PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill garbage: Sox think PK will leave- trade for Delgado/Thome?

The Dude
11-10-2005, 12:27 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Chicago White Sox (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW)

Updated:11/10/2005According to the Chicago Sun-Times, while the White Sox have made a four-year, $52-million offer to 1B Paul Konerko, they anticipate he will leave as a free agent and are exploring trades for Philadelphia's Jim Thome or Florida's Carlos Delgado.

EDIT:
I know we've discussed possible trades if he doesnt resign, but to say we dont expect him to is just bull****! Why even offer a deal and say how much he means to the team if youre just going through the motions?

samram
11-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Well, according to PK's agent, the Sox haven't even made an offer. Let the speculation and conjecture commence!

D. TODD
11-10-2005, 12:40 PM
It seems at least as likely that we will not sign him, as it is that we will keep him, so it is only wise to start seeing what trades we can make to replace him. I like Paulie, but most of the names that have been thrown out in possible trades are better players. I'm sure K.W. will be prepared and not overpay for Paulie, or overpay with players in a trade if need be. I would LOVE Carlos Del Gado on the southside, but any real decisions are still a LONG way away.

michned
11-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I just wonder if Thome will come back strong after the injury (36 yrs. old next season) and how much salary Philly will pay to unload him. Think he's due about $14m next year.

F1RaceFan
11-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Crank the Hendrix!

My premise for this trade is based on the Marlin's desire to cut payroll.

Marlins get:
Contreas $9.0 (FL interested)
Rowand $5.0 (Anderson needs playing time)
Crede $1.5ish <arb guess? (Boras client)

White Sox get:
Delgado $13.5 (PK replacement)
Castillo $5.0 (Ozzie's #2 hitter)
Lowell $9.0 <guess (I like Joe much better)

The negative of this deal would be hurting our chemistry by dealing Crede and Rowand, but when I consider who Joe's agent is I worry about JR willingness to deal with him. Also, I think Lowell is on the downside of his career. An apparent problem would be the salary we take on. Consider, we take on $27.5ish this year and lose $15.5, but the difference is about what we would pay PK.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Updated:11/10/2005According to the Chicago Sun-Times, while the White Sox have made a four-year, $52-million offer to 1B Paul Konerko, they anticipate he will leave as a free agent and are exploring trades for Philadelphia's Jim Thome or Florida's Carlos Delgado.

EDIT:
I know we've discussed possible trades if he doesnt resign, but to say we dont expect him to is just bull****! Why even offer a deal and say how much he means to the team if youre just going through the motions?The key phrase is "According to the Chicago Sun-Times". From a Tribune article today: Landis said the Sox have not made any formal offers to Konerko, acknowledging he is intent on exploring the market. This contradicts reports from media outlets in Chicago that the Sox had given him a four-year, $52 million deal in hopes of getting an extension before he could entertain outside offers.

Flight #24
11-10-2005, 03:45 PM

EDIT:
I know we've discussed possible trades if he doesnt resign, but to say we dont expect him to is just bull****! Why even offer a deal and say how much he means to the team if youre just going through the motions?

Answer: Sportsline's stirring crap up. Here's the actual ST quote - As the White Sox make their final offer to Paul Konerko while holding exclusive negotiating rights with the free-agent first baseman, they already have made plans for life without their most consistent offensive performer.

That doesn't say they expect to lose him, it says that if they do lose him, they have plans in place. Which is exactly what you'd expect them to do. Unless you really think that any GM would go into this without any backup plan.

EDIT: It also goes on to say that KW's looking for a LH power hitter even if Paulie resigns, so the fact that he's exploring those trades means nothing regarding their thoughts on Konerko returning.

MadetoOrta
11-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I wonder what the Astros fans were saying last year at this time about the prospect of losing Carlos Beltran.

santo=dorf
11-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Supposedly Levine said KW talked to the Rockies today about Helton and speculated the Sox could send Rowand, El Duque/Garland and a pitching prospect without much salary relief.

Flight #24
11-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Supposedly Levine said KW talked to the Rockies today about Helton and speculated the Sox could send Rowand, El Duque/Garland and a pitching prospect without much salary relief.

It would have to be El Duque if you're not assuming much salary, and even then it's kind of a headscratcher why you'd give up a Rowand in the deal to take on that albatross of a contract.

That said, if they have the wherewithal to take on Helton's deal, that says a lot about payroll. And unless that assumes they lose Konerko, there's a drool-worthy prospect of Pods-Iguchi-Helton-Konerko-Dye-AJ-Uribe-Crede-Anderson.

:drool:

Chips
11-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Crank the Hendrix!

Marlins get:

White Sox get:

The negative of this deal would be hurting our chemistry by dealing Crede and Rowand, but when I consider who Joe's agent is I worry about JR willingness to deal with him. Also, I think Lowell is on the downside of his career. An apparent problem would be the salary we take on. Consider, we take on $27.5ish this year and lose $15.5, but the difference is about what we would pay PK.

I hate this deal. Hopefully this won't even be dicussed.

jabrch
11-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Interesting - not with Garland, or McCarthy, but with Duque and a non-Bmac pitcher...

Concerned about his sudden power dip, and hit significant home/road splits, but he'd be interesting.

santo=dorf
11-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Concerned about his sudden power dip, and hit significant home/road splits, but he'd be interesting.
His homers were down this year, but he slugged .534 on the years.

2005 home/road splits: .353/.471/.616/1.087 .287/.418/.453/.871

career: home: .374/.468/.693/1.161
away: .297/.397/.518/.915

Of course the dip in OPS is noticeable, but he still owns a career OPS > .900 on the road.

The other question is is Helton is willing to waive his NTC to come here.

Tragg
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Rowand AND Garland AND a prospect for Helton?
That would be a horrendous trade. Taking full salary makes it an outrage. (presumably, he would be "free" if yoiu took full salary).

FWIW, I wouldn't touch 2005 slumpers.

That's why we need to sign Konerko. We have to give up TALENT for the Delagados or the Heltons (if we really want Helton for some reason).

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Supposedly Levine said KW talked to the Rockies today about Helton and speculated the Sox could send Rowand, El Duque/Garland and a pitching prospect without much salary relief.Is Wes Helms part of the deal?

TheOldRoman
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Crank the Hendrix!

Marlins get:

White Sox get:

I don't want to rip you too bad because you are new, but that trade is beyond horrible. Why the **** would we give up one of the best pitchers in baseball, a gold glove caliber CF, and a gold glove caliber 3B who is clutch as all hell and just approaching his prime?
Also, why would the Sox get a secondbaseman when we already have one, and pick up the massive contract of an over the hill third baseman? This trade makes no sense whatsoever.

Chisox003
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Crank the Hendrix!

Marlins get:

White Sox get:

Hopefully your second attempt will be much better.

:kukoo:

Tragg
11-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Crank the Hendrix!

Marlins get:

White Sox get:

The negative of this deal would be hurting our chemistry by dealing Crede and Rowand, but when I consider who Joe's agent is I worry about JR willingness to deal with him. Also, I think Lowell is on the downside of his career. An apparent problem would be the salary we take on. Consider, we take on $27.5ish this year and lose $15.5, but the difference is about what we would pay PK.I bet the Marlins would do that deal...they get way the best of it.
These proposed deals demonstrate why we need to sign Konerko; or if not, sign Giles or someone. Because to get a front line hitter, we don't have enough depth not to create a glaring hole somewhere. This deal would create 2 glaring holes at 3rd and front line pitcher, while using up Konerko's money.

gr8mexico
11-11-2005, 06:15 PM
The Sox will make something big happend.I think they might try to get Philly to send them Bobby Abreu the guy has power and speed and he's the left handed bat that Ozzie wants.What about if the Sox send the Phillies Jermaine Dye,Damaso Marte for Bobby Abreu with the Sox picking up all of his Contract. 1.Pods 2.Iguchi 3.Abreu 4.Konerko 5.Thomas 6.A.J 7.Rowand 8.Crede 9.Uribe The team would be filled with great defense and speed. I would also think that Abrue and Konerko numbers would get even better because they would see alot more fastballs with so much great speed at the top of the order.

MarySwiss
11-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Crank the Hendrix!

Marlins get:

White Sox get:

Don't think so.

Domeshot17
11-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I wont even bother to waste more board space copying and pasting all the trade rumors.

Abreu would cost more than Dye and Marte

Luis Castillo is fast, and if we did not already have a great 2b, cool. But whats the magic plan, Castillo at 2nd, Tadahito at short and Uribe at 3rd? I mean common, think before you type please. Or Lowell to 3rd, and Iguchi on the bench?

Common guys, think before throwing something on the wall.

Abreu would cost-Anderson/Rowand- a good spec, a good starter major league ready, and an arm in the pen. so say its Anderson-Young-el Duque and Marte, I dont even know if THAT gets it done.

Also, Abreu being Venezualen won't impact anything. If he was a FA maybe, but he can ask to be traded to the white sox, doesnt meant it will happen.

gr8mexico
11-11-2005, 07:36 PM
If the Phillies are talking about Abreu for V.Wells now thats crazy why would they do that.If Abreu wants to play for Ozzie then he will find a way to do it.Abreu would be the perfect fit for this team.P.S Wells and Dye hit about the same this year.I wont even bother to waste more board space copying and pasting all the trade rumors.

Abreu would cost more than Dye and Marte

Luis Castillo is fast, and if we did not already have a great 2b, cool. But whats the magic plan, Castillo at 2nd, Tadahito at short and Uribe at 3rd? I mean common, think before you type please. Or Lowell to 3rd, and Iguchi on the bench?

Abreu would cost-Anderson/Rowand- a good spec, a good starter major league ready, and an arm in the pen. so say its Anderson-Young-el Duque and Marte, I dont even know if THAT gets it done.

Also, Abreu being Venezualen won't impact anything. If he was a FA maybe, but he can ask to be traded to the white sox, doesnt meant it will happen.

veeter
11-11-2005, 07:49 PM
With all due respect in the off season this site almost resembles whitesox.com. These scenarios are ridiculous. One guy says we'll get Castillo, the perfect number two hitter. O.K., what then , do we trade Iguchi? The Levine quote was good too. Lets send El Duke, Garland and another prospect for a guy who had a terrible year and makes $60,000,000,000. IF Konerko stays, very little will happen. IF he goes KW needs to replace him. That doesn't mean trade 6 guys for 5 guys. Or 4 and 2 prospects, blah, blah blah. What gets into some of you guys? The Sox are the World Champions. Some guys think we need to overhaul the team! I don't get it.

santo=dorf
11-11-2005, 08:07 PM
With all due respect in the off season this site almost resembles whitesox.com.
I agree, especially with people making comments like;
Lets send El Duke, Garland and another prospect for a guy who had a terrible year and makes $60,000,000,000. IF Konerko stays, very little will happen.
.320/.445/.534/.979 is "terrible?" :?:

veeter
11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I agree, especially with people making comments like;

.320/.445/.534/.979 is "terrible?" :?:Don't base everything on the numbers. The guy wasn't the same hitter he's been, agreed?

Domeshot17
11-11-2005, 08:36 PM
If the talk is about Helton, keep in my mind he played through injuries before and after his DL stint, and still posted solid numbers. Helton is quitely becoming a first ballot hall of famer IMO, and if those numbers are from a down year, then that says alot.

And to the comment if Abreu wants to play for Ozzie, as a player under a long term contract, it doesnt meant much. Freddy Got Lucky that he wanted to play for Ozzie and the Sox found a way to get it done. It is not as simple as "Abreu says: Hey Phillies, deal me to the white sox, Phillies call up white sox and say, hey Abreu wants to play for ozzie give us a fair deal, Kenny williams says, Hey Phillies, we will give you Damaso Marte and the WORLD SERIES MVP, Phillies go: WORLD SERIES MVP, WOW, YOU GOT A DEAL" These are the same guys that asked for Garland and Bmac for Billy Wagner.

Vernon Wells is mucher better than Dye. Hes a gold glover with huge offensive potential, and I believe we have yet to even see the beginning of Wells.

I just wonder too, to all the people drooling over having Bobby " HR Derby" Abreu over Paulie, if they have seen Abreu's splits from first to 2nd half, and you thought paulie was streaky.

RallyBowl
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't want to rip you too bad because you are new, but that trade is beyond horrible. Why the **** would we give up one of the best pitchers in baseball, a gold glove caliber CF, and a gold glove caliber 3B who is clutch as all hell and just approaching his prime?
Also, why would the Sox get a secondbaseman when we already have one, and pick up the massive contract of an over the hill third baseman? This trade makes no sense whatsoever.

:Rocker:

santo=dorf
11-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Don't base everything on the numbers. The guy wasn't the same hitter he's been, agreed?
Based on what, the first 3 months of the season?
How would you like me to judge Helton if you don't want me to look at his numbers? :?:

2nd half of the season: .367/.488/.623/1.111

Tragg
11-11-2005, 09:45 PM
. Helton is quitely becoming a first ballot hall of famer IMO

??? Maybe IF he produces like he has for another 9 years; and he'll have to do it for at least another 5 to get even a veterans committee admission to the hall in 30 years (unless he gets Kirby Puckett treatment).
He's in a hitters era in a hitters park and he has 270 homers and 1500 hits. He has 1/2 of Palmero's production and Palmero doesn't pass the "great player" test.
His power is way down from prior years - that's my concern.

VivaOzzie
11-11-2005, 09:56 PM

I like to consider myself uncommon. Do I still have to think first? :redneck

veeter
11-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Based on what, the first 3 months of the season?
How would you like me to judge Helton if you don't want me to look at his numbers? :?:

2nd half of the season: .367/.488/.623/1.111 How about 7 homers and 27 rbi's on the road. That's crap for what he's paid.