PDA

View Full Version : Clemens files for free agency

mike squires
11-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Isn't this a surprise or is he expected to be resigned by Houston. I think going one more year is a mistake. Some guys just don't know when to stop.

DSpivack
11-10-2005, 11:58 PM
don't know when to stop? he just posted the lowest ERA of his career at age 43. the future HOF NL pitcher who should quit is Maddux, not Clemens.

antitwins13
11-10-2005, 11:59 PM
don't know when to stop? he just posted the lowest ERA of his career at age 43. the future HOF NL pitcher who should quit is Maddux, not Clemens.

I agree. sign him

Soxzilla
11-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Where's he gonna pitch!?

..But seriously, we already have 5 very capable starters that are FAIRLY cheap. No need to buckle our payroll by paying 20 million to an aging veteran.

nccwsfan
11-11-2005, 06:29 AM
The only place that Clemens is going to play is Houston, so let's squash any thought of him playing elsewhere. He will either re-sign with Houston for 1 year or retire....I think he's got one more year in him, and after that it's time to hang it up. He was impressive yet again and even a mediocre Clemens is better than 1/2 the starters in the game.

He filed last year with the same intentions IIRC....

Norberto7
11-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Just curious...what happens if you don't file for free agency? :?:

fusillirob1983
11-11-2005, 08:48 AM
I think he has at least another year left in him. He needs to sit down and think about something for a minute before he re-signs with the Astros. If he really wants to win another World Series, he'd sign a smaller contract so Houston can put more money into offense. If he doesn't do that, then he should retire and let Houston split the money up between maybe a couple of pitchers and a decent hitter or two.

chaerulez
11-11-2005, 08:50 AM

Arbitration?

I'm pretty sure I spelled it wrong.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Just curious...what happens if you don't file for free agency? :?:You lose the right to sign with another team. But I believe if the Astros don't re-sign him by Jan 9 he becomes a FA anyway.

Tekijawa
11-11-2005, 09:33 AM

I think you're forced to play for the Pirates, Royals, or Devil Rays.

mike squires
11-11-2005, 12:14 PM

Which is exactly my point. He will be prone to injury and he'll retire midway through the season when he can't get the job done. Go out on top.

BNLSox
11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
If by out on top you mean, losing to the White Sox :redneck

DumpJerry
11-11-2005, 02:10 PM
:schueler
He's washed up. Are there any Cub castoffs we can sign instead?

StockdaleForVeep
11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
I think he filed for free agency to retire "again"

TheOldRoman
11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Which is exactly my point. He will be prone to injury and he'll retire midway through the season when he can't get the job done. Go out on top.
As great as he pitched this past year, you can hardly consider it going out on top considering his last performance. Not only was his team swept, but in the biggest game in franchise history he gave up 4 or 5 runs over 2 innings before leaving due to an injury. That is not the way anybody wants to go out, let alone one of the greatest pitchers ever.

Brian26
11-11-2005, 09:19 PM
The only place that Clemens is going to play is Houston, so let's squash any thought of him playing elsewhere.

Clemens doesn't even travel with the Astros on the road, so there's no point in even considering him going anywhere else.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Clemens doesn't even travel with the Astros on the road, so there's no point in even considering him going anywhere else.
Actually, his contract says that he can stay home if he is not scheduled to pitch on a roadtrip. I don't know if he actually has stayed home, but it couldn't possibly happen any more than once or twice a year. I mean, how many roadtrips of 3 or 4 games do teams have a year? Normally teams have homestands and roadtrips consisting of at least two series.

DumpJerry
11-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Actually, his contract says that he can stay home if he is not scheduled to pitch on a roadtrip. I don't know if he actually has stayed home, but it couldn't possibly happen any more than once or twice a year. I mean, how many roadtrips of 3 or 4 games do teams have a year? Normally teams have homestands and roadtrips consisting of at least two series.
I read that one of the Astros talked about how nice he is because he will text message guys on the team during games in which he is not pitching because he is not with them on those days. There was no distinction made between road and home games. I'm all for spending time with the family, but this is a bit extreme.

If Buehrle were allowed to stay away on his off days, Sox game would become boring because his antics would be missing......