PDA

View Full Version : Grudzielanek for the 2 hole?

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
He is the ideal 2 hitter, but he would have to DH, or Iguchi would have to DH and bat 6th.

That would eliminate Frank Thomas from consideration...and it would still leave us without a 3 AND 4 hitter.

So I am not sure why KW would want him, except off the bench...and with Mark playing almost everyday, I don´t think he is quite ready at age 35 to become a role player yet.

Has anyone seen where this rumor was sourced, or what KW might be thinking? Obviously, he could replace Harris-Blum on the bench...not to mention that we would not be getting a "younger and faster" player. If Iguchi did not exist, this move would make much more sense as we continue converting into an NL style of team while the rest of the AL is adjusting from steroid ball to our style of play.

The White Sox have a window with their pitching staff and the fact that few teams are designed to compete with us as currently constituted...only the Angels and the former Twins teams. And maybe the Indians. But the Red Sox and Yankees are still operating under old assumptions, with lots of aging sluggers but no ability to manufacture runs and a lack of quality starting pitching, although New York should be more formidable with Johnson, Mussina, Wang, Chacon, Wright and Small....not to mention Carl Pavano.

Whitesox4ever
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
How does Grundz fit in with Ozzie plan of having more speed at the #2 hole

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Therein lies the problem...Grudz 5-7 years ago, sure.

Which is why this hole rumor is a bit mystifying, unless it is just as a bench player. In which case he would be replicating a little of what Ozuna-Blum-Harris already do.

What he does give you is the ability to bunt, advance runners, hit and run, hit to the right side, squeeze, etc. Better than Iguchi at these things...but not enough to move Iguchi to DH, or enough for him to be DH and not have too much of a power outtage in the middle of the order.

munchman33
11-11-2005, 04:19 PM

Exactly. Honestly, unless we plan on trading Uribe and signing Furcal, Iguchi will be hitting second next year. There just isn't anything like that out there, unless you believe all those Ichiro on the block rumors.

OEO Magglio
11-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Tad is faster, and a better hitter, he also is much better then Grudz in the 2 spot, so why again would this make sense?:?:

Randar68
11-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Tad is faster, and a better hitter, he also is much better then Grudz in the 2 spot, so why again would this make sense?:?:

It doesn't. Welcome to caulfield's "random thought of the afternoon"...

He just complained in another thread that we wouldn't have anywhere to play Julio Lugo, then he starts this thread... :rolleyes:

Tragg
11-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Grudzielanek?

Come on.

What does he do that Iguchi doesn't do?

DickAllen72
11-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Therein lies the problem...Grudz 5-7 years ago, sure.

Which is why this hole rumor is a bit mystifying, unless it is just as a bench player. In which case he would be replicating a little of what Ozuna-Blum-Harris already do.

Grudz can't play 3B or SS, so he does not replace Ozuna or Blum.

If the Sox have a team interested in Harris, then I can see them replacing him with Grudz as a back-up to Iguchi & pinch hitter. That's the only way this makes sense.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:26 PM

He just complained in another thread that we wouldn't have anywhere to play Julio Lugo, then he starts this thread... :rolleyes:

Someone said they saw it at mlb.com, even though I cannot find it anywhere. So I was hoping someone here actually had seen something more substantive...as it was discussed here over the last couple of days, albeit briefly.

I know you´re too busy acquiring Furcal to worry about Lugo...maybe if Lugo were on the Braves the last five years, he would be as well known as Furcal and be asking for $8-10 million too.

nodiggity59
11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey does anyone know what the score is?
:D:

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Grudz can't play 3B or SS, so he does not replace Ozuna or Blum.

If the Sox have a team interested in Harris, then I can see them replacing him with Grudz as a back-up to Iguchi & pinch hitter. That's the only way this makes sense.

Ozzie liked Blum over Ozuna at 2B, he played there in the World Series after his homer if I remember correctly...or before it.

However, Harris was always the first option over there, with Blum and Ozuna both more natural at 3B than SS. Ozuna scared me everywhere he played...although he did make some impressive plays down the stretch, he also messed up his share of routine ones as well.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 04:41 PM

He just complained in another thread that we wouldn't have anywhere to play Julio Lugo, then he starts this thread... :rolleyes:I think he's just going through his baseball card collection and pulling out random players. By my count he's already proposed 87 players that the Sox should get.:cool:

caulfield12
11-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I think he's just going through his baseball card collection and pulling out random players. By my count he's already proposed 87 players that the Sox should get.:cool:

And I can guarantee you KW has already gone through 300 plus major league free agents, how do you think we came up with Jenks? Not only that, but any AA and AAA players that are unprotected....the only way to win the WS as White Sox GM is to consider every possibility and investigate it fully.

Banix12
11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
And I can guarantee you KW has already gone through 300 plus major league free agents, how do you think we came up with Jenks? Not only that, but any AA and AAA players that are unprotected....the only way to win the WS as White Sox GM is to consider every possibility and investigate it fully.

Ah, but it's KW's job to go through every single free agent option, what's your excuse for doing it?

And you don't have to tell us how Kenny Williams does his job. He does his job and apparently he understands how to win the WS as White Sox GM better than anybody else here, including you.

Patiently waiting for acquisition suggestion #88...

caulfield12
11-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Ah, but it's KW's job to go through every single free agent option, what's your excuse for doing it?

And you don't have to tell us how Kenny Williams does his job. He does his job and apparently he understands how to win the WS as White Sox GM better than anybody else here, including you.

Patiently waiting for acquisition suggestion #88...

Seriously, do you REALLY want to debate Delgado, Helton, Thome, Giles, Furcal and Pierre every single day...or whether Paulie is going to sign? Does not that get a bit redundant with diminishing returns in these conversations?

jabrch
11-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Grudz is not going to DH for the World Champs. We'd resign Everett first.