PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreu Available?

DickAllen72
11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13137314.htm

According to one executive, the Phillies discussed a trade that would have sent rightfielder Bobby Abreu to the Toronto Blue Jays for centerfielder Vernon Wells. The Jays, who are looking for a corner outfielder, turned thumbs down on the proposed deal because Abreu is owed at least $31 million over the next two seasons. A Wells-for-Abreu deal could still come to fruition if Abreu would waive his no-trade clause and the Phils would eat some of his salary. That deal could help the Phillies on two fronts. It would give them a proven centerfielder and open right field as a possible landing spot for Ryan Howard if they're unable to deal Thome.

I wonder if the Phillies would take Aaron for Abreu straight up if the Sox would take on his salary???

Brian26
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I wonder if the Phillies would take Aaron for Abreu straight up if the Sox would take on his salary???

I assume you're thinking maybe Abreu plays left and Pods moves over to center? I'm uncomfortable having Pods back in cf after watching him track down some foulballs in left this year. Speed doesn't necessarily equate to range. However, I like the idea of picking of Abreu, and I believe he and Ozzie are pals. Maybe Abreu is the new DH and Dye stays in rf?

DickAllen72
11-11-2005, 09:21 PM
I assume you're thinking maybe Abreu plays left and Pods moves over to center? I'm uncomfortable having Pods back in cf after watching him track down some foulballs in left this year. Speed doesn't necessarily equate to range. However, I like the idea of picking of Abreu, and I believe he and Ozzie are pals. Maybe Abreu is the new DH and Dye stays in rf?
Anderson plays CF, with Dye/Abreu alternating between DH & RF.

asboog
11-11-2005, 09:41 PM

Not a chance. I mean I love Aaron but there is no way they would do that.

Banix12
11-11-2005, 09:47 PM
As I recall can't he play 1b? Another backup trade there. i personally doubt rowand straight up would be a trade they would be making but if they really want to unload his salary it would probably be possible to get him without giving up a big starter.

Somehow I find that unlikely though

DickAllen72
11-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Not a chance. I mean I love Aaron but there is no way they would do that.

Wells hit .269 with 28HR and a .320OBP. Rowand hit .270 with 13HR and a .329OBP. They both play stellar defense.

Wells may be the better player of the two and the Phillies may rather have him over Aaron, but the Jays already turned them down. If the Sox are willing to take on the salary, the Phillies may settle for Aaron. Rowand is very good centerfielder, and the Phillies would have a lot of money freed up which is what they want, plus it opens RF up for Howard.

santo=dorf
11-11-2005, 09:57 PM
However, I like the idea of picking of Abreu, and I believe he and Ozzie are pals. Maybe Abreu is the new DH and Dye stays in rf?

Abreu just won a gold glove!

batmanZoSo
11-12-2005, 03:02 AM

Pods is a butcher in left, there's no way he can play center. Abreu is a flat out stud, though, I can't say I wouldn't want him somehow. No move to improve the lineup should hurt the defense. That's too big a reason for our success, you have to be careful with that.

MadetoOrta
11-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Didn't Abreu go through a stretch of 40+ games without a HR? Is he streaky? Sounds like CLee. For that money, get me Delgado.

balke
11-12-2005, 08:05 AM
I think its more likely we are trying to find a superstar SS, or perhaps a utility guy. Our outfield is pretty set, near log jammed if our minor league talent is as good as people seem to think it is. Rowand's defense will probably keep him his job unless some team absolutely goes nuts with an offer. Think the Sox are looking to upgrade the bullpen a little?

DickAllen72
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Didn't Abreu go through a stretch of 40+ games without a HR? Is he streaky? Sounds like CLee. For that money, get me Delgado.
How many errors would Crede and Uribe have throwing to Delgado at 1B?

DickAllen72
11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Abreu just won a gold glove!

Hotchi machi!!!

SOXSINCE'70
11-12-2005, 11:58 PM

Hitting 80 HR's in an AS HR contest will do that to a player.:D: :D:

(Actually,it was more like 44 or 45 through 3 rounds.It just seemed like
he hit 80.Hitting those tightly wound Titleists into the seats drained
him of energy At least,it seemed like it.)

mdep524
11-13-2005, 12:07 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think it's something KW and Ozzie might be looking at. Aside from being a superstar-caliber hitter, Abreu is Venezuelan, a plus in Ozzie Guillen's clubhouse, bats left-handed and has great speed, two things KW/Ozzie have mentioned as priorities for '06. If the Phillies were willing to take Vernon Wells for him straight up, someting like Rowand and Marte is not totally out of the question as a starting point (maybe a prospect gets thrown in there).

I've always liked Abreu, and never understood why he wasn't a bona fide Vlad Guerrero/Carlos Beltran-like star. .300 avg, .400 obp, good power, good speed which translates into SBs. He's 31 years old, so he's still in his prime.

The fact that he isn't a big star could mean: a.) Philly fans are just brutal on the guy for no reason- a real possibility considering the way my Phillies fan friend paints the picture, b.) the English language thing is holding him back (that didn't hurt Vlad) or c.) there is something more to the picture- possibly laziness, lack of motivation or bad work ethic.

If it's option c., then its either a red flag saying the Sox should avoid him, or this could be the kind of project KW/Ozzie would be interested to take on, considering Ozzie's mentoring nature. I'm sure KW and Ozzie are doing their homework...

His salary, for reference:
2006 - $13 mil
2007 - $15 mil
2008 - $16 mil (or $2 mil team buy out)

Tragg
11-13-2005, 12:18 PM
That is a really high salary - don't see how we can afford him and Konerko, but maybe so. Even if we would lose Konerko, he'd make 3MM or so more than Konerko's new contract.
Rowand should be decent trade bait this offseason, with the yankees, redsox, phillies and even cubs desparate for CF help. I'm willing to take a chance with Anderson in CF. The Phillies may be willing to do a lopsided deal to clear salary (like we did with Lee).
I don't know what Rowand will bring - I probably have an inflated idea of his worth; of course, if you read Brewer boards, they think a first baseman with marginal power (Overbay) is worth a #2 starter.

Brian26
11-13-2005, 02:03 PM
That is a really high salary - don't see how we can afford him and Konerko, but maybe so. Even if we would lose Konerko, he'd make 3MM or so more than Konerko's new contract.

That salary is completely out of the question. I had no idea he was making that much either. Unless we can get the Phils to east part of that contract, I hate the idea of putting that much money towards one guy. We just got rid of CLee and Mags last year who were both due less money than that. A salary like that seems to be a step in the wrong direction and something a desperate team might go for.

nodiggity59
11-13-2005, 02:45 PM
That salary is completely out of the question. I had no idea he was making that much either. Unless we can get the Phils to east part of that contract, I hate the idea of putting that much money towards one guy. We just got rid of CLee and Mags last year who were both due less money than that. A salary like that seems to be a step in the wrong direction and something a desperate team might go for.

It's a really high price tag, but only for 2 seasons. In the end you only have to commit 1/2 as much to Abreu as you do to PK. Something to think about.