PDA

View Full Version : Some lower-tier FA´s we should look at

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
LHP Jason Christiansen...would fill the void left by a Marte deal and save the club $1.5 million

C Todd Greene...would give the White Sox a third catcher and a possible role in a ¨poor man´s¨ DH platoon

1B Scott Hatteberg...not a full-time player anymore, but would improve the bench and provide depth at 1B and DH, LH bat off bench

LHP Felix Heredia...another LH relief option, might fit in well with the Sox

OF Terrence Long....LH bat off the bench, can play any of the OF positions, also no longer a full-time player but could surprise offensively on a good club

1B-DH Tino Martinez

1B Doug Mientkiewicz

SS Pokey Reese, if healthy, but probably too old now

CF Eric Young...he might be the closest thing to what Ozzie is looking for at the start of the line-up that would be ¨free¨ for the Sox, but he´s undoubtedly too old to play everyday and would not be a better option than Rowand...3 years ago, it would have been a decent idea

LHP Kelly Wunsch

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 04:22 PM
LHP Jason Christiansen...would fill the void left by a Marte deal and save the club $1.5 million

C Todd Greene...would give the White Sox a third catcher and a possible role in a ¨poor man´s¨ DH platoon

1B Scott Hatteberg...not a full-time player anymore, but would improve the bench and provide depth at 1B and DH, LH bat off bench

OF Terrence Long....LH bat off the bench, can play any of the OF positions, also no longer a full-time player but could surprise offensively on a good club

1B-DH Tino Martinez

1B Doug Mientkiewicz

CF Eric Young...he might be the closest thing to what Ozzie is looking for at the start of the line-up that would be ¨free¨ for the Sox, but he´s undoubtedly too old to play everyday and would not be a better option than Rowand...3 years ago, it would have been a decent idea

LHP Kelly WunschBoard Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.
Charlie Donovan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0194234/): Most of these guys never had a prime.
Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.
Rachel Phelps (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926592/): Cross him off then.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.
Charlie Donovan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0194234/): Most of these guys never had a prime.
Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.
Rachel Phelps (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926592/): Cross him off then.

This is the normal way of doing business for the White Sox.

We will see if it changes. I hope so. But two or three of these guys would be valuable additions to the bench.

Do you really think anyone had Widger on their ¨radar screen¨ this time a year ago? Or Ozuna?

That´s what makes the difference...doing your extra homework on a couple of players like this could pay huge dividends in the future.

Look what Blum did...despite a horrible regular season. Or Willie Harris. We had arguably one of the worst benches on paper in the major leagues...yet it was the best for us, for this team, this year. Everything worked like a charm.

Banix12
11-11-2005, 05:25 PM

1B-DH Tino Martinez

1B Doug Mientkiewicz

LHP Kelly Wunsch

Ok, lets take these in order.
Jason Christianson - Has had only one season in the last 4 years with an ERA under 5. Pass. May save money on Marte but sadly Marte is a better talent.

Todd Greene - Injury waiting to happen. If you are going to go the 3rd string catcher/DH route, Matt LeCroy is a better hitter, can also backup at 1st, and available at a reasonable price.

Scott Hatteberg - Would consider him as a backup DH to Thomas, I don't think i would want him as a starter. Worth bringing to camp and letting him try to earn a spot, but some team will give him guaranteed money.

Felix Heredia - GOD NO! DO NOT TOUCH THIS MAN WITH A 10 FOOT POLE! I remember the disaster he was with the Cubs and he hasn't been much better anywhere else he has gone. And, um, Steroids anybody? Signing Heredia is the first sign your team has given up on the season.

Terrence Long - Not better than the minor league options and more expensive

Tino Martinez - Without that one week of dominance last season where he hit 11 of his HR's I think, his season would have looked awful, no thanks.

Pokey Reese - Not worth the veterans contract he would command.

Kelly Wunsch - Not for a guaranteed spot, would have to come in and earn a spot in spring training. Frankly I'm not all that interested.

Eric Young - See Terrance Long.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Todd Greene - Injury waiting to happen. If you are going to go the 3rd string catcher/DH route, Matt LeCroy is a better hitter, can also backup at 1st, and available at a reasonable price.

Scott Hatteberg - Would consider him as a backup DH to Thomas, I don't think i would want him as a starter. Worth bringing to camp and letting him try to earn a spot, but some team will give him guaranteed money.

I went to graduate school while Todd was killing NCAA records for Georgia Southern University. He was simply a monster in college.

He has been injured often, had all kinds of defensive issues at almost every position and never did really settle in at any set position...

But he can simply mash the ball, and his HR per at-bat ratio has always been very impressive.

Worth taking a flier on...I would rather have Greene on the bench instead of Harris-Blum-Ozuna....one or two of those guys have to go and we need some more power period, and a LH hitter to replace Timo would be nice as well.

DickAllen72
11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
If you are going to go the 3rd string catcher/DH route, Matt LeCroy is a better hitter, can also backup at 1st, and available at a reasonable price.

I always liked Matt LeCroy. Not sure if there's a spot for him on the Sox, but if KW did get him, I'd be happy.

I like Hatteberg as well, but at this point I think the Sox would be just as well with Ross Gload in the backup 1B slot.