PDA

View Full Version : Latest Espn Magazien/kenny Williams Point

kruzer31
11-14-2005, 03:38 AM
Picked up the latest Espn today at Jewel to read about the Cover Story on steroids and was pleased to find an article on Jose Contreras and El Duque. After reading the article you really get a sense of how much those two guys mean to each other and how the White Sox really are a great family and how well they all got along together from Ozzie on down. The article really gives credit to the White Sox organization for putting Jose in an environment he could thrive in.
This made me want to voice an opinion to the voters on the GM of the year. How is Kenny Williams not hands down the pick this year. He should have gotten every vote and won it unanimously. I am not saying Shapiro isnt good but look at what KW did that no other GM in my lifetime has done. A couple of these points go back to last year but in my mind were HUGE factors for this year. Real quick, Kenny took a chance on Ozzie being the manager, traded for Contreras, brought his buddy El Duque in when every other GM thought he was washed up not only to pitch but to aid Contreras with social matters. He traded Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik, let Maggs go, took a chance on A.J. when everyone else thought he was a cancer. He stuck with Crede and Rowand when fans complained and brought in one of the biggest bargains of the year in Jermain Dye. He found gold in Hermanson and found platinum in Jenks and just a couple seasons ago robbed Billy Arrogent Bean of Neil Cotts. He also locked up a rock solid Freddy G and handled every situation from Frank Thomas to fans demands of obtaining Griffey with dignity and pure Baseball knowledge. Feel free to point out some things Ive missed but in my opinion KW not winning GM of the year is the biggest farce in baseball these past few years. But hey, that huge rock on his ring finger next year will look a lot better then a GM of the Year plaque on his office wall any day of the week.

Our Sox are the CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD, put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Voters.

Kruze

IlliniSox4Life
11-14-2005, 04:02 AM
Haven't seen the article, but I definately agree that a lot of Kenny's moves seemed brilliant not just because of the skill of the guys he got, but how he managed to put them in an environment where they would be happy. Contreras/El Duque is one of those, along with getting a spanish speaking manager. I think Ozzie being able to relate to a lot of the hispanic players helped greatly too. Also, I don't really know if any thoght was put into when he released Shingo earlier, but I thought that move was coming for a while, and it seemed like he only kept him around because Iguchi was new and maybe wanted to give him more time to adjust to the big leagues while having another Japanese player around (just a thought though, no basis on fact whatsoever). Either way, Iguchi adjusted very well to the majors, and I do remember reading early in spring training that Shingo had helped him some.

I definately think youre preaching to the choir though. We all agree Kenny is a genious.

gr8mexico
11-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Another great move was sending down Ben Davis and letting Chris Widger start the season.Chris Widger came up huge during the season.

ssirish317
11-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Another great move was sending down Ben Davis and letting Chris Widger start the season.Chris Widger came up huge during the season.

That was a great move...Especially considering that they had already signed Davis to a Million dollar contract. (That was one of the only off-season moves by KW that I absolutly hated) They ignored the #'s that were going to be on these guys paychecks and kept the guy who could add more value to the team. I knew we made the right move after Widger's go-ahead HR off Zito in Oakland early on in the season. Then again, almost anybody would be better than Davis and his career .230 avg. What were they thinking signing him to a million dollar deal? He would be overpaid even if he were making the league minimum.

DaleJRFan
11-14-2005, 11:10 AM
That was a great move...Especially considering that they had already signed Davis to a Million dollar contract. (That was one of the only off-season moves by KW that I absolutly hated) They ignored the #'s that were going to be on these guys paychecks and kept the guy who could add more value to the team. I knew we made the right move after Widger's go-ahead HR off Zito in Oakland early on in the season. Then again, almost anybody would be better than Davis and his career .230 avg. What were they thinking signing him to a million dollar deal? He would be overpaid even if he were making the league minimum.

At the point in time that the Sox had signed Ben Davis to that contract, they had NO idea that they would be signing AJ or that Widger would prove to be a solid backup. KW had no choice but to, at the time and considering the circumstances, sign the catcher whom he thought would be the starter on opening day.

I wasn't so upset with KW giving Ben Davis that contract. I was just more upset that they seemingly made Ben Davis higher on the depth chart than Jamie Burke. Burke, up to the emergence of Widger in ST, was the logical choice as far as catchers went... to me anyway.

But, who really cares? The Sox won the world series largely because of the way AJ called the games all season and in the post season. I don't recall off the top of my mind EVER seeing a pitcher shake off AJ (with the exception of El Duque in game 3 vs Boston).

Remind me again why are we even talking about Ben Davis??? :redneck

TDog
11-14-2005, 11:39 AM
This made me want to voice an opinion to the voters on the GM of the year. How is Kenny Williams not hands down the pick this year. He should have gotten every vote and won it unanimously. ....

Maybe this is covered elsewhere, but the answer should be obvious. GMs were voting for exec of the year at a time when people were doubting the Sox would make the postseason. Many were hoping the Sox would not. people though of Kenny Williams as that "Moneyball" idiot. If the vote had been taken at the end of the season, Kenny Williams probably would have won, despite making other GMs' jobs more difficult.

By winning with a $75 million payroll, Kenny Williams was making other GMs look bad. It's hard to lobby for more money to work with when someone is more successful with less.

Iwritecode
11-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Maybe this is covered elsewhere, but the answer should be obvious. GMs were voting for exec of the year at a time when people were doubting the Sox would make the postseason. Many were hoping the Sox would not. people though of Kenny Williams as that "Moneyball" idiot. If the vote had been taken at the end of the season, Kenny Williams probably would have won, despite making other GMs' jobs more difficult.

By winning with a $75 million payroll, Kenny Williams was making other GMs look bad. It's hard to lobby for more money to work with when someone is more successful with less.

They vote for exec of the year before the year is even over?

Geez, that makes perfect sense. I can't wait until they start voting cy young winners and batting champs at the AS break...

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Don't forget about Kevin Walker (how does a pitcher named Walker get a job in the bigs? I could see a name like striker....but walker?) for a half million.

CPditka
11-14-2005, 02:04 PM
remember when widger almost pitched a game?

SouthSoxFan
11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
They vote for exec of the year before the year is even over?
Mid-september was the vote.

JermaineDye05
11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Pablo Ozuna, Geoff Blum, so many great moves

beckett21
11-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I definately think youre preaching to the choir though. We all agree Kenny is a genious.

I can tell you're still new around here. :redneck

caulfield12
11-15-2005, 08:03 AM
This made me want to voice an opinion to the voters on the GM of the year. How is Kenny Williams not hands down the pick this year. He should have gotten every vote and won it unanimously. I am not saying Shapiro isnt good but look at what KW did that no other GM in my lifetime has done. A couple of these points go back to last year but in my mind were HUGE factors for this year. Real quick, Kenny took a chance on Ozzie being the manager, traded for Contreras, brought his buddy El Duque in when every other GM thought he was washed up not only to pitch but to aid Contreras with social matters. He traded Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik, let Maggs go, took a chance on A.J. when everyone else thought he was a cancer. He stuck with Crede and Rowand when fans complained and brought in one of the biggest bargains of the year in Jermain Dye. He found gold in Hermanson and found platinum in Jenks and just a couple seasons ago robbed Billy Arrogent Bean of Neil Cotts. He also locked up a rock solid Freddy G and handled every situation from Frank Thomas to fans demands of obtaining Griffey with dignity and pure Baseball knowledge. Feel free to point out some things Ive missed but in my opinion KW not winning GM of the year is the biggest farce in baseball these past few years. But hey, that huge rock on his ring finger next year will look a lot better then a GM of the Year plaque on his office wall any day of the week.

Kruze

The only reason for this vote was that most of the ballots went in during mid to late September. KW would have won had the voting been done by after the final weekend of the season...but many voters probably assumed the White Sox were going to continue their swoon and be overtaken.

oeo
11-15-2005, 08:18 AM
remember when widger almost pitched a game?

Yeah, that was like the second or third game of the year. Something like that, I remember Ozzie ran out of pitchers and Widger was warming up.