PDA

View Full Version : Yankees inquire about Rowand

cbrownson13
11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I'll put this in WTS because it's unlikely to happen and just a rumor. According to rotoworld.com

The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.
It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap.

Randar68
11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I'll put this in WTS because it's unlikely to happen and just a rumor. According to rotoworld.com

The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.
It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap.

Well, all they have is big contracts and VERY FEW prospects of any merit.

Mickster
11-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, all they have is big contracts and VERY FEW prospects of any merit.

Sign & trade with Matsui?

Randar68
11-11-2005, 12:12 PM

That's pretty much never done in baseball.

Tekijawa
11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
That's pretty much never done in baseball.

Is it even possible? I thought that if you Sign a FA you cant trade them until May?

CHIsoxNation
11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Just a little more on this topic from the NY Daily News...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/364549p-310390c.html

chaerulez
11-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Why couldn't the Sox just sign Matsui? This isn't the NBA. I'll never know the reason why anyone brings up a sign and trade when talking about MLB, I don't think this has ever happened in the history of the league (meaning signing someone just to trade them right away, maybe people have been traded after being signed before even playing a game for their new team although at least in modern times the CBA probalby has a clause to prevent that). Anyways, there is no salary cap is baseball- this doesn't happen.

Jjav829
11-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Is it even possible? I thought that if you Sign a FA you cant trade them until May?

Correct. Sign and trades are impossible in MLB. And the Yankees have nothing that I would want unless they want to pick up a ton of Arod's contract. :smile:

Jjav829
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Why couldn't the Sox just sign Matsui? This isn't the NBA.

Matsui will likely never become a free agent. The Yankees are suppoedly close to getting something done.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Is it even possible? I thought that if you Sign a FA you cant trade them until May?June 15. But you can do it with their permission.

Flight #24
11-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately for the Yankees, the White Sox are looking for a bat to replace departed DH Carl Everett, and the Yanks' biggest surplus is in starting pitching.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Cashman: Kenny, I have a ton of starters I can offer up to you!
Kenny: Do you have any that don't suck?
Cashman: Well.....um....uh......(hangs up and runs away)

ChiSoxGirl
11-11-2005, 02:24 PM
I find this whole situation to be filled with irony because I remember very distinctly back in August, when Rowand was showcasing his skills in center field at Yankee Stadium, half of the Yankees players- namely Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez (can't remember which one it was)- didn't even know Aaron's name! They were all like, "...that center fielder sure can play...." OK, he has a name, and it's Aaron Rowand, and since you're so ignorant and don't even know that, you have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to even consider having him as part of your team!

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. :redface: This just got the blood boiling this afternoon!

mjharrison72
11-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm not trying to advocate trading Rowand, but it's clear to me that if a situation arose (maybe not with the Yankees but with ANY team) where we could get what we needed, be it a DH, 1B or whatever, by trading Rowand, we have a relatively workable solution in moving Pods to center field.

I know it's different moving to left, but could Anderson do it? Doesn't he have the range and arm to be a better-than-average defensive corner outfielder?

mdep524
11-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm not trying to advocate trading Rowand, but it's clear to me that if a situation arose (maybe not with the Yankees but with ANY team) where we could get what we needed, be it a DH, 1B or whatever, by trading Rowand, we have a relatively workable solution in moving Pods to center field.

I know it's different moving to left, but could Anderson do it? Doesn't he have the range and arm to be a better-than-average defensive corner outfielder? If Pods and Anderson are ever in the same OF, I'm pretty sure Pods will play LF and Anderson will play CF.

veeter
11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I find this whole situation to be filled with irony because I remember very distinctly back in August, when Rowand was showcasing his skills in center field at Yankee Stadium, half of the Yankees players- namely Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez (can't remember which one it was)- didn't even know Aaron's name! They were all like, "...that center fielder sure can play...." OK, he has a name, and it's Aaron Rowand, and since you're so ignorant and don't even know that, you have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to even consider having him as part of your team!

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. :redface: This just got the blood boiling this afternoon! I agree. Aaron Rowand has been on the Sox since 2001. You mean it took a great series against the Yankees, in 2005, for them to realize what he could do? Don't they have any people that watch other teams? I think they're called scouts. Maybe they're just so arrogant they haven't paid attention.

SouthSoxFan
11-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Correct. Sign and trades are impossible in MLB. And the Yankees have nothing that I would want unless they want to pick up a ton of Arod's contract. :smile:
I think ARod's contract is half off, since the Rangers are picking up the other part. But he ain't available.

Unlike you though, there is one other player I'd take off their roster for Rowand and that's Cano. But I doubt they'd bite on that deal either.

MadetoOrta
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Who &*$# cares? The Yankees blow. The NY press [like a certain media conglomerate in Chicago] thinks that the minute they start printing "The Yankees want _______ [fill in name], that the world comes to an end and ______ [fill in name] will miraculously appear on the Yankees. it's a new world King George. Who's your Daddy? THE WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX!

Optipessimism
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I'd take Pavano if the Yanks picked up a good portion of his contract, making it something like $6M or $7M per year. IMO, a healthy Pavano makes a very nice fifth starter if we have to trade a starter for offense or if we aren't able to resign Contreras/Garland/Buehrle once they hit FA. If not, at least a $6M or $7M/yr Pavano is a much better bargaining chip IMO than Rowand.

I'd also take something like Chacon + discounted Wright for Rowand + El Duque because IMO Wright could be another bottom of the rotation guy depending on what KW will have to do to get a bat, or bargaining chip for a lesser bat. Chacon could be a nice LR/spot starter and would cost quite a bit less than El Duque. He's shown a lot of promise since getting out of Coors but still not yet enough IMO to be worthy of all the recognition he received late last year.

Tragg
11-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Why are they impossible - because the deal usually includes no-trade?
Indeed, the problem with trading with the Yankees is that they have so few young, inexpensive players. Maybe swing a 3 way - bring the Reds in and let the yanks send them a pitcher or two (small, e.g.) and we'll take one of the Reds' hitters.

Randar68
11-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Why are they impossible - because the deal usually includes no-trade?
Indeed, the problem with trading with the Yankees is that they have so few young, inexpensive players. Maybe swing a 3 way - bring the Reds in and let the yanks send them a pitcher or two (small, e.g.) and we'll take one of the Reds' hitters.

collective bargaining agreement... not impossible, but IIRC player has to waive that rule to do so...

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Rowand, Marte, Viscaino for Sheffield to settle our DH problem.

1 Pods
2 Iguchi
3)Sheff
4)Konerko
5)JD
6)AJ
7)Crede
8)Uribe
9)Anderson

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 08:30 PM
whats wrong with signing free agents like Eyre or Hammond to replace Marte, and Osuna or Spooneybarger to replace Viscaino.
And Sheffield last year 34 hrs 123 rbi's batted .291 and didn't test positive for roids. For only 13 million. Not to mention if he doesn't work out this year and you don't want him back, then you have a team option on him. However I don't think he would disappoint.

RallyBowl
11-11-2005, 08:34 PM

1 Pods
2 Iguchi
3)Sheff
4)Konerko
5)JD
6)AJ
7)Crede
8)Uribe
9)Anderson

:bundy

buehrle4cy05
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM

1 Pods
2 Iguchi
3)Sheff
4)Konerko
5)JD
6)AJ
7)Crede
8)Uribe
9)Anderson

Uh...if Kenny doesn't want Manny because of "character issues", then why would he want Sheffield?

jabrch
11-11-2005, 08:41 PM
I'd like to stay away from guys who trained with Barry Bonds and rubbed a little bit of whatever Barry gave them on their thighs. Sorry - too risky. Rowand isn't Gary Sheffield - and I'm proud of that. I'd consider taking on Manny, but that's cuz his name is clear of all that trouble.

ATXBMX
11-11-2005, 08:46 PM
whats wrong with signing free agents like Eyre or Hammond to replace Marte, and Osuna or Spooneybarger to replace Viscaino.
And Sheffield last year 34 hrs 123 rbi's batted .291 and didn't test positive for roids. For only 13 million. Not to mention if he doesn't work out this year and you don't want him back, then you have a team option on him. However I don't think he would disappoint.

How do you expect us to sign Konerko, and pay Sheffield only 13 million?

He probably doesn't have to test positive for steroids when he's an admitted user.

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 09:50 PM
pay Sheffield only 13 million?

Uh. He signed 3 year 39 million. According to, but not a really realiable soource Bruce Levine, just said that the money towards a DH from Carl and Frank (12 million) has no impact on Paulie's contract.

Vernam
11-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Just a little more on this topic from the NY Daily News...
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/364549p-310390c.htmlI can't believe nobody mentioned the Daily News story's hilarious contrasting photos of Crosby and Sheffield colliding to lose the flyball that cost them the ALDS with Aaron's crashing into the Cell wall to snowcone someone's long drive. But did the reporter really write that the Yanks have a "surplus of starting pitching?" :kukoo: Or, maybe there's a surplus, just not of the standard to which Sox fans are now accustomed.

I love Rowand's makeup, and I think he's an underrated part of the team's chemistry (I wish there were a better word for it). But if there's anyone I wouldn't mind seeing traded -- and I'm not sure there is -- it would be him just because his on-field value is so inflated by those catches he made in NYC and the championship run. Buy Low, Sell High is an inviolable rule, and there's a good chance his stock will never be higher. The main argument for keeping him is that Anderson might not be ready, Rowand is still pretty inexpensive, and he might yet prove that his 2004 BA will be the norm instead of 2005's BA.

But I agree that the Yankees have little or nothing to offer in return. Let's trade him to the Angels in exchange for their taking a pass on Paulie. So long as we don't have to take Finley in return. :cool:

Vernam

Tragg
11-12-2005, 12:06 PM
The Phillies or Yanks would be good conduits for trading Rowand. The Yanks for a team that needs pitching (hello, Brewers) as they really have small and/or pavano they could give up to some team that needs pitching; don't know what the Phillies have to trade, but they need a CF.

pissonthecubs
11-13-2005, 11:54 AM
i'm not for trading Rowand one bit. I'm sorry, he might not have had a great year in '05, but I think we will see next year Rowand have a bounce back year like PK had in '04 after he's low numbers in '03. AR will be back in his '04 form in '06. Prediction: .315/26/81 Trading AR for any prospect of the Yankees would be a huge mistake. I don't know if i would even take anyone off of their starting pitching staff.

D. TODD
11-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Anyone who does not like Sheffeild in a Sox uniform, if it fits into the salary limits with the team is NUTS! I don't see it ever happening, but please Sheff is a proven STUD! Again it's not going to happen, but if Rowand and a few secondary players could bring Sheff to the southside; K.W. would jump at it!!!

MsSoxVixen22
11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
OK, I've always been a big Aaron Rowand fan (and I think he's alittle underrated) and I would be really upset if they traded Aaron. Personally, I don't think they will-Aaron has been phenominal in the outfield this year and did come up with some good hits. I don't think he's going anywhere.....but if for any reason he does, it sure as hell won't be to the Yanks!

bobowhite
11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Couple of things here:

a) I would trade for Sheffield in a minute, if his price was not too high Not the greatest defensive outfielder, he's still not bad and what a bat. I don't like some of the things he's said about the WBC but so what. He can play.

b) I like Aaron Rowand, but every player on my team is available, it's just a matter of what is the price. ARow is at a career high value, especially with the Yankees. Even though Sheffield's contract is a lot more than Rowand's and even though we'd have to do things to adjust for Sheffield playing here, trading them straight up (or even nearly so) would happen in a heartbeat.

c) Vizcaino has a very important job on the Sox, keeping Uribe happy. Unload him or Timo Perez at risk of having an unhappy (read that unproductive) shortstop. Can happen? Yes. Likely? ??

SoxFan76
11-14-2005, 11:02 AM
His average with RISP was pretty good in the first half (he led the team I believe), but he really fell off towards the end. There was that stretch where if there was ever a guy on first base with less than 2 outs, Aaron was going to hit into a double play. He couldn't get the ball out of the infield.

Hopefully next year his power numbers go up again. His lower average doesn't bother me, it's the fact that his average went down AND his power numbers went down. .280 25 80 is where Rowand should be at, and that's not even stretching things.

Erik The Red
11-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I can't believe there are actually people that would welcome that jagbag Sheffield to the Sox. Have you forgotten his interview around the trade deadline last year? You know, the one where he basically said that any team that traded for him would regret it, because he didn't want to play anywhere else but NY? **** Sheffield, let him stew in NY where he will never win another ring. I don't want him or his ****ty attitude anywhere near the Sox' clubhouse.

Chisox003
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Couple of things here:

a) I would trade for Sheffield in a minute, if his price was not too high Not the greatest defensive outfielder, he's still not bad and what a bat. I don't like some of the things he's said about the WBC but so what. He can play.

Sheffield? You're kidding right??

An admitted steroid user, said he wouldn't play anywhere outside NY, a huge contract not to mention a 37 year old who missed time with injuries last year?

That's what you want right? Better yet, you want to sacrafice what we won with in the outfield -- outstanding DEFENSE -- because why again? He hit while pumping them 'roids, correct?

Right, I understand where youre coming from. :rolleyes:

Flight #24
11-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Sheffield? You're kidding right??

An admitted steroid user, said he wouldn't play anywhere outside NY, a huge contract not to mention a 37 year old who missed time with injuries last year?

That's what you want right? Better yet, you want to sacrafice what we won with in the outfield -- outstanding DEFENSE -- because why again? He hit while pumping them 'roids, correct?

Right, I understand where youre coming from. :rolleyes:

Ummm.....wasn't the theory that he'd be our DH (with Anderson slotting in for Rowand)? I understand that he may not be as good a defender as say Everett or Thomas, but I think he's got the underlying skills to pick up the defensive nuances of the DH pretty quickly.

He's a stud hitter, and would be a huge upgrade to the team. He's also on a short contract, expiring right when we'd need to resign Contreras/Garland and start thinking about extending Garcia/Buehrle.

If there's more rumors of 'roid usage than taking bad advice from Barry, fine. But otherwise, I don't think this would be something that hurts the team.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Ummm.....wasn't the theory that he'd be our DH (with Anderson slotting in for Rowand)? I understand that he may not be as good a defender as say Everett or Thomas, but I think he's got the underlying skills to pick up the defensive nuances of the DH pretty quickly.

He's a stud hitter, and would be a huge upgrade to the team. He's also on a short contract, expiring right when we'd need to resign Contreras/Garland and start thinking about extending Garcia/Buehrle.

If there's more rumors of 'roid usage than taking bad advice from Barry, fine. But otherwise, I don't think this would be something that hurts the team.This is also a guy who said last summer that if he was traded away from NY he wouldn't report. Pass.

DaleJRFan
11-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Vizcaino has a very important job on the Sox, keeping Uribe happy. Unload him or Timo Perez at risk of having an unhappy (read that unproductive) shortstop. Can happen? Yes. Likely? ??

Vizcaino is a good pitcher. He's not going anywhere.

His numbers last year were ruined by two bad LONG outings (example: Shingo blowup day on 4/7 where he kept the game tied for 3 innings until his arm gave out). Take those outings away and he is on par with the rest of the Sox ridiculously amazing bullpen. He's a solid 8th inning setup man anywhere else in baseball. He's not going anywhere.

Flight #24
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
This is also a guy who said last summer that if he was traded away from NY he wouldn't report. Pass.

Obviously, if true you don't trade for him. But oftentimes, that's just posturing. It's just IMO, but Sox+Sheffield >Yanks because of the pitching. Winning another title as a main cog would go a long way towards getting him a large contract for '07.

But I'm solidly on the Giles bandwagon because he doens't involve all of these other types of shenanigans. The only thing about him is that KW would have to chase him to show that he'd be a good fit and it's a solid, team-oriented place. But in the past (see Dye, AJ), KW's been good at showing that to guys. The catch has been can you win a title here, and I'd like to believe that's been eliminated as a concern!

Black Sox
11-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Not a fan of bringing Sheffield in unless the Yanks eat at least half of his contract.

Nevertheless, I'm not opposed to trading Aaron Rowand if the right deal comes around. But I don't think the right deal involves the Yanks.

Maybe if Ozzie really wants more speed they can do a Pierre-Rowand deal. But once again, Pierre probably makes more than he's worth to us. I think Anderson would fit nicely in center. I'd like the Sox to resign Konerko and use any remaining money to bring in a DH with power. If they can unload El Duque somewhere than perhaps they'll have more money to work with. The dream would be to resign Pauly and trade for Delgado. I'd be happy with an off season like that.

bobowhite
11-14-2005, 04:11 PM

His numbers last year were ruined by two bad LONG outings (example: Shingo blowup day on 4/7 where he kept the game tied for 3 innings until his arm gave out). Take those outings away and he is on par with the rest of the Sox ridiculously amazing bullpen. He's a solid 8th inning setup man anywhere else in baseball. He's not going anywhere.

I actually saw that game. Vizcaino didn't have much going into it, but he was the last man in the pen and I don't blame him for that game. I do blame Ozzie for burning through all his pitchers.

Vizcaino is valuable but not irreplaceable on the pitching staff. That being said, I expect he just had his down year and his up year will be this year.

I do stand by my comments about his 'other' job on the team. Keeping one of the most important difference makers on your team loose and in-focus on team issues. The chemistry of this years team was amazing. I'm curious as to how KW and OG will balance it out for another year.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2005, 04:15 PM

His numbers last year were ruined by two bad LONG outings (example: Shingo blowup day on 4/7 where he kept the game tied for 3 innings until his arm gave out). Take those outings away and he is on par with the rest of the Sox ridiculously amazing bullpen. He's a solid 8th inning setup man anywhere else in baseball. He's not going anywhere.He pitched 2.1 innings that day.

DaleJRFan
11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
He pitched 2.1 innings that day.

and?

DaleJRFan
11-14-2005, 04:20 PM
I actually saw that game. Vizcaino didn't have much going into it, but he was the last man in the pen and I don't blame him for that game. I do blame Ozzie for burning through all his pitchers.

I was there, for my birthday :whiner: And minutes after telling my girlfriend how great Shingo was, I watched a 450 foot Casey Blake moonshot fly over my head.

Vizcaino threw well in the first inning of his 2.1 inning outing. After watching Uribe sit on a routine 'shoulda been a DP' ball, the wheels came off and they kinda gave up.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2005, 04:24 PM
and?And if his arm falls off after 2.1 innings he's not much of a middle reliever.

bobowhite
11-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Not a fan of bringing Sheffield in unless the Yanks eat at least half of his contract.

Nevertheless, I'm not opposed to trading Aaron Rowand if the right deal comes around. But I don't think the right deal involves the Yanks.

Maybe if Ozzie really wants more speed they can do a Pierre-Rowand deal. But once again, Pierre probably makes more than he's worth to us. I think Anderson would fit nicely in center. I'd like the Sox to resign Konerko and use any remaining money to bring in a DH with power. If they can unload El Duque somewhere than perhaps they'll have more money to work with. The dream would be to resign Pauly and trade for Delgado. I'd be happy with an off season like that.

A couple of big chips have to fall before the Sox make any moves.

a) do they resign Konerko?
b) do they resign: AJ, Garland and Crede?
c) do they resign Frank Thomas?

When I know these I talk about ARow, El Duque and even Sheffield.

Like I said, I don't like Sheffield's attitude, but the man can hit and play DH. Would he come here for a ring? I actually like even the thought that he'd consider the White Sox the team to get a ring with.

bobowhite
11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I was there, for my birthday :whiner: And minutes after telling my girlfriend how great Shingo was, I watched a 450 foot Casey Blake moonshot fly over my head.

Vizcaino threw well in the first inning of his 2.1 inning outing. After watching Uribe sit on a routine 'shoulda been a DP' ball, the wheels came off and they kinda gave up.

I was there with my fiancee who has since left me and married a different guy.:whiner: I told her Shingo would have trouble because his stuff doesn't break much when it was that cold.

I agree, Uribe should have had that ball.

TheVulture
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
A couple of big chips have to fall before the Sox make any moves.

a) do they resign Konerko?
b) do they resign: AJ, Garland and Crede?
c) do they resign Frank Thomas?

If KW waits for all those chips to fall, particularly A and C, there won't be any moves left to make - KW says he plans on being aggressive. I don't see how you can wait around and be aggressive at the same time.