PDA

View Full Version : old Comiskey photos

Fenway
11-12-2005, 12:48 PM
found some great shots of the old girl from http://www.ballparktour.com/Former_Chicago.html

first one has to be late 1967

http://www.ballparktour.com/Comiskey_1967.jpg

http://www.ballparktour.com/Comiskey_Nancy.jpg

http://www.ballparktour.com/Comiskey_101.jpg

http://www.ballparktour.com/Comiskey_102.jpg

HITMEN OF 77
11-12-2005, 12:51 PM
The first one is indeed from 1967. If you look on teh scoreboard, its says the Sox will be on WFLD next year, they switched to WFLD in 1968. Pete Ward is at bat.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Actually the first photo is from early 1967. See Pete Ward's interview here at WSI.

The 3rd photo is from the home opener in 1981 vs. Milwaukee. That's Steve Trout on the mound.
Lip

doogiec
11-12-2005, 01:07 PM
It appears to be May 17, 1967, based on the out of town scores. Kind of weird that they stuck it to WGN by advertising their new TV station all season long in such a prominent location.

Fenway
11-12-2005, 01:19 PM
It appears to be May 17, 1967, based on the out of town scores. Kind of weird that they stuck it to WGN by advertising their new TV station all season long in such a prominent location.

beat me to it

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05170CHA1967.htm

Well WGN stuck it to the White Sox as well when THEY decided to air the full Cubs schedule

Kaat would have a 1-5 record after the game :cool:

Kaat (http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pkaatj101.htm) L (1-5) 3.1 7 5 4 0 7 0

Huisj
11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
That old scoreboard looked so big and impressive out there. Sure, I guess the one today is bigger than that one, but it'll never have the same kind of presense like that if it's surrounded by billboards on each side that are nearly as large as it is. The old one stood there all by itself, and that made it all the more impressive looking.

RallyBowl
11-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Big surprise- there's no one in the stands.

Fenway
11-12-2005, 02:42 PM
That old scoreboard looked so big and impressive out there. Sure, I guess the one today is bigger than that one, but it'll never have the same kind of presense like that if it's surrounded by billboards on each side that are nearly as large as it is. The old one stood there all by itself, and that made it all the more impressive looking.

Thanks Bill

http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1960s_sports/28.jpg

Fenway
11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
a few more

http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1950s_sports/26.jpg

http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1950s_sports/31.jpg
Sox fans whoop it up as the team clinches the pennant on September 22, 1959. Above: In a tavern at 3423 South Racine Avenue
http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1950s_sports/38.jpg
http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1950s_sports/37.jpg
http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1950s_sports/30.jpg

Sox fans whoop it up as the team clinches the pennant on September 22, 1959. Above: In front of Comiskey Park.

Fenway
11-12-2005, 02:56 PM
http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1970s_sports/11.jpg
http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1970s_sports/10.jpg

Roller derby revival September 15, 1972
The Midwest Pioneers take on the Los Angeles Thunderbirds at a rockin‘ Comiskey Park. An announced crowd of 50,118 fans—more people than had watched a White Sox game in 17 years—came to see the blockers and jammers square off. Another 15,000 were reportedly turned away. The sport, started in 1935 at the Chicago Coliseum, flourished in the decade after World War II, but it fell victim to overexposure on TV.

http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1970s_sports/34.jpg

http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1940s_sports/42.jpg

South Side toughs.
The Chicago Cardinals defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 28-21 in the 1947 NFL Championship game at Comiskey Park.

C-Dawg
11-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Wow that '47 pic with no scoreboard sure looks odd!

By the way, when did they add the pinwheels to the scoreboard? I remember them being there when I was a kid, but they aren't there yet in the '72 roller derby pic.

JimH
11-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Love the Chicago Cardinals picture.

My father, who was 17 at the time, snuck in to see the game. He told me he got in thru a vendors entrance at the back of the park, the lower LF corner. The turf was so icy, the Cardinals changed to sneakers and got better traction.

On Dec. 28 1997 (or whenever the 50th anniversary was, can't exactly recall), my dad and I went to the site of Old Comiskey and posed for a picture at the approximate site of the 50 yard line at 1:05 pm ... we tried to take the picture 50 years exactly from the opening kickoff. I was wearing a 1947 Chicago Cardinals Championship jersey and my dad was holding an old Chicago Cardinals pennant. The picture is a prized posession.

whtsx1959
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM

By the way, when did they add the pinwheels to the scoreboard? I remember them being there when I was a kid, but they aren't there yet in the '72 roller derby pic.
If it helps narrow it down, they were there in 1979, seen in the Disco demolition pictures.

Fenway
11-12-2005, 04:08 PM

educated guess would be 76 when Veeck came back

doogiec
11-12-2005, 04:43 PM
educated guess would be 76 when Veeck came back

Your guess is correct.

whtsx1959
11-12-2005, 04:49 PM
The scoreboard behind him says Cubs vs. Sox, that's pretty cool.
What time of year did they play that city series?

SouthSide_HitMen
11-12-2005, 05:01 PM
The scoreboard behind him says Cubs vs. Sox, that's pretty cool.
What time of year did they play that city series?

The old charity / crosstown classic series used to take place in April or May. The White Sox dominated that series than as they do all series against the Cubs. We are 153-108-6 lifetime vs. the Cubs (spring training, crosstown classic, interleague and World Series games).

Hitmen77
11-12-2005, 05:26 PM
South Side toughs.
The Chicago Cardinals defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 28-21 in the 1947 NFL Championship game at Comiskey Park.

Pretty pathetic that you can list the Cardinals as a Chicago team that has won a league championship more recently than the Cubs have even played in a championship game/series.

I have seen/heard very little about the Cardinals' history in Chicago. Anyone here remember this being a 2-team NFL town? What was the dyanamics of that like? Did Bears/Cardinal fans hate each other like Cubs/Sox fans? If so, are there still former Cardinal fans who refuse to root for the Bears?

JimH
11-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Pretty pathetic that you can list the Cardinals as a Chicago team that has won a league championship more recently than the Cubs have even played in a championship game/series.

I have seen/heard very little about the Cardinals' history in Chicago. Anyone here remember this being a 2-team NFL town? What was the dyanamics of that like? Did Bears/Cardinal fans hate each other like Cubs/Sox fans? If so, are there still former Cardinal fans who refuse to root for the Bears?

My dad has never warmed up to the Bears, nor have many long time southsiders, especially in Bridgeport.

The Bears-Cardinals games were as big of a deal as the Sox-Cubs games are now. Very intense, jam packed, with the Cardinals usually as underdogs but managing to win their fair share of games vs. their neighbors to the north.

Things really got intense in 1947 and 1948 because both teams were gunning for the title and the Cardinals knocked out the Bears both times. The last game the Cardinals won in the series was in 1955, a lopsided 53-14 shellacking at Comiskey Park. By that time, the teams were playing only one game vs. one another, for years prior it had been a home and home.

In the late 50's the Cardinals were woefully mismanaged and generally league dormats. The Bears won the last 4, from '56 to '59, with the 1959 game at Solider Field (Nov. 29 1959) being the last Chicago Cardinals home game. They couldn't come to a lease agreement with Comiskey so in 1959 they played home games at Soldier Field after the Park District pumped some money into the facility and added the north end zone bleachers.

By that time, the rumors were increasing that the Cardinals would move. In 1958 they played a "home" game in Buffalo and in 1959 they played 2 "home" games in Minneapolis. The rationale the front office gave was they wanted to expand their Chicago television market but my father has told me the fans saw through it ... Warner Wolfner and his wife were generally despised as owners and no one was surprised when they pulled up stakes in Feb. 1960 to St. Louis.

The Cardinals ownership had complained for years about Comiskey Park and attempted to move to Dyche Stadium in 1958 but were rebuffed by Halas, who had an old agreement he signed with Charlie Bidwell back in the early 30's which stated the Cardinals couldn't play home games north of Madison Street and presumably vice versa for the Bears.

Halas, of course, wanted the Chicago market all to himself, and fan support for the Cardinals wasn't particularly strong. For most games, home attendance hovered in the low 20k range at best.

And even though the Cardinals had some great players like Dick "Nite Train" Lane, Ollie Matson, and even Pat Summerall ... they were really bad in the 50's. Tickets were really easy to get and the team was always playing exhibition games in other cities who wanted to woo the team away from Chicago.

My dad recalls before the move was announced that they were going to St. Louis (March 13 1960), Warner Wolfner was quoted in the papers just days before, "The Chicago Cardinals will remain the Chicago Cardinals", and then poof, they were gone, along with all the usual backpeddling and rationalizations. In an interesting twist of irony, the Cardinals were promised a new stadium in St. Louis and a 25,000 season ticket base. That stadium ended up taking 6 years to get built, and it is the same Busch Stadium that's now being demolished. So they had to play in old Sportsmans Park, which was an even worse facility for football than Comiskey Park.

FYI, the football field at Comiskey Park ran from the left field wall to the first base dugout, and arguably the best seats were upper deck down the 3rd base line.

Many of the old Cardinal players are still remembered fondly at Schaller's Pump, they hung out there back then and many continued to patronize and gather there for years. Elmer Angsman, the halfback, used to be in there all the time until he died a few years ago. His best friend was George Connor, the Bears Hall of Famer, who went to ND and DeLasalle High School.

There is a great picture from a 1957 football sports preview magazine which showed an on-field scuffle from the Dec. 1956 Bears-Cardinals game at Wrigley Field. The picture shows Bears Hall of Fame receiver Harlon Hill getting into it with Cardinals defensive end Pat Summerall. I found the magazine at an antique store, made a copy of the picture, and sent it to Summerall at Fox Sports for an autograph. He sent it back, signed with "I remember this moment well, Pat Summerall". I have it framed in my sports bar.

Vernam
11-12-2005, 08:08 PM
My dad has never warmed up to the Bears, nor have many long time southsiders, especially in Bridgeport. SNIPLots of cool information about the Cards -- thanks, JimH.

On a less-interesting but somewhat fascinating note, Roller Derby is back. My nieces went to see a match last month, and I could hardly believe it. See http://www.windycityrollers.com/.

Just keep 'em away from the Cell . . .

Vernam

TomBradley72
11-12-2005, 09:17 PM

I will be sure to use this during my next harassment of Cub fans....thank you. :gulp:

Brian26
11-12-2005, 11:42 PM
The 3rd photo is from the home opener in 1981 vs. Milwaukee. That's Steve Trout on the mound.
Lip

That exact photo is on the back of the Sporting News "Take Me Out to The Ballpark" book that came out in the early 80's.

jfinsocal
11-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Start time must have been 8:00 in 1968. Beyond TV games there isn't a pro team that starts that late now. The Washington Caps had 8:00 start times maybe a decade ago but now 7:00 is more common than 7:30.

MadetoOrta
11-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Actually the first photo is from early 1967. See Pete Ward's interview here at WSI.

Lip

Is that Jim Morrison playing second base in the'81 opener?

mccombe_35
11-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Thank you for the link Fenway. Brought back some great, great memories.:smile:

gaelhound
11-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Love the Chicago Cardinals picture.

My father, who was 17 at the time, snuck in to see the game. He told me he got in thru a vendors entrance at the back of the park, the lower LF corner. The turf was so icy, the Cardinals changed to sneakers and got better traction.

On Dec. 28 1997 (or whenever the 50th anniversary was, can't exactly recall), my dad and I went to the site of Old Comiskey and posed for a picture at the approximate site of the 50 yard line at 1:05 pm ... we tried to take the picture 50 years exactly from the opening kickoff. I was wearing a 1947 Chicago Cardinals Championship jersey and my dad was holding an old Chicago Cardinals pennant. The picture is a prized posession.
Don't tell us about a picture like this! Show the photo!

Brian26
11-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Start time must have been 8:00 in 1968.

I just noticed that. The time is 8:20 and it was only the top of the 2nd inning. Unless (and notice there are some ominous clouds in that photograph) maybe the start of the game was delayed due to rain.

C-Dawg
11-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Wasn't the late start-time another Bill Veeck innovation? Thereby giving working people time to get to the ballpark without sneaking out of work early (which is what I have to do if I go during the week).

TornLabrum
11-13-2005, 05:24 PM
I just noticed that. The time is 8:20 and it was only the top of the 2nd inning. Unless (and notice there are some ominous clouds in that photograph) maybe the start of the game was delayed due to rain.

Nope. Back then night games started at 8:00 p.m. and twi-night doubleheaders started at 6:00.

TornLabrum
11-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Wasn't the late start-time another Bill Veeck innovation? Thereby giving working people time to get to the ballpark without sneaking out of work early (which is what I have to do if I go during the week).

I don't know about the origins or the 8:00 p.m. start, but I do know that 8:00 p.m. was the starting time for night games here before Veeck bought the club the first time.

Bucky F. Dent
11-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Those are some outstanding pics.

God I miss that place. This was an extraordinary year, but I can only imagine what it would have been like in the old cathedral!

Malgar 12
11-13-2005, 07:35 PM
My dad has never warmed up to the Bears, nor have many long time southsiders, especially in Bridgeport.

I can vouch for that. My old man doesn't care about the bears at all. The only time he brings them up is when he starts a rant about Chicago's pathetic sports history. He even usually argues that the reason the Cardinals stink, is because they used to play in Chicago. The argument then culminates with the Sox pathetic history. From now on of course, he'll have to leave the Sox out of the argument.:D::bandance::bandance::bandance:

CHEESESOXER
11-13-2005, 07:54 PM

That was also before they put up the fence to shorten it from 440'.

Did you know that they also put up a cyclone fence around the outfield in the late 40's and Floyd Baker hit his only HR then?

TornLabrum
11-13-2005, 09:33 PM
That was also before they put up the fence to shorten it from 440'.

Did you know that they also put up a cyclone fence around the outfield in the late 40's and Floyd Baker hit his only HR then?

The Sox did a lot of tinkering with fences. In the '50s the bullpen was behind a canvas covered fence in centerfield. Then it was 415 ft. to CF. A later change reduced that to 400 ft. Veeck took out the bullpen fence for the first time in years in '76, bringing back the original 440 ft. distance to CF.

Sometime in the '60s the Sox put in chain link fences to help other teams' hitters tee off on our pitchers. That lasted a year.

cheeses_h_rice
11-13-2005, 10:59 PM
This is all pretty eye-opening to me. I always thought of the Cardinals as being some real ancient history in this city, not something as recent as 1960.

So was the fan breakdown similar to Cubs/Sox? Bears played at Wrigley, Cards at Comiskey?

Why didn't the Bears play at Soldier Field before?

markopat
11-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Been a fan since mid 70's...I love learning about the history of this team!

This thread truly RULES!

Thank you all!

:threadrules:

JimH
11-14-2005, 08:53 AM
This is all pretty eye-opening to me. I always thought of the Cardinals as being some real ancient history in this city, not something as recent as 1960.

So was the fan breakdown similar to Cubs/Sox? Bears played at Wrigley, Cards at Comiskey?

Why didn't the Bears play at Soldier Field before?

You're exactly right, the breakdown was very similar in terms of fan loyalties and the rivalry was quite intense.

The Bears were entrenched at Wrigley and the NFL didn't have any minimum capacity rules in those days. Plus, Soldier Field didn't have the north end zone seats, it was really a huge oval and the seats were really far from the action.

In the 50's and 60's, Soldier Field was a white elephant, rarely used and rather run down. The Park District pumped some money into the facility to make it suitable for the Bears beginning in 1971.

Fenway
11-14-2005, 10:01 AM
The main reason for the move to Soldiers Field was that if the Bears wanted to be on Monday Night Football, they needed lights which was a problem at Wrigley

In the 60's most MLB teams started night games at 8 PM

PaulDrake
11-14-2005, 10:07 AM
In the 50's and 60's, Soldier Field was a white elephant, rarely used and rather run down. The Park District pumped some money into the facility to make it suitable for the Bears beginning in 1971. I used to attend some of the old Prep Bowl games held there. Mt. Carmel over Taft in 1960 despite the fact that Taft had five guys who would play in the NFL at one time or another. The Mighty Mendel Monarchs of 1968 over CVS, and back to back St. Rita winners in 1970 and 1971 over Lane and Morgan Park. St. Rita was a powerhouse that featured Billy Marek and Dennis Lick.

Fenway
11-14-2005, 10:14 AM
By that time, the rumors were increasing that the Cardinals would move. In 1958 they played a "home" game in Buffalo and in 1959 they played 2 "home" games in Minneapolis. The rationale the front office gave was they wanted to expand their Chicago television market but my father has told me the fans saw through it ... Warner Wolfner and his wife were generally despised as owners and no one was surprised when they pulled up stakes in Feb. 1960 to St. Louis.

In 1958 Tom Yawkey wanted out of Fenway Park and argeed to move to a new stadium that would be built south of Boston in Norwood, Ma. The deal depended on getting a NFL team back in Boston after 2 failed attempts. The owner of the New York Giants Tim Mara promised he could deliver an existing team and in newspaper accounts of the day the team mentioned was the Cardinals but for some reason the whole deal fell apart. At that point Billy Sullivan then cast his lot with the new AFL and the Patriots were born.

Fenway Park was not so great for football either as this picture shows

http://www.patriots.com/imagestore/img08_000001.gif

Fenway
11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
One thing always puzzled me about the old park. Why on earth would people pay General Admission and then spent the entire game playing pinball or video games in the Left Field picnic area :?:

PaulDrake
11-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Tremendous insight by Jim H. FWIW let me add my own views. In the 50's and 60's we lived in several N and NW side neighborhoods. It was the go go era and the Sox ruled Chicago. There were many Sox fans all over the city at that time. Our Little League had its annual baseball outing at Comiskey Park. Another poster (I can't remember who) mentioned a while back that many north side Irish cheered for the Sox. In north side parishes like St. Ita and St. Gertrude in Edgewater, and St. Ignatius and St. Jerome in Rogers Park there were a good number of Sox fans. Football is another story. I started following the NFL in 1958. As a kid we hardly knew the Cardinals existed. A long time friend of mine who lived in Archer Heights on the SW side most of his life told me that by the mid and late 50's the Cardinals fan base had diminished greatly on the south side. Yeah Halas wanted Chicago for his very own but the Bidwills didn't do their team or their fans any favors. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh here. Charles Bidwill built a winner (1947) but when he died it was all downhill after that.

JimH
11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
A long time friend of mine who lived in Archer Heights on the SW side most of his life told me that by the mid and late 50's the Cardinals fan base had diminished greatly on the south side. Yeah Halas wanted Chicago for his very own but the Bidwills didn't do their team or their fans any favors. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh here. Charles Bidwill built a winner (1947) but when he died it was all downhill after that.

Very true.

To add one thing about the Bears move to Soldier Field, the NFL brought in a minimum stadium capacity rule in 1970 and Wrigley didn't meet the criteria. And yes, the Monday Nite Football situation was another reason to move.

On the Chicago Cardinals ownership situation ... after Bidwell died just before the '47 championship, his wife Violet Bidwell then became owner until such time as the kids (Bill and Stormy) became old enough. Violet remarried, a guy named Warner Wolfner, and he basically ran things. Relationships turned contentious in the front office ... no one got along ... and it was problem after problem after problem.

The Cardinals were rumored to be moving just about everywhere, starting is 1953, 1954 - until they actually moved. Minneapolis, Buffalo, Dallas, St. Louis. Wolfner always denied and denied but the Chicago media would always report him being in other cities and meeting with civic leaders, etc. Between that and all the losing, the fan base was disgusted. My dad said they probably had 20,000 hard core fans, and that wasn't enough.

When they got rebuffed in their attempt to play in Dyche Stadium, that was the final straw. 1959 was really a lame duck year and at that point it was a question of St. Louis or Minneapolis.

The Cardinals last game as the Chicago Cardinals took place on Dec. 13, 1959 vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. The last home game was a few weeks before vs. the Bears at Soldier Field.

Sox-on-TV44
11-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks Bill

This is my version of the "Gates of heaven".And Bill Veeck is waiting for me up there.

Vernam
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Nope. Back then night games started at 8:00 p.m. and twi-night doubleheaders started at 6:00.The later start time was possible during the pre-Fisk era, before games averaged 3-hours plus. :cool: Can you even imagine regularly scheduled twi-night doubleheaders now? Hard enough getting home before midnight for just the 9 innings.

Vernam

DenverSock
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
God I miss the old park! :whiner::whiner:

Norberto7
11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
http://images.suntimes.com/photos/images/large_versions/1970s_sports/11.jpg

Apollo Creed played Roller Derby? :tongue:

TornLabrum
11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
The main reason for the move to Soldiers Field was that if the Bears wanted to be on Monday Night Football, they needed lights which was a problem at Wrigley

Lights for night games were also a problem at Soldier Field for years. The one "big" event there used to be the College All-Star Game (featuring the previous year's top seniors vs. the current NFL champions). The game had to be telecast in glorious black and white because the lights weren't bright enough for color.

tebman
11-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Lights for night games were also a problem at Soldier Field for years. The one "big" event there used to be the College All-Star Game (featuring the previous year's top seniors vs. the current NFL champions). The game had to be telecast in glorious black and white because the lights weren't bright enough for color.
I remember that! At the time I only had a B&W TV anyway, but I remember apologetic remarks by the play-by-play guys about the lack of color. They seemed to bring it up every three minutes, making it clear that there was nothing wrong with the viewer's set or the network, but that Soldier Field had substandard lighting.

I also remember driving by Soldier Field and seeing temporary lights from truck beds parked outside. That would've been in the '70s.

The Park District clearly didn't see Soldier Field as a priority in those days.

CluelessJoe1919
11-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Man this thread takes me back.
I loved Old Comiskey and I remember how I nearly lost my breath when I went to the new ballpark for the first time and saw the entire right side of the old park torn down, leaving a view of the ripped apart inside of the stadium.

As for the Cardinals, I covered the Arizona Cardinals from 1998-2001 and I remember owner Bill Bidwill as a huge Sox fan.

It's nice to see threads that go down memory lane. I wish there were more.
PS, does anyone know how to get even a small replica of the old scoreboard? I still get goosebumps seeing pictures of it.

Hitmen77
11-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Does anyone remember a few years ago, when the city and the Bears were trying to work a stadium deal and Mayor Daley threw out a pipe dream suggestion that a 2nd NFL franchise move to Chicago to provide enough games to make a new stadium financially viable?

I don't think anyone took that seriously, but it did seem to bring back memories of the days when Chicago was a 2-team town.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-18-2005, 11:52 AM
The later start time was possible during the pre-Fisk era, before games averaged 3-hours plus. :cool: Can you even imagine regularly scheduled twi-night doubleheaders now? Hard enough getting home before midnight for just the 9 innings.

Vernam

Records show that a Richard Dotson-Carlton Fisk game took the longest out of any pitcher-catcher combo in baseball. Average time is something like 3 hours & 30 minutes for those two. Fisk & Floyd Bannister was another combo that went over 3 hours.
That's "average time", not just for one game.

HChappasJr
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Lip

You got everything right except the pitcher, it's Ross Baumgarten not Trout. My Dad and I were at that game and I still have the program where I kept score.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Ross Baumgarten was the losing pitcher in the first game I ever saw in person; fittingly for that comment, against the Brewers.

May 4th, 1980 (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198005040CHA)

Here's the box score for the home opener; April 14th, 1981 (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198104140CHA).

IUPeterman
11-18-2005, 12:43 PM
That picture of Fenway is really interesting. It looks like there are seats in left field where the monster is. I guess they just wedged in temporary bleachers just in front of the monster?

Hitmen77
11-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Here's the box score for the home opener; April 14th, 1981 (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198104140CHA).

Ah, I remember that game well: Fisk: ab-4, h-1, r-1, rbi-4. Fisk hits a grand slam in his Comiskey Park debut as a member of the White Sox.

DannyCaterFan
11-18-2005, 05:38 PM
This has been a great post, particularly for someone my age (53). The Cardinals left town shortly before I really started rooting for the Sox in 1960. I always wondered what it would have been like to watch the Cardinals in old Comiskey. I am a Bears fan today, but had I had a choice while growing up, I am sure I would have rooted for the Cards instead. I can remember going to Sox games in the early 70's, and while walking under the stands noticed a storage area down the left field line where they kept some of the old equipment used for football games. That area was covered up by a locked green door usually, but on occasion it would be open and I could see sections of the scoreboard, clock, and other Cardinal's stuff in there.
On another note, I also remember Sox night games starting at 8:00. Those games however rarely lasted longer than 2-1/2 hours. The starting time was changed in the early seventies to 7:30, and eventually 7:00 to accomodate TV and newspaper deadlines. Over the last few years, I have wondered if a later starting time today would have helped attendance. I also went to many of those 6:00 twi-nighters back in the sixties. Never got home before 12:30 AM, but loved every minute of them.

doublem23
11-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Oh fenway... Speaking like a true out-of-towner. :cool:

http://store.chicagobears.com/images/products/mediumimages/chicagobears_1805_6823522m.gif

soxrme
11-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Your guess is correct.
yes it was 1976 and it was hilarious. They came out of the center field bullpen and the place went crazy. I believe Paul Richards was one of the other ones. He was at the actual signing of the constitution right before he managed the Sox the first time:D:

Brian26
11-19-2005, 09:28 PM
One thing always puzzled me about the old park. Why on earth would people pay General Admission and then spent the entire game playing pinball or video games in the Left Field picnic area :?:

I think that question still holds true today. There are plenty of people who pay for a ticket and stand on the concourse next to the beer stand with their back to the field or hang out in the Bullpen Bar drinking and playing Golden Tee. Whatever floats your boat.

Fenway
11-21-2005, 03:54 PM
That picture of Fenway is really interesting. It looks like there are seats in left field where the monster is. I guess they just wedged in temporary bleachers just in front of the monster?

Yes, the Patriots bought the stands from the Phillies who used them when Shibe Park hosted football. They were the best seats for football

http://www.bpl.org/store/IMGs/STMedium/tm_st10786.jpg

The Red Sox evicted the Patriots after 1968 when Billy Sullivan suggested astroturf. Legend has it Tom Yawkey threw him down the stairs he was so enraged by the thought.

DenverSock
11-22-2005, 10:31 AM
In the 50's and 60's, Soldier Field was a white elephant, rarely used and rather run down. The Park District pumped some money into the facility to make it suitable for the Bears beginning in 1971.

What was Soldier Field used for prior to the Bears? College football?