PDA

View Full Version : More ESPN bias: Konerko will end up w/Red Sox

WSoxFanForever
11-12-2005, 08:25 AM
This was from their moronic fake syndicated press conference. Steve Phillips is no actor, btw.

The reason cited was that Konerko's value went up because of his post season performance so now "big market" teams will think he's worth paying big $$$ for.

sox84
11-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Should we all file this oninion in the trash along with Gammons whining that Rivera didnt get the Cy Young? (Though I must reluctantly somewhat agree that Rivera was deserving also, its just that EVERYTHING must revolve around Boston and New York for these people!)

MadetoOrta
11-12-2005, 08:51 AM
I get the feeling ESPN does this to get a rise out of us. Who *&%$ cares? Please. Don't fall for the trap. We're World Champs. I read somewhere that the guys were razzing PK after the 3-game sweep about "this is your home next year" and he firmly said "that'll never happen." Can I see PK in LA? Yes. Arizona? Yes. Boston? No. No one puts more pressure on himself to succeed than PK. In Boston, he would melt. It's either LA, Anaheim or the Sox.

LongLiveFisk
11-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Blah, blah, blah...typical ESPN. I would have to see that to believe it. If anything he wants to be closer to home (Arizona). I think that clearly eliminates Boston.

veeter
11-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Blah, blah, blah...typical ESPN. I would have to see that to believe it. If anything he wants to be closer to home (Arizona). I think that clearly eliminates Boston. I agree. The fact that espn thinks he's going to Boston is the clincher. espn is usually a torrid 4% correct on their free agent destination GUESSES.

nccwsfan
11-12-2005, 09:06 AM
The Red Sox might need to a) get a GM and b) take care of their "other" order of business first....

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5132.jpg
"I want a trade. No I don't, yes I do, no I don't, yes I do, no I don't"....

ChiSoxIn06
11-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Everything ive read or seen on tv has pointed to PK coming back to chicago...i was impressed with the sox initial offer and believe they will do whatever it takes to bring him back...and also he doesnt have boras as an agent which is a huge plus for the sox lol.

Fenway
11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
just that EVERYTHING must revolve around Boston and New York for these people!)

From ESPN Bristol, CT
to Yankee Stadium
98.00 miles
to Fenway Park
118.57 miles
to USCF
872.64 miles

:smile:

Steelrod
11-12-2005, 09:29 AM
If Paulie is who we think he is, he'll end up back in Chicago. He and his family will be set up for many lifetimes no matter where he goes. 4 or 5 years doesn't matter. 50-60 million doesn't matter.
He is the king of Chicago, and his teammates are his family. Marketing opportunities just await his decision to stay, so money isn't an issue. He has the challenge of a repeat.
If he loves Chicago and his team as he says, and as long as we don't insult him with our offer, he'll be back.
If the above is true and he leaves, then this is all about GREED, then good riddance. I don't believe this is the case, nor will happen.
We will see!

WSoxFanForever
11-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Oh, yes. Steve "don't quit your day job" Phillips also said, in his fake interview, "The White Sox blew it by not signing Konerko last year." Lord, I hate ESPN spin. My son had turned it on or it wouldn't have been polluting my living room.

Fenway
11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
The Steve Phillips GM bit maybe the stupidest thing they have ever done in Bristol.

http://www.bristol-chamber.org/ESPN-Logo.jpg (http://www.bristol-chamber.org/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/bristol.htm/map)

LongLiveFisk
11-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Oh, yes. Steve "don't quit your day job" Phillips also said, in his fake interview, "The White Sox blew it by not signing Konerko last year." Lord, I hate ESPN spin. My son had turned it on or it wouldn't have been polluting my living room.

Unless he meant "blew it" in the sense that they could have locked him in for a lot less money last year (?)

soxfanatlanta
11-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Steve Phillips has already been thourouglly discredited on this site, with some great evidence. The man has a history of some real bad deals.

He is irrelevant to the real negotiations going on, and he just can't stand it. So he stages these train wreck spots, which is making him look even worse.

I hate to sound so negative, let me say something nice about him...

Um...

I like his suit.

There, much better.

:redneck

RallyBowl
11-12-2005, 10:52 AM
We really need a **** ESPN tag.

johnny_mostil
11-12-2005, 10:53 AM
This was from their moronic fake syndicated press conference. Steve Phillips is no actor, btw.

The reason cited was that Konerko's value went up because of his post season performance so now "big market" teams will think he's worth paying big $$$ for.

Actually, it's completely superficially logical that the Red Sox should want Konerko. It's probably not going to happen, because:

Konerko supposedly hates Fenway,
Boston has no General Manager and Konerko won't wait for that soap opera to climax,
Boston's stathead advisors will sensibly whisper "not worth it", and
Exactly how happy is David Ortiz going to be with another 1B/DH type on the Red Sox making more than twice as much money for similar career and season numbers?
Translation: they just can't really go there.

johnny_mostil
11-12-2005, 10:56 AM
. It's either LA, Anaheim or the Sox.

LA's owner is allegedly hemorraging money and they don't have a GM right now, either. Anaheim realistically can only offer him the DH position for the long term and he doesn't want that (and the rumor in LA is they are going to offer 10 million a year).

ssirish317
11-12-2005, 11:51 AM
The Sox win the whole damn thing, yet ESPN does fake press conferences for the Dodgers and Scrubs this week?? I can understand doing NYY, Boston and even Houston considering that they were in the World Series, but doing the Dodgers and Scrubs over the reigning World Champs is a slap in the face. I didn't think I could have any less respect for ESPN, but they continue to prove me wrong.

jdm2662
11-12-2005, 11:54 AM
The Angels had Tim Salmon's $10 million come off the books this year. I can see the Angels offering that to Konerko, and maybe a little more. I really can't see anyone going over $12-13 million unless they are really desperate.

SoxFan76
11-12-2005, 04:21 PM
That would be weird to see him in a Dodger uniform again...

SOXSINCE'70
11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
That would be weird to see him in a Dodger uniform again...

True,but stranger things have happened.

SABRSox
11-12-2005, 06:32 PM
We really need a **** ESPN tag.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2708&stc=1

Erik The Red
11-12-2005, 07:27 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2708&stc=1
That's genius!!!

Fredsox
11-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Lest anyone forget, here is a link to the playoff predictions of the geniuses in Bristol CT.http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2179945

To cement this, here are additional ESPN geniuses with their pre-season calls for 2005:
http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/story?storyId=2034694

Let's face it. These guys just aren't that smart, they aren't very good journalists, and their ability to see into the future seems limited.
To sum up, these guys don't know much more about Konerko than we do. I'd ignore them.

Banix12
11-12-2005, 10:24 PM

I still can't blame Kenny for not giving a big contract to Konerko in the preseason. Sure he had a good 2004 but he was still only a year removed from that horrendous 2003. Probably wanted to make sure he was still getting the right Konerko. Now it looks like a dumb move but back in the preseason I agreed with the idea of waiting.

Oh well, ESPN is the master of hindsight.

pissonthecubs
11-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I am so tired of all of this crap! So what ESPN says or the blowholes think about our WORLD CHAMPS SOX! Just like when any Flubs fan wants to say anything to you now, just brush it off your shoulder. I think we all know that Kenny Williams is going to do everything in his power to put the best team out there at the cell on opening day for ozzie to manage. I think PK will be back and Kenny will make one big trade this offseason that will catch everyone off guard.