PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Blum

doctor30th
11-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Anyone Think he's coming back? if not what about Greg Norton from Charlotte, you know a little blast from the past. He's a switch hitter, has some pop, He can play third and first. I mean would he be all that bad, he put up some solid numbers in AAA last year.

mike squires
11-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Blum won't be back....and Norton's best days are behind him. Wait, Norton didn't have any good days.

I saw Greg warm up a pitcher in Spring Training without any gear on in 2000. Took one off his shin. He was hurting. I saw Manuel shaking his head as if to say..."what the hell were you thinking?"

Banix12
11-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Blum won't be back....and Norton's best days are behind him. Wait, Norton didn't have any good days.

I saw Greg warm up a pitcher in Spring Training without any gear on in 2000. Took one off his shin. He was hurting. I saw Manuel shaking his head as if to say..."what the hell were you thinking?"

He was probably thinking "you know, it would be funny except he takes 'em off his shin at 3rd base every single day..."

Blum can at least play multiple defensive positions, Norton can't play any. Blum might be back, i'd say a 20% chance. Ozuna really took to 3rd base during Crede's injury and probably makes blum expendable.

Anyway, I believe Norton is actually no longer with the White Sox Organization. From what I can gather from websites he seems to have been invited to to come to spring training with the Rockies for 2006. He was only with the sox on a 1 year minor league contract anyway.

bobwsx
11-15-2005, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't re-sign Blum until he combs his hair!!:?:

zmz723
11-15-2005, 07:38 AM
dont bring up norton!!! i was at the game he made 3 errors

cbone
11-15-2005, 07:59 AM
I'd rather see this Norton at third!

http://wyolife.com/KerryFest/carney2.jpg

veeter
11-15-2005, 08:07 AM
I think we got the most anyone will ever get out of Blum. A game winning homerun in the world series. He's o.k. but I'd rather make space for a youngster.

bobowhite
11-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Ozuna really took to 3rd base during Crede's injury and probably makes blum expendable..

Are you insane? Ozuna butchered several bad-hop balls into doubles that anybody belonging at third would have at least knocked down and should have thrown the guy out on. Without Blum, the Sox have no back up third baseman.

He'll be back.

veeter
11-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Are you insane? Ozuna butchered several bad-hop balls into doubles that anybody belonging at third would have at least knocked down and should have thrown the guy out on. Without Blum, the Sox have no back up third baseman.

He'll be back. Actually this is incorrect. When Crede missed some time with his back, Ozuna filled in and did butcher some balls. Then they threw Blum in there and he sucked. I remember a horrible game in Texas. But when Joe broke his finger, Pablo was given a second chance and played flawless. Not to mention his energy he brings. Pablo is Kenny and Ozzie's guy. 100% Ozuna stays.

jackbrohamer
11-15-2005, 09:24 AM

To be fair, Norton had a few good days though not many. He hit 2 HR off of Randy Johnson in one game when Johnson was still in Seattle. Then he was player of the week once, when he had a big series at Detroit.

But you're right, other that there wasn't much.

NorthSideSox72
11-15-2005, 10:02 AM
I predict our bench will look like this:

Gload (1B, DH)
Ozuna (3B, corner OF)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Anderson (all OF)
Widger (C)

We lose Timo, who is overpriced for a backup, and Blum. This group covers all positions at least once, and in some cases twice.

CHIsoxNation
11-15-2005, 10:53 AM

Gload (1B, DH)
Ozuna (3B, corner OF)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Anderson (all OF)
Widger (C)

We lose Timo, who is overpriced for a backup, and Blum. This group covers all positions at least once, and in some cases twice.

I would have to agree with you there. That looks pretty accurate.

Dick Allen
11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Just for what he did in Game 3, I would keep Blum around, just as a reminder.:redneck

hold2dibber
11-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Gload (1B, DH)
Ozuna (3B, corner OF)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Anderson (all OF)
Widger (C)

I think there's a decent chance Borchard is on the bench as well. IIRC, if he's not on the 25 man roster, he becomes a free agent. So if they can't trade him, they may decide to keep him in a bench role, probably at Gload's expense.

antitwins13
11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
No Blum. Get somebody better.

NorthSideSox72
11-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I think there's a decent chance Borchard is on the bench as well. IIRC, if he's not on the 25 man roster, he becomes a free agent. So if they can't trade him, they may decide to keep him in a bench role, probably at Gload's expense.

Just clarifying, the protected roster is 40, I believe. Gload is on that, at this point, but I don't know if Borchard is or not. I think the deadline for finalizing the 40 man roster for waiver protection is December 7th. Who is on the roster at that point will say a lot about KW's thinking.

Banix12
11-15-2005, 03:40 PM

He'll be back.

Veeter is correct. Early in the season Ozuna had problems at 3rd, during the end of the season when Crede was out with the broken finger Ozuna seemed to get his footwork straightened out and played a very good 3rd base. Blum on the other hand looked very sloppy when he was filling in. 2nd base is probably the only position where Blum has an upper hand over Ozuna.

Chips
11-15-2005, 05:30 PM

Gload (1B, DH)
Ozuna (3B, corner OF)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Anderson (all OF)
Widger (C)

That is music to my ears.

nodiggity59
11-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Veeter is correct. Early in the season Ozuna had problems at 3rd, during the end of the season when Crede was out with the broken finger Ozuna seemed to get his footwork straightened out and played a very good 3rd base. Blum on the other hand looked very sloppy when he was filling in. 2nd base is probably the only position where Blum has an upper hand over Ozuna.

I agree. The OF bench is set w/ Anderson covering all 3 OF and Pablo and Willie as emergencies in center and left. The IF is set w/ Ozuna and Harris (given Pablo's improvement at 3rd. Anyone else think LTP should get a shot next year?

ATXBMX
11-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Just clarifying, the protected roster is 40, I believe. Gload is on that, at this point, but I don't know if Borchard is or not. I think the deadline for finalizing the 40 man roster for waiver protection is December 7th. Who is on the roster at that point will say a lot about KW's thinking.

It doesn't matter if Borchard is on the roster or not, he's out of minor league options. He's either on the 25 man roster on opening day for the Sox or he isn't.

To send him down to AAA, you HAVE to designate for assignment. Another team would surely pick him up for free before he clears waivers. There's a possibility that he won't accept his minor league assignment, and he would become an unrestricted free agent.

Or we could just trade him...

Tragg
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM

Gload (1B, DH)
Ozuna (3B, corner OF)
Harris (2B, SS, CF)
Anderson (all OF)
Widger (C)

Need a proven bat on that bench.

Banix12
11-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Anyone else think LTP should get a shot next year?

I think he should get a shot to earn a roster spot in spring training. I would put no guarantees on him making the squad though. I don't care if he is out of minor league options, you start out the season with your best 25 guys and if he isn't one of them then goodbye and and I wish him good luck with whatever team picks him up.

NorthSideSox72
11-15-2005, 06:27 PM

That's why there is only one rookie on it (anderson), one player with two years of very limited time (Gload), one very solid backup as proven last year (Ozuna), and two guys who have both started and played off the bench successfully for a number of years (Widger, Harris).

Banix12
11-15-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't know about "need" a proven bat. Something very similar to that bench fared ok last season. It would be nice to get a proven bat for sure. However most proven bench bats belong to defensively deficient players. Usually if you have a player with a decent bat and a good glove he can find a starting job somewhere. Frankly, I think defensive versatility is more important on a bench, particularly in the american league where you don't need to pinch hit as often.

However yes, a proven bat on that bench would certainly be a nice bonus.