PDA

View Full Version : 2001 ChiSox worst base-runners in MLB

No-Neck
07-27-2001, 09:42 PM
All year, just one baserunning blunder after another. These have killed any rallies.

It's happening every game.

Everyone on this team getting thrown out on stupid baserunning blunders.

Durham, Lee, Singleton, Clayton... EVERYONE

Next Spring training, our manager should instill the art of baserunning on everyone.

I've never seen such bad baserunning in all my life. I wonder what the other teams are thinking. Or maybe they're just thanking their lucky stars.

FarWestChicago
07-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Next Spring training, our manager should instill the art of baserunning on everyone.

Maybe the'll be watching Tom Emanski videos on base running next spring. :)

Mathew
07-27-2001, 09:47 PM
The Sox are also the slowest team this side of the Brew Crew. They are bad because they are slow and lack the hustle to make up for it. Baseball needs speed. When Durham used to stael run get on base and lead the league in runs he was a good baseball player. I've defended him all yaer from you guys but no more. I still like him but I would get rid of a lot of players for some speed. Chicago is one of the few teams that have not brought up any good fast players since Durham first came and he is no longer either.

Procol Harum
07-28-2001, 01:23 PM
I can remember some other Sox teams that were slower--the mid-and late 80s Sox come to mind (Fisk, Kittle, Luzinski, Vance Law, Greg Walker were all like Konerko--doubleplays waiting to happen anytime someone got on base) but this current team is both slow and --worse--amazingly stupid on the basepaths. The Emanski videos might be a good move for next spring

cheeses_h_rice
07-28-2001, 01:56 PM
I think it comes down to coaching, partly.

Obviously, you're never going to get much speed out of guys like Konerko, Alomar, Perry, Lee, Liefer, etc. But does the coaching staff on the White Sox do any sort of scouting of the opposing teams' players for the upcoming game and relay that info to the Sox players? To me, it seems like they do very little of this. Studying a pitcher's delivery and tendencies, coupled with the ability of the catcher to throw guys out trying to steal, might be a big first step for the White Sox. That way, they wouldn't make fools of themselves stealing and getting caught by 2 feet, and running themselves out of potential rallies. Also having knowledge of how strong the "guns" are are on the other team's outfielders -- to me, it seems that the Sox often treat every right fielder as having the same ability, even though we know there are some guys out there with Vlad Guerrero-type arms.

I also think the Sox's hitting coach does very little advance prep work with the hitters as far as preparing them to hit against that day's pitcher. Rather, it seems the Sox approach every pitcher the same, and instead of trying to pepper singles through gaps in the defense, or get a bunt single, they all just swing very very hard at everything, and hope that that works.

In the end, I think it comes down to laziness on everyone's part. Do the Sox this year seem like the kind of team that is willing to put in extra hours and maybe a little strategy/thought to compensate for their relative lack of ability? Not at all. And that's a problem that needs to be rectified starting with the manager.

Jerry Manuel, are you listening?

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 06:57 PM
I was looking back at old threads and came across this one and found it funny. ChiSox are still the worst base-runners in 2003. We can't bunt either. Will this change in 2004? At least for Jerry....HE GONE!!!

awesomefan
11-09-2003, 12:53 AM
You just hit on a pet peeve of mine......bad bunting & base running blunders.

I hope Ozzie will put a stop to this embarassment. This will mean alot more WINS for the White Sox.

idseer
11-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
I was looking back at old threads and came across this one and found it funny. ChiSox are still the worst base-runners in 2003. We can't bunt either. Will this change in 2004? At least for Jerry....HE GONE!!!

whoa!!!!

you dig back over 2 years browsing threads? you must be in a hospital bed somewhere!

(lord, don't let that be true. :smile: )