PDA

View Full Version : No offer for Konerko

manders_01
11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Mike Murphy just said on WSCR that NO offer was made to Konerko yesterday per his agent.

Madvora
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Well this is new on the Trib website. It just says that no formal offer was made. He's got a lot of teams interested in him. He knows the Sox want him. There's really no reason to make an offer because the Sox are going to have to come to him in the end and compete with the highest offer out there.
His purpose is to test the free agent market.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051109soxrogerskonerko,1,236162.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Landis said the Sox have not made any formal offers to Konerko, acknowledging he is intent on exploring the market. This contradicts reports from media outlets in Chicago that the Sox had given him a four-year, $52 million deal in hopes of getting an extension before he could entertain outside offers.

SOXPHILE
11-10-2005, 01:26 PM
He's just quoting from the Phil Rogers article. Moron Murph doesn't think Konerko will be back with the Sox anyway, so he's gonna play that up as much as he can. If Murph doesn't think Paul's coming back, then it MUST be true !

MsSoxVixen22
11-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Until ne thing comes from MLB directly I'm taking everything else with a grain of salt.

doublem23
11-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Until ne thing comes from MLB directly I'm taking everything else with a grain of salt.

That's probably the best way to look at things.

That said, I expect the Sox to sign Konerko next Friday. I'm sure he and his agent are going to take some time to talk to other teams, to make sure no one wants to drop an A-Rod-sized contract on Paul. When he sees that there's not going to be any offer substantially better than the Sox's in terms of money and years, he'll realize that leaving right now would be foolish on his part.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2005, 01:57 PM
The Daily Southtown begs to differ with Mr. Murphy:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/101sd1.htm

Lip

DaleJRFan
11-10-2005, 02:00 PM

Lip

This is insane.

If we have to move a couple guys to do that, trade a couple pitchers, we'll do that. Kenny and (board chairman) Jerry (Reinsdorf) will do everything they can to bring Paulie back.

Trade Garland or Garcia to make salary room for Konerko? You've got to be kidding me.

caulfield12
11-10-2005, 02:21 PM
This is insane.

Trade Garland or Garcia to make salary room for Konerko? You've got to be kidding me.

I prefer to think of it this way....instead of starters, he could also just as easily be talking about El Duque, Marte and maybe Rowand.

With Thomas and Everett costing only $4.0 million instead of $13 or whatever, a dumping almost $7 million between Marte and Hernandez, we could easily sign Konerko without having to trade any of our starters.

CLR01
11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
This is insane.

Everyone knows Konerko was more important to the in the WS run than our pitchers. Kenny doesn't deserve Exec. of the year if those are his intentions.

kitekrazy
11-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Funny that the Southtown seems to have info no one else has. It looks, smells and tastes like (Edit: Major language filter violation, see you in two weeks) to me.

I get the feeling Paulie would not have the same success playing for another team.

RallyBowl
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Everyone knows Konerko was more important to the in the WS run than our pitchers. Kenny doesn't deserve Exec. of the year if those are his intentions.

:tealpolice:

CLR01
11-10-2005, 02:36 PM
:tealpolice:

Why the need for teal? Sorry that I am not bending down to kiss Konerko's ass but it would be easier to replace his production than our pitchers.

antitwins13
11-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Why the need for teal? Sorry that I am not bending down to kiss Konerko's ass but it would be easier to replace his production than our pitchers.

I agree. It was the four horseman that got us to the series not "Walnutz." With that being said we would be a weaker team without him.

DaleJRFan
11-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I prefer to think of it this way....instead of starters, he could also just as easily be talking about El Duque, Marte and maybe Rowand.

With Thomas and Everett costing only $4.0 million instead of $13 or whatever, a dumping almost $7 million between Marte and Hernandez, we could easily sign Konerko without having to trade any of our starters.

OK, I feel better now. That makes more sense. I got really worried.

hawkjt
11-10-2005, 02:41 PM
You have to wonder if the sox are leaking info about an offer to make sure that soxfans know they are making a sincere effort to sign PK, or if the PK camp is leaking info to make sure the other teams know the where the bidding starts.

I hate when these numbers get out before anything is done. Could it be a way to cover themselves or hiss off the PK camp so nothing gets done?

It always amazes me that info leaks out when really it is Kenny,PK and landis only in the know. Who's talking?

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 02:46 PM
This is insane.

How do you read it that way? I mean honestly, WHERE in the article does it say that?

Sheesh... get real...:rolleyes:

Paulwny
11-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I doubt you'd get any takers for El Duque. It's become evident that his health issues in NY and Chi will never allow him to pitch an entire season. Plus it's anyone's guess as to his real age.

DaleJRFan
11-10-2005, 02:55 PM
How do you read it that way? I mean honestly, WHERE in the article does it say that?

Sheesh... get real...:rolleyes:

C'mon Voodoo. I'm up to 1450+ posts. You should know by now that I am stubbornly reactionary and excitable. Gimme a break, man.

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 02:56 PM
C'mon Voodoo. I'm up to 1450+ posts. You should know by now that I am stubbornly reactionary and excitable. Gimme a break, man.

No problem... what do you want broken? :wink:

caulfield12
11-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I doubt you'd get any takers for El Duque. It's become evident that his health issues in NY and Chi will never allow him to pitch an entire season. Plus it's anyone's guess as to his real age.

There will be some team that comes along in the spring after they suffer some pitching injuries and they will need a fifth starter...the White Sox needed one for four years.

I don´t think they will be able to get another team to take his entire salary...but somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5-3.5 million is very possible.

If you look at some of the crazy FA deals for pitching, where the market for most is $8 million in up, you would think a smart GM would sign 2-3 El Duque´s and hope that one or two worked out, as happened with Loaiza and the Sox in 2003. Obviuusly, Gil Heredia did not...but it´s a great thing when those longshots come through and emerge as Cy Young pitchers for most of the season. Just does not happen very often.

Paulwny
11-10-2005, 03:01 PM
There will be some team that comes along in the spring after they suffer some pitching injuries and they will need a fifth starter...the White Sox needed one for four years.

I don´t think they will be able to get another team to take his entire salary...but somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5-3.5 million is very possible.

If you look at some of the crazy FA deals for pitching, where the market for most is $8 million in up, you would think a smart GM would sign 2-3 El Duque´s and hope that one or two worked out, as happened with Loaiza and the Sox in 2003. Obviuusly, Gil Heredia did not...but it´s a great thing when those longshots come through and emerge as Cy Young pitchers for most of the season. Just does not happen very often.

IIRC the sox were the only team to offer El Duque a contract this year. Yep, the sox will eat money on his trade.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2005, 03:11 PM

LipTail gunner Joe again. Ugh.

manders_01
11-10-2005, 04:00 PM
You have to wonder if the sox are leaking info about an offer to make sure that soxfans know they are making a sincere effort to sign PK

I don't agree. They have no reason to leak anything to assure fans. Common sense says that they will make Paulie a legimate offer. This isn't a player with attitude or one that has serious highs and lows.

or if the PK camp is leaking info to make sure the other teams know the where the bidding starts.

All they have to do is look at his current salary and add a minimum of 50-80% (depending on what the team feels he's worth). Yeah, Paulie's got some leverage being a World Series champion, but I can't see him (and in turn, his agent) being unreasonable enough to expect more than that.

RallyBowl
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM

Oh, I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were saying he was MORE important than our pitching staff. I guess we agree then.

DaleJRFan
11-10-2005, 04:14 PM
No problem... what do you want broken? :wink:

Can you go over to Mooresville and give Jimmie "Eye Brows" Johnson a little of that Voodoo business for me?? :redneck

Settembrini
11-10-2005, 04:27 PM
I agree. It was the four horseman that got us to the series not "Walnutz." With that being said we would be a weaker team without him.

Don't you think it was a combination of Konerko and the pitching? Game 3 of the ALDS, Games 3-5 of the ALCS (7 RBI). He had 15 post-season RBI.

Hitmen77
11-10-2005, 04:37 PM
From Daily Southtown article:
Guillen said the Sox would trade current players under contract in order to get money together in order to get a deal done for the first baseman.

With the increased revenue the Sox will get from ticket/luxury suite sales after the WS win, I doubt they will need to dump salaries in order to afford a $5 million increase in Konerko's salary.

Iwritecode
11-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Tail gunner Joe again. Ugh.

Several sources indicated Konerko and his agent, Craig Landis, were sent a four-year, $52 million offer Wednesday.

Who should we believe? Paulie's agent or Joe and his "several sources"?

:rolleyes:

Iguana775
11-10-2005, 04:50 PM
This is insane.

Odd...I didnt see any names specifically.

DaleJRFan
11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Odd...I didnt see any names specifically.

Stop picking on me, you jerks!!!

hawkjt
11-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I am not saying either side is leaking info but if not you just wonder where does the press get any numbers? They probably just make it up.

Kenny has said he wants to do it out of the press so I guess they just make up the numbers.

bighurt2719
11-10-2005, 06:13 PM
That's probably the best way to look at things.

That said, I expect the Sox to sign Konerko next Friday. I'm sure he and his agent are going to take some time to talk to other teams, to make sure no one wants to drop an A-Rod-sized contract on Paul. When he sees that there's not going to be any offer substantially better than the Sox's in terms of money and years, he'll realize that leaving right now would be foolish on his part.

i concur wholeheartedly.

DickAllen72
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I expect the Sox to sign Konerko next Friday. I'm sure he and his agent are going to take some time to talk to other teams, to make sure no one wants to drop an A-Rod-sized contract on Paul. When he sees that there's not going to be any offer substantially better than the Sox's in terms of money and years, he'll realize that leaving right now would be foolish on his part.

I think you're right on target.