PDA

View Full Version : Jose For SI SportsMan of the Year?

Rudy Law
11-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Good little read....It will never happen...but still a good read

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/magazine/specials/sportsman/2005/11/10/jose.contreras/index.html

soxfanreggie
11-12-2005, 01:13 AM
I second it as a nice read.

IlliniSox4Life
11-12-2005, 01:18 AM
Good little read....It will never happen...but still a good read

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/magazine/specials/sportsman/2005/11/10/jose.contreras/index.html

I agree, a brilliant read and nice to see that somebody recognizes the White Sox of 2005 were a great team, but unfotunately it will never happen. I think the only way a white sox will win sportsman of the year is if Paulie signs with Boston or NY and SI gives it to him in order to hype him up. Otherwise, the entire team deserves it, but they won't get it.

zach074
11-12-2005, 07:58 AM
How about PK for sportsman of the year? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/magazine/specials/sportsman/2005/11/08/paul.konerko/index.html

MadetoOrta
11-12-2005, 08:13 AM
If 2 writers for Sports Illustrated dedicate their votes for Sportsman of the Year to a member of the White Sox, shouldn't the TEAM be awarded the honor and not some non-descript non-team sport athlete? This team is for the ages. We need to impress upon SI that this team deserves the recognition.

TomBradley72
11-12-2005, 09:49 AM
If 2 writers for Sports Illustrated dedicate their votes for Sportsman of the Year to a member of the White Sox, shouldn't the TEAM be awarded the honor and not some non-descript non-team sport athlete? This team is for the ages. We need to impress upon SI that this team deserves the recognition.

Wasn't the USA Olympic Hockey team the "Sportsman of the Year" in 1980 after the "Miracle on Ice"?

Huisj
11-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I read the title of this thread and thought maybe it was about Jose Canseco.

:canseco
"My book saved baseball."

FJA
11-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I read the title of this thread and thought maybe it was about Jose Canseco.

:canseco
"My book saved baseball."

That would be awful ... I think, however, that there are two controversial stories the sportsman might come from - T.O. and baseball amidst the steroids scandal. God help them if they award T.O., but maybe McNabb or Andy Reid for their parts in the story. Stupid choice, but not unnerving.

I think it's very unlikely they award the Sox as a team (even though we all know they deserve it) since last year it was the BoSox. I doubt they'll do the same thing two years in a row from a magazine selling standpoint. At the same time, there is no obvious or likely single part on these Sox.

If it goes baseball's way, I think it's going to be some idiot like Giambi, which one of their writers has already suggested. It would be provocative or rather, good for sales. Several other ways they could go with the steroid angle, but Giambi seems like the most likely. Really, the big story out of that this year was the dressing down - necessary or not depending on your opinion - done by Congress ... John McCain for Sportsman of the Year!

Or, maybe they forget about the controversy altogether and give it to Roy Williams.

In other words, I wouldn't expect to see another Sox cover this year.

TommyJohn
11-12-2005, 11:40 AM
The White Sox won't sell magazines, so forget it. Never mind that the Red Sox
won last year, or the YKW's would take it if they won it all. Never mind that it
was the first title in 88 years. Never mind that they accomplished baseball
history in doing so. It doesn't make people swoon they way Mark and Sammy
did while they were "saving" baseball.

Hell, why do you think ESPN picked Michael Jordan as the Athlete of the
Century over much more obvious and worthier choices as Babe Ruth, Jim
Thorpe, Jackie Robinson, Joe Louis, Jesse Owens, etc., etc.? Because a
living athlete is a lot easier to sell and hype than a dead one. Same
principle here. The Sox story will be a tough sell, so therefore, it isn't
a great story at all.