that pitcher is a good pitcher (like Freddy and Washburn) they shoudl still be effective.

As in, you sign the best pitchers you can. If all other things are equal you go after the pitcher who best suits your park. But if you have a chance to sign a Washburn, you take it.

santo=dorf
11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Exactly - the point being that pitching in a hitter's park WILL make a pitcher's numbers worse BUT if that pitcher is a good pitcher (like Freddy and Washburn) they shoudl still be effective.

Will you please quit lumping Freddy and Jarrod together? Freddy's career GO/AO is 1.26 whereas Washburn's is a pathetic .590.

bobowhite
11-18-2005, 09:34 AM
My try:

RP: Hermanson, Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Eyre, Vizcaino
Starters:
1b-Konerko
C- AJ
2B Iguchi
3rd - Crede
SS- Uribe
CF- Pierre
RF-Dye
LF-Pods
DH- Anderson
Bench: Ozuna, Widger, Blum, Timo, Borchard.

Harris will leave. El Duque and Rowand will go in trades and Pierre will arrive in one. Eyre will sign FA (why not sign with the world champs?)

Okay, well, I've already blown two here, Eyre signed with the Cubs and Blum is back in San Diego. I still think El Duque and Rowand will be traded, that Borchard will get more playing time although Anderson will be a regular. Crede and AJ will get their arbitration or more likely, long-term deals. If the Sox acquire an outfielder it will be a Pierre type guy. I think Konerko will re-sign, probably four years, upper 50s possible fifth year options.

I seriously doubt the White Sox will go after anybody in the Abreu/ Thome region unless Konerko signs elsewhere. I think Frank will be back with an incentive laden contract.

Optipessimism
11-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I'd really like to see KW try to sign Octavio Dotel to an incentive laden deal if he's cheap enough. Supposedly he won't be ready to pitch until around the AS break or so, but he could always go down to AAA to get back into things. If he can come back he could be a great boost to us out of the bullpen down the stretch, especially if our starters falter a bit like last year.

munchman33
11-18-2005, 07:39 PM
RP: Vizcaino, Hermanson, Cotts, Jenks, Marte, Politte
Starters:
1b- Thome
C- AJ
2nd Iguchi
3rd - Crede
SS- Uribe
CF- Anderson
RF-Dye
LF-Pods
DH- Thomas

Bench: Ozuna (SS, 34d, LF), Widger (C), Harris (2nd, SS, CF), Borchard (OF, DH), Gload (1st, RF, LF, DH)

Hagan
11-18-2005, 10:47 PM
1st- Konerko (5 years 66 million bucks)
2nd- Iguichi
SS- Uribe
3rd-Crede
RF-Dye
Cf-Anderson
LF-Scotty P
DH ?? I think they could go for durazo, thome, or piazza (durazo would be the cheapest)

buehrle garcia Jose Garland mccarthy
the bullpen is the same adding el duque in if we cant trade him. I also think rowand will be traded.

CanBuehrleWait
11-19-2005, 12:46 AM
DH ?? I think they could go for durazo, thome, or piazza (durazo would be the cheapest)

DH- Erubiel Durazo (coming off of Tommy John, Signs 1 year 2.5 mil contract)

No more of this Durazo talk... please:mad: I'd honestly rather put Anderson at DH and keep Rowand thus offering more versatlity from that position. But other then that I wouldn't be upset with any of these lineups really. That's what makes this site great.