PDA

View Full Version : Interesting trek into downtown today...

hsnterprize
11-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I was on the Orange Line going to LaSalle Street for a job interview this afternoon. When I got on the train at Midway Airport, I saw a group of high school students racing to get the train. I helped them all get on board since they had a lot of travel items with them. Turned out they were travelling in from Seattle heading to the Loop for some kind of journalism conference. I talked with one of the people in their group, and I happened to say to him, "Welcome to Chicago, home of the 2005 World Series Champion White Sox." He chuckled and said he'd expect to hear that a lot while he and his group were in town.

As we were heading towards the Loop, we engaged in some good conversation. He and his group were enjoying the views of the skyline and such. I even told him about the Cubs/Sox divide here, and he seemed to get it right away. He was wearing a Washington State Cougars cap, and I asked him "...if Washington were playing for a national championship, would you root for them just because they were in the same state?" He said, "I'd root for them to lose." I said, "That's the way we are here when it comes to the Cubs and White Sox. Rule here is you DON'T root for both teams...you're either a Cubs fan OR a Sox fan." He was pretty impressed with that. I along with another local even pointed out U.S. Cellular Field in the distance as we were getting close to the Roosevelt stop. I even said I'd like to see a Mariners game at Safeco Field someday, and he said it's a beautiful place, but attendance is down since the M's aren't winning. I told him the novelty of the new place is wearing off, and he said people in Seattle are getting idea that winning is what counts, not a fancy ballpark with a retractable umbrella-style roof. He also said the best place to sit is in the upper deck in right field.

Eventually, the guy and his group got off, and went to my interview. When I talked with the man interviewing me, I noticed he had a Sox championship banner thumbtacked on the back wall of his cubicle. I asked him if he was a Sox fan, and he really let loose. He said he was from Iowa, and because of the Cub love constantly around him while in college, as well as his dad's love for the Kansas City Royals, somehow he decided to follow the Sox. He obviously took a lot of heat from the Cub fans he was constantly around, but now he, like the rest of us, is on top of the world. His office is within sight of the parade route, and he said people had to walk so far out of the way to get inside because of the crowds.

Then on the way home, a group from Minneapolis/St. Paul was on the train with me. They were on a 6 hour layover from Midway flying home, so they decided to go into downtown for some sightseeing. As we were getting closer to the airport, I asked them some questions about the stadium issues for the Twins and Vikings. One of the people said with recent events, the vote for the Vikes to get their new stadium has turned for the worst. Nothing about the Twins new proposed stadium. I also told them the Xcel Energy Center was a lot like the old Chicago Stadium in how the upper levels were steep so Wild fans were right on top of the ice. It was a good conversation...especially since one of the people noticed my Sox cap, and commented about the team's success. They had fun celebrating the 1987 and 1991 Series wins, and they "avoided" the Sox parade when they arrived in town that day.

BTW...the interview went well, and I could be getting a new job really soon. In the meantime, I told him about WSI, and I hope he checks it out soon. He can see just how much we love the Sox, and why he did the right thing by following our team instead of that "other" team in town.

mike squires
11-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Did you ever think being a WhiteSox fan would help land you a job?:D:

Chips
11-10-2005, 09:03 PM

One of the salesman at my work swore to me last season that I got my job because my boss is a Sox and I was wearing my Sox hat when he interviewed me.

Although I am pretty sure I got the job because he was short handed and in desperate need of a body.

Soxfan35
11-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Fantasy Football once helped me get once helped me a job offer.

OzzieBall2004
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM

OMG, is this a joke....

ThatGuyOnTheL
11-10-2005, 09:14 PM

Heck, I've finished half my law school applications, and I've already used the phrase "world champion Chicago White Sox" several times....

zmz723
11-10-2005, 09:36 PM
in my essays for my college applications i included the sox in a bunch of them :D:

bahn1225
11-10-2005, 09:45 PM
I think the CTA needs to hire you as an ambassador of goodwill. :wink:

Soxfan35
11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
OMG, is this a joke....

actually, no it is true. spent almost the entire interview talking about fantasy football. but in the end the company was a joke so I declined the job.

santo=dorf
11-10-2005, 10:14 PM
and I was wearing my Sox hat when he interviewed me.

You've got to be kidding me, even if the black hat matches with the suit. :cool:

Huisj
11-11-2005, 12:41 AM
You've got to be kidding me, even if the black hat matches with the suit. :cool:

ok, a little off topic, but who's the 4th guy in your sig? I recognize Delgado, Thome, and I think Helton, but the last guy? He looks like Tanyon Sturtze with those squinty eyes and the "life sucks and I just crapped my pants" expression on his face. I'm guessing maybe Lyle Overbay, because I have no idea what he looks like, and his name gets thrown around a lot here. Is it him?

pudge
11-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Just a comment on the Wa. State/U. of Wa. rivalry, it is nuts around here. It really does remind me of Sox/Cubs.

As for using the Sox for gain - the topic of my college essay, which proved to help me get accepted, was: "Discuss one of the most important turning points in your life." Mine was of course when I made the decision to go Pale Hose over Cubbie and never look back. Whew, good choice.

pudge
11-11-2005, 01:19 AM
ok, a little off topic, but who's the 4th guy in your sig? I recognize Delgado, Thome, and I think Helton, but the last guy? He looks like Tanyon Sturtze with those squinty eyes and the "life sucks and I just crapped my pants" expression on his face. I'm guessing maybe Lyle Overbay, because I have no idea what he looks like, and his name gets thrown around a lot here. Is it him?

Looks like Giles to me.

CaptainBallz
11-11-2005, 01:42 AM

And that job done paid, i said done paid, i said done helped paid your bills....:redneck

ilsox7
11-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Heck, I've finished half my law school applications, and I've already used the phrase "world champion Chicago White Sox" several times....

Where are you applying?

Tekijawa
11-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Where are you applying?

Did you Hollywood upstairs medical school too?

That's one of my favorite Simpson's quotes.

slavko
11-11-2005, 10:31 AM

Right click the pic you're in doubt about and left click "Properties" on the pop-up menu that appears. You will know all.... (Giles was right)

Dolly
11-11-2005, 11:20 AM

in my essays for my college applications i included the sox in a bunch of them :D:

How, exactly, do you work that in?

DumpJerry
11-11-2005, 11:27 AM
My boss will hire only Sox fans. Oh yeah, I'm self-employed.....:cool: