PDA

View Full Version : Cubs close to aquiring Pierre?

cbrownson13
11-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Per rotoworld.com

ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for a pair of minor leaguers.
No Corey Patterson? We hope the Cubs wouldn't give up Felix Pie for one year of Pierre. Parting with pitching prospects, say Rich Hill along with Sean Marshall or Renyel Pinto, would be preferable.

Possibly the two most prolific basestealers in one city...

antitwins13
11-14-2005, 08:28 PM
He'd be a good fit. They need a lead off hitter, but I think they'll try to go for Damon first.

JUribe1989
11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
As much as I hate the Cubs (and believe me I do), getting Pierre for some minor leaguers would be an ABSOLUTE STEAL. Pierre is a great player who started to turn it around last year after an awful start. We have seen how good he is. Pie could just be the next Borchard. This would be a great move for the Cubs.

bigfoot
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
As much as I hate the Cubs (and believe me I do), getting Pierre for some minor leaguers would be an ABSOLUTE STEAL. Pierre is a great player who started to turn it around last year after an awful start. We have seen how good he is. Pie could just be the next Borchard. This would be a great move for the Cubs.

A "great move" for the Cubs would be to Rockford!:bandance:

It's Time
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Pie the wonder kid? Hendry usually fleeces teams so I doubt he gives Pie for Pierre. I thought I read Furcal was going to sign a deal this week as well.

JUribe1989
11-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Hey-oooo!!!!!!!
:D:
Zing!

MUsoxfan
11-14-2005, 08:39 PM
As much as I hate the Cubs (and believe me I do), getting Pierre for some minor leaguers would be an ABSOLUTE STEAL.

That's the strange thing about the Cubs. Other teams seem to want them to win because they consistently accept crap in return for good players

veeter
11-14-2005, 08:40 PM
The Marlins love to supply the cubs with good players and get nothing in return. First Clement (although Dontrelle Willis turned out great), then Derrick Lee for Hee Sop Choi. Pierre only makes about 3.5 mil. so the Marlins must think they'll lose him to free agency after '06. Of course the cubs are trading prospects, nobody with a brain would take Patterson. I have to think the cubs will try to sign him to an extention if they get him. Hopefully he opts to test the market and leaves. Pierre's stats are very impressive. Although funny(bad) things happen to players when they put on the cubbie blue.

It's Time
11-14-2005, 08:41 PM
That's the strange thing about the Cubs. Other teams seem to want them to win because they consistently accept crap in return for good players

If the Marlins get Pie, who I think is only 20 years old, the Marlins fleece the Cubs on this one. Pierre is good but he is 28 and is going to command a big raise. By all accounts, Pie is the next coming of christ.

It's Time
11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Although funny(bad) things happen to players when they put on the cubbie blue.

The ONLY exception being Derrek Lee. Clement for Willis:)

MUsoxfan
11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
If the Marlins get Pie, who I think is only 20 years old, the Marlins fleece the Cubs on this one. Pierre is good but he is 28 and is going to command a big raise. By all accounts, Pie is the next coming of christ.

No they don't. JUribe1989 made an excellent point in that Pie is no more than a prospect the same as Borchard used to be. Pierre is proven. A proven veteran that will probably ignite a team in exchange for unproven prospects is a steal

It's Time
11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
No they don't. JUribe1989 made an excellent point in that Pie is no more than a prospect the same as Borchard used to be. Pierre is proven. A proven veteran that will probably ignite a team in exchange for unproven prospects is a steal

I need a report on this Pie kid. Iv'e heard he is a great prospect. Anyone have anything?

jabrch
11-14-2005, 08:52 PM
I need a report on this Pie kid. Iv'e heard he is a great prospect. Anyone have anything?

He reminds me of what Patterson was for them at his age. A fast kid, with good power, and a lack of discipline. Doesn't walk, strikes out too much, has a lot to learn about hitting. The Cubs will either rush him up, or try and force him into being a leadoff hitter and will ruin him - just my guess.

antitwins13
11-14-2005, 08:53 PM
He reminds me of what Patterson was for them at his age. A fast kid, with good power, and a lack of discipline. Doesn't walk, strikes out too much, has a lot to learn about hitting. The Cubs will either rush him up, or try and force him into being a leadoff hitter and will ruin him - just my guess.

Good guess.

It's Time
11-14-2005, 08:54 PM

That's not saying very much if he is the next Patterson. Like I said, from what I have heard of him, he is supposed to be an "A" prospect. I googled him and found this.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/content.cfm?content_type=article&content_type_id=9523

veeter
11-14-2005, 08:57 PM
I need a report on this Pie kid. Iv'e heard he is a great prospect. Anyone have anything? I wouldn't trust a cub prospect ever. Look at Patterson. Look at Wood, Gary Scott, Choi, Ty Griffin... the list goes on and on. Most organizations tout their guys, but the cubs are ridiculous. So if you need a report on Pie, the cubs will tell you he's the greatest ever. Reality, I'm sure, will tell a different story. I heard about Patterson for about four years. Meanwhile the Sox were developing Maggs, CLee, Crede, Rowand. The cubs farm system is the most overhyped in baseball.

It's Time
11-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't trust a cub prospect ever. Look at Patterson. Look at Wood, Gary Scott, Choi, Ty Griffin... the list goes on and on. Most organizations tout their guys, but the cubs are ridiculous. So if you need a report on Pie, the cubs will tell you he's the greatest ever. Reality, I'm sure, will tell a different story. I heard about Patterson for about four years. Meanwhile the Sox were developing Maggs, CLee, Crede, Rowand. The cubs farm system is the most overhyped in baseball.

Agreed.

veeter
11-14-2005, 09:08 PM
And another thing, Jim hendry owes his very existence to the freakin Marlins. Talk about a vulture. He just waits for their guys contracts to be up, calls and says "I'll take that salary off your hands." The Marlins are a very strange organization.

GoSox2K3
11-14-2005, 09:08 PM

I don't get it either. They got their 2 best players (Lee and Ramirez) for overhyped prospects.

Did they give up anyone worthwhile to get all-star Nomar? Of course, Nomar has been worthless since donning the Cubbie-blue, so I'm not complaining there.

It's Time
11-14-2005, 09:09 PM
And another thing, Jim hendry owes his very existence to the freakin Marlins. Talk about a vulture. He just waits for their guys contracts to be up, calls and says "I'll take that salary off your hands." The Marlins are a very strange organization.

Actually, he owes his existence to the Pirates.>>>>>>>>>>>Lofton and Ramirez in 2003 for sunflower seeds.

SoxSpeed22
11-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Agreed.And naturally, most of the prospects that leave the Cubs do good for other teams.
:jon
Thanks!:thumbsup:

NardiWasHere
11-14-2005, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't trust a cub prospect ever. Look at Patterson. Look at Wood, Gary Scott, Choi, Ty Griffin... the list goes on and on. Most organizations tout their guys, but the cubs are ridiculous. So if you need a report on Pie, the cubs will tell you he's the greatest ever. Reality, I'm sure, will tell a different story. I heard about Patterson for about four years. Meanwhile the Sox were developing Maggs, CLee, Crede, Rowand. The cubs farm system is the most overhyped in baseball.

Couldn't you also put a list together of all the bad Sox Prospects the past 5 years? Wright, Rauch, Leifer, Wells, Olivo... the list goes on. But then again... besides Prior and Zambrano, do they have any impact homegrown talent on their roster?

HotelWhiteSox
11-14-2005, 09:31 PM
I heard this this morning. They can get Pierre for minor leaguers? ***? Looks like those pictures are coming in handy for Hendry again. Why would Florida make it that easy, especially after their demands for Burnett? Then again, it is Bruce Levine...

VA_GoGoSox
11-14-2005, 10:17 PM

It really is bizarre, isn't it? I find it very hard to believe that the Marlins can't get more than a couple prospects for a career .305 hitter that will steal 50 bases a year.

In my opinion, this would be a GREAT pickup for the chubbies.

Brian26
11-14-2005, 10:29 PM
My first reaction is that this is Hendry's desperate attempt to copy KW's winning formula.

Brian26
11-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't trust a cub prospect ever. Look at Patterson. Look at Wood, Gary Scott, Choi, Ty Griffin... the list goes on and on.

Brooks Kieschniek, Earl Cunningham, Hill, .....

It's Time
11-14-2005, 10:41 PM
My first reaction is that this is Hendry's desperate attempt to copy KW's winning formula.

I think Hendry now realizes how important Lofton was in 2003. He was an idiot to leave the leadoff spot vacant last year. While it may be possible he is copying KW, I think he knew all along he needed a leadoff hitter.

He got burned last year and he knows it.

Iwritecode
11-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Uh... no.

We've already had the "Cubbies". :puking:

We don't need them again.

Jjav829
11-14-2005, 10:50 PM

Huh? How is trying to trade for a legitimate leadoff hitter a "desperate attempt to copy KW's winning formula?"

Jjav829
11-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I heard this this morning. They can get Pierre for minor leaguers? ***? Looks like those pictures are coming in handy for Hendry again. Why would Florida make it that easy, especially after their demands for Burnett? Then again, it is Bruce Levine...

It depends on who the minor leaguers are. We could get Pierre for minor leaguers too, assuming those minor leaguers were named Brian Anderson or Chris Young. If Hendry is trading away crap for Pierre, that's one thing. But if he trades away Pie or someone like Rich Hill, that's a different story.

Tragg
11-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Typical Cub move. Not as good as last year's duo of Hollingsworth/Burnitz to replace the production of Sosa/Alou, but tidy nonetheless. I like it.

samram
11-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Huh? How is trying to trade for a legitimate leadoff hitter a "desperate attempt to copy KW's winning formula?"

Didn't you hear? KW is the only GM in baseball who has any plan for success. These other guys don't know what they're doing.

As for this possible trade, is Pie healthy yet? Didn't he have an ankle problem that kept him in the minors all season in 2005?

JUribe1989
11-14-2005, 11:22 PM
So are the Marlins gonna look a little something like this?
2B Castillo
C Lo Duca
LF Cabrera
RF Hermida
3B Lowell
1B Conine
CF Encarnacion/Aguila
SS Gonzalez

Assuming the Pierre trade goes through and the Marlins dump salary by getting rid of Delgado. Looking kinda flat.

Banix12
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
The Marlins love to supply the cubs with good players and get nothing in return. First Clement (although Dontrelle Willis turned out great), then Derrick Lee for Hee Sop Choi. Pierre only makes about 3.5 mil. so the Marlins must think they'll lose him to free agency after '06. Of course the cubs are trading prospects, nobody with a brain would take Patterson. I have to think the cubs will try to sign him to an extention if they get him. Hopefully he opts to test the market and leaves. Pierre's stats are very impressive. Although funny(bad) things happen to players when they put on the cubbie blue.
I don't know, the cubs got clement but Heredia and Alfonseca were never too great for the cubs.

Any trade right now is good for the cubs they have a lot of prospects down there just wasting away, blocked at the major league level.

I'm not totally sold on Pie, he seems like he is still a couple of years away, even though the cubs are trying to rush him up to the majors. If the Marlins can grab Rich Hill in all this then I think it is a steal. He didn't fare too well in his callup last season but his curveball is pretty amazing.

But of course this is Bruce Levine. I think this is his first major prediction of the offseason, someone should keep track of these predictions.

Mr. White Sox
11-14-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't get it either. They got their 2 best players (Lee and Ramirez) for overhyped prospects.

Did they give up anyone worthwhile to get all-star Nomar? Of course, Nomar has been worthless since donning the Cubbie-blue, so I'm not complaining there.

I believe they gave up Bobby Hill for Mr. Garciaparra, but I could be wrong. I'm probably wrong.

samram
11-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I believe they gave up Bobby Hill for Mr. Garciaparra, but I could be wrong. I'm probably wrong.

They got Ramirez and Lofton for Hill. I don't know who they gave up for Nomar.

HotelWhiteSox
11-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I think Hendry now realizes how important Lofton was in 2003. He was an idiot to leave the leadoff spot vacant last year. While it may be possible he is copying KW, I think he knew all along he needed a leadoff hitter.

He got burned last year and he knows it.

To me, the pitching staff is the most important thing, but if you want to be serious about contending, you also need a leadoff hitter and a closer. Balancing the lineup doesn't hurt either.

Yes, last year was a horrible offseason for him, but KW got most of the criticism for a while and he went unscaved. All of his focus was on Sosa, when his real needs were leadoff hitter and closer, and he doesn't even get Julio or one of the relievers from Baltimore.

Tragg
11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Lots of consternation re a player, Pierre, who can neither field nor hit very well. The dude was benched last year- there is a reason that the Marlins have been trying to dump him.
A Derrick Lee, he ain't.

samram
11-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Lots of consternation re a player, Pierre, who can neither field nor hit very well. The dude was benched last year- there is a reason that the Marlins have been trying to dump him.
A Derrick Lee, he ain't.

The Marlins dumped Derrick Lee too. Pierre didn't have a great season last year, but he wasn't "benched"- he played in every game. He did get moved to 7th in the order for a few weeks, but he still managed to steal 57 bases and drive in 47 runs and score 96. In other words, he was close to as good as Pods was (admittedly his OBP was bad last year, but historically he's around .355). He's a good player.

Flight #24
11-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Francis Beltran, Brendan Harris, & Justin Jones for Garciaparra & Matt Murton. Which ended up being a steal for the Cubs since Murton looks like a solid prospect.

Banix12
11-15-2005, 12:20 AM
To me, the pitching staff is the most important thing, but if you want to be serious about contending, you also need a leadoff hitter and a closer. Balancing the lineup doesn't hurt either.

Yes, last year was a horrible offseason for him, but KW got most of the criticism for a while and he went unscaved. All of his focus was on Sosa, when his real needs were leadoff hitter and closer, and he doesn't even get Julio or one of the relievers from Baltimore.

I just remember last year when there were all these rumors about where sosa is going to go. I remember rumors about going to the Mets for Cliff Floyd, to the Nationals for a couple of players, and ultimately he ended up trading him and enough money to pay for his entire contract for a utility player whose natural position is second base, a minor league 2nd baseman, and a minor league pitcher who retired right after he became a cub.

I think that just proves no team wanted to touch sosa with a ten foot pole. I don't think Hendry could have ever gotten Julio or any other quality reliever for Sosa. Hendry offered Sosa and 17 million dollars and 2 second basemen and a reliever who retired was the sadly the best he could get.

He should have tried to grab a reliever while he could on the FA market but knowing he was going to pay Sosa's salary I don't think he could.

santo=dorf
11-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Francis Beltran, Brendan Harris, & Justin Jones for Garciaparra & Matt Murton. Which ended up being a steal for the Cubs since Murton looks like a solid prospect.

You forgot the chump who played a big role in the game 6 NLCS collapse, Steve Bartman, I mean Alex Gonzalez.

I wouldn't call it a "steal" because Nomar has barely played for the Cubs and has cost the Cubs $8.25 million last year, and he didn't take the Cubs to the 2004 World Series like that blabber-mouth George Ofman said he would. Harris is also playing well with the Nationals too.

elrod
11-15-2005, 12:22 AM
They got Ramirez and Lofton for Hill. I don't know who they gave up for Nomar.

They gave up Francis Beltran and Brendan Harris. Both went to the Expos/Nationals.

Banix12
11-15-2005, 12:28 AM
So are the Marlins gonna look a little something like this?
2B Castillo
C Lo Duca
LF Cabrera
RF Hermida
3B Lowell
1B Conine
CF Encarnacion/Aguila
SS Gonzalez

Assuming the Pierre trade goes through and the Marlins dump salary by getting rid of Delgado. Looking kinda flat.

Remember, they are trying to dump Lowell as well, they really want to move Cabrera back to 3rd base.

DrCrawdad
11-15-2005, 12:37 AM

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
IT'S SO GREAT TO BE BACK ON THE CUBBIE BEAT, OFF THE SOX! Oh, I'm so excited about the '06 Cubbies! Here's some insider info for you, I soiled myself while writing my next VineLine column.

It's Time
11-15-2005, 12:40 AM
All I know is this: Jim Hendry is going to try and steal every player that is available for peanuts this off season:rolleyes: . The media focus on the Cubs and himself will be so intense that he had better win or he will be looking for another job.

The Cubs owe the White Sox a thank you because I actually think they will now TRY and win. Maybe try is not the right word. More like be smarter in the moves they make. I actually respect Hendry, it's too bad he works for an organization as awful as the Trib.

It's Time
11-15-2005, 12:45 AM
IT'S SO GREAT TO BE BACK ON THE CUBBIE BEAT, OFF THE SOX! Oh, I'm so excited about the '06 Cubbies! Here's some insider info for you, I soiled myself while writing my next VineLine column.

HAHA! More like this:

"Rafael Furcal will be a Cub before the winter meetings. A.J. Burnett will sign with the Cubs, too. Expect me to write a big article in vineline about the fastest 1 and 2 hitters in baseball in Pierre and Furcal."

Jjav829
11-15-2005, 08:55 AM
A Derrick Lee, he ain't.

The Marlins are shopping him because of his salary. Period. Pierre was never benched; He was dropped in the lineup because he was having a bad year, the worst of his career to be accurate. Pierre is a good player and if the Cubs get him he will the best leadoff hitter in Chicago.

veeter
11-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree, although you never know about the intangibles i.e. attitude, clubhouse stuff. But heck the guy is also a world champ just like Scotty. I don't care who the cubs get, they continue to ignore their real problem: a completely over rated pitching staff. But good news for them Carrie chose not to bowl yesterday and Mr. perfect bowled with his left arm. Prior is the biggest P****.

Hitmen77
11-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Couldn't you also put a list together of all the bad Sox Prospects the past 5 years? Wright, Rauch, Leifer, Wells, Olivo... the list goes on. But then again... besides Prior and Zambrano, do they have any impact homegrown talent on their roster?

I wouldn't exactly count Prior as a Cubs farm system product. Their "strategy" for getting him was to lose 97 games the year before to assure that they got the #2 overall draft pick. He was a no-brainer #1 pick, but the Twinkies passed on him because the wouldn't/couldn't pay him a huge signing bonus.

Madvora
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Last night I heard that the Cubs are working on a trade to bring Juan Pierre to the Northside. They said this on and ESPN1000 update at about 5:00.
Did anyone else hear this? Is this true?

- EDIT - Whoops, missed this in What's The Score? (please delete)

cbrownson13
11-16-2005, 01:48 PM
It appears this trade may be dead...

A source familiar with the talks told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the Cubs and Marlins are "not very far down the road" on a Juan Pierre deal.
If the Marlins have no interest in Corey Patterson and Felix Pie isn't open for discussion, the Cubs don't really seem like a fit. Something could happen, but the two sides clearly aren't as close to an agreement as Monday's ESPN radio report indicated

per rotoworld.com

ilsox7
11-16-2005, 01:55 PM

A source familiar with the talks told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the Cubs and Marlins are "not very far down the road" on a Juan Pierre deal.
If the Marlins have no interest in Corey Patterson and Felix Pie isn't open for discussion, the Cubs don't really seem like a fit. Something could happen, but the two sides clearly aren't as close to an agreement as Monday's ESPN radio report indicated

per rotoworld.com

ESPN wrong? Shocking.

samram
11-16-2005, 01:58 PM

per rotoworld.com

Well, I heard a Marlins beat writer on the Score yesterday and he said that Damon needs to be signed first to set the market. Even though Damon's a free agent and Pierre is on the block, the field of potential suitors has to be more well-defined before the Marlins deal Pierre.

It's Time
11-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I didn't think Hendry would trade Pie and it looks like I was right. From a Cubs standpoint, if Pie is ready to take over this year, it made no sense to trade him for Pierre.

If the Cubs get Pierre for Patterson and a minor leaguer, then I would guess Pie would move to LF, with Murton going to right.

MadetoOrta
11-16-2005, 02:28 PM

Beat me to it. Didn't they acquire Ramirez from Pittsburgh for a bag of balls and a thrid-tier A player to be named later? Geesh. Thought the same thing.

Banix12
11-16-2005, 04:13 PM
ESPN was wrong. The Bruce Levine offseason predictometer stands at 0 for 1.

Jjav829
11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
ESPN was wrong. The Bruce Levine offseason predictometer stands at 0 for 1.

FWIW, Levine called into Carmen and Silvy on Tuesday morning and claimed that he never told the update guys that a deal was close. Levine says he simply reported that the Cubs are interested in Pierre, though at that point they hadn't talked with the Marlins in 3 days.

gr8mexico
11-19-2005, 01:37 PM
It sounds like the White Sox are the one closer to getting Juan. rotoworld.com

oeo
11-19-2005, 01:56 PM
The Cubs owe the White Sox a thank you because I actually think they will now TRY and win. Maybe try is not the right word. More like be smarter in the moves they make. I actually respect Hendry, it's too bad he works for an organization as awful as the Trib.

I don't care who they have on their team, they are not "trying" to win until they lose Dusty. He's absolutely terrible, they're not going to win with the guy.

ChiSoxPatF
11-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Typical overblown Cub trade rumor. Every year for every free agent or trade prospect, the media goes nuts over "how close" the Cubs are to getting them. I think it was the Cub-Times that had a list of the top 10 players on the move this year and they had the Cubs listed as a possible suitor for 9 outta 10 (the only one they didn't have the Cubs landing was Konerko).

KRS1
11-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Per rotoworld

WSCR 670 in Chicago is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for three prospects.
One would be left-hander Renyel Pinto. According to the report, center fielder Felix Pie wouldn't be involved. Another expendable reliever probably would be. Roberto Novoa or Jermaine Van Buren could help the Marlins.

I have to think if Pie isnt going theyll be asking for Murton.

It's Time
11-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Per rotoworld

WSCR 670 in Chicago is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for three prospects.
One would be left-hander Renyel Pinto. According to the report, center fielder Felix Pie wouldn't be involved. Another expendable reliever probably would be. Roberto Novoa or Jermaine Van Buren could help the Marlins.

I have to think if Pie isnt going theyll be asking for Murton.

Yeah, I posted this in an another thread. IMO, Murton is a good number two hitter for the Cubs and Hendry wouldn't be dumb enough to deal him for Pierre.

The Cubs will steal Pierre like they stole Ramirez:rolleyes: .

DaleJRFan
11-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Juan Pierre To Cubs Complete

670 The Score in Chicago (http://www.670thescore.com/) and RotoWorld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6550) are reporting that the Cubs have finalized their deal for center fielder Juan Pierre. Left-handed starter Renyel Pinto and two other unknown prospects will head to the Marlins in the deal.

The trade was originally reported by Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio 1000 on November 14th (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/11/juan_pierre_to_.html). After speaking with Bruce, MLBTradeRumors.com was able to narrow the possible prospects down to a list of five pitchers (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/11/juan_pierre_to__1.html).

If more than one rumor site is reporting it, it's gotta be true!