PDA

View Full Version : How are Cub fans treating you these days?

SoxFanLarry
11-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Just wanted to know how Cub fans are treating you two weeks later? Amazingly enough, they still want to attack me...now saying..."too bad you can't re-sign Paulie."

Needless to say, my reply is "World Series Champs...go away".

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-12-2005, 09:22 PM
what's the score?

ChiSoxIn06
11-12-2005, 09:28 PM
cub fans? what are cubs? oh you mean that other chicago team...the one that goes by the lovable losers...any of those fans give me any lip all i have to say is..."that's no way to talk to your defending champs"

pinwheels3530
11-12-2005, 09:42 PM
They are very jealous!!

RadioheadRocks
11-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Green with envy... just like I like 'em!!!

vegyrex
11-12-2005, 09:54 PM
So far cub fans I've met have been polite, and respectful. In a few cases when they grumbled it was about the cubs. :D:

TornLabrum
11-12-2005, 10:33 PM
I had a pretty funny encounter with a Cubs fan today, all good humored.

I was at the local state emissions testing center. I was waiting for the first part of the test to be completed when the gal in charge of the next lane over comes by pointing at my World Series game cap and my World Series Championship hoodie. She says to the guy doing my test, "Look at that." And then she says to me, "He's a very angry and bitter Cubs fan."

I mustered as much sympathy in my voice as I could and said, "That's too bad."

He waited for a moment and then said, "Oh, you've already failed your test." Then we all started laughing.

This kind of follows the theory that I presented in this week's Fallen Arches column. The obnoxious Cubs fans are the Yuppie/fratboy types.

(And my car did pass.)

pinwheels3530
11-12-2005, 10:51 PM
At work all the Cub fans try to make sarcastic comments, while trying to act like they don't care. I could really tell they are not use to being the second team.

skobabe8
11-12-2005, 11:34 PM
NON-EX-IS-TENT clap-clap clap-clap-clap!

LongLiveFisk
11-12-2005, 11:45 PM
They all got a lot quieter. I just saw a sales rep yesterday that I hadn't seen in the office since Game 3 of the ALCS. Earlier that day he told me the Sox would get swept in Anaheim.

Can't blame him for staying the hell away for a while. That foot in the mouth couldn't have tasted too good! :D:

JermaineDye05
11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
so far all cub fans have said congratz to me but one had the nerve to say the day after the white sox cheated, said JD shouldn't have gone to first, I go what was he supposed to do he's just like he shoulda told the truth I said JD said after the game the ball hit the bat but the umpire said it hit him and to go to first so what else was he sposed to do god I hate those types of fans that can't even fess up

Tragg
11-13-2005, 12:28 AM
The Cub fan schtik that I read seems to be along these lines: "I would be happy for the Sox if they weren't so Cubs obsessed - they seem to relish besting us more than winning the title, so it's hard to root for them."

Translation: projection - they project their feelings onto the Sox.. They are incensed that we won the WS, but it would hurt their lovable image to admit it, so they, as always, make everything about them and come up with another reason to criticize us.

SOXSINCE'70
11-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Did anyone catch the Sports section of the Cub-Une today??
Before I used it to line my garbage can,I noticed a sCrUBS fan
in the "letters" column who asked the paper if they could
kindly write an article about "America's Team":rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :whiner: .
I kid you not.

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-13-2005, 12:41 AM
even if they do win it next year, which is the equivalent of me spontaneously combusting, we still beat them

mpshans
11-13-2005, 12:47 AM

I was at the local state emissions testing center. I was waiting for the first part of the test to be completed when the gal in charge of the next lane over comes by pointing at my World Series game cap and my World Series Championship hoodie. She says to the guy doing my test, "Look at that." And then she says to me, "He's a very angry and bitter Cubs fan."

He waited for a moment and then said, "Oh, you've already failed your test." Then we all started laughing.

This kind of follows the theory that I presented in this week's Fallen Arches column. The obnoxious Cubs fans are the Yuppie/fratboy types.

(And my car did pass.)

Hal, the emissions tester must have been a Sox fan impersonating a Cubs fan, because only Sox fans would have the lowly job of an emissions tester.

itsnotrequired
11-13-2005, 12:59 AM
kindly write an article about "America's Team":rolleyes: :rolleyes: :whiner: .
I kid you not.

I saw that as well. Double "eye-roll"? Seems like TRIPLE is in order.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RadioheadRocks
11-13-2005, 01:04 AM
kindly write an article about "America's Team":rolleyes: :rolleyes: :whiner: .
I kid you not.

They want the Trib to do an article on the Atlanta Braves??? Or the Dallas Cowboys??? :dunno:

SOXSINCE'70
11-13-2005, 01:08 AM
I saw that as well. Double "eye-roll"? Seems like TRIPLE is in order.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's been corrected.Thanks.

SOXSINCE'70
11-13-2005, 01:10 AM
They want the Trib to do an article on the Atlanta Braves??? Or the Dallas Cowboys??? :dunno:

Those are excellent choices.I know the Cowboys are "America's Team"
in football.When did the Braves get this title??

RadioheadRocks
11-13-2005, 01:15 AM

This was mainly in the late 80s and most of the 90s, with TBS being a Super Station (akin to WGN); having decent teams during this period also made using that term seem ok.

nccwsfan
11-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Just wanted to know how Cub fans are treating you two weeks later?

My Cub friends are still veeeeery humble and very quiet, as they should be.

bigfoot
11-13-2005, 09:14 AM

(And my car did pass.)

Any word on the "emissions test" on the Urinal?

TornLabrum
11-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Any word on the "emissions test" on the Urinal?

The excessive quantities of superheated air being emitted from The Shrine stopped almost completely late in the evening of October 26.

DumpJerry
11-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Sometimes I've had to remind myself who won the World Series this year. I've been told by several of the Lemmings that the Sox had a "miraculous" season which cannot be repeated because, with the exception of Buehrle, everyone played way above their abilities.:?: The scary thing is that the people who tell me this have no connection with each other, so either the Flub community is telling this to themselves to get the word out or great minds think alike.

I had one guy tell me that the Sox were lucky because they play in a weak division. He also told me that the Indians will probably win it all next year:?: (do you see a pattern in the icon usage yet?). I pointed out that the AL Central produced 3 teams that finished over .500 (60% of the division).

When I remind them that "we swept the World Series," I am told "those were close games.":?:

I'm told that the Sox were lucky because we did not have .300 hitters. My response is that we have a team that hits in a timely manner and does what it takes to win. The response? "They're lucky.":?: I point out that our pitching and defense are tops in MLB. The response? "They're lucky and played above their skills.":?:

Flub fans are telling me we have "no chance" of repeating because we (here they go again) "got lucky.":?:

Then they mention attendance. I ask them "what is more important: being the most popular kid in school or winning the World Series?" That is when the slither away to get another Old Style.....

TornLabrum
11-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Sometimes I've had to remind myself who won the World Series this year. I've been told by several of the Lemmings that the Sox had a "miraculous" season which cannot be repeated because, with the exception of Buehrle, everyone played way above their abilities.:?: The scary thing is that the people who tell me this have no connection with each other, so either the Flub community is telling this to themselves to get the word out or great minds think alike.

I had one guy tell me that the Sox were lucky because they play in a weak division. He also told me that the Indians will probably win it all next year:?: (do you see a pattern in the icon usage yet?). I pointed out that the AL Central produced 3 teams that finished over .500 (60% of the division).

When I remind them that "we swept the World Series," I am told "those were close games.":?:

I'm told that the Sox were lucky because we did not have .300 hitters. My response is that we have a team that hits in a timely manner and does what it takes to win. The response? "They're lucky.":?: I point out that our pitching and defense are tops in MLB. The response? "They're lucky and played above their skills.":?:

Flub fans are telling me we have "no chance" of repeating because we (here they go again) "got lucky.":?:

Then they mention attendance. I ask them "what is more important: being the most popular kid in school or winning the World Series?" That is when the slither away to get another Old Style.....

Two comments:

1) They accuse the Sox of getting lucky by winning 99 games, but before the last two postseason appearances by the Cubs, they couldn't manage to win 90. Sounds like the Cubs were the ones who got lucky.

2) Cubs fans are like the crowd at school that thrived on popularity. They are now plodding along through their miserable lives while Sox fans are like the nerds who got the full ride scholarship and are now making the big bucks.

itsnotrequired
11-13-2005, 11:19 AM

I hear the tired "everyone had a career year" excuse all the time. Have these bozos even watched the games? The only guys who had career years were Buehrle, Garland, Politte, Cotts and possibly Hermanson (although he was in a new role). None of the hitters had anything close to a career year. In fact, many of the hitters performed WORSE than they have over the last couple years.

"played above their abilities" excuse = :rolleyes:

cubhater
11-13-2005, 11:37 AM
My Cub neighbor hardly comes outside anymore since the WS. I bumped into him last night and all he talked about was his connection for Blackhawk tickets.:rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
11-13-2005, 11:44 AM
My Cub neighbor hardly comes outside anymore since the WS. I bumped into him last night and all he talked about was his connection for Blackhawk tickets.:rolleyes:

I would have said, "Enough about the Blackhawks, how about those White Sox?" :wink:

cubhater
11-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I would have said, "Enough about the Blackhawks, how about those White Sox?" :wink:

I tried going that route but my words go in one ear and get lost in the cobwebs before going out the other.

It's a lost cause dicussing baseball with him. He's stuck in his Cublusional world where he has excuses for anything that goes wrong for the Cubs and right for the Sox.

DumpJerry
11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
That reminds me of another reaction. I moved to a new office on Sept. 1. Turns out the other lawyers in my suite are die-hard Flub fans. Since the day we clinched the playoffs, some of them have been unable to look me in the eye. They look at their shoes when I walk by. The secretaries, however, are all Sox fans. The secretaries all think it is hilarious how the lawyers are treating me.:D:

gowhitesox
11-13-2005, 12:49 PM
My Cub friends are still veeeeery humble and very quiet, as they should be.

The Cubs are probably thinking of more ways to lose. Since that is what they do best.

2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX!!

LongLiveFisk
11-13-2005, 12:50 PM
I tried going that route but my words go in one ear and get lost in the cobwebs before going out the other.

It's a lost cause dicussing baseball with him. He's stuck in his Cublusional world where he has excuses for anything that goes wrong for the Cubs and right for the Sox.

Time to make new friends.

TDog
11-13-2005, 01:03 PM

In the early 1980s, when WTGC changed its call letters to WTBS, it called itself America's superstation. It televised all Atlanta Braves games. Promos referred to the Braves as "America's team." Ted Turner said in an interview that he wouldn't have called them that if they were losers.

WTBS has always been carried on more cable systems than WGN. I've lived in places where WTBS is part of the basic cable package, but WGN was not available at all. Braves games have long been more broadly available than Cubs games. And unlike the Cubs, the Braves finish first every year. I don't know when the Braves gave up the America's-team title to the Cubs.

As for people saying the Sox were lucky because they won without a .300 hitter, I would say the Sox got some breaks, but that teams make their own breaks when they care more about winning than their own personal stats.

I don't see how Cubs fans can talk about attendance. More people came out to see the White Sox on the last Friday of October than have come out to see the Cubs on any day in their history. And the Sox didn't even play that day.

Dolly
11-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Most of my Cubs fan friends (not that there are many of them) have been congratulatory and have told me that they are happy for me. However, I have had varied reactions from others....

1) There are a couple of die-hard Cubs fans at work (I am the only die-hard Sox fan), both of whom were going out of their way to give me a hard time in the days when the Sox were "choking" up until they won the pennant. Now they try to avoid me. :cool:

2) A friend of mine, who is a Sox fan, sent and email to a bunch of people, and two of those people-- both of whom I don't even know, mind you-- kept replying to all talking about attendance (of course) and bashing Sox fans as being, among other things, "white-trash who like to attack base coaches with their children." I responded with this:
Gentlemen, I understand your bitterness and resentment over not having won a World Series since probably before your grandparents were born, and not having won a pennant since before your parents can remember, if they were even born at the time. If you really feel the need to talk about your problems with your friends, far be it from me to stop you. I know that it must help ease the pain. But then please take me off your email list. I don't even know you; and after reading your insipid emails, I prefer to keep it that way. Thanks.
3) And a story to warm your heart... one of my friends said, "Why did my dad have to raise me a Cubs fan?" She is now in on my season tickets for 2006 and is undergoing baseball therapy. :smile: There are many clueless Cubs fans out there, but the ones that aren't eventually see the light!

LongLiveFisk
11-13-2005, 02:05 PM
3) And a story to warm your heart... one of my friends said, "Why did my dad have to raise me a Cubs fan?"

That's easy. Misery loves company!

Hitmen77
11-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Sometimes I've had to remind myself who won the World Series this year. ...

Translation: projection - they project their feelings onto the Sox.. They are incensed that we won the WS, but it would hurt their lovable image to admit it, so they, as always, make everything about them and come up with another reason to criticize us.

Ah, jealousy can be so ugly. These Cub fans are desperately trying to spin what has happened this season to some Cub-advantage. All the same old BS.

It's all pathetic. They just can't stand it that the Sox won it all. Worse yet, for the first time in recent memory, the Sox are getting almost all the coverage - and it's all been positive - while the Cubs are just an afterthought and they just can stop whining about it. In their self-centered minds, this equals "unfair Cub bashing".

Hitmen77
11-13-2005, 11:52 PM
I hear the tired "everyone had a career year" excuse all the time. Have these bozos even watched the games? The only guys who had career years were Buehrle, Garland, Politte, Cotts and possibly Hermanson (although he was in a new role). None of the hitters had anything close to a career year. In fact, many of the hitters performed WORSE than they have over the last couple years.

"played above their abilities" excuse = :rolleyes:

What make you think Buehrle had a career year? Seems to me that his performance in '05 was consistent with his career to date.

Garland and Cotts? I think there is a stronger argument that each reached their potential this year.

itsnotrequired
11-14-2005, 12:05 AM
What make you think Buehrle had a career year? Seems to me that his performance in '05 was consistent with his career to date.

Garland and Cotts? I think there is a stronger argument that each reached their potential this year.

I have to admit, Buehrle was on the edge. Just another solid year for him. But take a look at the stats. Since he has been a starter (30+ starts a season), last year resulted in:

- lowest ERA
- fewest walks
- fewest home runs
- tied for fewest losses
- second fewest runs (also, second lowest earned)
- second most strikeouts
- second lowest WHIP
- second lowest opponent batting average
- tied for second most wins
- third fewest hits

2001 could be argued as his other career year but 2005 is just as good.

As far as Cotts and Garland are concerned, I wasn't trying to say that they have peaked and it is all downhill from here. To date, 2005 has been their best years. They could very well have been playing under their abilities in previous seasons but it cannot be denied that 2005 was the best years of their short careers. I know I am hoping they keep up the good work.:cool:

StillMissOzzie
11-14-2005, 12:48 AM
One obnoxious Cub fan I bowl with was telling me a few months ago that even if the Sox make the post-season, they will choke because that's what all Chicago teams are best at. I wore one of my WS shirts and pointed out that the shirt was an error-ridden collector's item. They misspelled "choke" C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S.

Then I had to listen to some crap about how the Sox bribed their way into all those umpire calls that went their way...:rolleyes:
"But we won the WS!"
And finally, the attendance and low TV ratings...:rolleyes: . What could be worse than Cub fans who tuned out the WS, then pat themselves on the back for making the TV ratings low?
"But we won the WS!"

SMO
:gulp:

SOXintheBURGH
11-14-2005, 01:30 AM
I don't see how Cubs fans can talk about attendance. More people came out to see the White Sox on the last Friday of October than have come out to see the Cubs on any day in their history. And the Sox didn't even play that day.

Thank you.

32nd&Wallace
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
One friend told me that the Sox are co-champs in the city of Chicago because we split with them in the city series.

itsnotrequired
11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
One friend told me that the Sox are co-champs in the city of Chicago because we split with them in the city series.

I'm sure that the Sox have already sent the Cubs their half of the trophy.:rolleyes:

ilsox7
11-14-2005, 12:12 PM

Makes perfect sense. They won the Attendance Trophy and we won the World Championship Trophy.

And Cub fans are probably happy with that outcome.

Iwritecode
11-14-2005, 12:30 PM
As for people saying the Sox were lucky because they won without a .300 hitter, I would say the Sox got some breaks, but that teams make their own breaks when they care more about winning than their own personal stats.

It seems to me that back in the early 1900's there was another team that won a World Series without having a .300 hitter. They were even nick-named "the hitless wonders".

Even funnier is the fact that they beat some other team that set a record for most wins in a regular season... :cool:

TornLabrum
11-14-2005, 08:58 PM
One obnoxious Cub fan I bowl with was telling me a few months ago that even if the Sox make the post-season, they will choke because that's what all Chicago teams are best at. I wore one of my WS shirts and pointed out that the shirt was an error-ridden collector's item. They misspelled "choke" C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S.

Then I had to listen to some crap about how the Sox bribed their way into all those umpire calls that went their way...:rolleyes:
"But we won the WS!"
And finally, the attendance and low TV ratings...:rolleyes: . What could be worse than Cub fans who tuned out the WS, then pat themselves on the back for making the TV ratings low?
"But we won the WS!"

SMO
:gulp:

I checked the new TV Guide (God, does that magazine stink since they revamped it) last night and saw that Game 4 of the World Series was third overall in the ratings.

GoSox2K3
11-14-2005, 09:04 PM
I checked the new TV Guide (God, does that magazine stink since they revamped it) last night and saw that Game 4 of the World Series was third overall in the ratings.

:sahaf
"all lies! We all know that nobody watched the World Series this year. Cub fans keep repeating this..."

white sox bill
11-15-2005, 07:49 AM
I gotta admit in my neck of the woods (and I do mean woods!) most cub fans were pulling for the Sox..I had 2 cub fans over to watch game 4 vs Houston and they celebrated along w/me! The one is my best friend and sometimes I feel bad when I redneck and case on the north siders, he will defend his team, but he RARELY if ever, cases on the Sox. I guess he's a cub fan first, Sox fan second.

Isn't that like being BiSOXual?!

Iwritecode
11-15-2005, 10:37 AM

It's amazing what happens when you compare the rating of the WS games to the other shows that were on the same night rather than a WS game that was played a year ago.

Too bad the media hasn't figure this out yet...

voodoochile
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I gotta admit in my neck of the woods (and I do mean woods!) most cub fans were pulling for the Sox..I had 2 cub fans over to watch game 4 vs Houston and they celebrated along w/me! The one is my best friend and sometimes I feel bad when I redneck and case on the north siders, he will defend his team, but he RARELY if ever, cases on the Sox. I guess he's a cub fan first, Sox fan second.

Isn't that like being BiSOXual?!

Both of my married with children flubs fan friends were rooting on the Sox and doing the "good for Chicago" thing. I don't rip on the flubbies generally other than on these forums and mostly keep it to misspelling the team name and laughing at the curse stuff. One of them even promised to send me a picture of him wearing a Sox hat if the Sox won and he made good on it.

Of course most of my flubs fan friends don't believe in that crap anyway. I know a couple of other type fans too who are more of the frat boy party hearty variety who have actually said to me "it's supposed to be fun". I reply "Winning is fun and fun is winning". :D: I don't know that those goofs will get it and probably they were rooting for the Astros this year - haven't run into them in a while. It must have been a tough World Series for at least some of them as I know they hate the Astros too.

At least this should end some of the "your a flubs fan, right?" comments that people throw us out of town Chicagoans so often. I've still got a few flubs fans who come by the restaurant but Sox fans are starting to show up more frequently too. I actually had one guy wearing a WS championship hat. Naturally I stopped by and said Hi and told him about the website.

I gave up trash talking the flubbies to my good friends a while back becauese they were whining about it. Now I only do it when the two teams are playing - and they give it back to me. It's nicer this way and look at how they've mellowed...

rdivaldi
11-15-2005, 10:50 AM
My KKKub fan friends mostly kept their mouths shut except for this gem I got the morning after we won it all...

"Congrats to the White Sox and all their "true loyal" fans - they deserve it.
HOWEVER - I must point out the following:

I have noticed much bandwagoning. They could barely fill the stadium for the past 10 years, but "fans" have crawled out of all their little rat holes to claim they have been waiting for this their entire lives.

I don't care if you have mullet, a tattoo that says " I love mama", a 1985 White Pontiac Firebird, purchase beer with foodstamps, kick your dog, like to run out on the field with your son to beat up old men, slap wives of opposing players even when your team is winning, or date girls with flapjacks and guts......

BUT if you are going to claim to be a Sox fan, do it in good times and bad, AND go see the God Damn games to support your team.

Just to put things into perspective:

My family even got 15 prime seats in centerfield (Section 101, lower reserved, 4 rows off the field) 2 weeks before playoffs. We sat together and purchased them only a week before the game. A team that was destined for the playoffs should have had that stadium sold out months before, if it had true loyal fans.

Congrats to the White Sox, but I will pass up on that perverbial ticket to jump on the bandwagon. I will stay with my beloved losers, who can fill the stadium night or day, weekday or weekend, rain or shine, first or last place."

My two word response to this rant was, "Sour grapes". To which I got no response....

Wsoxmike59
11-20-2005, 08:07 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2206044

I got this off ESPN.com, an A.P. story regarding the low World Series Ratings:
Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights.

hsnterprize
11-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Yesterday, we held a first birthday party for my youngest boy, Daniel. Anyway, a couple of people who were invited to the shindig either were or related to Cubs fans. I remember seeing one of the two folks one day when I was helping my sister-in-law move. He came to the new house to help, and he and his son-in-law were talking about "betting against the Sox" after they got into the playoffs. This was just before the near-collapse at the end of the regular season, so I heard nothing from them directly about a possible choke. When I asked this guy about his betting against the Sox, he said he "lost a lot of money, but he's okay." I just snickered.

The other one was the wife of a Cub fan who couldn't make it. I asked her how her husband felt about the Sox winning the Series, and she said he "was annoyed about it at first, but he got over it." He proposed to his wife at Wrigley Field, and he sent us a picture on their announcement to prove it. I was happy for them, but the venue left a lot to be desired if you know what I mean.

TommyJohn
11-20-2005, 07:24 PM
He proposed to his wife at Wrigley Field, and he sent us a picture on their announcement to prove it. I was happy for them, but the venue left a lot to be desired if you know what I mean.

That reminds me of that old show tune from "Gigi". You could even rework it.

He: (singing) "The Cubbies won!"
She: (speaking) "No, they lost"
He: "by one run!"
She:"by a ton!"
Both: "Ah, yes! I remember it it welllllllllllllll!"

The Critic
11-21-2005, 02:14 AM
My KKKub fan friends mostly kept their mouths shut except for this gem I got the morning after we won it all...

"Congrats to the White Sox and all their "true loyal" fans - they deserve it.
HOWEVER - I must point out the following:

I have noticed much bandwagoning. They could barely fill the stadium for the past 10 years, but "fans" have crawled out of all their little rat holes to claim they have been waiting for this their entire lives.

I don't care if you have mullet, a tattoo that says " I love mama", a 1985 White Pontiac Firebird, purchase beer with foodstamps, kick your dog, like to run out on the field with your son to beat up old men, slap wives of opposing players even when your team is winning, or date girls with flapjacks and guts......

BUT if you are going to claim to be a Sox fan, do it in good times and bad, AND go see the God Damn games to support your team.

Just to put things into perspective:

My family even got 15 prime seats in centerfield (Section 101, lower reserved, 4 rows off the field) 2 weeks before playoffs. We sat together and purchased them only a week before the game. A team that was destined for the playoffs should have had that stadium sold out months before, if it had true loyal fans.

Congrats to the White Sox, but I will pass up on that perverbial ticket to jump on the bandwagon. I will stay with my beloved losers, who can fill the stadium night or day, weekday or weekend, rain or shine, first or last place."

My two word response to this rant was, "Sour grapes". To which I got no response....

Cub fans simply don't understand the concept of "voting with your dollar". Sox fans tend to stay away if the team isn't playing up to par. I do feel like the September attendance was kind of low for a team that led wire-to-wire, but we've also seen some September collapses in recent years ( and NOT-so-recent years, too :D: ), so I think a fair amount of Sox fans were still saying "you gotta show me".
....they showed ALL of us what they were made of in the end, and now we are responding by gobbling up season tickets, filling up Soxfest and I'm sure single-game seats are going to be hot sellers, too.

Cub fans continue to keep the pressure off their team's management by filling up the "shrine" no matter if their team finishes 2nd or 4th or 6th. If the ballpark is full, adding payroll to improve the team cannot improve revenues and therefore is seen as a bad business move.

I'll let Cub fans enjoy their Chicago Baseball Attendance Championship, I'm content with the trophy that means something - that nice one with 30 flags on it.

mrs. hendu
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
On the way back home from school, I grabbed Friday's Red Eye just to have something to read on the train. And what did I see there? A letter from some dude living in Wrigleyville with a headline "Sox town? Not so fast." It wasn't in a typical letter column and looked more like an article.

The person, obviously a Cubs fan, said that it's not a Sox town becaue we don't fill out the statdium all year long, only in the playoffs. Also, "only" 1 million people turned out for the parade (it was 1.75 mln actually, but what does he know...) and if the Cubs won, 10 million people would for sure turn up!

Those lovable Cubs fans are taking our victory so graciously! After all, attentance is all that matters in baseball. Oh wait, if THEY WON...

RadioheadRocks
12-17-2005, 04:14 PM
On the way back home from school, I grabbed Friday's Red Eye just to have something to read on the train. And what did I see there? A letter from some dude living in Wrigleyville with a headline "Sox town? Not so fast." It wasn't in a typical letter column and looked more like an article.

The person, obviously a Cubs fan, said that it's not a Sox town becaue we don't fill out the statdium all year long, only in the playoffs. Also, "only" 1 million people turned out for the parade (it was 1.75 mln actually, but what does he know...) and if the Cubs won, 10 million people would for sure turn up!

Those lovable Cubs fans are taking our victory so graciously! After all, attentance is all that matters in baseball. Oh wait, if THEY WON...

You should have asked this clown if they're going to be raising an attendance banner at Wrigley on Opening Day. That would have shut him up for sure!!! :D:

mrs. hendu
12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
You should have asked this clown if they're going to be raising an attendance banner at Wrigley on Opening Day. That would have shut him up for sure!!! :D:

Unfortunately, it was in a paper. All I could do is write a letter, but it's not worth it.

(I didn't want to start another thread, so I put this here even though it's not a person I know giving em grief).

RadioheadRocks
12-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Unfortunately, it was in a paper. All I could do is write a letter, but it's not worth it.

Guess I was a little too quick on the draw there... my bad! : ) Would be neat if someone can send an email response to that effect to the paper though! :D:

mrs. hendu
12-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Guess I was a little too quick on the draw there... my bad! : ) Would be neat if someone can send an email response to that effect to the paper though! :D:

I just remembered that a gut working at a grocery store I go to looked at my WS Champions hat and was like, "Gee, after the World Series I had to deal with the whole thing, but I didn't realize I would also have to deal with those hats for way longer." But then he added that If the Cubs won, he'd wear his hat too, so he understands.

Sure, if the Cubs won...

Fredsox
12-18-2005, 10:26 AM
and if the Cubs won, 10 million people would for sure turn up!

I guess that's one of life's fun little mysteries: the actual attendance at a cub WS parade. We may never know.

Just remember this date: October 14, 1908. Orval Overall beat Bill Donavan 2-0 in front of 6210 depressed Tiger fans to give the cub their last world championship. It's too early to start an Official Countdown To The Anniversary thread, but it's fun to think about.

MadetoOrta
12-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I mentioned this on another thread, but my wife and I attended a party in our west suburban neighborhood and one of my cub fan friends started going off on the "luck" of the Sox. Even are friends who are transplants from Cleveland and Detroit shouted the guy down about "are all cub fans whiners?" etc .... I simply took off my wedding ring, held it aloft in my pal's direction and said "you can't say a thing when my White Sox got the ring. And you can PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He grudingly admitted he was wrong and we laughed about it later. I made a comment [in peace] that someday cub fans will experience the joy too. But remember, we got there first!

TomBradley72
12-18-2005, 12:43 PM
For all the Cub fans bluster...they seem pretty beaten down to me. A group of friends and I do an annual holiday dinner together...of the dozen or so folks that attend 2/3's are Cubs fans...usually the night is filled with good natured needling from both sides. This year....it felt like picking on a severely wounded animal...after a very short discussion....we changed the subject and moved on...out of shear pity.

As a side note...we had a $100 bet (from years ago) payable to the team who won the World Series first. I happily received my payment....of course it was all paid in dimes...but Cubs fans don't care about the WSox. :cool:

slavko
12-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Little Christmas get-together with other retirees from same place, had to bring the topic up myself, got warmish congratulations. Subject soon turned to "like to listen to the games to hear the by-play between Ron and Pat" and "what a great film This Old Cub was and Ron belongs in the HOF."

I'm sorry now that I mentioned it.

1951Campbell
12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
The one Cubs fan I'm in constant contact with has had the good sense basically not to mention it.

samram
12-19-2005, 10:34 PM
There are not really any Cubs fans here to deal with. There are just fans of other teams wishing they were fans of our team.:cool:

chisoxfanatic
12-19-2005, 11:19 PM
The programmer at work seldom leaves his office...I have the WSI "Sox Win! Cubs lose. A Perfect Day!" bag of which I have used as a teacher bag at work, and I immediately brought it to his office door, knocked, and showed it to him with a huge grin on my face. He closed the door quickly...Haha!!!

He then told me to "quit living in the past." Uhhhhhh, bro, we are the CURRENT World Series Champions! You can't get more current than that!!!

thomas35forever
12-19-2005, 11:44 PM
One of my Cub fan friends stopped badmouthing the Sox the day after they won the Series. The rest of them soon followed. However, that same person has on his AIM profile a picture of a handful of fans sitting in the leftfield bleachers at The Cell with the message "Hey Sox fans, where were you in April?"

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Whew! Glad I didnt start this thread. This is an interesting post, one that im sure will soon become a column or a topic on the radio. Ive found *** fans so far at this point, have nothing to say.
NOTHING I was out recently and wore my fleece with the WS 05 CHAMPIONS patch on the sleeve. A fan of that other team, full garb shirt, jacket, hat just stared at me, and the patch. This guy looked like a clown who 1 year ago wouldve made some jab about our **********, or how the **** are the more relevant team per the media. As what ive been seeing from the majority of *** fans, is they cant say ANYTHING to us anymore.
Just like I told Pinwheels things would be different in this town. At an MacJurkoHarry outing last week, there were 2 *** fans there, far outnumbered by SOX fans, and I noticed they simply were looking at SOX fans in shock and awe

daveeym
12-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Whew! Glad I didnt start this thread. This is an interesting post, one that im sure will soon become a column or a topic on the radio. Ive found *** fans so far at this point, have nothing to say.
NOTHING I was out recently and wore my fleece with the WS 05 CHAMPIONS patch on the sleeve. A fan of that other team, full garb shirt, jacket, hat just stared at me, and the patch. This guy looked like a clown who 1 year ago wouldve made some jab about our **********, or how the **** are the more relevant team per the media. As what ive been seeing from the majority of *** fans, is they cant say ANYTHING to us anymore.
Just like I told Pinwheels things would be different in this town. At an MacJurkoHarry outing last week, there were 2 *** fans there, far outnumbered by SOX fans, and I noticed they simply were looking at SOX fans in shock and aweDid the mods make Hangar his own private language filter or is he sliding further over the edge?:rolleyes:

TommyJohn
12-20-2005, 06:50 PM
One of my Cub fan friends stopped badmouthing the Sox the day after they won the Series. The rest of them soon followed. However, that same person has on his AIM profile a picture of a handful of fans sitting in the leftfield bleachers at The Cell with the message "Hey Sox fans, where were you in April?"

How about putting one up with "hey Cub fans, where were you in October?"

SOXPHILE
12-21-2005, 01:13 AM
As more time has passed, I have seen some more Cubs fans out there- (but less than recent years)- Christmas shopping at the malls, pumping gas, or at bars or restaurants. They've got their silly little blue hats on, or some of them looking really neat-o in their jerseys, and more often as we get into winter, their spiffy blue jackets with that red "C-U-B-S" printed on them, which more than ever, is code for "Losers cheering for losers". I agree with some earlier posts. I too seem to detect a wee bit lack of smugness about them, and a more beaten, defeated look on their faces. Especially if they see me with the Sox hat, and/or jacket I'm wearing, looking back at them with that "BWAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA !" look on my face. In my family, only my dad and myself are Sox fans. Everyone else is either a Cub fan, a pseudo-casual Cub fan, or doesn't watch sports. I can't wait for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, as I will be wearing my black Chicago White Sox World Series Champions santa hat to the family gatherings, to help spread a little Christmas cheer.