PDA

View Full Version : PK- Captain material?

RallyBowl
11-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Unless I missed it in the other thread (everyone was too busy speculating who the new no. 2 hitter is going to be), no one made mention of Ozzie's comment that Paulie will be the captain and wear the Big "C" if (when) he returns for next year.

Which leads me to the question- Is Paulie "captain material"?

Earlier in the year many questioned him and his attitude/ mentality (see Royce and Uribe's deke), not to mention his productivity. Is he the guy that should represent our team? Does he represent us best? Apparently Ozzie thinks so, which is good enough for me. What do you all think?

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Unless I missed it in the other thread (everyone was too busy speculating who the new no. 2 hitter is going to be), no one made mention of Ozzie's comment that Paulie will be the captain and wear the Big "C" if (when) he returns for next year.

Earlier in the year many questioned him and his attitude/ mentality (see Royce and Uribe's deke), not to mention his productivity. Is he the guy that should represent our team? Does he represent us best? Apparently Ozzie thinks so, which is good enough for me. What do you all think?I have absolute confidence that Pauly can handle all the important duties that a captain must perform.

kevin57
11-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Sure. Why not? A captain in baseball is more of an honor. Plus, he is generally good with the media.

SoxFan76
11-11-2005, 05:56 PM
ugh, this team doesn't need a captain. Every man in uniform should lead in their own way. From Frank to Timo. Captains are for ESPN.

Jjav829
11-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Earlier in the year many questioned him and his attitude/ mentality (see Royce and Uribe's deke), not to mention his productivity. Is he the guy that should represent our team? Does he represent us best? Apparently Ozzie thinks so, which is good enough for me. What do you all think?

I have no idea if he is "captain material."

Here's what I do know:
Time I have spent in the White Sox clubhouse over the past 2 years: 0 minutes.
Time Ozzie Guillen has spent in the White Sox clubhouse over the past 2 years: A hell a lot more than me.

This is Ozzie's call. If he feels that this would be the right decision if PK returns, then he should do it. Either way, I'm in no position to say whether Konerko is captain material.

John Barrett
11-11-2005, 05:58 PM
No captains!!!!

MarySwiss
11-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Haven't really given it much thought, probably because I've been too busy waiting to find out WHETHER OR NOT THE SOX WILL SIGN HIM.

Domeshot17
11-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I wish baseball was more like the other sports, and had 2-4 captains, because Captains are good for teams. It does not allienate them from the rest of the team.

IMHO if we could have a 3 captain, NBA/NFL style captain it would be
Paulie
Crede
Buehlre

Paulie, by all reports, has a great work ethic, and sets the example by his hard work.

Crede same way, and the work he puts into his defense should be mirrored by the team.

Buehlre is the quiet, but game time leader. The erruption Buehlre gets when he takes the mound from the crowd, and just controls the game is great for the team, the way he took Garland under his wing an dworked with him, and the relievers such as Jenks and Cotts about keeping cool is leadership.

If Baseball adopted the NHL syle system, a captain, and 3 assistants ( I believe it is 3) I would go as this
Paulie-C
Crede-A for defense
Buehlre-A for Starters
Duque-A for Relievers.

If you look, Captains arent always the best players, but the hardest working. Not sure if anyone remembers, but years ago there was a feature on PK in the suntimes, and it talked about how he hit like 500 in spring training, and wasnt happy, because he was hitting 500 off pitchers that probably wouldnt be in the big leagues for another 3 or 4 years. Talked about when he slumped, how he would stay after practices and on off days and take 300-500 swings in the cage with Aaron. I have always thought of him as a leader, and I think he would a great job. Ozzie would not do this if he did not feel it was best for the team.

VivaOzzie
11-11-2005, 06:39 PM
...Paulie will be the captain and wear the Big "C" if (when) he returns for next year.

Eh, whatever. As long as he doesn't actually wear the "C" on his jersey, like Sweeney in KC. That looks so stupid, its only for hockey jerseys.

oeo
11-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Eh, whatever. As long as he doesn't actually wear the "C" on his jersey, like Sweeney in KC. That looks so stupid, its only for hockey jerseys.

I'm just wondering where they would put it at. It would look real stupid right over the Sox logo on home jersies.

ChiSoxIn06
11-11-2005, 06:53 PM
If pauly gets the C i think that buerhle should get one too...they are both the leaders of the sox

fquaye149
11-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I have no idea if he is "captain material."

Here's what I do know:
Time I have spent in the White Sox clubhouse over the past 2 years: 0 minutes.
Time Ozzie Guillen has spent in the White Sox clubhouse over the past 2 years: A hell a lot more than me.

This is Ozzie's call. If he feels that this would be the right decision if PK returns, then he should do it. Either way, I'm in no position to say whether Konerko is captain material.

Agree 100%

Agree 110%

TaylorStSox
11-11-2005, 07:48 PM
The idea of a "captain" in baseball is ridiculous.

GregoryEtc
11-11-2005, 08:52 PM

Ya... and what does Ozzie even know about being the captain of a baseball team anyway?

TornLabrum
11-11-2005, 10:06 PM

But has been around for years. Lou Gehrig was captain of the Yankees. Pee Wee Reese was captain of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Brian26
11-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Ya... and what does Ozzie even know about being the captain of a baseball team anyway?

:hawk

"El Cap-e-tan!"

Actually wasn't he the co-captain along with Pudge?

hsnterprize
11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't have a problem with a "captain" on the Sox. Heck...every team has one, whether he wears a "C" on his jersey or not.

However, if teams are going to have the captain wear a "C" on the jersey, I think there should be some uniform rule throughout MLB about where that "C" should be on the uniform. I think it looks pretty stupid when one team's captain wears the "C" on a sleeve, while another team's leader wears his "C" on the front of the uniform. Make it the same location for all teams, or else, don't have it on the jerseys...period.

Daver
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Years ago, every team had a captain, he was not elected or picked, he donned the tools of ignorance and squatted behind the plate. He did not wear a "C" on his uniform either.

LuvSox
11-12-2005, 12:01 AM
If pauly gets the C i think that buerhle should get one too...they are both the leaders of the sox

Buerhle is THE MAN. If the Sox need a captain, give it to Mark.