PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams: Not interested in trading for Manny

cbrownson13
11-11-2005, 11:34 AM
"He's not that kind of guy," Ken Williams, general manager of the World Series champions, said Thursday. "We have a certain kind of chemistry."

What a great quote.

www.espn.com

kevin57
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Ken-ny!

Ken-ny!

Ken-ny!

:bandance:

fquaye149
11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
haha - i stand corrected.

I thought maybe Manny was an east coast victim...but I'm sure Kenny has done his homework.

Let's move on with this - let us hear no more talk of Manny...

(of course, didn't he initially turn down AJ....:o:)

miker
11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Who says KW isn't the Baseball Executive of the year?

Chisox003
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Shocking.

Cmon K-Dub, quit slackin and get to work on PK!!

Sad
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Woo-hooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

miker
11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
of course, didn't he initially turn down AJ....:o:
And JR had to convince him to interview Guillen...but it takes a real man to admit when he's wrong.

Stroker Ace
11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
YESSS!!!!!

He'll produce a lot, but his defense is horrible, he hot dogs and showboats too much, and he's not a great guy to have in the clubhouse. Great job KW for not wasting your time on this *******.

nccwsfan
11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Bad fit for this team. The cons far outweigh the pros.....curious to see if he'll even be moved this offseason. Doesn't appear that there are a lot of takers.

A. Cavatica
11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Ah, cheap and smart at the same time!

buehrle4cy05
11-11-2005, 02:32 PM
:putitontheboard

While I know there are a lot of people who would love to have Manny's production in the lineup, I point to one man as an example: Terrell Owens.

Way to go, Kenny!:)

LuvSox
11-11-2005, 03:01 PM
The Red Cubs can keep that self centered jag.

PAPChiSox729
11-11-2005, 03:22 PM
YESSS!!!!!

He'll produce a lot, but his defense is horrible, he hot dogs and showboats too much, and he's not a great guy to have in the clubhouse. Great job KW for not wasting your time on this *******.

Most definitely an obvious NO. He even had an MVP season from Ortiz to help him carry the Red Sox, but look where that got him. We most definitely do not want this guy.

fquaye149
11-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Most definitely an obvious NO. He even had an MVP season from Ortiz to help him carry the Red Sox, but look where that got him. We most definitely do not want this guy.

Now wait a minute - this is just stupid. Manny and Ortiz put up nearly identical numbers this year - as a matter of fact it was Manny giving ORTIZ that ungodly lineup protection. You mean to say that the reason the Red Sox didn't win had anything to do with something besides their abysmal pitching?

they had **** for arms all year and still made the playoffs. You want to tell me Manny and Ortiz weren't the main reasons for that?

PAPChiSox729
11-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Now wait a minute - this is just stupid. Manny and Ortiz put up nearly identical numbers this year - as a matter of fact it was Manny giving ORTIZ that ungodly lineup protection. You mean to say that the reason the Red Sox didn't win had anything to do with something besides their abysmal pitching?

they had **** for arms all year and still made the playoffs. You want to tell me Manny and Ortiz weren't the main reasons for that?

I'm saying it would be stupid for KW to dismantle what this team was built around in order to get Manny-like production. I'm saying that we should keep depending on our pitching to carry us to the postseason again rather than going after a bat like Manny's. Because, as the '05 Red Sox showed, he isn't going to take you anywhere single-handedly.

fquaye149
11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm saying it would be stupid for KW to dismantle what this team was built around in order to get Manny-like production. I'm saying that we should keep depending on our pitching to carry us to the postseason again rather than going after a bat like Manny's. Because, as the '05 Red Sox showed, he isn't going to take you anywhere single-handedly.

Right - except to the playoffs. And that was singlehandedly. Look - we're not going after Manny, but the fact is even if we gave up one starting pitcher (which is unlikely) we'd still be 5 deep.

The fact is, we have 5 pitchers in our rotation right now who would be aces in Boston and we have a pitcher in our bullpen who would be a starting pitcher in Boston. That is the reason Boston did not win the world series this year.

It would take a lot of **** rolling downhill to get us to the crap pitching Boston had this year, and I don't think anyone who was prognosticating what it would take to get Manny had any thought of dismantling the team, just of taking on salary.

But it looks like we won't be getting him, for better or for worse.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Or the 98 White Sox, with Belle and Thomas.

Or the 2001-2004 White Sox, with Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Thomas and Valentin

fquaye149
11-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Or the 98 White Sox, with Belle and Thomas.

Or the 2001-2004 White Sox, with Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Thomas and Valentin

this is so ridiculous - Those teams had no pitching. We could GIVE UP a starting pitcher and still be five deep. And realistically, since Boston PUT MANNY ON WAIVERS A YEAR AGO, it seems likely they would be asking for a centerfielder (to replace Damon) and some minor talent as long as we took a chunk of his salary.

I mean, JESUS - is it so crazy for me to think this?

PAPChiSox729
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Right - except to the playoffs. And that was singlehandedly. Look - we're not going after Manny, but the fact is even if we gave up one starting pitcher (which is unlikely) we'd still be 5 deep.

The fact is, we have 5 pitchers in our rotation right now who would be aces in Boston and we have a pitcher in our bullpen who would be a starting pitcher in Boston. That is the reason Boston did not win the world series this year.

It would take a lot of **** rolling downhill to get us to the crap pitching Boston had this year, and I don't think anyone who was prognosticating what it would take to get Manny had any thought of dismantling the team, just of taking on salary.

It just seems that it would be better to keep the stellar defense and selfless attitude this team has. IMO, getting Manny would ruin both of those for the Sox.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM

The problem is...has Cotts become too valuable as a set-up man to move to the rotation?

We could certainly move him into the rotation to join McCarthy in 2007, with the departures of Contreras and Garland very much possible...one if not both of them.

But then we have a LH relief issue, with Marte probably gone too. Maybe Haigwood, Liotta, Corwin Malone, Arnie Munoz or Gio Gonzalez could do the job, but that would be sticking a rookie out there in pressure situations. And I prefer to bring Gio to the majors as a starter or middle reliever (like Buehrle), not a set-up man.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 03:47 PM
this is so ridiculous - Those teams had no pitching. We could GIVE UP a starting pitcher and still be five deep. And realistically, since Boston PUT MANNY ON WAIVERS A YEAR AGO, it seems likely they would be asking for a centerfielder (to replace Damon) and some minor talent as long as we took a chunk of his salary.

I mean, JESUS - is it so crazy for me to think this?

You want to think Ozzie is a miracle worker and could make it work. But KW is never going to commit to that kind of long-term salary for a full-time DH with a Terrell Owens like history of complaining, even after winning the WS.

Maybe the Indians will bite on Ramirez returning and their entire chemstry will be ruined, lol. They would go from a $42 to $61 million dollar payroll overnight, and signing Millwood and Wickman, not to mention Elarton and Howry, would put them between $65-70. I donīt think Dolan is quite ready to do that.

We could certainly trade them Rowand, but Anderson or Young would make no sense, because all Boston wants to do is get rid of him and clear his salary from the books.

Revolution29
11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Go Kenny!

This is exactly what was going thru my mind when, during the playoffs, some of the mediots were bringing this up as an option for the Sox. We're just not that kind of team. Think of how many big, egotistical boppers our staff shut down in the post season. We made them look like our 2000 team. Manny included! Watching him follow every fly ball before even running is not something that would float well with Ozzie.

Again, good move!

WSoxFanForever
11-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Good move, KW. Manny is the TO of baseball. He has more God given talent than he should be allowed to have, but he is a clubhouse cancer. Our guys don't need that or deserve that. Manny can be Manny elsewhere--anywhere--not here.

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Yay,KW!! Manny would alter the chemistry of this club in a negative
fashion.If I wanted to hear crying,bitching and moaning,they should
have just kept Gagglio.:D: :D: