PDA

View Full Version : The one and only PK offer thread

veeter
11-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Landis says the Sox have yet to make an offer. This is a very smart move. Why put an offer out there only to be trumped by the other teams. This also tells me the Sox are serious about retaining Paulie. Their plan may be to match or raise.

Daver
11-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Landis says the Sox have yet to make an offer. This is a very smart move. Why put an offer out there only to be trumped by the other teams. This also tells me the Sox are serious about retaining Paulie. Their plan may be to match or raise.

Kenny made an offer, and he made it for enough to make other teams really think hard about what Paul is worth, he set the the bottom price, and will let the market decide.

veeter
11-11-2005, 11:08 PM
You mean the 4/52?

BeefyD
11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I think he leaked the numbers, but it was not officially presented to Paulie's agent.

JC456
11-12-2005, 12:00 AM
What do you think teams will offer Mr. Konerko?

WSoxFanForever
11-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I heard on the Score that Konerko wasn't offered a contract by the Sox. PK's camp said they are fine with this, as the Sox want to see what other teams will offer. But the announcer (and I'm not that familiar with the Score because I can rarely get it in Wisconsin--don't know who this talk show host was) said that, although the Konerko Camp is being nice about it, secretly PK could be a little miffed that the Sox didn't offer him a contract first. Think it would have been better for the Sox to have offered a contract? I thought they already had, but apparently not.

doogiec
11-12-2005, 01:48 PM
I'd like to know how the Score host knows Konerko's "secret" thoughts.

From what I have read, the Sox are maintaining open and friendly contact with Konerko's agent, and that's the only important thing at this point. Its not like Konerko would have signed the Sox first offer anyway, he's made it clear he wants to see what his market value is.

Steelrod
11-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I heard on the Score that Konerko wasn't offered a contract by the Sox. PK's camp said they are fine with this, as the Sox want to see what other teams will offer. But the announcer (and I'm not that familiar with the Score because I can rarely get it in Wisconsin--don't know who this talk show host was) said that, although the Konerko Camp is being nice about it, secretly PK could be a little miffed that the Sox didn't offer him a contract first. Think it would have been better for the Sox to have offered a contract? I thought they already had, but apparently not.

If the Sox offered low, they'd offend. If they make a takable offer, Konerko wanted to go thru the process anyhow, and would then have a base to get higher offers from others.
Seeing the market is the prudent way to go. If the money's not crazy, KW will let them know he'll be there to complete the deal.

Just good business!

TomBradley72
11-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Irrelevent....Braves did the same thing with Furcal....go check out the market....then we'll make the offer....

bigredrudy
11-12-2005, 02:42 PM
The LA Times is speculating that the offer to PK will be about 48 million for 4 years. This will be in line with the recent extension given to G Anderson. This makes sense to me. I don't think the Angels want to offend either GA or VG. The Angels got a bargain with VG and there is not a lot of wiggle room between 52 million and the amount VG will be receiving in the next 4 years. It would seem to boil down to where PK wants to play. Some of you will say that is with the WS but I am not so sure. There is the proximity to PK's home, the weather and the fact that the Angels have a better team and certainly have a better farm system. And, of course, the Angels have locked in their better players for 4 years. I am talking about Cabrera, VG, and GA. And I forgot about Colon.

ilsox7
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
The LA Times is speculating that the offer to PK will be about 48 million for 4 years. This will be in line with the recent extension given to G Anderson. This makes sense to me. I don't think the Angels want to offend either GA or VG. The Angels got a bargain with VG and there is not a lot of wiggle room between 52 million and the amount VG will be receiving in the next 4 years. It would seem to boil down to where PK wants to play. Some of you will say that is with the WS but I am not so sure. There is the proximity to PK's home, the weather and the fact that the Angels have a better team and certainly have a better farm system. And, of course, the Angels have locked in their better players for 4 years. I am talking about Cabrera, VG, and GA. And I forgot about Colon.

You been under a rock the last month or so?

buehrle4cy05
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Excuse me for asking, but who won the World Series this year? Doesn't that mean we have the best team in baseball?

And the Sox have a damn good farm system, too.

DickAllen72
11-12-2005, 02:45 PM
That's a great offer for PK. The Sox could add a fifth year option if he would like, or offer $50M for 4 years to get him to choose the Sox over the Angels.

OEO Magglio
11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
and the fact that the Angels have a better team
:roflmao:

nodiggity59
11-12-2005, 02:59 PM

VG is the only one of those players I would touch w/ a ten foot pole. The 2000 Mets made the WS and then suffocated from the stench of thier awful contracts from 01-03. Look for the Angels to follow their suit.

buehrle4cy05
11-12-2005, 03:12 PM
VG is the only one of those players I would touch w/ a ten foot pole. The 2000 Mets made the WS and then suffocated from the stench of thier awful contracts from 01-03. Look for the Angels to follow their suit.

IIRC, the Angels were the only team willing to give him a 5-year contract. He's been banged up lately, and you wonder if in the next 3 years his production will go down due to injuries. Same may go for Colon, as the Angels were the only team willing to give him 4 years. He won the Cy this year but his back gave out on him late in the season. Good comparison, nd59.

Hitmen77
11-12-2005, 03:42 PM
It would seem to boil down to where PK wants to play. Some of you will say that is with the WS but I am not so sure. There is the proximity to PK's home, the weather .....

:?: Is "weather" really a factor? Last I heard, baseball was played during the summer. Someone playing for the Sox would only have to play in cold weather the first month of the season and in late October during the World Series.

....and the fact that the Angels have a better team and certainly have a better farm system. And, of course, the Angels have locked in their better players for 4 years. I am talking about Cabrera, VG, and GA. And I forgot about Colon.

Really? It's a proven fact that the Angels have a better team? Is that why the Sox kicked their behinds in the ALCS?:dtroll: It must be that PK would be a fool to want to play for a team that has a starting 5 of Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, and BMac. :kukoo:

SABRSox
11-12-2005, 05:23 PM

This is correct, the Angels do have a better farm system. They have the best farm system in MLB. It is stacked at nearly every position, especially at 1B / DH. So, tell me, if dollars are the same, why would Konerko want to go somewhere he could possibly be pressed and overtaken for playing time in a year or two when he could have a full time gig with the White Sox for the duration of the contract?

Taliesinrk
11-13-2005, 01:18 AM

It appears you're fairly new here like me.. sarcasm goes in teal though.. Anyway, I was wondering what the hell you're talking about? A Better team? I Guess taking Contreras in one game by one run is what you mean.. good call buddy.. World Champs = best team.. start to finish... no argument about it.
With other parts of your argument, I'll give ya proximity to home.. thats it.
A better farm system? Why would that matter for the most part? because as you've mentioned, a number of their guys are locked up, and are veterans at that.. the weather? i think paulie may trade a cool april for a warm april and a cool october at work, for a warm one at home... *****

MsSoxVixen22
11-14-2005, 09:34 AM

First off, I'm not a big fan of the Score (I'm actually pretty upset the Sox are going to be on there in '06) ALOT of their announcers (especially Murph) think they have their finger on the pulse of the Sox....and they don't. And what's more alot of them are Cub fans. I would take anything the Score has to say, with a grain of salt, IMHO.

rmusacch
11-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Irrelevent....Braves did the same thing with Furcal....go check out the market....then we'll make the offer....

What if Konerko doesn't give the Sox the chance to match?

DaleJRFan
11-14-2005, 10:13 AM

Then good riddance and thanks for the memories, Paul. That 12 million a year can be spent on the plan B, plan C or plan D (we all know KW always has roughly 12 backup plans anyway) to replace Konerko or to lockup Garland.

Frater Perdurabo
11-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Then good riddance and thanks for the memories, Paul. That 12 million a year can be spent on the plan B, plan C or plan D (we all know KW always has roughly 12 backup plans anyway) to replace Konerko or to lockup Garland.

Yep. Sign Furcal, and package Uribe and Rowand with other parts to get Delgado.

nodiggity59
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm going to just come out and say it: I don't want Furcal. Not for 9 or 10 million. He's a decent player, a guy you'd like to have, but he absolutely reeks of overpaid free agent. I don't understand everyone's obsession with this guy. I'm pretty sure in a few years we'll all have a laugh about how we obsessed over him.

I think a lot of people have forgotten what got us to this point of being World Champions. It most definitely was not buying the most trendy, over rated guy at the time. I am not advocating standing pat, we definitely need a better 3-4 combo next year, but moves like this will send us down the ****ter, IMO.

soxfanatlanta
11-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm going to just come out and say it: I don't want Furcal. Not for 9 or 10 million. He's a decent player, a guy you'd like to have, but he absolutely reeks of overpaid free agent. I don't understand everyone's obsession with this guy. I'm pretty sure in a few years we'll all have a laugh about how we obsessed over him.

I think a lot of people have forgotten what got us to this point of being World Champions. It most definitely was not buying the most trendy, over rated guy at the time. I am not advocating standing pat, we definitely need a better 3-4 combo next year, but moves like this will send us down the ****ter, IMO.

+1

I've seen Furcal play here for several years, and I just don't think he's all that. He's good, but that does not warrent $10 mil (unless you're B. Cashman).

DaleJRFan
11-14-2005, 11:11 AM
+1

I've seen Furcal play here for several years, and I just don't think he's all that. He's good, but that does not warrent $10 mil (unless you're B. Cashman).

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Furcal pricing out at 10m. He'll be lucky to reach 7. The major GM gripes, from what I understand, have been regarding the length of the contract, not the dollar amount.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2005, 11:13 AM

I think a lot of people have forgotten what got us to this point of being World Champions. It most definitely was not buying the most trendy, over rated guy at the time. I am not advocating standing pat, we definitely need a better 3-4 combo next year, but moves like this will send us down the ****ter, IMO.I don't know how you could not want Furcal. He's a much better option than Uribe, both at the plate and in the field. That said, he's not in my top 3 priorities:

1. 1B - re-sign or replace PK
2. DH - need to do bettter than Everett, and FT is just too iffy
3. Bullpen - Need more depth. Jenks, Cotts and Politte are the only ones they can count on for 2006.

It's extremely doubtful they would have enough payroll left after addressing these needs to be able to afford Furcal.

Dolanski
11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
+1

Let the Cubs have him. He's overrated IMO. Good, but not great. Besides, hasn't he been busted a few times for DUI? Sounds like someone the Chicago media would eat alive...

ilsox7
11-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't know how you could not want Furcal. He's a much better option than Uribe, both at the plate and in the field. That said, he's not in my top 3 priorities:

Just curious how much better you'd consdier Furcal than Uribe defensively. I have not seen Furcal much, but I know how good Uribe is. Is Furcal literally another level or two above Uribe? Is that even possible? If so, WOW.

nodiggity59
11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't know how you could not want Furcal. He's a much better option than Uribe, both at the plate and in the field.

What does Uribe have to do with handing out a huge deal to Furcal? We're talking about Furcal, you know the guy with a lifetime OBP under .350 and an OPS around .750. Out of context would you pay what I think will be a minimum of $8mil a year for that guy?

And if we must compare, Uribe plays just as good if not better defense and posts a career OPS only .020 points lower. I don't understand what you mean by saying Furcal is a much better option, especially at the price. Again, Furcal is probably better, but only at the same price IMO and certainly not for twice as much $.

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm Just waiting for the lastest on the Cubune "Konerkometer". That's where the real story will come from.

Frater Perdurabo
11-14-2005, 11:46 AM
What does Uribe have to do with handing out a huge deal to Furcal? We're talking about Furcal, you know the guy with a lifetime OBP under .350 and an OPS around .750. Out of context would you pay what I think will be a minimum of $8mil a year for that guy?

And if we must compare, Uribe plays just as good if not better defense and posts a career OPS only .020 points lower. I don't understand what you mean by saying Furcal is a much better option, especially at the price. Again, Furcal is probably better, but only at the same price IMO and certainly not for twice as much $.

Obsession is a very strong word. If the Sox start 2006 with Uribe as their starting SS but have either re-signed or replaced Konerko with a left-handed slugging 1B who can bat third, I'll be content.

Nothing against Uribe, but Furcal brings switch-hitting ability and superior speed. Uribe can bat second, but he's not the best option batting second. Furcal is capable of leading off and would make a great #2 hitting behind Pods. Ozzie says he wants more speed at the top of the order, and getting Furcal would allow Iguchi to drop in the lineup into a RBI-producing role. Ideally I'd like both of them on the Sox, with Uribe being the super-sub and getting 450+ ABs, with the DH being used to rest all the position players until Frank gets healthy.

illinibk
11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm Just waiting for the lastest on the Cubune "Konerkometer". That's where the real story will come from.
:tealtutor:

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Obsession is a very strong word. If the Sox start 2006 with Uribe as their starting SS but have either re-signed or replaced Konerko with a left-handed slugging 1B who can bat third, I'll be content.

Nothing against Uribe, but Furcal brings switch-hitting ability and superior speed. Uribe can bat second, but he's not the best option batting second. Furcal is capable of leading off and would make a great #2 hitting behind Pods. Ozzie says he wants more speed at the top of the order, and getting Furcal would allow Iguchi to drop in the lineup into a RBI-producing role. Ideally I'd like both of them on the Sox, with Uribe being the super-sub and getting 450+ ABs, with the DH being used to rest all the position players until Frank gets healthy.I think you're being too generous. There's no way you could bat Uribe 2nd. Furcal is more selective, is a switch hitter, and can do more things. And he's better than Uribe in the field. I'm not sure keeping Uribe as a sub is the best way to go. If they signed Furcal, they'd be better off trading Uribe.

But as I said earlier, I don't believe it's the best use of $10M. They have other more pressing needs that should be addressed first.

DenverSock
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Kenny made an offer, and he made it for enough to make other teams really think hard about what Paul is worth, he set the the bottom price, and will let the market decide.

This is not only correct, it's SOP. Everything wil be OK! I do believe that in the end it's between us and the Angels. The Angels do have some advantages for PK, but I also think PK wants to come back to the White Sox. Unfortunately, given the life a professional athlete it'll come down to Money and length of contract.

Chisox003
11-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I think you're being too generous. There's no way you could bat Uribe 2nd. Furcal is more selective, is a switch hitter, and can do more things. And he's better than Uribe in the field. I'm not sure keeping Uribe as a sub is the best way to go. If they signed Furcal, they'd be better off trading Uribe.

But as I said earlier, I don't believe it's the best use of $10M. They have other more pressing needs that should be addressed first.
Definitely.

I don't understand why Furcal is being pushed so hard around here, Uribe is perfectly fine even if some do consider him a notch below Furcal.

But that 10 mil would look much better in a big bat or another arm for the pen....

Even then though, the bullpen doesnt necessarily, absolutely need to be improved, I think it's pretty damn good as is. But there's always room for improvement, I suppose. I know KW will be careful with the $$, I think we can trust him now.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Definitely.

I don't understand why Furcal is being pushed so hard around here, Uribe is perfectly fine even if some do consider him a notch below Furcal.

But that 10 mil would look much better in a big bat or another arm for the pen....

Even then though, the bullpen doesnt necessarily, absolutely need to be improved, I think it's pretty damn good as is. But there's always room for improvement, I suppose. I know KW will be careful with the $$, I think we can trust him now.

Right now the bullpen consists of Politte, Cotts and Jenks. Politte had a career year in 2005, and I wouldn't want to count on him repeating that, although it certainly would be nice. Hermanson has to be considered iffy. I'm not that confident in Hernandez in bullpen duty for the whole year. Marte and Vizcaino are not guys I want to rely on. IMO, the Sox were fortunate in the post-season that their starters pitched deep and their lack of bullpen depth didn't get exposed. They need one more solid reliever, preferably a lefty.

WestSox
11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
They need one more solid reliever, preferably a lefty.

Too bad Jerry Manuel ruined Kelly Wunsch's shoulder years ago.

illinibk
11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
They need one more solid reliever, preferably a lefty.
So do 29 other teams.

Flight #24
11-14-2005, 02:03 PM
IMO the Sox are better of with Giles & Uribe than Furcal. Obviously, it all depends on the final payroll amount, but it seems unlikely that they can resign Konerko, get a Giles/Delgado-like bat, AND get Furcal, plus it requires some fairly significant restructuring via trade of Rowand & Juan. I know it's been speculated that it can be done on $85M, but IMO it'll take closer to $90-95.

My priorities:
#1 - Sign Giles - only because I think he's the one almost perfect fit for this team. Not too expensive, offers a solid #3 bat, not too long of a contract, and suppodely a real pro, i.e. good fit in the clubhouse. A great opening move that would also be another boost to season ticket sales as a sign that they're looking to only get better.

#2 - Resign Paulie - This is only #2 because IMO Paulie's going to take his time to solicit offers. Plus even if you lose him, there are option to trade for a Thome/Delgado/Helton and replace him. But there aren't similar options for Giles that don't also preclude the return of Frank.

#3 - resign AJ - there's no backup plan at C

#4 - resign Garland - only this low because I think the worst they'll do is arb him for a year, and because even without him we have 4 excellent SPs. Not a knock on Jon at all.

#5 - dump Marte (I just think he's done), trade El Duque (no fit), pick up a veteran LHRP

Frater Perdurabo
11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I think you're being too generous. There's no way you could bat Uribe 2nd. Furcal is more selective, is a switch hitter, and can do more things. And he's better than Uribe in the field. I'm not sure keeping Uribe as a sub is the best way to go. If they signed Furcal, they'd be better off trading Uribe.

Of course I'm being generous. Anybody "can" bat anywhere in the lineup, including second. However, that does not mean they "should" or "can do so very well."

Look at how much having a legit leadoff hitter (Pods) helped the Sox this year. Now double that effect by having another Pods-like player who can switch hit and hit a fair number of extra base hits bat second. With two burners on the basepaths, whoever bats third or fourth is bound to see lots of fastballs and mistake pitches thrown by nervous opposing pitchers. Heck, Rowand or Iguchi could do an above-average job as a #3 hitter with Pods and Fucal batting ahead of him (I am NOT seriously advocating either to be the #3 hitter; I'd be much happier with Giles or Delgado). My point is that having such a 1-2 punch makes whoever the Sox have as the 3-4-5 hitters that much better.

Chisox003
11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Right now the bullpen consists of Politte, Cotts and Jenks. Politte had a career year in 2005, and I wouldn't want to count on him repeating that, although it certainly would be nice. Hermanson has to be considered iffy. I'm not that confident in Hernandez in bullpen duty for the whole year. Marte and Vizcaino are not guys I want to rely on. IMO, the Sox were fortunate in the post-season that their starters pitched deep and their lack of bullpen depth didn't get exposed. They need one more solid reliever, preferably a lefty.
I agree.

Cotts, Jenks, Politte = Cornerstones of pen

Hermy = Unknown. But if he's healthy, add him to the first 3.

Marte has to go, but I disagree with you (and a lot of people on here) with Viz. I understand where you're coming from, but he really pitched well down the stretch. While hes not the best we can do, hes definitely not the worst, especially as a last resort type guy.

I honestly like the idea of Duque coming out of the pen. But at $4.5 mil, I'll leave that one to K-dub.

Another lefty (Eyre maybe?) would be great, though.

lostletters
11-14-2005, 05:04 PM
It is becoming heavily rumored that the Sox may trade for Delgado if they do not sign PK. I would rather sign PK and not give up McCarthy. But if PK gets to be to expensive, or wants to leave it may have to be done.

steff
11-14-2005, 05:11 PM
First off, I'm not a big fan of the Score (I'm actually pretty upset the Sox are going to be on there in '06) ALOT of their announcers (especially Murph) think they have their finger on the pulse of the Sox....and they don't. And what's more alot of them are Cub fans. I would take anything the Score has to say, with a grain of salt, IMHO.

How about the fact that both the Sox and Paul's agent say there wasn't an offer...?

maurice
11-14-2005, 05:43 PM
I've cooled on the idea of getting Furcal (depending on his price), but it looks like Ozzie might be after him.

It is becoming heavily rumored that the Sox may trade for Delgado if they do not sign PK. I would rather sign PK and not give up McCarthy.

I would rather trade for Delgado and not give up McCarthy.
It's extremely unlikely that KW would offer McCarthy at this point.

CluelessJoe1919
11-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Better team? C'mon.
Locked up their better players? Buehrle, Garcia for two or three more years. Garland coming soon. McCarthy. Jenks.
Better farm system? Not anymore.
You must be a big Angels' fan.

CluelessJoe1919
11-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Sure, Konerko is the romantic choice to return to the Sox, but, face it, he's nowhere near worth the money he'll be offered, meaning, that if he does sign with the Sox, he will be overpaid...
He's really worth about $9-10 million per year, if even that. He only drove in 100 runs. Check out what Teixiera and Ortiz drove in...
I'd love to have Paulie back. But, hey, if he rejects the Sox, I'll feel badly for about 10 minutes and anticipate who will be next. Should that happen, I'll bet anyone that we get more RBI next season at that position than this past year...and for less money.