PDA

View Full Version : HE SAID WHAT? (Dayn Perry "Warms the cockles" of DRay Fans)

jabrch
11-11-2005, 07:24 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5066042

First off, for using the phrase "Warms the cockles" in an article about baseball, Perry should be tarred and feathered.

That said, on to your regularly scheduled program...

Since being admitted to the American League as an expansion club in 1998, the Rays have never enjoyed a winning season, finished last in seven of eight years and tallied an aggregate record of 518-775. To be frank, the Rays have been an abject failure of an organization.

That's a nice start, but it completely is devoid of any legitimate analysis. For instance, under what situaiton did they develop that record? Did their competition have an advantage over them? In amassing that record, did they outperform expectations? Did they show positive signs? Did they develop talent? Did they have a fair revenue position to build from? How about, given you believe yourself to be an analyst that you do some analysis rather than just tell me the Devil Rays have had a bad record since 1998. That might add some value to your articles.

However, all of that could be on the verge of changing. Managing partner Vince Naimoli, who revealed himself to be the depth and breadth of incompetence, is no longer in power.

The Rays team revenues ranked around 20th in the Majors for the past few years. Given the near lowest attendance in baseball, I think that Naimoli has done a fairly impressive job of running a business that generated revenues. Given their financial controls, I'd imagine they were profitable as well. Doesn't sound like incompetence to me.

Hapless GM Chuck La Mar has been belatedly fired,

Few managers have assembled a better collection of talent on such a low payroll. The only thing he didn't do is cowtow to you and your ilk and try to run a team using the model you profess, rather he did it by acquring solid baseball players and trying to develop them himself. He had the misfortune of being in the same division as the Yanks, Red Sox and even the Jays, in an era of an unbalanced schedule, and his teams actually held their own. He didn't let the large market teams rape him of his talent. He didn't trade guys to the Yanks just because it was August. He didn't roll over to satisfy the media. He got Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. He signed/drafted and developed Uptom, Hammel, Baldelli, Crawford, Young, Huff, Gaithright, Cantu etc. He acquired Lugo, Gomes, Hollins, Baez, Borowski, Colome, etc., all of whom delievered well above their cost, and he did it on a shoestring budget. (and don't get me started on what I think of Wayne Townsend, cuz he's gonna be a good one soon) If Billy Beane was the GM of the devilrays, you'd be licking his droppings off your chin.

and manager Lou Piniella, who's ill suited to guide a team through the hazardous shoals of the rebuilding process, is also out of work.

First, Lou is out of work because he QUIT. He wasn't willing to stay there anymore. He did a great job while there. And if you honestly think he isn't suited to the "hazardous shoals of the rebuilding process" then you CLEARLY don't know sqaut about Lou. In the 5 years prior to Lou going to Seattle, they won 64, 83, 77, 73 and 68 games. During his 10 year tenure, they made 4 trips to the playoffs and only finished under .500 3 times. He took over a sub-.500 team in Cinci, and won the World Series in his first year. Lou Pinella is one of the best managers in the game of baseball over the past 20 years, and he is particularly adept at rebuilding teams.

This should warm the cockles of D-Ray fans everywhere.

YUCK - that's just poor writing. Go warm your own cockles Dayn.

While the team has yet to hire a new manager, the owner's box is occupied by Stuart Sternberg, who has flashed a deft marketing touch thus far, and the front office will be guided by the tandem of Gerry Hunsicker and Andrew Friedman.

Yes, that's right - why should my cockles be warm? Because Sternberg, with no past major sports ownership experience has a 28 year old kid running his franchise, along with Hunsicker in the background. Add in Matt Silverman, also in his late 20s, I think, and this braintrust has yet to find a manager, even though it is already almost Thanksgiving. Oh Dayn, my cockles are glowing. You are an idiot. I'll wait a bit to talk about Little Boy Friedman in a second, I'll let you slurp him up first.

Friedman, in contrast, is a 28-year-old exec weaned on the principles of statistical analysis.

I'll admit surprise if this is the only bit of slurping you do. But you fail to point out some critical items about Boy Wonder Part Duh. He has under 2 years of baseball experience after a short career on Wall Street where he, incidentally, worked with Silverman on the deal to help Sternberg purchase the team. I'm not sure if that is 100% clear, but the three people most involved in running this team have nearly no experience in the game. None have played it professionally. None have coached. None have scouted (baring Friedman's 18 months of calculatoring for the Drays). They haven't sat across the table from Scott Boras. They haven't dealt with Milton Bradley. They collectively are bankers and financiers who like baseball. I have a bad feeling about where this story is heading.

While the upheaval in Tampa was deliriously overdue, it comes at a time in which the Devil Rays are uniquely poised to reverse fortunes. Hunsicker and Friedman inherit an astounding core of young talent around which they can build. Fathom what the Rays presently have in the fold in terms of performers age 25 and under:

Ok Dayn, let me try and understand this. LaMarr and Naimoli incompetently did what? They left Sternberg, Silverman, Friedberg and Hunsicker with "an astrounding core of young talent". Doesn't sound "incompetent" to me. Doesn't sound like an "abject failure" to me. Doesn't sound like it is "hapless" to me. It sounds like they built a really good young core of players. Contrast that to what Depodesta did 4000 miles away where he inherited a playoff team, and proceeded to make it a 71 win team in a terrible division. Instead of bashing the Rays former management while kissing up to Depodesta, you should be at Naimoli and LaMarr's house "warming their cockles". You are truly a joke Dayn.

Next, Dayne goes through all the talent that LaMarr put in place, praising it, after trashing LaMarr. Then...

It's all a belabored way of saying the Rays presently have a peerless collection of young talent, and it's incumbent upon the freshly minted front office to surround them with adequate complementary pieces.

It was a laboring way to read it also Dayn. You trash LaMarr for his "hapless" regime, but now you suck up to the players he put in place and then you give set up to give credit to the new guys if they can surround someone else's stars. Dayn Dayn Dayn... you are a shameful joke. But folks, hold on to your seat, the punchline comes next.

If they do, the Rays, beginning circa 2007, could be coiled to dominate the AL East for years to come.

The last time a team not from New York or Boston won the AL East was 1997. The last time a NY/Boston team didn't finish first or second was 1992. The Yanks and Red Sox payrolls are well documented. Their market size is well documented. Their ability to assemble talented baseball teams that win is well documented. And you have the complete lunacy to propose that it is remotely possible for a team with the worst attendance in the AL for each of the last five years, in one of the smallest markets in the game, in one of the worst stadium's in the game, will be competitive with the Yankees and Red Sox just because of a sub 30 year old GM and team president from Wall Street and an "traditional" baseball guy whom you'd hate if he weren't surrounded by IBankers? You are, Mr. Perry, as I have said before, a complete joke.

Yes, things are indeed looking up for the once-lowly D-Rays. But it's up to Sternberg, Friedman and Hunsicker to make it happen.

You still don't get it. Billy Beane didn't make the playoffs all those years. Zito, Hudson, Mulder and the Roid Boys did. KW and OG didn't win the world series, the players did. Sure - BB and KW/OG got those players. Sure OG coached them. But if the Devil Rays are going to accomplish anything, it will be the players who LaMarr and Naimoli acquired who will do it. Not the team of IBankers and Hunsicker.

jabrch
11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I still don't understand how some of these people actually get paid to write for mainstream news outlets. It's one thing to write for BP. But Perry writes for Fox Sports.

knocko94
11-11-2005, 08:11 PM
:hawk

"I Love it when you analyze"

TornLabrum
11-11-2005, 09:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5066042

First off, for using the phrase "Warms the cockles" in an article about baseball, Perry should be tarred and feathered.

As Dean Martin once said, "I really hate having cold cockles."

jabrch
11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Nearly 24 hours later - and my cockles still aren't warm...

jabrch
11-17-2005, 07:19 AM
The mercury keeps falling - my cockles still aren't warm. Dayn - you suck at cockle-warming.

Jjav829
11-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Ugh, don't defend Chuck LaMar. He was awful. Just awful. I'll refer you to my posts in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61184&page=4&pp=15&highlight=lamar).

1951Campbell
11-17-2005, 09:44 AM
jabrch, I have no problem with any one picking on Dayn Perry. However, 518-775 is pretty freakin' bad. "Under what situation did they develop the record"? Come now.

daveeym
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Jabrch don't waste your time with this ass clown. He belongs in the roadhouse with the windsock at worst and at best all links to him should be removed.

jabrch
11-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Ugh, don't defend Chuck LaMar. He was awful. Just awful. I'll refer you to my posts in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61184&page=4&pp=15&highlight=lamar).

He built the team that is currently there on a shoestring budget. How bad could he really be?

jabrch
11-19-2005, 02:15 AM
"Under what situation did they develop the record"? Come now.

With the smallest budget in the major leagues in the hardest division in baseball. Imagine the Sox record the past 10 years if we had to face an unbalanced schedule with double doses of NYY and BOS?

RadioheadRocks
11-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Wasn't there a jump rope game that went something like "sea shells, cockle shells, eevey ivy o-ver..."?