PDA

View Full Version : Twins possibly interested in Frank

Vernam
11-12-2005, 01:48 AM
According to Dave van Dyck: link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051111sox,1,40473.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed). It says:

And the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported the Twins mightórepeat, mightóhave interest in Frank Thomas (White Sox), Nomar Garciaparra (Cubs) or Mike Piazza (Mets) as a DH.

GM Terry Ryan was quoted as saying about those three: "I'm not going to address anybody specifically. But I would say, if it's somebody who can hit or drive the ball, we're interested."

There's only one uniform I can picture Frank wearing, and the Twins' just about tops the list of uniforms I couldn't bear to see him wear.

The story is mostly about Konerko, but I figured we have enough of those threads already. :rolleyes:

Vernam

Banix12
11-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Considering his past health problems, If the twins did sign him how fast do you think his ankle is going to get hurt again running the bases on that carpet they call a field.

Of course I can probably say that about any playing surface he runs on.

MadetoOrta
11-12-2005, 08:02 AM
There's a constant with Frank, Nomar and Piazza - they're all old, frail and likely will all receive only incentive-laden contracts. The silver lining is the Twins aren't opening a checkbook to get back into the race to win the Central.

DumpJerry
11-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Of course the Twins are interesting in Big Frank. If you were the GM of a AL team that is on a downwward slide wouldn't you be interested in a guy who can punch a hole in the sky every time he steps up?

That sound you hear in the background is Frank laughing at the thought of him in a Twinkies uni.............

The Racehorse
11-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Of course the Twins are interesting in Big Frank. If you were the GM of a AL team that is on a downwward slide wouldn't you be interested in a guy who can punch a hole in the sky every time he steps up?

In the Humpty Dump, it would be called "punching a hole in the ceiling of an oversized rec-room called the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome". :D:

Tragg
11-12-2005, 11:03 AM
I would think nearly every AL team would want him; they figure they can give him a no-risk incentive contract.

Vernam
11-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I would think nearly every AL team would want him; they figure they can give him a no-risk incentive contract.Also, due to the buyout, whatever the Sox might pay Frank is effectively $3.5M higher than what any other team would need to offer to match them. For the Sox, that money's gone and doesn't count against Frank's actual 2006 salary.

Vernam

Tragg
11-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Also, due to the buyout, whatever the Sox might pay Frank is effectively $3.5M higher than what any other team would need to offer to match them. For the Sox, that money's gone and doesn't count against Frank's actual 2006 salary.

Vernam

That's sunk cost - the Sox shouldn't consider that when deciding whether to sign Frank.

I'd say, human ego what it is, it will be easier for another team to lowball/incentivize Frank and get his signature than the Sox.

antitwins13
11-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Oh no!!!!!!:bundy

RKMeibalane
11-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Am I the only one laughing at the thought of Frank beating the **** out of Torii Hunter every day?

Flight #24
11-12-2005, 11:05 PM
That's sunk cost - the Sox shouldn't consider that when deciding whether to sign Frank.

I'd say, human ego what it is, it will be easier for another team to lowball/incentivize Frank and get his signature than the Sox.

I think the reverse. For similar money, Frank's going to want to stay in Chicago. He likes the org & team, and I think he likes the prospect of going into the Hall having played only for the Sox.

Only way he's not back is if his health doesn't allow the Sox to make an offer in time for arb, then if he can't wait it out until May to sign. Similar to how they couldn't offer Maggs arb without knowing his condition.

Which would suck.

Tragg
11-12-2005, 11:33 PM
I think the reverse. For similar money, Frank's going to want to stay in Chicago. He likes the org & team, and I think he likes the prospect of going into the Hall having played only for the Sox.

Only way he's not back is if his health doesn't allow the Sox to make an offer in time for arb, then if he can't wait it out until May to sign. Similar to how they couldn't offer Maggs arb without knowing his condition.

Which would suck.

Of course, the risk was much higher with Maggs - talking about in excess of 10 Mill. What are we talking about guaranteed here - 3 max? Still, they probably would want some assurances.

I hope you're right that it's advantage Sox.

jabrch
11-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Minny's name will surface around a lot of older players with diminished skills. That's their budgetary reality. I can't see Frank leaving Chicago to go to Minny UNLESS the Sox decide not to make him a realistic offer because the management team deams his health to be too much a problem to be a viable concern to this team in 2006. If that's what Herm/KW/etc. say, then I'd miss Frank, and it would suck to see him in another team's jersey, but I'd rather than than waste 3-4 mm that could be used for a contributor.

Tragg
11-13-2005, 11:02 AM
If we don't sign Frank, I'd like to see him on the Royals.

I don't want him on a Beane team nor on a contender.

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I can't in my wildest imagination see Jerry Reinsdorf not ponying up $2-3M to re-sign Frank to an incentive deal for next year. It will probably be a one-year deal, and with all the playoff revenues from 2005, it's not even going to have to impact the 2006 budget. If he can't play, he can stay on the DL and not use up a roster spot. But Frank Thomas at 75% is better than most of the alternatives available.

RKMeibalane
11-13-2005, 04:30 PM
If we don't sign Frank, I'd like to see him on the Royals.

I don't want him on a Beane team nor on a contender.

I don't think he's going to end up on a contending team, unless said team isn't able to sign its first choice. Boston and New York already have several 1B/DH types, so they have no need of Thomas. Los Angeles is a possibility, but it's more likely that they will add Manny Ramirez if they can't sign Konerko away from the Sox. The Indians don't need, nor does Texas. If anything, the Rangers need to substract offense, both so they can add more pitching, and also so they can avoid logjams at several key positions.

Baltimore is a possibility, but I don't think they're going to risk it after what happened with Sosa this past season (Note: I am not comparing Thomas to Sosa). Other than that, I can't think of anywhere else he would go. The National League is off limits unless someone is extremely desperate for a bat, I do mean extremely desperate. Frank's best option is stay where he is. Chances are, he won't receive the same star treatment if he plays somewhere else, not at this stage of his career.

ma-gaga
11-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Am I the only one laughing at the thought of Frank beating the **** out of Torii Hunter every day?

Yeah, I think you are. Has Frank ever beaten up anyone? Has he ever crushed a second baseman? A catcher? Is he from the hood?

F.Thomas seems like a nice guy. Just has never figured out how to deal with the media, or how to successfully renegotiate a contract. That said, as much as I'd like to see the Twins get him, he belongs on one team.

:cool: