PDA

View Full Version : Good Rick Morrissey Article: Konerko Worth A Lot to Sox, But Not Huge Salary

Unregistered
11-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Good summary of most of the feeling around these parts: Konerko isn't Manny Ramirez or A-Rod - he's a great part of a team, but not the kind of player you change your entire payroll for.

And now, 16 days after that momentous event, we're being asked to take inventory of our feelings about Konerko. That doesn't seem right. This is the guy who helped carry the Sox through their playoff run. If there was a face of this team, a team of beautifully working parts, it was Konerko.

Konerko isn't worth some of the numbers that have been bandied about or, to be more accurate, he can't be worth those numbers to the Sox.

Five years, $75 million? That's not Konerko. It almost pains me to write that because it puts everything in such stark, either/or terms. But that's pro sports, and the exact thing we're doing is the exact thing the Sox and all the other interested clubs are doing. We're eyeballing and analyzing.

He needs to ask himself this question: Am I the kind of player who can carry a team? If he goes to Boston or any other team besides the Sox, that's what he will be asked to do. Maybe not overtly but certainly by virtue of the money he will make.

It sounds like a betrayal, but it's not: You're not a $15 million-per-year player, Paul. Stay put, where you belong.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051110morrissey,1,5882507.column?coll=cs-home-utility

CluelessJoe1919
11-11-2005, 04:13 AM
Morrissey is right!
Konerko is not worthy of mega-superstar money even though I know he's a cool guy and popular player.
Ask yourselves this: If the Sox wouldn't have had that tremendous pitching and finished in second or third place and out of the playoffs, what would Konerko be worth?
I want Paulie back, but if the bidding gets out of hand, I say spend the cash elsewhere.

IowaSox1971
11-11-2005, 04:34 AM
I thought Morrissey wrote a very good column about this subject. I agree with each point that was made. Konerko is a very good player who is prone to long slumps. He is not a superstar. I hope that we can keep him at a reasonable cost, but if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world.

nccwsfan
11-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Very good article- I think he hit on all of the pros and cons of keeping PK in a White Sox jersey. It's looking like the White Sox are going to do everything in their power to keep him, but not at any cost. Likewise, it's understandable for Pauly to do what's best for him and his family.

I just hope that when it's all said and done PK is playing 1B for the White Sox on 4/3/2006.

gforce
11-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Good article. I don't see PK as the player that would put the Angels or Red Sox in the World Series.

I also hate to see the possibility of losing him because of some other owner's over spending.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Congratulations, Rick. Having set up a straw man you knocked him right down. NOBODY thinks Konerko is worth or is going to get $75M.

slavko
11-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Yo. When we had our big run from the start until the All-Star break, PK had a BA w/ RISP below .200. In essence, we did it with only a minor contribution from him!!! I'm almost certain he was below .250 w/ RISP for the entire season.

While we're on the topic, no one player is going to put you in a WS. See A-Rod in Texas, Albert Belle here, etc, etc, etc.

Chicken Dinner
11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Although Paulie is well respected, his 2 consecutive seasons of 100 RBI's and 40 HR's can not be sustained by him for the next 4 or 5 years. I think A-Rod is the only players with those kind of numbers over a 6 year period. Is he a leader......yes, no question......is he worthy of 15 percent of the entire White Sox budget.........not unless he can steal 25 bags a year and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

munchman33
11-11-2005, 12:37 PM
While we're on the topic, no one player is going to put you in a WS. See A-Rod in Texas, Albert Belle here, etc, etc, etc.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that last year proved that Barry Bonds turns a losing team into a division contender. They're simply awful without him.

GregoryEtc
11-11-2005, 12:44 PM
I think PK is more valuable to the White Sox than he will be to other teams, much like Robin Ventura was. The White Sox see PK as the team leader and the guy on the team that younger players go to for advice, guidance, etc. (I know this will bring out all the PK-haters but based on the things we've heard from Ozzie and Kenny, that is definitely how the organization sees him and that is why they are ready to spend big money to keep him. A big part of their success this year was their ability to avoid a disasterous team slump. They did that by staying loose, staying healthy and staying away from clubhouse controversies. Like it or not, PK was a big part of that and he's about to reap the benefits.

On the flip side of that was Carlton Fisk. He was a strong on-field leader but not much of a clubhouse guy... so the Sox stiffed him at every turn.

They didn't want to overpay for Robin so they let him skidattle... but I'm guessing if the organization could take a mulligan on that, they would. Moralle on the team suffered after Robin left because even though he wasn't a superstar at the plate (he was consistantly inconsistant like Paulie), he was a team leader and a guy that everyone liked.

The argument could be made that this season created a LOT of clubhouse leaders on this team (i.e. AJ, Aaron, Joe, MB, et al.) so maybe they can stand to lose Paulie and still have the same kind of atmosphere. But the philosophy behind the push to keep him is IIABDFI!

kevin57
11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
How dare Morrissey steal my thoughts! :tongue:

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I think PK is more valuable to the White Sox than he will be to other teams, much like Robin Ventura was. The White Sox see PK as the team leader and the guy on the team that younger players go to for advice, guidance, etc. (I know this will bring out all the PK-haters but based on the things we've heard from Ozzie and Kenny, that is definitely how the organization sees him and that is why they are ready to spend big money to keep him. A big part of their success this year was their ability to avoid a disasterous team slump. They did that by staying loose, staying healthy and staying away from clubhouse controversies. Like it or not, PK was a big part of that and he's about to reap the benefits.

On the flip side of that was Carlton Fisk. He was a strong on-field leader but not much of a clubhouse guy... so the Sox stiffed him at every turn.

They didn't want to overpay for Robin so they let him skidattle... but I'm guessing if the organization could take a mulligan on that, they would. Moralle on the team suffered after Robin left because even though he wasn't a superstar at the plate (he was consistantly inconsistant like Paulie), he was a team leader and a guy that everyone liked.

The argument could be made that this season created a LOT of clubhouse leaders on this team (i.e. AJ, Aaron, Joe, MB, et al.) so maybe they can stand to lose Paulie and still have the same kind of atmosphere. But the philosophy behind the push to keep him is IIABDFI!

For a long time, you had a ¨fight¨ between PK and Thomas over team leadership, with Thomas getting needled a little by PK, but that was apparently smoothed over.

To me, Valentin was the best leader on the team until the 2004 season, when his onfield performance fell apart.

I will say this much for PK, he always was patient and available for a quote for reporters, even though he didn´t really like it, it was part of his responsibility as a major league player. I wish Ordonez and Lee could or would have learned something from Everett while they were here.

With no PK, the focus really falls on Mark Buehrle and AJ imo. Of course, El Duque and Jose are THE men, but for the Latin players. Dye is another ¨lead by example¨type like Harold Baines was during his career.

Crede is too soft-spoken and unassuming, Rowand just does not have the right disposition...whining and complaining and getting upset with himself in a way that seems selfish at times.

Iguchi is another form of leader...Hermanson´s a great guy in the clubhouse. I´m not too worried about this issue.

We have had our share of problem children...Jimenez, Lofton and Clayton among the top. Lee had a so-so reputation while here...and, of course, Foulke, Durham and Wunsch were criticized for being too outspoken or too frank.

bobowhite
11-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Congratulations, Rick. Having set up a straw man you knocked him right down. NOBODY thinks Konerko is worth or is going to get $75M.

I hope not.

JB98
11-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Morrissey is on the mark with this column. I'd give Paulie $52 million over four years. I'd be willing to go to $60 million over five years. If Konerko wants the extra year, I'd tell him he has to take a little less per year as a trade off. But if someone comes in and offers him $75 million over five years, forget about it. Paulie is my favorite player on the team, but let's not get ridiculous.

I won't panic if Paulie walks. KW has proven that he can make adjustments. I'm confident that we'll contend in 2006 one way or another. It just becomes a little more difficult if we lose our clean-up hitter to free agency.

nccwsfan
11-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Morrissey is on the mark with this column. I'd give Paulie $52 million over four years. I'd be willing to go to $60 million over five years. If Konerko wants the extra year, I'd tell him he has to take a little less per year as a trade off. But if someone comes in and offers him $75 million over five years, forget about it. Paulie is my favorite player on the team, but let's not get ridiculous.

I won't panic if Paulie walks. KW has proven that he can make adjustments. I'm confident that we'll contend in 2006 one way or another. It just becomes a little more difficult if we lose our clean-up hitter to free agency.

Would you be willing to do 5 years/$65 million? JMO, but I think it's going to take 5 years to lock him up...

hawkjt
11-11-2005, 01:36 PM
I really think that 5yr/65 is the magic number. I think it is the max the sox should do and I think it will get it done.

It is a 4.25 million increase over last year for PK. The sox gambled and it will cost them about 2 million/year for not signing him in the offseason. Anyway you look at it by winning it all they won bigtime and this is the price.

I do not want to break up this team trading guys to replace PK. That is why FA's are even more highly overcompensated- no trade required.

Malgar 12
11-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Actually, I'm fairly sure that last year proved that Barry Bonds turns a losing team into a division contender. They're simply awful without him.

Only because that whole division was AWFUL.

A. Cavatica
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I think there are better ways to spend $13 million a year.

Sxy Mofo
11-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I read that this morning and actually sent an email to him thanking him for a perfectly written article that sums up the viewpoint.

I never email columnists unless it's to bitch.

Jerome
11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Morrissey is right!
Konerko is not worthy of mega-superstar money even though I know he's a cool guy and popular player.
Ask yourselves this: If the Sox wouldn't have had that tremendous pitching and finished in second or third place and out of the playoffs, what would Konerko be worth?
I want Paulie back, but if the bidding gets out of hand, I say spend the cash elsewhere.

Great point! As much as I love Konerko, he was not the primary reason for the team being great. And Ozzie can talk all he wants about adding more speed, but as long as our starting rotation consists of Buhrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, and BMac, this team will be solid.

caulfield12
11-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Great point! As much as I love Konerko, he was not the primary reason for the team being great. And Ozzie can talk all he wants about adding more speed, but as long as our starting rotation consists of Buhrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, and BMac, this team will be solid.

As long as the rotation stays healthy all season long (after this year´s workload) and we either don´t have to acquire a retread fifth starter OR we keep El Duque.

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I think there are better ways to spend $13 million a year.

I agree.Konerko was an integral part of the 2005 team.But if his agent
can find a sucker (i mean suitor) dumb enough to give him 5 yrs,75 Mill,
God bless him.I don't want to see Konerko go,but if he does leave,
that money can be ear marked to lock up AJ,Garland,Crede and even
Beuhrle (he's an FA after 2007,IIRC) to multi year deals.I will feel no ill
will if Konerko leaves.I just can't fathom paying that much to one player.

SoxSpeed22
11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I think there are better ways to spend $13 million a year.http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6132.jpg"There are also worse."
Seriously though, the only reason that we won was because we cut down on high-priced players and traded that for more players for the same amount of money. We filled almost every one of our holes with different players and had enough to win.

nccwsfan
11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Seriously though, the only reason that we won was because we cut down on high-priced players and traded that for more players for the same amount of money. We filled almost every one of our holes with different players and had enough to win.

That's the key- if PK stays KW will fill the remaining holes. If PK leaves KW will fill the holes and have a lot more $$ left over to lock in key components of the team. Either way I feel very comfortable about the short/long term future of the White Sox.

flo-B-flo
11-11-2005, 10:54 PM
I read that this morning and actually sent an email to him thanking him for a perfectly written article that sums up the viewpoint.

I never email columnists unless it's to bitch. Indeed, So did I. Perfectly explained what I think about this. Way to go Rick.

gforce
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM

I never email columnists unless it's to bitch.

You should've backed it up by saying the TO article could only come from a moron.

flo-B-flo
11-12-2005, 12:09 AM
You should've backed it up by saying the TO article could only come from a moron. TO the first two letters in TOOL.

jehosaphat
11-12-2005, 12:54 AM

Is there something we actually can all agree about? I thought the article was right on target as well. Konerko is still relatively young and sure, he could get a little better (but he's not going to become A-Rod). On the other hand, the past 2 years could be the high-water points of his career. I don't put too much stock into the "team leader" factor, but he is a classy player. Put it all together and Konerko is worth going after to a point, but it is not like it will be impossible for the Sox to find a decent 1B at some point in time over the next couple years if he is gone.

But Jerome (and others) hit it on the nail. It's pitching, pitching, pitching, and defense that we must maintain - if we can throw 5 good starters while others teams have 1 or 2 good ones, 1 or 2 mediocre ones, and 1 or 2 schmucks, we'll be fighting for a championship every year. If the price of signing Konerko jeopardizes the White Sox in their efforts to keep their pitchers, it has to be goodbye and good luck to Paulie.

It will be interesting to see how it all falls out.