PDA

View Full Version : a REAL world series

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-10-2005, 01:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2205331

Valentine's Chiba Lotte Marines are now ready to conquer the world, or at least the White Sox. So said the former Mets manager, who's in his second year in Japan and just led his team to a four-game sweep of the Japan Series. No foreigner has ever managed into the final round, and the experience has clearly had an effect on Valentine.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/1027/photo/a_valentine_195.jpg
AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi
In his second year as manager of the Chiba Lotte Marines, Bobby Valentine led the team to the title in the Japan Series.

Not only is he proposing a true global championship series, he actually thinks the Marines can win. Crazy? It's anyone's guess, but Valentine told the Associated Press that after watching the White Sox and Astros on TV, he's sure his Japanese players would shock their major league counterparts.

"I can tell you the level of play is equal," Valentine said. "[The Marines] are as good as any team I've ever managed. I'd put them up against the winner of the World Series and I know we'd win at least a couple of games."

Valentine had his enemies, plenty of them, and he knows he's tweaking the very people who wish he'd stay in Japan forever, never to be heard from again. But if MLB is looking for more competition, better TV ratings -- and, sure, more money -- they should be listening. Bring Valentine and his tough little team to the U.S., and let him and Ozzie Guillen go at it for a week.

Baby Fisk
11-10-2005, 01:16 PM
That's just, uh... "Bobby being Bobby". He likes making noise for the media. The concept is interesting, but the 2005 White Sox are no more. Now is contract time.

Palehose13
11-10-2005, 01:19 PM
US World Series Champions vs. Japan Champions would not be a "real" world series. There are other leagues (Latin) in this world too.

Madvora
11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I posted something about this weeks ago. I would love to see this. Too bad it can't happen.

nccwsfan
11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
It couldn't happen this season, but count me in as someone who would love to see something like this. To me that would be a lot more fun than the World Baseball Classic that's coming up in March and already sounds a little fishy......

bobowhite
11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
It's certainly not unheard of for a Japanese team to visit Arizona or Florida for their spring training. Although scheduling in a bunch of games for the MLB champ and the JPBL champ might make Grapefruit or Cactus league scheduling problems, who cares. I'd love to see the 2006 White Sox (and a good portion of the 2005 Charlotte team) take on the Marines. The Marines would be required to ditch their home uniforms they, no professional baseball team should be allowed to play in black and pink.

Norberto7
11-10-2005, 02:57 PM
*yawn*

What does MLB have to gain from this? Nothing.

What does MLB have to lose from this? A lot more than the Japanese leagues.

Why would they do it? I wouldn't. Nothing to gain, everything to lose situations are to be avoided.

oeo
11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I think it would be interesting, I'd like to see how Japan's teams match up against our teams. And I'm all for more baseball! I can't wait until baseball starts again and it's only been 2 weeks since it ended.

ChiSoxRowand
11-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Japan is a AAAA league. This idea is stupid.

batmanZoSo
11-10-2005, 03:35 PM
I could go for a Chiba Latte right about now. :cool:

Unregistered
11-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Isn't this story like 2 weeks old? :?:

Chips
11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Japan is a AAAA league. This idea is stupid.

Four straight perfect games from our starters instead of just complete games.

SOXintheBURGH
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Since everyone in Japan knows eachother maybe Tadahito has the secret formula for four perfect games.

Baby Fisk
11-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Put it this way: if SHINGO TAKATSU routinely shut down the playoff batting orders that he faced, the Sox would destroy the Japanese team as follows:

14-0
14-0
14-0
11-0 (mercy rule invoked, honourable Japanese surrender, etc.)

doogiec
11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
The Japanese league (as well any other league) should be allowed to compete with MLB for the World Championship ONLY after they have proven themselves to be a "Major" league.

They would do this by playing a schedule comparable to the MLB schedule (Japan plays a significantly shorter schedule, giving them a huge advantage in November). They would do this by allowing teams to recruit unlimited foreign players, just as MLB does. They would do this by competing directly against MLB teams for free agent players on a regular basis. They would do this by becoming an option for top American players to move to.

The White Sox won the World Series with Americans, Cubans, Dominicans, Venezuelans and Japanese, the best the world can offer. Until other leagues recruit the top talent from around the world, they will remain minor leagues, and undeserving of a shot at being called World Champions.

I want Mags back
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Isn't this story like 2 weeks old? :?:

Yeah Valentine said this after we won game 3.

:threadblows: