PDA

View Full Version : Giants trade Estes to Mets

Jerry_Manuel
12-16-2001, 04:18 PM
NEW YORK -- The busy New York Mets made another deal Sunday, trading outfielder Tsuyoshi Shinjo and infielder Desi Relaford to the San Francisco Giants for pitcher Shawn Estes.

Shinjo and Relaford both were nice surprises for the Mets in 2001, but the opportunity to trade them for a proven starting pitcher was too good to pass up.

Estes was 9-8 with a 4.02 ERA in 27 starts for the Giants. The 28-year-old lefty was an All-Star in 1997 when he won 19 games and has averaged 29 starts the last five seasons.

Coming off a World Series appearance in 2000, the Mets struggled to an 82-80 mark that left them third in the NL East. General manager Steve Phillips promised changes in the offseason and has made good on his word.

On Friday, the Mets traded outfielder David Justice to Oakland for reliever Mark Guthrie and a minor leaguer. Justice was acquired only a week earlier from the New York Yankees for third baseman Robin Ventura.

At the recent winter meetings, the Mets obtained All-Star second baseman Roberto Alomar in a major trade with Cleveland. They also signed a pair of free agents, getting outfielder Roger Cedeno to become their leadoff hitter and adding David Weathers to the bullpen.

Shinjo, 29, played exceptionally well in his first year in the majors. A star in Japan, he hit .267 with 10 home runs and 56 RBI for the Mets.

Shinjo was outstanding in the field, and his hustle made him one of manager Bobby Valentine's favorite players.

Relaford was merely a journeyman when, after splitting the year with Philadelphia and San Diego, he was plucked off waivers by the Mets after the 2000 season.

Relaford, 28, blossomed into a productive player, hitting .302 with eight home runs and 36 RBI in 301 at-bats.

After Relaford showed a live arm at shortstop and third base, Valentine even gave him a chance to pitch. Relaford threw one hitless inning in a blowout and was impressive enough that Valentine said he might consider letting the infielder pitch in another game.

Estes was 15-6 in 2000 and helped pitch the Giants into the NL playoffs, where they lost to the Mets.

Estes joins a rotation that last year included Al Leiter, Kevin Appier, Steve Trachsel, Glendon Rusch and Bruce Chen.

Rusch's name has surfaced in trade speculation for the last few months. The Mets also are looking to add a power hitter, with free agent Juan Gonzalez among the possible candidates.

MattSharp
12-16-2001, 04:34 PM
I think this was a great move for the Mets.

I mean Leiter and Appier, although up there in age both had exceptional ERAs last year. Add Estes as the No. 3 man. Then add to that a combination of Glendon Rusch, Steve Traschel, and Bruce Chen, and I would say the Mets have nice rotation.

I wouldn't have minded seeing the Sox get Estes, but I wouldn't want to give up much for him. I don't think the Mets did, although I dont see why they traded another OF.

Shinjo played more games than any other Mets OF last year. The team traded Matt Lawton and heralded prospect Alex Escobar for David Justice. Then traded Justice.

This basically leaves Jay Payton, who has still yet to find his bat, and injury-prone Benny Agbayani.

I think that the combination of these moves almost guarantees the Mets will sign an OF.

Either Moises Alou, Barry Bonds, or Juan Gonzalez.

jklm
12-16-2001, 04:36 PM
A 29 year old rookie and a 28 year old journeyman for Estes... There is a good chance he will outperform Ritchie next season. where is KW??

Jerry_Manuel
12-16-2001, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jklm
A 29 year old rookie and a 28 year old journeyman for Estes... There is a good chance he will outperform Ritchie next season. where is KW??

According to West Estes is not good. Williams would have traded Lee for Estes.

doublem23
12-16-2001, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
This basically leaves Jay Payton, who has still yet to find his bat, and injury-prone Benny Agbayani.

and Roger Cedeno.

FarWestChicago
12-16-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

According to West Estes is not good.Well, I was just relaying the opinion of Brian Sabean. And he did stink on the road last year. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
12-16-2001, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Well, I was just relaying the opinion of Brian Sabean. And he did stink on the road last year. :smile:

Well good thing we didn't pick him up for CLee.

WinningUgly!
12-16-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Well good thing we didn't pick him up for CLee.

I'll bet we could have picked him up for :hitless & :slowswing

RedPinStripes
12-17-2001, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I'll bet we could have picked him up for :hitless & :slowswing

:slowswing
"You just wait till I tell Clr01 about this."