PDA

View Full Version : City to auction Sox banners

FielderJones
11-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Wednesday November 17, noon, Daley Civic Center, 50 W Washington St.

Details here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0511100166nov10,0,150626.story).

Joosh
11-10-2005, 02:13 PM
I knew I should've ripped one of those down when I had the chance.

FRANK FORT
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Isn't Wednesday the 16th??

mjharrison72
11-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Isn't Wednesday the 16th??
You've exposed their PR person's secret plan to low-ball all the items on the auction... mwahaha!
It's poorly written, but I think what they're saying is the auction started Wednesday (Nov. 10) and goes until Nov. 17.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Wednesday November 17, noon, Daley Civic Center, 50 W Washington St.

Details here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0511100166nov10,0,150626.story).

Official release - Auction is on Wednesday and Thursday. You expect the Tribune to report it accurately?

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalContentItemAction.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@015780 1261.1131659733@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddgedhjdgkcefecelldffhdfgm.0&contentOID=536930485&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelName=Dept&blockName=Special+Events%2FI+Want+To&context=dept&channelId=0&programId=0&entityName=Special+Events&deptMainCategoryOID=

City of Chicago's
“Sharing It” Banner Auction
Helps The Needy

Attention: sports fans, art lovers, museum buffs, collectors and anyone else interested in buying a little piece of Chicago history! Mark your calendars for the annual City of Chicago “Sharing It” Banner Auction, Wednesday, November 16 and Thursday, November 17. Bidding takes place in the lobby of the Daley Center (50 West Washington St.) from noon - 1:30 p.m. on both days. Cash, checks and credit cards will be accepted (with proper identification).

The banners up for auction reflect the diverse activities that Chicago offers. Full-sized and mini banners from events such as the International Film Festival, The Chicago Marathon and the Chicago Art Institute will be available. Young people will enjoy banners of the Sesame Street exhibit at the Chicago Children’s Museum. The expected best sellers include banners that feature prominent Chicago sports figures as well as colorful and artistic designs. Also available: Taste of Chicago’s 25th anniversary—some may even be autographed by this year’s entertainers!

“This year we have to reach deeper into our pockets and help out those in need, and the banner auction is a great way for people to purchase something reflective of Chicago while raising funds for a good cause,” said James Law, Executive Director of the Mayor’s Office of Special Events. “We hope to have a good crowd each day.”

The banner auction has something for every budget, including the very popular bargain table, where many people find great deals. Also up for auction this year: tickets to Second City and the new musical “Respect”, as well as books donated by the Pritzker Military Library. The auction is organized by the Mayor’s “Sharing It” Program. “Sharing It” raises funds and collects food for the underprivileged through activities such as this banner auction, public donations, and a percentage of the proceeds from the Taste of Chicago. Proceeds are donated to the Chicago Anti-Hunger Federation and the Greater Chicago Food Depository. “Sharing It” also helps the Department of Human Services buy turkeys for Thanksgiving, and pays for toy giveaways and clown performances at Chicago children’s hospitals during December. Last year’s “Sharing It” banner auction raised over $25,000.

LongLiveFisk
11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Does anyone here on WSI plan on placing a bid? :D:

soxfanreggie
11-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Wish I could get up there to bid...but alas, it's too far a trip. Wish you could bid on some on-line. You would probably raise even more money that way.

clogoodie
11-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Anybody have any realistic idea as to how much these are gonna go for? They'd certainly be awesome to own, but if people are gonna be bidding thousands for these, then it's not worth the bother to attend. Guess I could take home a Blues Fest banner instead...

Sox35th
11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Anybody have any realistic idea as to how much these are gonna go for? They'd certainly be awesome to own, but if people are gonna be bidding thousands for these, then it's not worth the bother to attend. Guess I could take home a Blues Fest banner instead...

I read in the Sun-Times today (Page #4) that banners from the Marathon and the Cubs division title were going for $525-$600!! I would think Sox banners would see the same if not more$$ (The auction is set to start Wednesday)

It great to see the city help out the underprivileged and help Sox fan get some great merchandise!! But, I think these banners will be out of my budget!!

Good luck for those bidding!!

Law11
11-11-2005, 02:36 PM

There's a frame place in Arlington heights, Great Frame up I think.
They have these smaler versions of the exact banner in their windows
for sale. Its located on Arlington Heights Road.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2005, 02:38 PM
You have to go down there to bid? That sucks. Why can't they put them up for sale on line, starting at 12:00 on Thursday?

dakuda
11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
There's a frame place in Arlington heights, Great Frame up I think.
They have these smaler versions of the exact banner in their windows
for sale. Its located on Arlington Heights Road.

I just called there, no dice. He didn't know what I was talking about.
SOuth Elgin didn't have anything either (closer to home for me).

Law11
11-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I just called there, no dice. He didn't know what I was talking about.
SOuth Elgin didn't have anything either (closer to home for me).

Grand Frame & Gallery
(847) 253-9393
213 S Arlington Heights Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Just called. The window banner they have is not for sale.
But they have all these other Sox framed pieces in the window.

I'm going to head over there this weekend.

34 Inch Stick
11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
They raffle these signs every year. I would expect to see Sox stuff going for 500-750.

steff
11-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Does anyone here on WSI plan on placing a bid? :D:

I'm gonna go... I've forfitted all requested Christmas and Birthday gifts for the next two years to be able to bid...

LongLiveFisk
11-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna go... I've forfitted all requested Christmas and Birthday gifts for the next two years to be able to bid...

That's cool...let us know how it goes. I'm more than just a little curious to see how much those babies bring in!

steff
11-11-2005, 05:25 PM
That's cool...let us know how it goes. I'm more than just a little curious to see how much those babies bring in!

I'm assuming about what I paid for my Fisk/Seaver jersery... :o:

I called to see if one would be donated to the MLBAPAA for the charity golf outing.. if so I am going to pass on going down there. The one at the outing will likely be signed by players and the demand wont be so high.

Fungo
11-16-2005, 04:13 PM
They raffle these signs every year. I would expect to see Sox stuff going for 500-750.

This is what I thought they might go for as well, but to give you an example of how much things were....

3 large street banners, one AL Central Champs, 1 American League Champ and 1 WS Champ and also some small round baseball banner made of felt or something went for $7500

3 mini banners of the Central, AL & WS along with a flag that was hung in City Hall went for $4700

When the first banner, a 2005 Taste of Chicago banner went for like $700, I knew I was in trouble. Too rich for my blood.

a cubs NL Central banner from 2003 went for I think $550

I can't remember what the "Mayor's Bet" set went for, maybe Steff can remember. It included the set of 3 mini banners, a banner saying something about his bet with the Anaheim Mayor (or whereever he is from), a surf board and a script from the TV show 'The OC' signed by everyone in the cast.

Steff, I really hope you were able to get something, but it may have cost you Christmas and Birthday gifts until retirement. Like I said before, too rich for my blood. Maybe tomorrow things die down a bit.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2005, 04:29 PM
I can't remember what the "Mayor's Bet" set went for, maybe Steff can remember. It included the set of 3 mini banners, a banner saying something about his bet with the Anaheim Mayor (or whereever he is from), a surf board and a script from the TV show 'The OC' signed by everyone in the cast.

Steff, I really hope you were able to get something, but it may have cost you Christmas and Birthday gifts until retirement. Like I said before, too rich for my blood. Maybe tomorrow things die down a bit.

I think the surf board and stuff went for in the upper 6 or low 7 thousands.

The $7,500 3 Banner set went for the most.

One Single White Sox World Series banner went for $5,000.

A Payton banner from the late 1990s went for a few thousand. Two Jordan banners went for $4,500 (or ten times my puny $450 bid).

They had the nerve to auction a small Sosa banner (I booed).

Even the small banners (about 1 1/2 feet by a few inches) went for over a grand when it came to the White Sox.

Taste of Chicago banners and Marathon banners could be had for a few hundred. Same with Lincoln Park Zoo and other non sports related stuff.

The bargin bid was VERY unorganized - the workers were clueless and it was chaos. They will have bargin items tomorrow but you should get there early if you want to get something halfway decent. I bought a Chicago Welcomes President Bush St. Patricks Day Parade 2002. All the bargin banners were $20. They had stuff from Northwestern, DePaul, The Big 10 Basketball Tourney, some Beatles stuff, Monet, Gospel Fest, the 1996 Democratic Convention, and other city events and places.

I told them to put a list online (they had hundreds of banners but nobody knew what they were - they had a few lists and gave only one or two for the hundreds of people to share. They should put the stuff up on eBay - they would get more than $20 for many of the banners in light of the insanity I saw today. They must have taken in close to double the $25 k earned last year - and this was only 1/2 the merchandise.

the gooch
11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
the surf board and white sox wager banners were the first sox things up for auction. they went for the 'bargain' price of $2700.
more importantly, i saw the full size 93 west div champs banner go for only $700. it was also early in the bidding. thats less than the marathon banners.

two or three years down the line they will open up the 05 sox stuff again and it will be much cheaper. i plan to wait it out.

eriqjaffe
11-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Grand Frame & Gallery
(847) 253-9393
213 S Arlington Heights Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Just called. The window banner they have is not for sale.
But they have all these other Sox framed pieces in the window.

I'm going to head over there this weekend.The owners are big Sox fans - poke around, they've got all sorts of Sox stuff in there - a seat and a piece of the outfield wall from old Comiskey are among the highlights.

Fungo
11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Anyone go to day 2 of the auction? Wondering if things died down a bit or if there was still a big crowd. Prices still high?

ChiSoxGirl
11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Anyone go to day 2 of the auction? Wondering if things died down a bit or if there was still a big crowd. Prices still high?

I didn't go, but I heard on the news last night that the entire auction brought in over $130,000 for the city. Over $65,000 of that came on Sox banners alone :o:, so my guess is that the high prices you speak of from the first day never came down.

steff
11-18-2005, 01:04 PM
The prices were mad. I didn't get anything but it's because I found out that they are in fact going to have 5 banners at the golf outing. I'm hoping those will be a bit less.

Jerko
11-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I could have bought tickets for both World Series game from a broker for less than that banner went for!