PDA

View Full Version : I Want

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 01:47 AM
Daisuke Matsuzaka. This guy is sick. Here is a link to his stats:

http://japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1104

chisoxjk
11-11-2005, 06:30 AM
He would be sweet. Unfortunately, since he does not have enough years of service to be a free agent, it is not so simple.

First, his current team would take bids for the rights to Matsuzaka. Whichever team bids the highest pays that money to his Japanese team. Then you can try to negotiate a new deal with him.

The Sox did not have to do this with Iguchi, since he had enough years (I think it is 10). The Mariners had to do this in order to obtain Ichiro. I think it cost them $10 million+ just for the rights to negotiate for him.

EastCoastSoxFan
11-11-2005, 10:07 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Japanese players have to sign what amounts to an 8-year rookie contract (as opposed to the 3-4 that MLB rookies typically sign) and that Japanese teams usually will not let players out of these contracts early. I'm pretty sure Ichiro and Tadahito both played out their contracts and then entered MLB at ~ 30 years of age.
I think Hideo Nomo got around this by retiring for a year or something like that and then coming to MLB.

bigfoot
11-11-2005, 04:09 PM

Matsuzaka is not a FA, but Kenji Jojima is a FA and very interested in joining a MLB team. Coming from the Fukuoka Hawks(Tad's old team) and a 6-time Best lX player(Japanese All-Stars) at catcher might a real find. Check out Jojima's stats......not #1 but in the top twn in many stats.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Matsuzaka is not a FA, but Kenji Jojima is a FA and very interested in joining a MLB team. Coming from the Fukuoka Hawks(Tad's old team) and a 6-time Best lX player(Japanese All-Stars) at catcher might a real find. Check out Jojima's stats......not #1 but in the top twn in many stats.
Yes, but he doesn't speak spanish.

34 Inch Stick
11-11-2005, 04:19 PM

KW discussed an unnamed Japanese catcher coming on the market during an interview with Levine at Soxfest last year. KW thought this unnamed catcher was one of the few if not the only Japanese catcher who would be able to play in MLB. If this is the unnamed catcher I believe he is on KW's radar screen and would not be shocked to hear the Sox were secretly working to get him.

Banix12
11-11-2005, 04:37 PM

His agent is Boras and I hear the Yankees really, really want him when he does come available. Not looking likely that the sox are in his future.

bigfoot
11-11-2005, 10:40 PM
KW discussed an unnamed Japanese catcher coming on the market during an interview with Levine at Soxfest last year. KW thought this unnamed catcher was one of the few if not the only Japanese catcher who would be able to play in MLB. If this is the unnamed catcher I believe he is on KW's radar screen and would not be shocked to hear the Sox were secretly working to get him.

Tadahito's been treated like a returning hero, especially in Fukuoka. Word has it that many of the JLeague stars have been watching with great intent. Also, Ichiro has been rumored to be open to a trade involving a contender. But Japanese sports rumors are second to none, so these rumors are probably just that, rumors.

Does AJ speak Spanish, too?