PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about how we were destined to win

gobears1987
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
I think most Sox fans realized we were destined to win from the start.

Let's look back to January 2004's SoxFest. KW was booed off the stage. The fans were pissed. (And Steff became a celebrity.) Even with Ozzie, I doubt many people thought that team loaded with power hitters and what looked like a good pitching staff. (Remember we didn't think we would have a 5th starter problem and thought Loaiza would be good.) We still didn't have confidence.

Flash forward 1 year later to the 2005 SoxFest. There was optimism. Everyone had a feeling this team would be going somewhere (and this was 3 months before the season began.)

As Spring Training came, the team didn't look that great. Every pitcher except Buehrle and McCarthy was in trouble (and Mark "broke" his foot.) Our offense wasn't doing anything. We looked horrible during the games in Milwaukee too. BP and the rest of the media predicted us to finish 3rd or 4th in the division. This year was different. Sox fans had one thing to say (and many WSIers put this in their sig) Bring on April 4th.

Well, we won that game 1-0 and the rest of the season is history. It is great to be a Sox fan.

gosox83
11-10-2005, 10:54 PM
:threadrules: GREAT POST!!

I was at the last 5 Soxfests and I agree with you 100%!

What a year!!

GO SOX!!

Chicken Dinner
11-10-2005, 10:56 PM
In 2004 KW deserved to get boo'd off the stage. For christ sakes, our starting rotation had Schoenweis and Danny Wright in it!

Foulke You
11-11-2005, 12:58 AM
In '04, when you only add Juan Uribe and Shingo Takatsu to the team while letting Bartolo Colon, Carl Everett, Flash Gordon, and Roberto Alomar walk away via free agency, nobody in the Hyatt was fooled into believing the '04 squad was a better team, no matter how hard Hawk tried to sell Ozzie and Willie Harris. Thus, the natives were restless at the "Town Hall Meeting".

The following year, if there is one thing that SoxFest 2005 taught me, (as if i didn't already know) Sox fans are some of the most knowledgable around. The reason KW got a great ovation in '05 was because the fans knew the direction the team was going and knew this team was going to be better. A.J., Pods, Dye, El Duque, a full year of Freddy Garcia, and Dustin Hermanson, showed that the future looked bright for '05. This even pre-dated his Iguchi signing. While "experts" had the Sox finishing in 3rd or 4th, most Sox fans were optimistic we were going to be contending for a division title. Of course, nobody thought a World Series title was a sure thing but I think many thought it was certainly a possibility and the fans were certainly not as shocked and surprised by this team's success as the mediots were.

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 02:01 AM
until Kerry Wood wins more than 14 games:
KERRY WOOD=DANNY WRIGHT

CaptainBallz
11-11-2005, 02:33 AM
until Kerry Wood wins more than 14 games:
KERRY WOOD=DANNY WRIGHT

Oh, Piss Off!!!

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Oh, Piss Off!!!

What was that about???

FanofBill
11-11-2005, 01:04 PM
What was that about???
I think it was more about "let's forget about the Cubs, we're not looser any more, let's not even talk, write, think, dream or mention about the Cubs. We're the best team in baseball now."

Madvora
11-11-2005, 01:40 PM
our starting rotation had Schoenweis and Danny Wright in it!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Danny Wright!!!!
One of the few to lose his job every single year, and then suddenly get it back the next year for some reason. (And I think this happened about 4 times)

Iwritecode
11-11-2005, 01:44 PM
We looked horrible during the games in Milwaukee too.

You know it's funny because I went to one of the games in Milwaukee and at the beginning of the game Scott got on base and I remember looking at my brother-in-law next and telling him that Scott will be a big part of the team winning this year.

I remember how good it felt knowing we finally had a true lead-off hitter. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
This year was actually the first time I heard people talking in terms of "WHEN" they would win it all instead of "IF". For example, when I went to Midway Airport to greet the team as they returned from Boston after the ALDS, people around me were saying things like, "This is the time to be here because the crowds are just going to keep getting bigger and bigger the further they go". Also when I went to the mall the following day, the owner of one of the sports memorabilia stores was telling me how they were going to put up the huge World Series Champions banner the very next day after they won it. And this was also after they beat only Boston. They still had two whole series to win, but everyone was acting like it was already in the bag.

That's unusual for a town that hadn't seen a WS title in 88 years! But it was nice for a change. :D:

Dolly
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Let's go back even before SoxFest. I actually had the opportunity to go to Boston for game 4 of the ALCS in 2004. It was extremely tempting to sell those tickets, but I thought it would be a once in a lifetime chance. So I went, thinking that I was about to see the Red Sox get swept. I could feel the depression in Boston as soon as I stepped off the plane. Then, not only did they win that game, but they didn't lose another game after that!

My point being: I said at the time, that if Boston could do it this year, next year is our turn. And so it is! And my "once in a lifetime" opportunity to go to an ALCS game in Boston was TRUMPED by the opportunity to go to 2 division series games, 2 ALCS games, and 1 World Series game right here in Chicago! And then to win it all!!! I still just can't believe it... and yet, I knew it all along. It is, indeed, great to be a Sox fan!!!

Ron Karkovice
11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh, Piss Off!!!

:bandance:

Iwritecode
11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
This year was actually the first time I heard people talking in terms of "WHEN" they would win it all instead of "IF". For example, when I went to Midway Airport to greet the team as they returned from Boston after the ALDS, people around me were saying things like, "This is the time to be here because the crowds are just going to keep getting bigger and bigger the further they go". Also when I went to the mall the following day, the owner of one of the sports memorabilia stores was telling me how they were going to put up the huge World Series Champions banner the very next day after they won it. And this was also after they beat only Boston. They still had two whole series to win, but everyone was acting like it was already in the bag.

That's unusual for a town that hadn't seen a WS title in 88 years! But it was nice for a change. :D:

I didn't come out and say it out loud but I didn't buy any divsion champion or even AL champion stuff in anticipation of them winning it all.

It was kinda weird but during their 17-1 streak at the end of the season and through the playoffs, I almost felt the same as when I was watching the Bulls during their dynasty. It was almost like I expected them to win every game.

They almost did. :wink:

The Wall
11-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I didn't come out and say it out loud but I didn't buy any divsion champion or even AL champion stuff in anticipation of them winning it all.

It was kinda weird but during their 17-1 streak at the end of the season and through the playoffs, I almost felt the same as when I was watching the Bulls during their dynasty. It was almost like I expected them to win every game.

They almost did. :wink:

I want them to go 17-0 at the end next year :)

MarySwiss
11-11-2005, 04:45 PM
In '04, when you only add Juan Uribe and Shingo Takatsu to the team while letting Bartolo Colon, Carl Everett, Flash Gordon, and Roberto Alomar walk away via free agency, nobody in the Hyatt was fooled into believing the '04 squad was a better team, no matter how hard Hawk tried to sell Ozzie and Willie Harris. Thus, the natives were restless at the "Town Hall Meeting".

The following year, if there is one thing that SoxFest 2005 taught me, (as if i didn't already know) Sox fans are some of the most knowledgable around. The reason KW got a great ovation in '05 was because the fans knew the direction the team was going and knew this team was going to be better. A.J., Pods, Dye, El Duque, a full year of Freddy Garcia, and Dustin Hermanson, showed that the future looked bright for '05. This even pre-dated his Iguchi signing. While "experts" had the Sox finishing in 3rd or 4th, most Sox fans were optimistic we were going to be contending for a division title. Of course, nobody thought a World Series title was a sure thing but I think many thought it was certainly a possibility and the fans were certainly not as shocked and surprised by this team's success as the mediots were.

This was exactly how I looked at it back in January (except you forgot to mention Contreras). And when I bet on them to win it all, my friends all said I was crazy. The think that really kills me now is that these same friends all are saying I just "lucked out." And of course there was a little luck involved, but nobody wants to acknowledge that some thought went into it too, dammit!
And some faith that the team we had was pretty damn good! :bandance:

Chips
11-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I want them to go 17-0 at the end next year :)

I was thinking more along the lines of 173-0. :)

gobears1987
11-11-2005, 11:15 PM
In 2004 KW deserved to get boo'd off the stage. For christ sakes, our starting rotation had Schoenweis and Danny Wright in it!I'm not saying he didn't deserve it. I was just pointing out how much the mood changed in a year.

JC456
11-12-2005, 12:51 AM
I still can't believe they won it all.

History has finally arrived in Chicago and as Bob Seger sang it "Turn the Page"

The Sox did just that.

Also P.o.'d every other Sox hater in Baseball. Sox were lucky, didn't deserve it,

All I can say is 16-1 in October BABY!

World Champs!!!!

Vernam
11-12-2005, 01:49 AM

They almost did. :wink:That's so true. :thumbsup: Here's something I never expected to say: Chicago sports fans are spoiled. But it's true, at least regarding the Bulls, Bears, and Sox championships and disregarding the decades of futility. They were never seriously challenged during their runs. Sure, the Bulls had some tense moments, but they never went to a game 7. (And if not for help from the refs, IMO, Portland and Phoenix would have been swept; Utah was the only team that gave us any real battle.)

I wouldn't say we exactly got cheated by missing out on those tense moments that most championships bring, because steamrolling the opposition brings a different kind of thrill. Still, I'm looking forward to a WS06 Game 6 (assuming the AL romps in the All Star game as usual), if only to finally see them clinch a title at home!

Spoiled is right . . .

Vernam