PDA

View Full Version : Rooney replacement thread

Whitesox029
11-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Any news I'm not aware of? I think it should be someone who can come in and do play-by-play most of the time because Farmio's great as a color man but not so much on PBP.

Wsoxmike59
11-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Now that Wayne Hagin is available, I think he'd be an apt replacment for John Rooney.

One of the reasons the Sox let Hagin go in the first place, was that he sounded TOO MUCH LIKE ROONEY they said!!

The man that John Rooney replaced in the booth was Lorn Brown. I absolutely loved his radio PBP with the Sox (two stints)
Put me down for one Wayne Hagin and or Lorn Brown.

ChiSoxIn06
11-12-2005, 06:00 PM
get black jack mcdowell...he did a good job in fox's coverage for the playoffs IMO and would be a great partner for farmer...and if not that we can use him to replace DJ...either way its a win-win

ilsox7
11-12-2005, 06:03 PM
get black jack mcdowell...he did a good job in fox's coverage for the playoffs IMO and would be a great partner for farmer...and if not that we can use him to replace DJ...either way its a win-win

He won't do it b/c of family considerations. Him and Robin won't commit to the full 162 game schedule.

TornLabrum
11-12-2005, 06:11 PM
My guess is that since The Score gave him a kind of trial in the post-season coverage, it's gonna be John Cangelosi.

TomBradley72
11-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Whoever they get...I'd like to see a "stop gap" for a year or two....then bring back Willsie from his exile in Tampa Bay.....

Realist
11-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Whoever they get...I'd like to see a "stop gap" for a year or two....then bring back Willsie from his exile in Tampa Bay.....

I'm with you. Gimme a warm body that doesn't make me cringe for a season and I'll wait for that Willsie.

I made it through DJ's first year announcing, so I imagine I can put up with just about anything.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
WSCR has assured Ed Farmer that he will be the play by play man for next season. Therefore you can eliminate any play by play guys who may be out there like Charlie Steiner and Wayne Hagin.

Therefore you are looking for an analyst. According to an individual who actually applied for the job and was given a trial, the three real possibilities are Steve Lyons, Ron Kittle and John Cangelosi.

I also had another individual tell me the job is Lyons' if he wants it.

McDowell and Ventura never even applied telling the Sox family considerations prevented them from being available for 162 games.

Lip

vegyrex
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
To bad Jack or Robin couldn't do it. It would have been fun to hear them on the radio.

Banix12
11-12-2005, 09:11 PM
I haven't heard enough of Cangelosi as a broadcaster, though I do remember him as a player. I think since Farmer has such a low-key speaking tone they need to balance that with a guy with an energetic personality. I think that guy could very well be Kittle.

DickAllen72
11-12-2005, 10:13 PM
WSCR has assured Ed Farmer that he will be the play by play man for next season.
Lip

Looks like the days of turning down the sound on the TV and listening to the audio on the radio are definitely over.

Oh for the days of Caray & Piersall!

chisoxfanatic
11-12-2005, 10:51 PM
I heard somewhere that there's a possibility that DJ will join Farmer in the radio booth with Steve Stone joininig Hawk in the TV booth.

LuvSox
11-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Kittle? Lyons? :puking:

Banix12
11-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I heard somewhere that there's a possibility that DJ will join Farmer in the radio booth with Steve Stone joininig Hawk in the TV booth.

Doesn't sound likely but if it happened I am definitely listening to the TV broadcast.

SOXSINCE'70
11-13-2005, 12:18 AM
WSCR has assured Ed Farmer that he will be the play by play man for next season.
Lip

May the baseball gods,if they do exist,help all Sox fans who have
grown tired of "Ramblin' " Ed Farmer.I know i'm not alone,but I also
long for the days of Caray and Piersall.The problem is,THEY TOLD THE
TRUTH. If the Sox played poorly (and most of the time Harry and Jimmy
called games from 1976-1981,they did),they'd say it.That does not
work in this era of "homers".:(:

Domeshot17
11-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Has kittle done any radio Color commentary? not sure how he would fare, surely would be passionate about the sox, but so is DJ.

I am one of few who thinks Lyons doesnt do too bad a job, so personally I would not mind him.

BUT, Maybe we can get Tim McCarver away from Fox !!!! I mean who would not love 162 games of, Ed Farmer: Tim, what do you think the white sox need to do today to get a W, Tim: Well Ed, I think they need to score more runs than their opponent, or give up less.

peeonwrigley
11-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Stone would be a huge coup for the Sox. Two very strong personalities in the booth though... that could lead to some interesting televsion.

The radio side of that equation sucks. I always found Rooney and Farmer a little sleepy for my liking... this could be coma-inducing.

IowaSox1971
11-13-2005, 01:39 AM
We have to get Steve Stone. He is the top analyst in the business, and having him in the booth (either in radio or TV) would be a huge plus. In addition, it would make the Cubs look bad yet again.

antitwins13
11-13-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm going to say "The Pope." He was amazing as Hawk's replacement.

Chisox003
11-13-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm going to say "The Pope." He was amazing as Hawk's replacement.
Either....
A) :tealpolice:

or

B) :bundy

He was beyond terrible

Steelrod
11-13-2005, 05:31 AM
We have to get Steve Stone. He is the top analyst in the business, and having him in the booth (either in radio or TV) would be a huge plus. In addition, it would make the Cubs look bad yet again.

Would also make Farmio look bad!

caulfield12
11-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Nobody has mentioned Bill Melton...or maybe I missed it.

Steelrod
11-13-2005, 10:18 AM
How 'bout Wimpy. I'm told he only works 30 games in Atlanta. Would love to hear him again. Will help ease the pain!

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2005, 10:22 AM
How 'bout Wimpy. I'm told he only works 30 games in Atlanta. Would love to hear him again. Will help ease the pain!

yesssssss...i'd love to see that again

didn't he and hawk have a falling out though? or am i wrong...

soxfanatlanta
11-13-2005, 10:28 AM

Already had a thread on Whimpy. The result: ne is not coming back, not gonna happen.

cest la vie.

monkeypants
11-13-2005, 11:26 AM
What's Jeff Torborg doing these days? He has a good history with the Sox and whenever I've heard him on the radio he always gave good insight and praise to the Sox and the coaching staff. I could live with him as the color man but put me in the camp that would like to see Willsy come back after next year.

mdep524
11-13-2005, 11:31 AM
I heard somewhere that there's a possibility that DJ will join Farmer in the radio booth with Steve Stone joininig Hawk in the TV booth. You heard this as an actual possibility from Sox/WSCR, or as wishful thinking from Sox fans? I have said that this would be the ideal set up. DJ would work much better with Farmer, I could see good chemistry developing there. And Stone is an elite TV color man (though his on air chemistry with the overbearing Hawk would be interesting!).

Steelrod
11-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Already had a thread on Whimpy. The result: ne is not coming back, not gonna happen.

cest la vie.

Sorry, I didn't know that this forum made these decisions. I thought we just discussed things. Did anybody tell wimpy not to bother?

Lip Man 1
11-13-2005, 12:52 PM
The forum didn't, Paciorek did. he has told confidants that Hawk is a 'back-stabber' and led to him getting fired from the Sox.

Lip

Steelrod
11-13-2005, 02:49 PM
The forum didn't, Paciorek did. he has told confidants that Hawk is a 'back-stabber' and led to him getting fired from the Sox.

Lip
Obviously not confidants if they told us! lol

RedPinStripes
11-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Is DJ's contract up? I thought his 01 extension went through 05? I'm very curious to know why he wasn't around for the parade and hasn't been heard from .

sox84
11-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I still like the idea of Wayne Hagin - seems like Rooney and he kind of did a co play by play - wonder if that would fly - I'm with those who are yawning at the thought of Farmer as play by play guy. If they in fact did tell Farmer he was PBP, though, they should stick to it. I think the cardinals stuck it to Hagin, and look pretty classless in dumping him for John.

starboy0
11-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Is DJ's contract up? I thought his 01 extension went through 05? I'm very curious to know why he wasn't around for the parade and hasn't been heard from .

That is still the mystery for me also. Where was DJ!? Is he gone? Did he miss the parade because he was ticked at not being re-signed? Family emergency?

He was part of the team for awhile and to miss this celebration does raise questions.

bahn1225
11-13-2005, 07:05 PM

This idea was put forth by Ted Cox, on Friday 11/11 in The Daily Herald.

Its a very good column titled: One final look back at an unforgettable baseball season.

flo-B-flo
11-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Oh for the days of Caray & Piersall! Yes me too. They were a great pairing. I'm bummed abour Rooney.:(:

flo-B-flo
11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
I heard somewhere that there's a possibility that DJ will join Farmer in the radio booth with Steve Stone joininig Hawk in the TV booth. It could only be hoped this would happen. Never was a big fan of Farmers'. They should hire a good radio play by play man.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Farmer doing play by play teamed up with Cangelosi for color? This has disaster written all over it.

Who is going to rein in Farmer when he goes off on another of his ridiculous tangents?
:o:

antitwins13
11-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Anybody but, Wimpy, Steve Stone and Mike North.

GeauxSox
11-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Agreed. I would love to see Hawk and Stoney.

Viva Medias B's
11-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Farmer doing play by play teamed up with Cangelosi for color? This has disaster written all over it.

Who is going to rein in Farmer when he goes off on another of his ridiculous tangents?

:farmer
"John, did I tell you that my good friend Charlie Weis left a voice mail on my cell phone today?"

SouthSide_HitMen
11-14-2005, 03:57 AM

Maybe a disaster is needed to get David Wills back here in 2007.

I would like a Hawk / Steve Stone TV broadcast (2006) and David Wills / Ed Farmer Radio Broadcast (2007) with Brian Dolgin doing the pre / post game show and Drillrods Bruce Levine and Jesse Rogers ("scrubs") as far away from World Championship White Sox baseball as possible.

Fenway
11-14-2005, 09:23 AM
according to a media board I belong to 2 more names hape popped up.

Elliot Price, the former Expos announcer who is very good at nuts and bolts and Dave Shea who did Nationals radio this year. What is important here is that BOTH have done NHL play by play and the Hawks are planning on ending the Pat Foley simulcast for road games and there will be a need for a hockey voice as well.

But for those worried about Mike North news out of New York is not good. WFAN plans to use Mike and the Mad Dog on Mets games to boost interest and if Infinity thinks it will work in NYC, the may think the same about Chicago.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Mike North has zero chance of doing Sox games.

Lip

downstairs
11-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Mike North has zero chance of doing Sox games.

Lip

Yeah, but that sort of logic in 2001 would have lead you to believe an idiot like DJ would not be signed for 4+ seasons in the TV booth.

And he was.

slavko
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
DJ is not an idiot. To say he is one is beyond exaggeration to make a point.

If Stoney was getting $400K from the Cubs and Rooney got an offer of $250K from WSCR, why does anyone think Stoney would want to come here for a major pay cut? He isn't coming, IMHO.

mdep524
11-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, but that sort of logic in 2001 would have lead you to believe an idiot like DJ would not be signed for 4+ seasons in the TV booth.

And he was. DJ is not an idiot. That's a very ignorant comment. He is a very smart baseball guy, who is very wise and insightful when it comes to fundamentals of good baseball like baserunning, outfield defense, two strike hitting, etc. Unfortunately, he isn't always the most eloquent speaker, and pairing him with Hawk is just disastrous. But Darrin Jackson is far from an idiot. In a different environment (spring training coach/instructor? radio broadcast partner with Farmer? postgame analyst?) he might look a heck of a lot better.

PaulDrake
11-14-2005, 08:02 PM
I can't remember the exact date, but I believe it was in the 03 season Rooney filled in for Hawk on TV. He and DJ worked very well together. It really made an impression on me, because I'd never been a big DJ fan. What a great pro John Rooney is. He's on top of his game and he rubs off on his partner. He will be missed. DJ will never be a Hall of Fame broadcaster, but he comes across somewhat better when not paired up with Hawk.

dugwood31
11-14-2005, 08:13 PM

And he was.

I'm weighing in too -- DJ is not an idiot. The guy survived in pro baseball because he knew the game, and I still hold out hope that he'll get more comfortable behind the mic. I don't think Hawk helps, because DJ seems to feel the need to work around Hawk's overstated opinions about stuff. I like Hawk, I just can't imagine him being easy to share a broadcast with.

Mike North would be a disaster. I would be livid. He's a racist -- he accused Ozzie of playing favorites with the Latin players last year because Marte and El Duque were on the postseason roster. If a white manager had done the same with white players, North wouldn't have said a word. Or if he did, he would have said it was a bad move, not necessarily a move motivated by race. Oh, and remember when Kenny Williams got the GM job over Dan Evans? North said that was because of race too. Now Williams has a ring and Evans presided over phase one of the Dodgers' meltdown. It takes special talent to break the drought on the Southside, and it takes a special talent to dismantle one of the most effective baseball machines of the last 3 decades, if not longer. I know it wasn't all Evans' fault in LA, but...

Lip Man 1
11-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Didn't Evans build the Dodgers club that went to the playoffs in 2004? I think it was DePodestra that destroyed it didn't he?

Lip

samram
11-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Didn't Evans build the Dodgers club that went to the playoffs in 2004? I think it was DePodestra that destroyed it didn't he?

Lip

Yeah, that's pretty much correct. I know this isn't the point of this thread, but Evans was doing a decent job out there, but when McCourt bought the team, he didn't want to have the same type of payroll they had when Murdoch et al were in charge, hence the hiring of Moneyball, Jr., who wrecked a playoff team in attempting to show us all how smart he is.

mdep524
11-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I can't remember the exact date, but I believe it was in the 03 season Rooney filled in for Hawk on TV. He and DJ worked very well together. It really made an impression on me, because I'd never been a big DJ fan. What a great pro John Rooney is. He's on top of his game and he rubs off on his partner. He will be missed. DJ will never be a Hall of Fame broadcaster, but he comes across somewhat better when not paired up with Hawk. He comes across much better. His sense of humor, knowledge and conversation skills are handcuffed by his submissive interaction with Hawk. To make the broadcast interesting, Hawk needs a strong personality in the booth to challenge him. Not necessarily a stubborn personality (e.g Hawk and Farmer would NEVER work!), but a strong one. Someone who is not aftraid to make a statement without deferring to Hawk, or someone who will steer a conversation in a different direction than Hawk's cliches, or someone who just might- gasp- disagree with Hawk!

Hawk and DJ together are boring, I admit. The discussion is boring, and often painfully redundant. Submissive personalities like DJ just make for boring commentary when paired with Hawk. But that's the way Hawk likes it, so it's not likely to change.

caulfield12
11-15-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much correct. I know this isn't the point of this thread, but Evans was doing a decent job out there, but when McCourt bought the team, he didn't want to have the same type of payroll they had when Murdoch et al were in charge, hence the hiring of Moneyball, Jr., who wrecked a playoff team in attempting to show us all how smart he is.

Derek Lowe and Weaver were not the best signings in history.

They were probably smart to pass on giving Beltre huge money...but equally stupid to think that JD Drew would ever stay healthy more than once over a full season.

Injuries, especially the one to Gagne, really crippled the team as it was a roster shuffle throughout the entire season. When you have to play Olmedo Saenz everyday at this stage in his career, you´re in trouble.

slavko
11-15-2005, 02:40 PM
...and yet when they were first paired, DJ did call out Hawk at times, like for his constant use of cliches. That's when Hawk gave him the nickname of "Feisty." DJ has since adjusted to a blandly compatible state in Hawk's presence.

Then there's the relationship between North and Evans who have had countless suckup interviews together on Mike's shipwreck of a radio show. Contrast this with the drilling he gives KW every time they share a mic. Mike may or may not be a racist, but he sees race in everything. ($1.6M a year and they were all choked up about giving Rooney $250K. Jerks.)

LTSoxFan
11-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, I'll chime on this. I was in broadcasting for 15 years and I have a certain "requirement" from my radio crew. I need one true broadcaster and no more than one ex-athlete. Two athletes in the booth (TV or radio) is at least one too many in my book.

As much as I enjoyed Rooney and Hagen, I wouldn't think Hagen would come back, as Farmer was his replacement.

Since WSCR has already told Farmer he's the PBP guy (bad move on their part) they now have no flexiblity in who they hire. If a world class broadcaster would become avaiable, they wouldn't be able to hire him, as they're looking for an analyst only.

I've watched the games with radio on since Rooney has been with us. Since I haven't heard the Hawk latey I guess we'll have to decide whether he or Farmer is "less sleepy" sounding and listen to that. I'm not optomisic that Rooney's shoes will be adequtely filled on the radio side.

dugwood31
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Lip

Depodesta took over in January '04 -- so yeah, Evans deserves some credit. I guess I overstated my point. Evans isn't a complete incompetent. The Dodgers current situation can probably be shared equally with Malone, Evans and Depodesta. My point was that Mike North made it seem like Evans was a genius and Kenny Williams was completely unqualified and was only hired because he was African American. Kenny Williams has won a ring, Evans didn't, and Mike North made ridiculous, offensive comments that were, to put it generously, part baseball ignorance, and part racist. Either way, I'll be livid if he's hired.

gowhitesox
11-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Now that Wayne Hagin is available, I think he'd be an apt replacment for John Rooney.

One of the reasons the Sox let Hagin go in the first place, was that he sounded TOO MUCH LIKE ROONEY they said!!

The man that John Rooney replaced in the booth was Lorn Brown. I absolutely loved his radio PBP with the Sox (two stints)
Put me down for one Wayne Hagin and or Lorn Brown.

When I lived in Michigan I enjoyed listening to Lorn Brown's PBP, although I thought I read some place on the internet that he's in New Mexico now.

Steelrod
11-16-2005, 08:11 AM

Lip
Evans, who previouly was the boy genius, was turned down for more jobs than I have.Lasted basically a year. He also wasn't mentioned for any of the openings since. Could it be that people overestimated his potential, or his ability. I believe he is now a scout for Seattle. Nuf said?

slavko
11-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Depodesta took over in January '04 -- so yeah, Evans deserves some credit. I guess I overstated my point. Evans isn't a complete incompetent. The Dodgers current situation can probably be shared equally with Malone, Evans and Depodesta. My point was that Mike North made it seem like Evans was a genius and Kenny Williams was completely unqualified and was only hired because he was African American. Kenny Williams has won a ring, Evans didn't, and Mike North made ridiculous, offensive comments that were, to put it generously, part baseball ignorance, and part racist. Either way, I'll be livid if he's hired.

Just to be fair to North (I'm a softie) he took the same approach when B. J. Armstrong was bypassed for John Paxson as the Bulls GM, saying that B. J. was in management longer and deserved the job. So he was consistent, at least in this regard.

Stoky44
11-16-2005, 01:06 PM
DJ will never be a Hall of Fame broadcaster, but he comes across somewhat better when not paired up with Hawk.

"uh-oh!! Buh-bye" = DJ not paired with Hawk.

Jenks4Pres
11-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Bring on NORTH!!!!!!1

"He's my guy!!!!!"

sox84
11-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Bring on NORTH!!!!!!1

"He's my guy!!!!!" WSCR had a poll asking whether listeners wanted North doing games shortly after it was first announced Rooney might not be back. Once they announced they were doing the poll it quickly went @85% NO, and they quietly forgot to bring up the poll any more.

kevin57
11-16-2005, 08:27 PM
WSCR had a poll asking whether listeners wanted North doing games shortly after it was first announced Rooney might not be back. Once they announced they were doing the poll it quickly went @85% NO, and they quietly forgot to bring up the poll any more.

:rolling: :rolling: That was a trial balloon that went ... BUST!

PKalltheway
11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
How does Steve Lyons sound in the booth with the Hawk next year? Lyons is definately somebody who is not afraid to speak his mind. Imagine him and the Hawk saying YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

:hawk

Lip Man 1
11-16-2005, 10:46 PM
PKall:

Lyons is the favorite to get the job according to my sources (one of whom auditioned for it) but it won't be with Hawk. It will be next to Farmer if he wants the position.

Lip

paciorek1983
11-16-2005, 11:55 PM
PKall:

Lyons is the favorite to get the job according to my sources (one of whom auditioned for it) but it won't be with Hawk. It will be next to Farmer if he wants the position.

Lip

So my question still remains.........Where IS DJ anyway???????