PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will be our DH in 06

Whitesox4ever
11-12-2005, 10:37 AM
I have a feeling its going to be Nomar Garciaparra..

RallyBowl
11-12-2005, 10:45 AM
:bundy :threadsucks

soxfanatlanta
11-12-2005, 10:46 AM

C'mon, man! You can't just throw a post like that and not explain it!!

Seriously...what makes you say that? Do you think he would be happy sitting on the bench most of the game? He is not a classicla DH type, known more for his doubles than anything.

Was'up with that?

Whitesox4ever
11-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I heard Jayson Stark on XM radio saying that Kenny Williams is a huge fan of Garciaparra and that they're talking to his agent.

I think Nomar can DH a few games a week as well as being a backup for Uribe&Crede plus he would come cheaply. If healthy Nomar can be a big bat for us in 06

veeter
11-12-2005, 11:13 AM
KW is a fan of the old Nomar. Not the broken down Nomar.

Chips
11-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I heard Jayson Stark on XM radio saying that Kenny Williams is a huge fan of Garciaparra and that they're talking to his agent.

I think Nomar can DH a few games a week as well as being a backup for Uribe&Crede plus he would come cheaply. If healthy Nomar can be a big bat for us in 06

I think you've had too many hits from this:

:bong:

whitesoxfan
11-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Frank Thomas. No deep-pink required.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately what some fans refuse to accept is that Frank is coming off two major injuries in the last two seasons and he's 37. He'll re-sign with the Sox, but how much he can play and what he can produce are now legit questions.

The Sox need to be sure they have someone who can play and perform if Frank goes down again. That's just the way it is.

I have no idea who they will get but they need to get someone. To 'rely' on Frank being healthy and productive at this point is a major risk.

Lip

RallyBowl
11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately what some fans refuse to accept is that Frank is coming off two major injuries in the last two seasons and he's 37. He'll re-sign with the Sox, but how much he can play and what he can produce are now legit questions.

The Sox need to be sure they have someone who can play and perform if Frank goes down again. That's just the way it is.

I have no idea who they will get but they need to get someone. To 'rely' on Frank being healthy and productive at this point is a major risk.

Lip

Agreed, but surely the someone is not Nomar.

Chips
11-12-2005, 01:21 PM

Lip

Nomar is also a risk, we will not be signing him. I would rather KW sign Carl Everett again before he even talked to Nomar's agent.

WestSox
11-12-2005, 01:47 PM

:roflmao:

I want Mags back
11-12-2005, 02:17 PM
There's this guy who wears no. 35...

Jjav829
11-12-2005, 02:52 PM

In a thread a little while back I said that it wouldn't surprise me to see Nomar on the Sox in a role where he DHs a couple times a week and gives Crede and Uribe days off. Nomar and Mia just built a house in Winnetka, I believe. They seem to want to stay in Chicago, but I'm not sure the interest is mutual as far as the Cubs are concerned. The question is whether any team will want Nomar as their shortstop. I'll quickly go through all 30 teams.

These teams would have no interest in Nomar as a shortstop due to the player they already have at the position: Yankees (Jeter), Red Sox (Renteria), Orioles (Tejada), Indians (Peralta), Tigers (Guillen), Athletics (Crosby), Angels (Cabrera), Rangers (Young), Phillies (Rollins), Mets (Reyes), Giants (Vizquel), Rockies (Barmes). That's 12 of 30 teams you can cross off because their shortstop is either better or locked in to a big deal.

Now add in some teams that Nomar would likely not want to play for since they don't figure to be contenders next year: Devil Rays, Royals, Pirates, Reds. That 16 out of 30 eliminated so far.

A couple teams have young shortstops that they would probably rather stick with than sign Nomar: Padres (Greene), Dodgers (Izturis), Brewers (Hardy), Blue Jays (Adams), White Sox (Uribe). Now we're at 21 out of 30 teams that likely wouldn't want Nomar as their shortstop.

There are two free agent shortstops (Furcal, Alex Gonzalez) that will likely sign with one of these 9 teams: Cubs, Braves, Marlins, Twins, Mariners, Nationals, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Astros. Let's say Furcal goes to the Cubs and Gonzalez returns to the Marlins. The Nationals probably couldn't sign Nomar unless they trade Guzman. The Diamondbacks might go back to Clayton or start Cintron. If the Braves lose Furcal they would likely go with Betemit. The Cardinals have Eckstein, though I think they could possibly move him to second if they like Nomar. I suppose the Mariners are a possibility, but keep in mind Nomar's bother Michael is a minor-league infielder in the Mariners organization. I don't know which way Nomar would look at that. He might enjoy the possibility of potentially playing with his brother; He might not want to block his brother's path to the majors. That leaves the Twins and Astros. Given Nomar's injury history, I doubt he would want to play over half his games on turf. Houston seems like a real possibility given their need for offense. Adam Everett hasn't really done much to secure his job.

So where does that leave Nomar? There is a possibility something unforeseen happens. I don't mean to make it sound like there is no room for Nomar at shortstop besides for the Astros. Some team might really like him and decide to make room by moving their current shortstop. Otherwise it seems like Nomar is going to have to make a position change. Nomar might welcome a job on an AL team where he is the DH for most of the time and gets out to the field a couple of teams a week.

TomBradley72
11-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Ozzie has made it clear...he wants to get "younger and faster"....so I don't think Nomar is the answer...and I'm beginning to think Frank isn't either...at his age...and size...missing nearly two years...I think he's becoming a long shot....and is very likely to break down again at some point in the season. I wish I was wrong...but I think that's the reality.

nodiggity59
11-12-2005, 03:53 PM
I think Nomar is exactly the kind of guy KW might look at: talented but at the lowest dip of value. Nomar will never reach his former heights, but it's reasonable he will at least play a few more full seasons at a .280/25/85 level.

I would welcome him in a Carl role next year at a similar price, though perhaps incentives would be necesary. This guy is excellent insurance for Crede, can spell Uribe, possibly play in left if Pods has continued leg problems, and of course DH.

Nomar was bad for the Cubs b/c they depended on him at a critical position. He could be great for us in more of a supplementary role. Plus, he just a built a house in Chi town, which will give KW some contract leverage.

Obviously most of the Sox's moves depend on what happens w/ PK, but I'd like to see this avenue explored.

Ventura Fan 23
11-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I truly hope Frank Thomas, but Ozzie's need for speed makes me somewhat doubt it, and makes me have sad thoughts and preminitions of Joe Borchard at DH :whiner:

ChiSoxIn06
11-12-2005, 06:47 PM
i agree with the frank comment that he may not be the answer but he at least deserves the chance IMO. If he does break down for the last time why not go for a guy like bill mueller...hes can play the field if needed and has a decent bad.

nccwsfan
11-12-2005, 08:33 PM
My guess is that the DH will be someone that they acquire through trade or free agency. IF Frank Thomas comes back he'll DH here and there, but as for a long term option I have no idea.

I do know that it won't be Nomar Garciaparra....

nodiggity59
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
My guess is that the DH will be someone that they acquire through trade or free agency. IF Frank Thomas comes back he'll DH here and there, but as for a long term option I have no idea.

I do know that it won't be Nomar Garciaparra....

Whoever the DH is, I hope it's a stopgap for sure. CC, Frank, Nomar.....these are good stopgap options. I want no part of signing a guy to a multi year deal just to DH on the long term. Hell, PK could get injured and be restricted to DH if we re sign him.

Frater Perdurabo
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
If Konerko stays, or leaves and is replaced by Helton/Delgado/Giles/etc., and the Sox sign Furcal, the DH could be rotated among all the position players to rest them while keeping them in the lineup - until Frank is ready to return!

TheDarkGundam
11-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Sosa's available, isn't he?

Realist
11-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I think I'm gonna say it's gonna be Frank with Borchard as a back up.

[somebody help me. I'm becoming a FOLTP]

ChiSoxIn06
11-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Sosa's available, isn't he?

he is and i have a feeling he will be for a long time

TomBradley72
11-12-2005, 09:32 PM
why not go for a guy like bill mueller...hes can play the field if needed and has a decent bad.

Would be a nice pick up...LH stick to platoon with Crede/PK + DH....

caulfield12
11-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Would be a nice pick up...LH stick to platoon with Crede/PK + DH....

Kevin Mench is my sleeper-dark horse in this.

The Rangers tried to trade him to the Royals for Jimmy Gobble a couple of years ago, and the Royals turned it down.

Another stupid move by Alard Baird, one of many.

The Rangers have a lot of young hitters they are trying to get into that line-up at the same time, like Adrian Gonzalez.

DickAllen72
11-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Kevin Mench is my sleeper-dark horse in this.

I like Mench, but I think the Sox are going to try to get a LH hitter.

BTW, the Cubs are rumored to be very interested in Mench.

Chicken Dinner
11-13-2005, 03:05 PM

Why does everyone keep saying and thinking that Joe Borchard is going to make the club?? The guy can't hit. He hasn't done anything in the big leagues except for 1 giant homer at the cell. If you recall, the guy even got cut by the Mexican League last winter. Borchard WILL NOT be a White Sox next year.

samram
11-13-2005, 03:18 PM

We're talking about unchecked delusion here, dude.:D:

As for Nomar, I think people are overlooking the fact that this is a weak free agent class. Therefore, most of the possible additions through free agency will not be looked upon favorably. I don't know what his plans or the Sox's plans are, but I can't say I know he won't be on the team just because he's not a superstar anymore, which is what I believe the case is for several posters in this thread. Remember that the Sox tried to trade for him before 2004 as well.

ChiSoxIn06
11-13-2005, 03:42 PM
i wouldnt mind if they signed mench...the guy can hit and would put up similiar numbers to the ones everett put up this year.

Domeshot17
11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Heres probably some of the better DH possibilities on the FA market: Piazza, Nomar, Everett, Thomas ( techinically, hes on the market), Reggie Sanders. I am leaving off guys who will surely have a position like Giles and Furcal.

Bill Mueller is a poor, poor DH. As a back up IF I like him cheap, as a DH, no way. He would take a lesser contract to play 3rd, my guess is he winds up in minnesota. Hes got a great glove, but his bat is on a decline.

Nomar, if he stays healthy, is a solid one year option. Unless a team in need gets into an overpriced bidding war, its a road that should be explored. If he signed a 1.5 mil incentive based deal up to 7, its a good gamble. Keep in mind, for everyone saying HE IS INJURY PRONE AND GETTING OLD, WE SHOULD KEEP THE BIG HURT, its not like the Hurt is getting any younger, or will be 100% by seaons GO. I love Frank don't get me wrong, but the days of him being able to even DH 6 games a week are gone, so a guy like Nomar that can DH 3, play SS for 2, and maybe 3rd or the OF for 1 or 2 ( would vary by week) would not be a bad addition. When he is healthy, the guy can hit. Now no one is saying he is the SS he once was, but he will post better numbers than Carl, wont be as lazy on the bases, and can serve as a utility role as well.

Piazza brings more of the ITS ALL ABOUT ME attitude to the locker room, We wont be going down that path. Reggie Sanders is Intruiging, but my guess is he stays in the national league, and someone will let him roam LF.

I am one of the many that think the Carl Everett experience should be done. We can get his numbers (.250 23 87) cheaper on the market or in trade. You need more than that out of a 3 4 or 5 hitter. Even at 6 Everett was not happy, and had no extra base hits in the post season. If you want to bring him back to be the timo role this year, I am fine with that, but not an everyday player.

Frank is a 4 day a week DH now. I still think playing in 100-125 games this year he can put him 25+ home runs, but he is going to need his rest, and we need a solid utility guy that can give us those other 40-60 games at DH, and gives us another 30-35 in the field, more or less depending on injuries. I think Nomar is versatile enough to provide that, again, its a risk if he stays healthy, but just as much as Frank is.

MadetoOrta
11-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't spend much time watching the cubs, but I seem to recall Garciaparra hit the ball a ton last spring and was hoping for a huge season before he got hurt. Anyone else remember that? There's nothing like a superstar athlete playing for a big contract. If it doesn't cost much, it might work. By the way, when healthy wouldn't we all agree he's a #3 hitter? The guy could rake.

Taliesinrk
11-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Frank is a 4 day a week DH now. I still think playing in 100-125 games this year he can put him 25+ home runs, but he is going to need his rest, and we need a solid utility guy that can give us those other 40-60 games at DH, and gives us another 30-35 in the field, more or less depending on injuries. I think Nomar is versatile enough to provide that, again, its a risk if he stays healthy, but just as much as Frank is.

Am I the only one who thinks that Frank suffered a nasty injury (Especially for a guy as big as he is) and merely needs the time it takes for it to heal. After said time, he still has a possible 3-4 solid, powerful seaons left ahead of him. I don't know... it just seems as though everyone thinks that this injury has taken away everything else he's ever done. He's 37, not 42....

flo-B-flo
11-13-2005, 09:32 PM

Lip Yes Lip all true. But it is in my dream that Big Frank leads the Sox to another championship. If he can run, I'm hopin' for Big Frank.

flo-B-flo
11-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't spend much time watching the cubs, but I seem to recall Garciaparra hit the ball a ton last spring and was hoping for a huge season before he got hurt. Anyone else remember that? There's nothing like a superstar athlete playing for a big contract. If it doesn't cost much, it might work. By the way, when healthy wouldn't we all agree he's a #3 hitter? The guy could rake. I like Nomar. When not hurt he can play. Is he worth what you gotta pay?

D. TODD
11-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Frank suffered a nasty injury (Especially for a guy as big as he is) and merely needs the time it takes for it to heal. After said time, he still has a possible 3-4 solid, powerful seaons left ahead of him. I don't know... it just seems as though everyone thinks that this injury has taken away everything else he's ever done. He's 37, not 42.... A nasty foot injury for a guy his size dose not just go away. At this point he will be the Bill Walton of baseball. Thank god it happened later in his career. Depending on the price Nomar is a very viable option. I love Frank and all that he has given to the franchise, but at this point he is a poor risk for your dh.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-14-2005, 06:11 AM
I think the Sox will look to Thomas first, if he's healthy. They may also use a rotating DH, using the spot to add speed, provide some good pop, and give a fellow a day off. Nomar fits half that bill. Because of their recent injury histories, having both Thomas and Nomar on the roster is not possible. I think they will try really hard to fill the spot from within the organization first, if Thomas is injured again. If they sign Nomar, and he gets hurt, look for June trade. I won't be surprised if this position still up in the air, or by committee, come opening day. Niether Thomas nor Nomar add speed.

nccwsfan
11-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Frank suffered a nasty injury (Especially for a guy as big as he is) and merely needs the time it takes for it to heal. After said time, he still has a possible 3-4 solid, powerful seaons left ahead of him. I don't know... it just seems as though everyone thinks that this injury has taken away everything else he's ever done. He's 37, not 42....

The CWS would need to make an arbitration offer to him by 12/7, otherwise Hurt cannot sign with the team until 5/1/2006. The thought of them making an informed medical decision on this in 3 weeks seems unlikely to me.

My best guess is that Frank will be playing elsewhere in 2006 :(: . He will always be a CWS to me and will hopefully get the farewell he deserves (should this be true)....

ChiSoxIn06
11-14-2005, 09:05 AM
im a little suprised no one has brought up the name Ken Griffey Jr. If they could land him you could move rowand to right and have dye be your DH..only problem is that dye has a hell of an arm that would be useful in RF.

OEO Magglio
11-14-2005, 09:41 AM
im a little suprised no one has brought up the name Ken Griffey Jr. If they could land him you could move rowand to right and have dye be your DH..only problem is that dye has a hell of an arm that would be useful in RF.
Would not surprise me one bit if the Sox land Griffey, in fact that would be my guess. The Reds have their new ownership in place now and they can revisit the deal they had completed before the trade deadline.

CluelessJoe1919
11-23-2005, 02:44 PM
There's this guy who wears no. 35...
I haven't kept up on Ordonez's situation with Detroit. Don't the Tigers have an out clause if they don't want to keep him?
Does anyone know if Maggs is a free agent?

ChiSoxIn06
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
im gonna go with jim thome as our DH lol

nlentz88
11-23-2005, 04:58 PM
im gonna go with jim thome as our DH lol

Ha! Nice.

DaleJRFan
11-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Carlos Delgado

ShoelessJoeS
11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Carlos Delgado
:rolling: I think this question is now answered.

Jjav829
11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Is it too late to say Aaron Rowand? :?:

Tragg
11-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Would not surprise me one bit if the Sox land Griffey, in fact that would be my guess. The Reds have their new ownership in place now and they can revisit the deal they had completed before the trade deadline.
That deal involved Chris YOung. No thanks.
We only increase salary by a net $3 million in this by my calculation; plenty of money for Konerko's raise and another FA. Need to use the FA market.

TheDarkGundam
11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I have the strangest feeling that our new DH will be...

Jim Thome.

Not like that will ever happen!

EDIT: I was too lazy to check if someone had beat me to it. They did.

mike squires
11-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Just what we need, two injury prone guys in the lineup (Thome and Griffey) I'll take a pass.

Thome is your DH. Konerko is at first.

No more major deals please. Some changes HAD to take place, that's just the way it is. BUT, you can't totally disrupt this team.

ChiSoxIn06
11-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Just what we need, two injury prone guys in the lineup (Thome and Griffey) I'll take a pass.

Thome is your DH. Konerko is at first.

No more major deals please. Some changes HAD to take place, that's just the way it is. BUT, you can't totally disrupt this team.

made the comment like a week ago...it has no relevance now

jerry myers
11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
i think konerko is coming back, so our new man is it. thomas god bless, thank you and good luck.

gowhitesox
11-25-2005, 11:36 AM
i think konerko is coming back, so our new man is it. thomas god bless, thank you and good luck.

I also have a feeling that Konerko is coming back, which would put Thome as the DH. Which would mean that Frank Thomas wouldn't be coming back, would love to see the Big Hurt back but it will all boil down to what Konerko decides to do.